Chapter 37

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

Mina drove immediately to where Chaeyoung is, according to Dahyun she's staying at her mom's house. She's trying to calm herself down because the last thing she wants to happen now is for her to get into another accident. Mina needs to see Chaeyoung right now. 

 

After reading the letter that Chaeyoung made for her, Mina has so many unanswered questions. But she shrugged it all, she doesn't even mind now what happened to them. All she wanted was to see Chaeyoung... still alive. 

 

Her eyes were blurry from the welling up tears as pulled up in front of Seohyun's house. Mina took a deep breath before stepping out and knocking at their door. It took a few minutes before it was opened but as soon as Seohyun saw her, it bursted into tears and hugged Mina tightly. 

 

"Oh Mina..." she sobbed as she caressed Mina's hair. "Darling you're here" 

 

"M-mom.. I'm sorry, I really am" 

 

Seohyun wiped the tears from Mina's cheek as she held Mina's hand tightly. "Don't be sorry, you've done nothing wrong. I may not know what really happened between the two of you but I know.. I know that whatever it is, your love for each other is still strong" 

 

Mina nodded at her and smiled timidly. "Where is she, mom?" 

 

The door from Chaeyoung's room was locked, it was really true when her mom told Mina that she's always locking herself up and didn't even bother to go out anymore. Mina's heart hurted a little more. She inserted the key and slowly turned the knob, quietly opening the door. Much to her surprise, Chaeyoung wasn't in her bed. Mina grew nervous when she can't see Chaeyoung around. 

 

Mina slowly entered the room, it was so dark because the curtains are closed. She switched on the light and Mina saw how messy it is. She almost ran to the bathroom when she heard Chaeyoung screamed. And that scene will forever haunt her, she knows. 

 

Seeing Chaeyoung so vulnerable like that in her arms makes her so mad at herself. Mina couldn't imagine how was Chaeyoung for all those months, alone and suffering like this everyday. Looking at all those painkillers and other medicines made Mina think about how much is Chaeyoung hurting because of this disease. 

 

The next day, Mina woke up early than Chaeyoung. She took it as a chance to admire her wife because God knows how much she misses waking up beside her. Her face became more skinny than the last time she saw her, her under eyes are getting dark too. Chaeyoung's lips are so pale and dry, Mina closed her eyes and kissed it gently, afraid of waking her up. 

 

After those months of being away from each other, Mina could say that last night was the most peaceful night they both have ever since. Looking at Chaeyoung sleeping so soundly, she just knows that she's feeling the same. 

 

As she watched her, Mina doesn't know why she feel that she already forgiven Chaeyoung. It's true that she was hurt so much that it almost killed her, but she was never angry to the point that she wanted to forget Chaeyoung. 

 

Maybe her heart just knows. Mina's heart knows how deep Chaeyoung's love is for her. And her heart felt the same. 

 

Mina stood up from the bed and started opening the curtains, letting the sunlight light up the room a little. She also tidied up some of Chaeyoung's dirty clothes laying on the floor. As she was brushing her hair, Mina was startled by Chaeyoung who suddenly ran towards the bathroom after waking up. 

 

She followed her in panic only to see Chaeyoung vomiting nonstop again. Mina helped to hold her hair and caressed her back softly. It pains her to see Chaeyoung lile this. She gave Chaeyoung a tissue as it stood up and went to the sink yo wash . 

 

"Baby, can you get my painkiller? It's my bedside table" 

 

"Alright, wait for me here. Lean at the sink in case you get dizzy again" she hurriedly gets the medicine and went back to Chaeyoung. 

 

Mina hugged Chaeyoung from behind as she's still recovering from the usual morning attacks. Chaeyoung held Mina's hand that's rested on her stomach and slightly caressed it. 

 

"Don't worry too much, okay?" 

 

"How can I not worry, Chaeng? When I see you suffering like this" Mina sighed. "Are you like this everyday?" 

 

"Hmm, some days I woke up fine. But a day won't really passed by without me getting dizzy and having a headache" 

 

"I'm really sorry baby.. You've been going through with this all alone" Mina said in a sad voice but Chaeyoung turned around and cupped her face. 

 

"No, I should be the one saying sorry to you, love. If you'll ask me, really.. I wouldn't want you to see me like this. I don't want you to worry" 

 

Mina stared at Chaeyoung, pain is evident in her eyes. "Is that why you kept it from me and lied?" 

 

"Yes.. I'm sorry" she answered and looked away. 

 

"Oh baby.. what do I do with you? You don't have to keep it from me. You don't have to protect me from another suffering or grief. Before you did that, I just hoped you asked me first if I don't want to suffer with you. Because Chaeyoung... I'd also die for you"

 

Chaeyoung's heart was so overwhelmed with so much love for Mina that she was even speechless. She doesn't know what she did in her past life to deserve this because clearly, she doesn't deserve to be loved by Mina like this. 

 

She pulled her into a kiss, that they purposely tried to last long until they need to break it to gasp for an air. 

 

"Mina.. let's go back to our home" 

 

That afternoon, they decided to go back to their house. Mina drove because Chaeyoung can't risk their lives if she will be the one to drive and she suddenly gets dizzy. Not now that her head is still aching. 

 

"You know what love, Dahyun never listened to me" Chaeyoung said while shaking her head. 

 

"She's just worried about you.. about us"

 

"I know.." she held Mina's hand. "But I wasn't ready for you to read it that early, baby" 

 

"What do you mean, Chaeyoung? We should be glad that Dahyun did it, right? Because I wouldn't have had a chance to read it.." Mina looked at her, her eyes are full of hope. "because Chaeyoung... you won't die" 

 

Chaeyoung stared at Mina for a moment before she broke a smile. Then Chaeyoung looked outside the window slightly gripping on Mina's hands. 

 

It was true that they should be thankful for Dahyun because if she hadn't gave that letter, they will not be beside each other right now. There were so many "what if's" on their mind. Such scary thoughts. 

 

What if Mina didn't read it right away? 

 

What if she already decided to leave? 

 

What if is it too late.. what if Chaeyoung is already dead? 

 

Mina shook of that thoughts and focused on driving. She glanced at Chaeyoung who's still holding her hand but looks like is on a deep thought. 

 

"Chaeng.." she called out to get her attention. "When will be your next check up? Or do you still see your Doctor or not?" 

 

"Well.. uh.." Chaeyoung gulped, afraid to tell the truth but she already promised not to lie and hide. "I haven't gone to the Doctor ever since.. I was diagnosed, Mina" 

 

"When were you diagnosed? Please.. be honest" 

 

"During the last two weeks when I was away.. I suddenly collapsed and Somi brought me to the hospital. They did a full body check up on me and there..." Chaeyoung explained as detailed as she can. 

 

"What?!" Mina's brows furrowed. "That was almost three months ago, Chaeyoung! Are you really planning to kill yourself?" 

 

"Baby.. don't be mad" she pouted and caressed Mina's hand. But Mina is still ignoring her. Chaeyoung sighed in defeat. "Okay, let's go to the Doctor tomorrow. Please come with me. I promise I'll have that check up" 

 

"You better do so!" 

 

As soon as they arrive at their house, Mina tidied up and cleaned their place. But the first one she cleaned is their room, she changed the sheets and the pillow covers. Chaeyoung insisted to help but Mina just let her to rest, she's sleepy too. It was one of the side effects of her painkillers. 

 

She took a bath after cleaning and Chaeyoung was still asleep. Mina don't have anything to do so she just decided to cook their dinner. As soon as the food was cooked, Mina heard a slow music playing. She stopped for a while to locate where it's coming from or if it was theirs, and.. it is. 

 

Mina slowly walked out from the kitchen, trying to just peak on what's happening at the living room. But her heart doubled in joy when she saw Chaeyoung.. waiting for her with hand held out, waiting to be touched by hers. 

 

The lights were dim with the slow mellow music as a background. Mina walked towards Chaeyoung, genuine smiles plastered on their faces. Those look of love in each other's eyes, which never faded after all that happened and they've been through. 

 

"Hi, baby" Chaeyoung greeted once Mina placed her hand on her. She smiled at Mina and kissed the back of her hand. 

 

Mina was blushing at that moment, Chaeyoung could still make her feel these butterflies even after all these years. 

 

"Hi.. love" 

 

"May I have this dance with you?" Mina chuckled as she nodded. 

 

"You're so cheesy as ever, Son Chaeyoung" 

 

They both laughed at that until Mina's heart almost stopped beating. Chaeyoung wrapped her hands on her waist, slowly pulling her more closer. Mina draped her hands on Chaeyoung and rested her chin on her shoulder. 

 

Their bodies slowly swayed to the music, enjoying and feeling all of the emotions they're getting. They both knew at that moment that they couldn't live without each other. 

 

"I love you, Chaeyoung. I love you so much it hurts.." 

 

Chaeyoung leaned her head onto Mina as she closed her eyes. "I love you more, my love. I am sorry for hurting you like this when I promised to always make you happy" 

 

"You don't have to feel sorry for hurting me Chaeng.. because when I chose to fall in love with you, I also chose to be hurted by you" 

 

Chaeyoung stopped moving their bodies which made Mina look at her. She's staring at Mina again, as if she's just one of those impossible dreams. Tears are forming in her eyes. 

 

"Why.. why did you love me this much Mina? Why did you still choose to stay with me?" 

 

Mina placed her hand on Chaeyoung's face. "Do I still need to explain that, my love? I just.. love you so much, that's it. And if I need to go through that pain over and over again just to be with you and dance with you like this.. I'll still do it. I will stick and stay with you until the end, baby"

 

"But Mina... I am dying" 

 

Chaeyoung knew it was insensitive of her to say those words but she need to say it. They needed to be realistic. And it was their painful reality. 

 

She saw how Mina tried to fight those tears from escaping her eyes. Instead, she pulled Chaeyoung for a kiss. 

 

"Can I ask you something?" 

 

"What is it?" 

 

"Chaeyoung will you try and stay alive for me?"

 

At that moment, Chaeyoung felt the desperation on Mina's voice. She's begging but she doesn't showed it that way. Chaeyoung saw how Mina badly wants her to live. 

 

And that made Chaeyoung think about all of her selfish thoughts. Of her wanting to end things.. ending her life. 

 

Why am I giving up on my life when Mina, my wife, the love of my life... is fighting for me just so I could live? 

 

Chaeyoung stared into Mina's eyes, wanting her to feel the sincerity for the words she was about to say.  

 

"Yes baby.. I'll fight this cancer, we will get through this together" she smiled and kissed Mina. 

 

Death is inevitable but I'll try to fight it for you. 

 

I'll fight death just so I could live with you. 

 

"I promise, Mina.. I'll stay alive for you"