Chapter 10

Married To My Bestfriend (IIWMB BOOK TWO)

Flashback...

 

"I'm back!" Somi shouted while raising the two black plastic bags that she's holding.

 

 

Chaeyoung rushed onto her, brows creased. "Where the hell did you go?!"

 

 

"Chaeng.. Chill" Somi said as she put the bags on the table and Yeri quickly checked it out. "I just bought foods and some beer. Oh by the way, Mina called"

 

 

Chaeyoung widened her eyes, she'll be dead again. "What did she say?"

 

 

"Nothing.. just call her"

 

 

"Give me my phone!" Somi rolled her eyes at Chaeyoung and quickly get her phone out of the bag.

 

 

Chaeyoung walked out and stood by the garden and checked the recent call logs. She could only curse with all the missed calls and messages she got from Mina. Chaeyoung didn't waste any second and dialed Mina's number. As expected, she got upset, jealous even. But Chaeyoung was still lucky that Mina didn't get that mad and was thankful that her and Maddie weren't alone for that night.

 

 

As soon as their call ended, Chaeyoung decided to join Somi, Yeri and Saeron as they were eating already. When she smells the food, that's the moment she realized she was already starving.

 

 

"Here.. I brought your favorite" Somi said while handing to her the bento box.

 

 

"Thanks.." she muttered, even though she's still a little upset at her for taking her phone like that.

 

 

The night is already getting deep, so they decided to get back on their room. Yeri already started opening cans of beer and gave one to Saeron. Chaeyoung was slightly oppose to them drinking because they need to wake up early tomorrow but Somi and Yeri insisted that she should consider this as a little celebration for a job well done today. And Chaeyoung knows she can't argue with these two. Fine, a little beer won't hurt.

 

 

Saeron has a low tolerance in alcohol, just two cans and she's already asleep on the bed. So right now, it was just the three of them. After her fifth can, Yeri decided to already join Saeron on the bed. She said that her head is already spinning and Somi just laughed at her, but still helped her to climb on their bed.

 

 

"I guess it's just the two of us now" Somi chuckled. "It's always us"

 

 

"But we can't compete with each other tonight, we need to wake up early tomorrow" Chaeyoung said as she gulped down her eight and last can.

 

 

Somi nodded and also chugged down her drink. When she stood up, she almost fell because she stumbled a little. Luckily, Chaeyoung quickly grabbed her by the arm.

 

 

"Just go to sleep, I'll clean this" Chaeyoung said while shaking her head and helping Somi to lay down.

 

 

Somi giggled when her head bumped at the head rest of the bed. She looked at Chaeyoung when she said to be careful, and held out her two hands to slightly squeeze Chaeyoung's face. "You're so cute, Chaengie.." And kissed her cheek. 

 

 

"What the hell Jeon Somi!" she almost yelled at her but then she remembered, Somi is under the influence of alcohol right now. "Oh please, just sleep already.. I don't want to babysit a drunkard tonight" Chaeyoung fixed the comforter and covered Somi's body. She groaned and tossed on the bed before finally getting knocked out.

 

 

Chaeyoung sighed as she watched her friends all wasted, and she was left alone to clean all this trash and mess. After getting out all the trash, Chaeyoung showered quickly so that the alcohol would also be washed away before finally going to sleep.

 

 

The next morning, Chaeyoung was the first one to get up early while her friends are still sleeping soundly. She decided to get down at the breakfast hall to grab some light breakfast and coffee to ease her hangover. After eating, she called Mina to say that they'll be departing a little late because she's sure that her friends won't wake up anytime soon. But of course she can't say this to Mina so she put up a little lie, although partly true, and she also wanted to surprise her wife if ever she could come home as early as expected.

 

 

They checked out at ten in the morning, and it was still fine for Chaeyoung because if they got lucky again about the traffic, she'll arrive just in time that Mina will be out from work. Her friends got hungry so they decided to go to the drive thru to buy their lunch and just eat it on their way because they don't have enough time to stop over. The ride going back went smoothly and Chaeyoung already dropped off the three of them at their respective houses. She checked the time and she thought that she could still be in time to fetch Mina, so she decided to stopped by at the Starbucks to get her favorite drink.

 

 

Chaeyoung was getting back to her car, holding the drinks she bought when she glanced at the road packed with traffic. She was about to enter her car when a familiar car was moving slowly on the road. Chaeyoung can't get wrong, it was her wife's white car.

 

 

"Damn.. I was late" she muttered as she drove and tailed Mina's car.

 

 

Chaeyoung has been following Mina's car for minutes now, she actually thought that she already picked Maddie up. But then suddenly, Mina's car stopped at the bus terminal. Chaeyoung was so confused her heart was beating so fast, she also parked her car meters behind her and squinted her eyes when the door from the passengers seat opened. Her heart almost drop when she saw who went out, who Mina drove here. She can't be wrong, it was the same girl, it's her workmate. Eunha..

 

 

After ending that call, with a heavy heart, Chaeyoung tried to calm herself down as she drove back to fetch their daughter.

 

 

"Damn it, Mina!" 

 

 

End of Flashback... 

 

Mina wasn't sure how did she managed to get home safely and alive. Her mind was literally not focused on the road, on her driving. It was with Chaeyoung and all those accusations. She was pacing back and forth at their living room, looking out the window to see if Chaeyoung's car is already there and waiting for the door to open. Her anxiety was really kicking in that she can't even think straight.

 

 

Mina jolted when her phone rang. She quickly get it hoping that it was Chaeyoung, but it's not. It's her sister, Jihyo. Somehow it relieved her heart a little. 

 

 

"Hello? Jihyo unnie?" But there's just silence from the other line, Mina had to check her phone again just to make sure that it didn't end. And yes, the call is still on-going. "Unnie, are you there?" 

 

 

After that long silence, Mina panicked when she heard stiffled sobs. As she was continue to listen, the sobs were getting louder. 

 

 

"Mina..." Jihyo uttered, in her soft cracking voice. 

 

 

"Unnie! Are you crying? What happened? Please tell me" Mina had to sit down to calm herself. 

 

 

"Mina.. what should I do?" Her sister was now crying loudly, and it's making Mina's heart hurt even more. 

 

 

"Jihyo unnie please tell me what happened.. I'm getting worried" 

 

 

"It's.." Jihyo was catching her breath and trying to stop her tears, just so she could speak clearly. "Daniel.." 

 

 

"Why? What happened to him?" Mina was literally panicking. There's something bad that must've happened for her sister to cry like this. 

 

 

"We're over.." and Jihyo bursted into tears once again. Mina had to process everything, she's shocked too. She didn't even know what to say, for all she know, she's bad at saying comforting words. 

 

 

"Why? When, unnie?" Mina shook her head when she realized she was asking nonsense questions. "Forget it. Where are you and the kids? Are you all okay?" 

 

 

"Yeah, Minari.. we're all fine. They didn't know still, I don't know where to start" Jihyo paused to inhale a deep breath. "I'm deciding to come back to Korea next month" 

 

 

Mina nodded as if her sister could see her. "If that will make you feel better, do it. Just please remember unnie that I'm here, mom and me are always here for you. You can always come back to us if you want to rest. Please be strong, Jihyo unnie" 

 

 

Mina was still devastated after that call, she was left dumbfounded sitting on the sofa. She never saw nor heard her sister cried like that. Mina always known Jihyo as a strong woman, the sole reason she admired her growing up. 

 

 

But I guess this is what love does to people. No matter how you love them, at some point, they will still find a way to leave you. No matter how you want them to stay, they'll still go. No matter how you want to fight for them, you'll still end up losing. And no matter how strong you are, if it's love, you'll always be vulnerable. 

 

 

Mina was wiping her tears away when the door opened. Chaeyoung looked at her and those sudden look of concern didn't escape Mina's eyes before she turned to look mad again. 

 

 

"Baby.." Mina said as she stood up and held Chaeyoung in her arms. "Please don't get mad. I'm sorry"

 

 

But Chaeyoung won't even look at her, she just pulled her arms back and walked inside their room. Mina followed her immediately, eager to make up with her. She was jusy too exhausted right now, and she badly wants to tell Chaeyoung everything. She wants to share the burden in her heart that she's carrying because of what happened to her sister. 

 

 

But she just can't. Not that when Chaeyoung is still mad at her. 

 

 

"Chaeng, where's Maddie?" Mina asked when she just realizer that Chaeyoung arrived home, alone. 

 

 

"At mom's" she answered shortly while changing her clothes. 

 

 

"Mom's? My mom or yours?" 

 

 

"Mine" then she entered the bathroom. Mina had to wait for Chaeyoung to finish. She badly wants to make up with her. If she needs to explain everything, she'll do it. 

 

 

Chaeyoung went out of the bathroom, all dressed with her sleepwear. Mina was fidgeting while slowly walking towards her. 

 

 

"Babe can you just please let me explain?" Her voice was so soft, she doesn't wants to sound like she's looking for a fight. 

 

 

"Explain what? I already saw everything Mina" Chaeyoung was about to walk past her but she grabbed her arm and pulled her. 

 

 

"Yeah you saw everything but that's not what it looks like" Mina sighed. Chaeyoung was just staring at her, as if waiting for her next words. "It's true that I dropped Eunha at the bus terminal because her car was borrowed by her sister, and she asked me for a favor. It's just for today, baby" 

 

 

"Still, you know I'm jealous of her. So why still do it Mina?" 

 

 

"Babe listen, I can't just turn her down okay? I told you we're just friends. Besides, she's not the only one who rode my car. There's also Sowon, our other workmate, I just dropped her off first" Mina held Chaeyoung's hands and gently squeezed it. "Chaeng please believe me" 

 

 

"I don't know" A short answer but Mina doesn't know why it hurted so bad. 

 

 

They stared into each other's eyes, and Mina was sure that her tears are already welling up. She was just trying so hard to fight it and not let it fall. Mina was staring at those beautiful orbs who used to look at her lovingly that it can make her feel butterflies in her belly. It was those eyes who adored her so much, all these years. 

 

 

But suddenly, Mina felt a strong pang in her heart when she saw something different on those eyes. Chaeyoung's stares was different this time. She's looking at Mina with full of doubt and distrust. And there's nothing more painful than that. 

 

 

"Are you thinking that I'm cheating on you?" Mina's voice is about to break. She slowly let go of Chaeyoung's hand. "Are you Chaeyoung?" 

 

 

"I was just gone for two ing days Mina yet here you are.." 

 

 

"Huh!" Mina looked up to stop her tears before looking back once again to Chaeyoung. "So you're really thinking that I'm cheating on you!" 

 

 

There was silence. Chaeyoung wouldn't say anything. And it frustrated Mina more because she wasn't denying or telling her that it's true. 

 

 

"Oh my God, Chaeyoung! All those years yet this is how shallow your trust is with me?" Mina couldn't help it anymore, she cried. She was aggressively wiping her tears. 

 

 

Chaeyoung seemed to have finally knock some sense into herself. Her eyes were back into that concerned look while watching Mina cried. 

 

 

"No! Don't go near me and don't ing touch me!" Mina yelled when Chaeyoung stepped forward to wipe her tears. 

 

 

"Mina, I'm sorry. I wasn't-" 

 

 

Chaeyoung's words were cut off. Mina slapped her, hard. It stings on Mina's hand but she felt numb already. The pain on her heart was taking over. 

 

 

"Chaeyoung.. all my life, you know that I've never liked any girl besides you. Only. You!" Mina was sobbing between her words. "But still, you dare to accuse me of cheating with another girl?! How ing dare you! Chaeyoung I'm not interested to girls!" 

 

 

"Mina please calm down" 

 

 

"I'm just interested with you! And you should ing know that!" 

 

 

Mina didn't wait for Chaeyoung to say another word. She walked out of the room, grabbed her car keys and go out of their house. She was trying to drive carefully whilst with blurry eyes because of tears. She was so mad and she doesn't know what's the main reason this time. 

 

 

Was it because Chaeyoung didn't trust her enough? Is it because she was accusing her of cheating with another girl? Or is it because she was expecting for Chaeyoung to stop her from leaving but.. she didn't. 

 

 

Mina knocked so hard on her mom's door. The moment she opened it, she run into her for a hug and cried helplessly. Her mom was shocked but she didn't even asked anything. Taeyeon just continued to shush her while rubbing her back, trying to calm her down. 

 

 

"Mom.. I'm so tired.." Mina said while still crying in her mom's arms. 

 

 

"It's okay baby.. it's okay" Taeyeon was already crying with her daughter, as she can also feel her pain. 

 

 

"I just want to rest mommy" Mina was crying like a child. 

 

 

"I'm here Minari.. I'm here.." Taeyeon continued to tap her back, as she wipes her own tears. "Ohh.. what is happening to my beloved daughters. I wish I could get all your pain. I don't want to see you both like this" 

 

 

When Mina calmed down, her mom led her to her room so she could finally sleep. Except that she wasn't. Mina wanted to stop crying, her head is already starting to hurt. 

 

 

But, she just can't stop it. Her eyes won't stop from crying just as how her heart won't stop from hurting. 

 

 

This was the moment she realized how scary love is. One moment, you were over the moon. It will make you vulnerable to all kinds of feelings. Then suddenly, you're breaking apart. 

 

 

All those seven years, this will be the first time that Mina and Chaeyoung had to sleep separately, with heavy hearts. 

 

 

It wasn't always sunshine and rainbows. 

 

 

Mina was laying on the bed, crying. 

 

 

But.. Chaeyoung too. 

 

 

And they're both wishing that they could be on each other's arm in these cold, cold night.