Chapter 36

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

Chaeyoung was woken up by the loud ring of her phone. She haven't slept for that long  yet there's already someone who's disturbing her. Still half asleep, she reached for her phone on the bed side table. Chaeyoung squinted her eyes by the sudden brightness from her phone since her room is really dark. 

 

"Hell-" 

 

"Yah! Son Chaeyoung! Where are you?!" 

 

She removed the phone away from her ear, startled by the shout at the other end of the phone. Chaeyoung furrowed her brows because it's an unknown number but she can't forget that voice. The voice she once adored.

 

"Sana?"

 

"Yeah it's me you ! Where are you? Let's talk!" Sana's voice was clearly mad. Chaeyoung could only sigh and agreed to meet up with her. 

 

Chaeyoung arrived at the cafe Sana told her and she's already there waiting for her. She's glaring as Chaeyoung is walking to the table and Chaeyoung could only guess that Sana already knew what happened between her and Mina. 

 

"Stop glaring and say that you miss me" she joked but Sana is still seriously mad. 

 

"Sit down because you have a lot of explaining to do" 

 

Over a cup of coffee, they started talking about what Sana wanted to know. Chaeyoung didn't know that she would be this mad, knowing that they all have a very not so good past. 

 

"Explain now, Chaeng. Why did you do that to Mina? Why did you cheat?!" 

 

Chaeyoung sighed, she's been asked about this question for how many times now but still, she doesn't know how to answer. It's really hard to lie sometimes. 

 

"Well.. uh I don't know. It just happened" she shrugged and sipped on her coffee out of nervous. 

 

"It just happened? No, don't lie to me now Chaeyoung" Sana said, unamused. "I know you so well and I know how much you love Mina! And you should also know that better, because you see, I saw it and experienced it with my whole being" 

 

"Sana... I don't know how to answer you, okay? But that's it, I cheated. We're over" 

 

"You're still an " Sana said on a gritted teeth. "Have you already forgotten how you chose her over me that time? That even if I begged and gave you everything, it's still Mina until the end? So what's this now, Chaeyoung?" 

 

"You... you won't understand" 

 

"What part of you, cheating on Mina I won't understand? I still consider you as my friend, Chaeyoung.. and I know how much you loved each other! Can you get your together?!" 

 

Chaeyoung stared at Sana, the sadness in her eyes showing. "Sana, I wish it was that easy. But no... because I am dying. I'll leave her either way" 

 

Sana was silenced as if processing what Chaeyoung said. Her jaw dropped and she cleared before she could talk again. 

 

"What are you saying? How are you dying? Is this a fake excuse?!" 

 

"Sana I have a cancer" Sana's shoulder dropped as looked at Chaeyoung unbelievably. "Now that you know, can you please not tell it to Tzuyu? Because I know she'll say it to Mina and that's the last thing I want to happen" 

 

Chaeyoung went back home after that, somewhat glad that she's able to at least be honest with Sana. And Chaeyoung knows she could trust her, she's holding on to Sana's promise to never tell it to Tzuyu. 

 

Even though she haven't slept fully last night, Chaeyoung still forced herself to wake up early the next day. She's planning to visit Mina again on the hospital, to see her even for the last time. Chaeyoung is still so eager to talk to her. 

 

But when she arrived at the hospital, she was greeted by a sad news that Mina already was discharged early that morning. Chaeyoung was so down that day, she doesn't know how to see Mina again. She pulled up her courage to dial her number but it was out of reach. Chaeyoung also drove to their house, trying her luck that Mina might be there.. but she's not. 

 

Chaeyoung roamed her eyes around their house, it was so different now. It's evident that no one stayed there for a while now as she could see dust and dirt forming on every corners. She doesn't why but she felt like crying, she crouched at the living room, reminiscing how their once happy and lively house became this dark and lonely. 

 

She knows where Mina is now at this point, but Chaeyoung also know that she can't just show up at Taeyeon's house. It will just cause another problem and she knows where her place stands now. 

 

That whole week without seeing or even talking to Mina was killing Chaeyoung more than her cancer. She can't take it anymore so she decided to passed by at Taeyeon's house, trying her luck again to even just at least have a glimpse of Mina. Her heart was about to jump out when she could already see Mina even when she's still far. Mina was looking lovely watering those flowers on their garden, the sun slightly hitting her face. 

 

Chaeyoung pulled up on a distance but stayed on her car, not even planning to get out. She's fine just admiring Mina like this, Chaeyoung's feeling a little better watching her. 

 

Chaeyoung is back on locking herself up in her room. Dealing with her worsening situation everyday. She wanted to always see Mina even just like that but these days, she's so afraid of driving alone because she's getting dizzy out of nowhere. 

 

She heard a knock on her door when she walked out from her bathroom. Chaeyoung opened it only to be surprised on seeing Dahyun. 

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

"Obviously, visiting you and checking up if you're already dead" Dahyun sarcastically said and rolled her eyes at her. "What the hell! Is this a room or a cave?!" 

 

Chaeyoung closed the door once Dahyun was inside, ignoring her rants about her room. She just continued on changing her clothes. 

 

"How are you? Are you going on your weekly check-up and drinking your medicine?" 

 

"How am I? I don't know.. getting worse I guess?" she shrugged. "And yeah.. I'm drinking those ing meds" 

 

But.. it's been a while now since she visited her Doctor. Chaeyoung has been ditching her check-up schedules. She's just too afraid to hear about how is her health going now. 

 

"Anyway, I went to the flower shop of Mina's friend yesterday. Nayeon is her name right?" Chaeyoung nodded at her as an answer. "Well... I don't know if I should say this to you or not" 

 

Chaeyoung creased her forehead because of Dahyun's sudden hesitation. "Just tell me already, my head is aching already" 

 

Dahyun sighed and walked to her, placing her hand on Chaeyoung's shoulder. "I know that she's Mina's friend so I kinda asked how is Mina right now, you know.. so that I could at least tell you too. Then, I heard a news.. uh Chaeng, Mina is going to US at the end of the month" 

 

Chaeyoung doesn't want to believe it, she knows that Nayeon might have just heard it wrong. She knows Mina won't leave, she can't leave her like that. 

 

Or maybe... she can. Because Mina is tired of loving me, right? 

 

She wasted no time and asked Dahyun to drive her to Mina's workplace. They could still see her before she goes home from work. Chaeyoung was so desperate at that time to talk to Mina, to ask if it's true. To ask Mina.. if she's really leaving her. 

 

Chaeyoung was walking back and forth outside the company of Mina, she kept looking at the entrance where Mina would usually go out. Five minutes after five, Chaeyoung failed to see Mina but she saw the girl who's she's been jealous of. It's Eunha. 

 

She didn't even think twice, Chaeyoung approached her, swallowing her pride. Eunha was startled to see her there, obviously not expecting her. 

 

"Hi, Eunha right? I hope you still remember me" 

 

Eunha blinked twice and nodded. "Of course, yes! Mina's w-wife right?" 

 

"Y-yeah.. well I just want to ask you if where's Mina?" 

 

Eunha seemed confused why she's asking her about Mina but she also got sad. "She didn't come to work today, well actually for weeks now. But.. she went here yesterday. Uh, don't you know that she already resigned?" 

 

Chaeyoung was so dumbfounded, she's so silent even on their way back home. So many thoughts are running on her mind. And of it is... 

 

It's true. Mina is really leaving me here. 

 

Once she got back on her room, Chaeyoung rummaged on her drawer. Dahyun was just watching her, she knows that her friend might feel and think how pathetic she's looking right now. Chaeyoung handed out the paper to Dahyun, who took it with confusion. 

 

"What's this?" 

 

"Keep it. And when I... I die.." she cleared the lump on . "Please give it to Mina.. promise me to give it to Mina" 

 

She cried so hard that whole night, Dahyun was even hesitant to leave her but she told her she'll be fine. As days go by and Chaeyoung knew Mina would be leaving soon. She won't eat, she can't even sleep.. Chaeyoung already shut out everybody from reaching her. Dahyun was even calling her nonstop and even going back to their house but she won't even open the door of her room for her. 

 

" it Chaeyoung! You coward! If you already want to die while doing nothing then fine! But me? I won't let it happen!" she heard Dahyun shouted outside her door. She even smacked the door hard before Chaeyoung could hear her descending footsteps. 

 

Chaeyoung just want to give up at that moment. She just wanted to die.. even before Mina could go and leave her. It's funny how she's so afraid of Mina leaving her when in the first place, she was the first one who left. 

 

She's now at her bathroom, sprawled on the floor again. Chaeyoung is crying and screaming in pain while holding her head. She's vomiting nonstop and she just wished it'll end right away. For her life to end right now. 

 

Chaeyoung closed her eyes, her whole being is just tired. She was about to collapse when she felt soft hands catching her. She wanted to laugh at herself because she's even hallucinating now. 

 

Because she can see Mina, crying in front of her while holding her. 

 

Even on my hallucinations, you were haunting me Mina.. 

 

"Chaeyoung..." 

 

Or except that... she's real. When she heard that voice, the voice she'd been longing for to hear. Chaeyoung tried to open her eyes more, wanting to know that she's really here. 

 

"M-mina...? Is that you? Are y-you really here?" 

 

"Yes, baby.. I am here.." Mina was crying so bad, and Chaeyoung felt like all her suppressed emotions just broke out at that moment. 

 

She slowly raised her hands and touched Mina's face. Caressing it, tracing it, making sure that this is not one of her daydreams. But it's real, everything was real. 

 

Mina is finally here. 

 

Mina pulled her in a hug and they both cried in each other's arms. They didn't even know what emotions were there right now. It's pain, sorrow, longing, joy, happiness... love. All mixed together. 

 

Chaeyoung is now laying on her bed, with Mina beside her. She helped her to clean up and even put her to bed. It feels surreal for Chaeyoung, to have Mina here and take care of her. She can't stop but to stare at here, she misses her so much. 

 

"Mina... I'm sorry, I'm really really sorry" 

 

Mina caressed her face and shush her. "Don't be sorry, my love. I understand.. I understand"

 

"No..." Chaeyoung shook her head as she cried. "I was so selfish Mina.. to keep everything from you. To keep you out of my life" 

 

"I know but I understand.. I know why you had to do it but, can you promise me something?" 

 

"What is it baby? Tell me.." 

 

"I hope this will be the last time you'll do this, Chaeng. I just want you to remember our wedding vow.. in sickness and in health. Right?" Mina smiled at her, tears are also escaping on her beautiful eyes. 

 

Chaeyoung nodded as she wiped Mina's tears. "Yes Mina.. I promise to live with iur vows. I know it's too late now because I already put you through so much and I want you to know that I regret everything" 

 

"You're already forgiven, baby" 

 

"How did I get so lucky to have you?" Chaeyoung pressed their forehead together. "I'm sorry for giving you so much pain when I should've given you more love. I'm sorry-" 

 

But her words were cut off when Mina's soft lips touched hers. She's kissing Chaeyoung slowly but passionately. It was such a kiss of relief, a kiss that could convey how much they miss each other and how.. she's already forgiven. 

 

Mina broke out the kiss and stared at Chaeyoung lovingly. They both smiled at each other. 

 

"Chaeyoung, you're my favorite pain"