Epilogue

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

"Mina..." 

 

"Minari... hey baby, wake up" 

 

Mina felt warm hands slightly tapping her cheeks. A sweet voice calling her name. The voice she's been longing for that it made her heart hurt upon hearing. She fluttered her eyes open, only to be blinded a little by the sudden light. She was greeted by the same familiar orange sky. 

 

"Hey Mina, why are you crying?" 

 

Mina could hear the sound of the crashing waves along with that worried voice. Her hands felt the texture of the sand that she's laying to. She turned to her side to search and look to where the owner of the voice is. 

 

It's like she swallowed her own tongue as words gets harder to be uttered. Mina's eyes well up, tears fell more once she locked eyes with the person in front of her. 

 

"C-chaeyoung... you're here"

 

The only words she could say, the only words that could came out on . Chaeyoung looked at her in confusion and full of worries. Starting to get afraid on why Mina is crying so bad. 

 

"Of course I'm here! Where would I go? Come here, love.. please stop crying" Mina sat up as Chaeyoung hugged her, slowly rocking their bodies and patting her back softly. "Whats wrong? Please tell me, I'm worried about you" 

 

It feels surreal to be hugging Chaeyoung like this... 

 

"Nothing.." Mina shook her head. "I just got a... nightmare" 

 

Chaeyoung held Mina's shoulder so they could face each other. She ran her hand on Mina's face and Mina could only close her eyes on that subtle touch. 

 

"I bet your nightmare is that scary. Would you like to tell me what is it?" 

 

"It's... Chaeyoung.." Mina lowered her head as she sob. "You.. left me alone. You left me, Chaeyoung. I was so scared, I was so hurt. I was so afraid I'll never see you again" 

 

"Oh, baby.. please stop crying. It's all just a nightmare, it was never real. Look.." she smiled at Mina while opening her arms. "I'm here, I am with you. Right?" 

 

Mina nodded as she hugged Chaeyoung again. "Please don't leave me.. please don't leave me alone, Chaeng. I.. miss you so much" 

 

"I will never leave you alone, Mina. As long as I'm in your heart, I'll always be with you. Whenever or wherever you are" 

 

It was so ironic for Mina to be walking by the beach, enjoying the cool breeze while the same annoying painful sunset is on their background. When in her nightmare, this is also the exact scene when she lost... Chaeyoung. 

 

But right now, it's different. Chaeyoung is here, alive and well while holding her hand as the cold water wet their feet. Mina's hair was being blown by the wind and they stopped walking when Chaeyoung stood in front of her to fix it. 

 

Mina watched her as she did it, a smile finally crept on her lips. "I love you.." 

 

Chaeyoung stared at her and pulled her in for a kiss. The moment their face part from each other, the space between them was illuminate by the light from the setting sun. 

 

"I love you too, Mina" she held Mina's hand and caressed it. "I want you to meet someone. Are you ready?" 

 

Mina, although confused, still nodded as an answer. She watched Chaeyoung as she looked behind Mina, as if looking at someone. 

 

And when Mina turned around... she knew. 

 

(Playing: Tears in Heaven) 

 

Would you know my name

If I saw you in heaven?

Would it be the same

If I saw you in heaven?

 

As she looked back, there she saw... 

 

Maddie.. 

 

Laughing.. running towards the two of them.

 

It was the moment Mina knew that everything.. 

 

It was never real. 

 

That this is her nightmare. Her beautiful nightmare.. 

 

"Mommy!" 

 

The moment Mina opened up her arms to hug her baby girl, was the moment she wished that she won't woke up. She wished to stay with the two love of her life. 

 

I want to stay in this beautiful nightmare... 

 

"M-maddie.." 

 

"I miss you so much, mommy. You are crying again, is this your fault mom?" she pouted. 

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. "No, bub. Mommy is crying because.. she misses you. She missed us, so much"

 

Would you hold my hand

If I saw you in heaven?

Would you help me stand

If I saw you in heaven?

 

The three of them walked, holding each other's hand with Maddie in between Mina and Chaeyoung. They watched their daughter happily skipping and kicking the sand, she was so happy to be held my her moms. Mina looked up at Chaeyoung, only to meet her eyes. 

 

When Chaeyoung smiled at her, Mina knew.. she knew that she's happy now. 

 

But... how about me? Will I be happy again? 

 

"Mina.. thank you for being so strong until now. I am.. sorry for leaving you behind" 

 

She can't do anything but to cry and cry.. as Chaeyoung and Maddie engulfed her with their warm embrace. 

 

"Mommy, if ever you get sad and miss us again.. please look at the stars. Mom and I will be watching you up there" 

 

"I can't... I can't live without the two of you" she shook her head, gripping onto Chaeyoung's arm and Maddie's hand. "Can't I just stay here? Can we just be together here?" 

 

"Please, Chaeyoung... just take me with you" 

 

"Mommy, please hang in there a little more.." she heard Maddie whispered at her. Making Mina close her eyes and silently cry. 

 

"Mina... we will just be here, waiting for you" Chaeyoung peck a kiss on her trembling lips. "For now, my love.. we need to part ways again" 

 

I must be strong

And carry on

'Cause I know, I don't belong

Here in heaven

 

'Cause I know, I don't belong

Here in heaven.... 

 

As Mina opened her eyes again, the orange sky was gone and it was replaced by her dark ceiling. Her pillows and her face was still wet with tears. She stared at nothingness, still trying to catch her breath and calm herself down. Mina's heart was still aching.

 

It was only indeed a beautiful nightmare. Because in this reality, I am left alone. I am in my worst nightmare. 

 

Mina picked up her phone, her heart twitched upon seeing the date on it. 

 

May 8, 2024. Chaeyoung's death anniversary. 

 

"Is it why you showed up in my dreams, my love?" she mumbled. 

 

Mina planned to go to the cemetery but before that, she still needs to go on her work. After three years of grieving, she finally decided to live her life again. And today, marks her first day. But, it's different. There's no Chaeyoung who will drop her off and pick her up everyday. 

 

Mina decided to be a professor in an art class. She just wanted to live Chaeyoung's dream, to follow her step. She may not be quite skilled with photography but at least, she had knowledge about arts. 

 

She parked her car in front of the University and scanned her ID on her way in. When Mina entered the class, the students were already there. Just like the normal classes, Mina let her student introduce themselves and asked them to explain why they took an art class. 

 

When everyone was done, a student raised her hand. Mina looked at her and smiled. "Yes, Ms. Ryujin?" 

 

"How about you, Miss Myoui? Why are you teaching art class?" 

 

Mina fidget a little, she wasn't prepared to tell everyone about her past on her first day. But, she needs to be professional and answer her curious students. 

 

"Well.. I am just here to liven up, someone's.. dream" she smiled at them. 

 

"Who is it Miss Myoui?" Ryujin's eyes widened as if she thought about something. "Oh! Is it someone special? Are you already married, Miss Myoui?" 

 

"Uh, yes.." Mina smiled and showed her wedding ring. She heard as everyone gasped. "I'm married for nine years now?" 

 

"Really, Miss Myoui?! Where's your husband then? Is he also an art teacher?" Yeji asked. 

 

"Wife.." the whole class looked at her in confusion. "I have a wife. And no, Yeji, she's not an art teacher but she's a great photographer" 

 

"Oh. Then where is she? I bet she's also pretty like you, Miss Myoui" Yeji smiled at her. 

 

"Yes, indeed, she's beautiful" Mina nodded. "I like her eyes the most specially when she's looking at me. She looked beautiful the most when.. the light from the sunset was hitting her face" Mina gulped as if trying to get rid of the lump on throat.

 

"And.. she's in a peaceful place now" 

 

When her class ended that afternoon, Mina went to the cemetery as she planned. She bought two boquet of flowers from the entrance and she walked slowly towards where Maddie and Chaeyoung were burried. 

 

She carefully placed the flowers on each other's grave removing some of the dried leaves from it. Mina sat on the grass as she put her both hands on Maddie's and Chaeyoung's grave, slowly moving her fingers as if caressing it. 

 

"Hi, my two angels" she smiled. "Thank you for visiting me this morning. And since you did that, I am also here to visit you back" 

 

Mina stared at Chaeyoung's grave. "Were you afraid that I might forget about this day? Silly. What do you think of me? I won't forget it, okay?" she chuckled. 

 

But her laughs faded as it was replaced with a mourning face. 

 

"It's been three years Chaeng, but it's still so vivid on my mind. It's been that long but I still can't forget about it because.. how could I?" 

 

Mina heaved a deep breath. "How can I forget the day that you left me? How can I forget how you wanted me to see such a beautiful scenery but then.. you took your last breath beside me" 

 

Mina lowered her head on her arms as she cried again. Remembering those last moments she had with Chaeyoung. Her heart is still aching for it. There's still so many what if's and regrets. 

 

"Chaeng, how do I even endure those three years without you? Did you see me? Did you see me struggling everyday to live this life without you in it? Did you see me cry everyday for you? Did you see me be hurt everyday because there's no longer you?" 

 

"I wanted to get mad at you for so many things. For not telling me sooner, for lying to me, for not.. fighting with me until the end" she wiped her tears and looked up at the sky. 

 

"And for leaving me behind..." 

 

"Chaeyoung, why didn't you just take me with you that day?" 

 

"Why can't you just... take me now" 

 

Mina held her chest and punched her because it hurted so bad. She can't breathe properly, she's suffocated. 

 

Her heart is suffocating. 

 

Her heart is still hurting. 

 

Her heart is still breaking. 

 

Her heart is still.. loving Chaeyoung all these years. 

 

As soon as Mina already calmed down, she fixed her hair and wiped her face once more. She stood up and removed the dirt that got on her skirt. Mina wore her bag and stared at those two graves who has her heart. 

 

"I am sorry for crying in front of you again, Chaeng. I know you don't like to see me cry again because of you. But you don't have to worry now, I'll try my best to not cry whenever I think of you" 

 

"You don't have to worry about me because I'll get through it with the thought of you, still here beside me. I already got through those three years, right? You should be proud of me!" she chuckled. 

 

"I'll try to live more years, Chaeyoung. I'll try to live this life again even if there's no you in it. I'll try to be happy again" 

 

"I'll try to live for you, Chaeyoung.. but one thing is for sure" 

 

"I'll never try to love anyone again. It will  just be you until the end. So..." 

 

Mina started walking away but this time, she had a smile on her face. 

 

"Wait for me a little more, my love. Soon, I'll be coming to you. To the both of you"