Chapter 33

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

It's almost a week since Chaeyoung walked out of their house and... Mina's life. She's been staying with her mom for those days. Chaeyoung is so glad that her mom is here to help her and to at least, give her strength.

 

Going to work is so hard for her everyday but she can't just ditch all of her responsibilities. Not now that their big project from Taeyeon's company is still on-going. Chaeyoung's head is always aching specially when she's overworking herself. Somi on the other hand is always looking out for her and Chaeyoung knew that Yeri is already suspicious of them. 

 

"Did you already drink your meds?" Somi whispered to her when she saw her massaging her temples. 

 

Chaeyoung shook her head, eyes still focused on her computer. "Later" 

 

Somi rummaged on the paper bag on top of her table. She's been sitting beside Chaeyoung since they came back to work on their office. Chaeyoung already said that she doesn't need to stick with her like that but Somi is so stubborn and insisted. 

 

"Okay. Then eat this first before drinking" she handed a pack of bread and banana milk to Chaeyoung. 

 

As Chaeyoung was placing it on her table, a loud thud from Yeri's workspace made the both of them startled. They both look at Yeri who's already standing, obviously mad while glaring at them. 

 

"Hey, Yeri are you okay?" Chaeyoung asked. 

 

"You startled me! What's your problem?" Somi added in. 

 

But Yeri scoffed at them and walked to their table. "I just don't get it! I tried to shrug it off for days now but it's already bothering me. What are you two hiding?!" 

 

"What are you saying?" Chaeyoung tries to look not suspicious as they already are. "There's nothing wrong.." 

 

"Oh. Really, Chaeng?" then she pointed at Somi. "And you! I should be the one asking what's your problem?! Why are you being like this to Chaeyoung? Do you still like her?!" 

 

Somi widened her eyes, even though she already confessed to Chaeyoung she's still embarrassed about it. She looked down, avoiding Yeri's eye contact. 

 

"I know.."

 

Yeri's jaw dropped at Chaeyoung's answer. It also made Somi look at her. 

 

"What?! So you know.. then what's happening?? I am not blind and I can see how sweet and intimate you both are with each other. You both are even always whispering when talking!" 

 

Somi stood up and ruffled her hair. "Look, Yeri, calm down.. we can explain" 

 

"What's there to explain, Somi? Unless... don't tell me.. oh my God!" her eyes showed more anger now. Yeri grabbed Chaeyoung's arm. "What the , Chaeyoung! You have a wife! Are you out of your ing mind?!" 

 

"Let go of her! I'll explain!" 

 

"No! You shut up, Somi! You both are my friends, okay? But I respect Mina too and the marriage you both have Chaeyoung. I can never tolerate this !" Yeri let's go of Chaeyoung's arm and turned to Somi. "And you Somi... how can you be this low? How can you sleep at night knowing that you're wrecking someone's marriage? I told you.. get over of your feelings for Chaeyoung but you never listened and now this!" 

 

Chaeyoung sighed and stood up, ready to go. She looked at Somi as if telling her to just handle everything. She knows Yeri needs a proper explanation about all of this but Chaeyoung don't think she can do it. Her headache is killing her again and she just wants to rest. 

 

"I'm really sorry, Yeri, if you're thinking that way. But... there's more to everything than what you just see" Yeri seemed confused with her words but Chaeyoung just tapped her shoulder when she passed by her. "I'll go now. And Somi, just tell her.. everything" 

 

Chaeyoung quickly took a cold shower when she got home. Somehow, cold water helps a lot on soothing hee throbbing head. She sighed hard looking at her almost empty closet, she only have one work clothes left. Even if she doesn't want to see Mina again, she needs to go back at their house to get clothes.

 

They were both stunned as they stood in front of each other, Mina clearly wasn't expecting to see her tonight. She wanted to reach out to her wife, to hug and hold her. But she knows she can't. 

 

"C-chaeng..." 

 

Mina's breaking voice as she calls her name is like how her heart was also breaking when she heard it. Chaeyoung doesn't know but this is the most painful time that she heard her name came out of Mina's mouth. She gripped hard at the luggage as she passed by Mina. 

 

Chaeyoung was focusing on picking her clothes but when she turned around again, she already saw Mina nicely folding and packing up her clothes for her. She took a deep breath, using it as a chance to look at Mina and admire her from afar. 

 

She could see how Mina's eyes are swollen, she noticed that she's getting a little skinny than before. The dark circles under her eyes are enough proof for Chaeyoung that she hasn't been having enough sleep these days. At that moment, she wanted to punch herself for inflicting such pain and suffering to Mina. When all her wife did was love her. 

 

But despite all that, you're still so beautiful, my love. 

 

"What are you doing? You don't have to do that" 

 

Chaeyoung doesn't want to burden Mina anymore. What she's going through right now because of her is more than enough. Sje wants to be out of Mina's responsibility right now. 

 

Because baby, you deserve to be happy. You deserve to live a good and happy life. 

 

Not this. Not like this. 

 

Chaeyoung knew that this will just result to more arguments. And she's tired of it.. she's tired of pretending in front of Mina. 

 

Do you know how hard it is to pretend that you don't love someone anymore? 

 

When your heart is screaming and aching because of so much love for that person? 

 

Chaeyoung wanted to melt on Mina's hug. She wanted to surrender so bad. She's starting to question herself.. was this all worth it? Is this really right? Is what I'm doing really right? 

 

But when she's reminded that she's already dying.. everything becomes all worth it. Everything seems to be right. 

 

That's right Chaeyoung.. you have to endure this. You have to leave her now before you... 

 

permanently leave her alone. 

 

"Mina, please.. don't make it more hard than it already is" because it's getting harder to be away from Mina. Everything... is hard. "Just.. let me go. This is what's best for us. For you.."

 

Chaeyoung knows she deserves all this anger she's getting from Mina. She deserves to be hated by the peron she loves. 

 

Isn't it ironic how I'm getting happy because you're mad? 

 

Maybe because I know sooner or later... you'll forget me. You'll choose to unlove me.

 

Seeing Mina lose her mind because of what's happening between them makes Chaeyoung more sure that she's doing what's right. But she doesn't want when Mina begs like this. Because she doesn't need to beg. Mina can't be low like this just because of her because she doesn't deserve it. 

 

If just by thought of her cheating on Mina is already making her this broken... what more if Mina would knew that she's dying? 

 

I can never afford to see you grieving again, my love. 

 

The next day Chaeyoung continued on working at her mom's house. They need to finish it by next week, before the deadline. And after that, Chaeyoung already decided that she'll take a break from work. She knows Yeri and Somi will understand her. Chaeyoung stopped at the middle of working and called Somi as she's missing some files. She told her that she should just come over at Somi's house. 

 

"Here's the file you're asking" Somi said as she handed her the folders. "Sit first and check if all you need is already there so you won't have to go back again, in case" 

 

Chaeyoung sat on the sofa on Somi's living room and started to browse the files on her hand. Somi was preparing some snack when the doorbell rang. She ran towards the door and Chaeyoung turned to her when she heard Mina's name came out from Somi. 

 

Mina? Why would Mina be here? 

 

Her curiosity was killing her and chose to go out and see it for herself. And true enough, Mina was really there, standing outside. Chaeyoung saw how pain crossed her eyes when Mina saw her. 

 

It was really dumb of her to even ask what Mina was doing there. And Somi really started to play her part, so... she needs to do hers. Mina is the kindest woman she ever known, so seeing Mina causing a scene like this and even slapping Somi made Chaeyoung nervous. She never saw Mina got mad like this. Even with her past issue with Sana, Mina never confronted her like this. 

 

Are you hurting that bad, Mina? Why... why do you love an like me this much?

 

"Why did you have to went overboard, Somi?!" she angrily asked when Mina left them, fuming mad. 

 

"What the hell Chaeyoung! You saw her slapped me, I was hurt! What do you expect?!" 

 

"Because you triggered her! You don't even need to hit below the belt like that" 

 

Somi let out a sarcastic laugh, staring at Chaeyoung unbelievably. "I see... you know what Chaeyoung I know that you just need my help and you still love her. I know that very clear and I just hope you don't shove it to my face like that. For s sake Chaeyoung, I still like you!" 

 

Chaeyoung left Somi not wanting to have another argument about her feelings for her. She already made it clear to Somi... she can never love her back. 

 

Luckily, Mina wasn't driving that fast that Chaeyoung could still follow her. The road seemed familiar and Chaeyoung's heart hurt a little more upon realizing where Mina is headed to. 

 

Chaeyoung stood at the sea wall which is just over-looking at the sea. She leaned on her car as she watched Mina sat on the same spot they sat on when she first brought her here. She can't see Mina's face, but she doesn't even need to see it to know that she's crying again. Her shaking back is already enough painful view for Chaeyoung. 

 

The sky turned orange again, indicating that the sun is ready to set. She used to admire the beauty of it, the beauty of this view in front of her. 

 

But now, even with all the beauty that's surrounding her... Chaeyoung's eyes are focused on Mina. 

 

Mina, my beautiful mess... 

 

Chaeyoung cried along with her, already pondering on the worst decisions she made.

 

Was it really the best choice? Was it really enough reason for us to be hurting like this? 

 

Or... am I just being selfish? For wanting to escape over something inevitable?

 

But... is it really bad that I just want to spare Mina from another.. grief?

 

I love her so much.. I've seen enough when Maddie was taken away from us.

 

Mina's sleepless nights. Mina's silent cries. Just Mina... losing herself on the process of grieving.

 

Can I ever let her go through it again? Just so I could spend my entire dying days with her?

 

No... I don't think I can..

 

I'll just prefer to runaway.

 

you, Chaeyoung! you for being this coward.

 

Chaeyoung wiped her tears and returned to her car. She needs to leave before Mina could see her there.

 

As she drove away, Chaeyoung watched Mina was once again. The sun is also setting, it was so beautiful. And Mina watching it made it more beautiful.

 

But just like how the sun was finally taking a rest of giving light to the whole surrounding...

 

Chaeyoung is also bidding goodbye to Mina..

 

ready to embrace the darkness to come.