Chapter 8

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Suzy realized she was crying. It was a horrible and unfamiliar sensation that seemed to involve every muscle in her body. It was mostly a soundless affair save for intermittent sharp intakes of breath. It was as though her heartache was trapped in a vault, her cries inaudible to anyone but her.

She didn't even know why exactly she was crying. When had she turned into this emotionally volatile wreck ? She wiped her eyes and took a deep breath.

She reached for the packet of cigarettes beside her and was about to open it when a hand encircled the packet and gently pried it out of her hand. Suzy watched Rosé place the packet in the trashcan before sitting next to her. Suzy felt the same hand hold hers- the fingers intertwining seamlessly between hers, the warmth of them so startlingly soothing. Suzy found herself completely surrendering to it but couldn't meet the person behind the hand. They sat like that for what seemed like an incalculable length of time.

'' It's okay.''

Rosé had broken the silence.

'' Suzy, look at me.''

Suzy dropped her face into her hands fighting a losing battle with tears.

'' Suzy, you have to talk to me, please.''

Rosé's hand was rested on her leg, all concerned and agitated.

Suzy turned her head '' What are you doing here ? '' the question was delivered with a harshness that surprised Rosé.

'' For the past hour i have been worried sick that something had happened to you ! They said you weren't answering your pager or your phone, I - '' Once she started, she couldn't stop, '' The least you could have done was telling me the truth about your condition. I - ''

Suzy cut her off '' I just wanted to have some time to myself. ''

'' Not when people are looking for you ! '' Rosé paused '' Believe it or not, i do actually care about you.''

Suzy sighed '' Everything just feels so bad and .... i can't seem to get out of this hole. I just - ... '' Her hands were shaking, her gaze directed to the tablet of pills on the desk, her eyes flickering with undue need.

Rosé leaned forward. Holding Suzy's hand was like grabbing hold of a live wire, the hands shaking, the force of the tremor so strong she could feel it transferring over to her. Rosé wrapped her hand around the doctor's shoulder, not even knowing how to properly comfort her.

Suzy was shaking with the struggle not to cry. Her hands balled into fists as fought for control. Rosé closed the gap between them, quietly deliberating how Suzy would react. Tentatively, she touched her cheek ... Suzy didn't flinch or back away. She took this as an invitation to come closer, she approached her from behind, slowly wrapping her hands around her shoulders, hooking her chin over Suzy's uninjured shoulder '' Shh, it's okay.''

'' Rosé, don't ! '' Her voice barely whole.

That's all it took for Rosé to walk through the invisible wall that was holding her back. She pressed her lips to her supervisor's cheek '' I want you.''

Suzy's face seemed like its crumpling on itself, her hand running through her hair as she turned around to face the young resident. She looked into Rosé's eyes with a profound, longing stare. Looking into her eyes, into her soul, deep into her very being.

'' I think i'm falling for you Dr Bae.''

Suzy remained motionless. Shock-still. Holding her gaze. Holding her breath. Just looking at Rosé. A look laden with all affection in the world.

Rosé closed her eyes, before seeking Suzy's lips. Pressing them against hers, savouring the softness of the embrace. And it felt good. So good. 

She lifted her other hand to Suzy's face, burying it in her hair. Their surroundings vanished. Rosé realized that anyone could walk in at any minute but the thought disappeared as fast as it had invaded her mind.

The feel of Suzy's lips on hers was incredible. Rosé savoured the moment, relishing every second of it. Suzy reciprocated the kiss. It was a gentle kiss.

'' This was ... unexpected.'' Suzy breathily quipped in between kisses.

'' Wait ! '' Rosé disentangled herself from Suzy's hold and walked towards the door. Suzy watched her with interest. Rosé locked the door before flashing a smile at Suzy '' The people at the hospital have a big issue with not knocking before bursting through doors.'' She explained walking back '' I don't want to take my chances again.''

'' Good shout.''

After a long silence, Rosé spoke.

'' Promise me the smoking stops.'' She paused. She had to extract some sort of promise, some kind of reassurance from her, because in this moment she need that promise. '' Promise me that you'll treat your shoulder.'' She forced her tone to remain even '' Just promise me, please.''

'' I can't  promise you that '' She smiled '' But the least i can do is try .'' 

Please log in to read the full chapter