Chapter 3

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

The last place Suzy wanted to be was at a conference for work a thousand miles away from home. The hospital found it a good way to network and get donations. She understood the necessity but didn't want to be a part of it.

She found her hotel suite more accommodating, but it didn't compare to the comforts of home. She was very much looking to the end of the weekend so she could return home.

'' You look bored.'' Someone spoke beside her, but Suzy recognized the voice.

'' Hello, Rosé, '' She turned to the bar and ordered a drink  '' You guessed correctly.'' She admitted.

'' I understand you '' Rosé sidled up next to her and ordered the same drink as her '' Why they insist we come to these things is beyond me.''

Suzy laughed and ran a hand down her gray suit. She wore black high heels and had her hair down in waves over her left shoulder. She felt Rosé staring at her and she smirked as she lit a cigarette.

She had noticed the way the young resident gazed at her admirably for the past few weeks. Suzy told herself it was admiration in a purely professional and platonic capacity but she knew otherwise. The subtle undertones of attraction on Rosé's part were hard to ignore. 

'' I agree, but unfortunately nothing we can do '' She replied in between puffs of smoke, '' Shouldn't you be getting to know the other doctors ? ''

'' I have been, but they were trying to flirt with me and it was uncomfortable.'' She paused as she looked at Suzy who was already lighting her second cigarette '' I didn't know that you smoke.''

Rosé glanced at Suzy, her face appeared stone-faced. She waited for an explanation, since she has never seen the doctor ever smoking. She could not help but notice the tense clinch of her jaw.

'' Suzy .. '' She began uncertainly, a shadow of concern passing her face.

'' I don't want to talk about it, okay ? '' Suzy replied as her lips twisted into a smile '' Not now.''

Rosé nodded. Her statement obviously struck a chord with Suzy and she clearly did not want to elaborate or dwell on the subject and Rosé should respect that.

'' Want to get out of here and grab something to eat ? '' Rosé asked.

Suzy smiled '' I thought you would never ask.'' They walked downstairs to the lobby where the hotel had a restaurant.

'' Tonight's dinner is my treat. '' Rosé said as she walked towards the restaurant.

Suzy nodded '' Fine.'' She pulled out her chair and sat down '' So, what you going to get ? ''

'' I'm in the mood for pasta '' Rosé replied after looking at the menu '' You ? ''

'' Fillet '' Suzy answered and looked up when the server approached them. They ordered food and drinks and the server scurried off.

'' So how are you finding AMC hospital so far ? '' Suzy asked.

'' Interesting.'' Rosé finally concluded.

'' A very eloquent answer.''

'' Do you know that the interns refer to you as the ' Beautiful and smart cardiologist. ' ? ''

Suzy looked at Rosé, an expression on interest depicted across her face.

'' Do you think that's an accurate description of me ? '' Suzy asked.

'' You answered a question with a question '' Rosé giggled '' I can't accept that as an answer.''

'' What do you want me to say ? ''

'' You answered with another question again. Try again '' Rosé responded, laughing.

'' No i did not know that. I prefer to be called ' Suzy'. It's shorter than the previous, flattering although inappropriate nickname.'' She said.

Rosé smiled '' I'll be sure to let them know.'' She paused '' So tell me about yourself.'' She asked staring expectantly at Suzy.

'' Well what do you want to know ? ''

Their conversation was interrupted when the server came back and their dinner was placed in front of them '' Bon appetit.''

Suzy reached for the salt shaker next to her plate, when a searing pain cut through her chest. She gulped in a deep breath. She must have aggravated her injury by extending her arm.

She leaned back on the chair. The violence of the pain shocked her, and she slowly pulled her arm by her side, careful not to initiate any sudden movements.

'' You okay ? '' Rosé's voice was laced with concern when she noticed the doctor's discomfort.

'' I'm fine '' She smiled.

Rosé looked like she didn't believe her, but didn't question her again. Instead she took a sip of her drink '' Are you always so evasive with your answers ? '' She asked, rubbing the wine glass with her fingers.

'' Wow, you really are persistent.''

Rosé was struck by how little she knew about the woman opposite her. She had the distinct feeling that Suzy was an extremely private person and was not one to declare her baggage to the first person she spoke to.

Suzy noticed Rosé staring at her intently.

'' What ?'' She laughed softly, turning her head slightly.

Pulled back from her thoughts '' I was just thinking of how little i know about you.''

'' What do you want to know ?''

'' We're literally repeating ourselves here '' Rosé laughed out loud.

'' I'll make sure to answer your question this time '' Suzy replied.

Rosé sighed '' I like you a lot.'' 

They stared at each other for what felt like eternity '' I mean .. in an entirely professional capacity of course '' She quickly added, looking decidedly uncomfortable. She blamed the alcohol for this.

Suzy just watched the young resident, studying her, trying to discern the intentions behind those words

Please log in to read the full chapter