Chapter 16

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think about this chapter.

She left.

It worked for a while. They had tried. Tried to make it work. 

Maybe not enough.

But how could they pretend that it was ever going to work ? It had all been a stupid illusion. A canvas of broken lies.

Suzy had told her to leave. It was easier that way. It had been her choice. She couldn't allow herself to hinder Rosé's future. She had a lot of potential to become a great surgeon and she wouldn't forgive herself if Rosé let go of this opportunity because of her.

Her phone started ringing. Suzy ignored it, but after six rings, her resolve started to waver. Like always, she let it go to voicemail.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket, looked at the growing list of left voicemails. She listened to them sometimes. Her heart would stutter and spasm whenever she heard that voice.

28th October : Suzy, pick up the phone, i have been trying to call you but it's just going to voicemail.

29th October : Hey, is your phone working ? Please, call me when you get this.

3rd March : Suzy, can you pick up your calls ? You are scaring me.

19th May : Can you at least reply to my texts ?

14th July : Suzy, please ... i just want to hear your voice.

It's a year or later she received another voicemail. This time she didn't even listen. She dropped it over the flyover bridge, where it splintered against the concrete ground, shattering into a thousand pieces. Rosé needed to focus on her residency, she didn't need any distractions and she was a distraction.

Rosé had left. And it still hurt.

4 Years later

Years had passed, four to be exact but who was keeping count ? Everyday Suzy would congratulate herself on getting through without thinking about Rosé. But today of all the days felt different. There was something not quite right from the very moment she woke up. Everything was the same of course, her bedroom, her morning routine of coffee and toast but today had a weight to it and Suzy couldn't just put her finger on it.

--------------------------------

'' Dr Park to the ER please ! Dr Park.'' A tinny voice rattled through the hospital intercom.

Rosé glanced up from above the sheaf of papers she'd been scanning through, releasing a sigh of weary dismay. She'd just walked out of that place not even half hour again and already they wanted her back ? Clearly leaving two interns and a resident to hold the fort was not enough.

Sixty-eight hours and counting.

That how long she's been on shift on her first day back to AMC hospital after four years. Her body was screaming at her of just how unnatural that was. Hours that really fell into inhumane category.

'' This better be good enough for a fellow to be called for,'' She muttered under her breath. Rosé completed her residency and was now a fellow, she needed to complete one year of training before becoming an attending doctor in cardio-thoracic surgery.

She pushed through through the doors and re-entrered the ER. Her selective hearing had already kicked in. She's slinging out her stethoscope, her much needed battle piece in this war zone made up of sick and injured.

The spell is broken when someone suddenly jerked her back. She nearly collided with a gurney holding a bunch of trauma supplies but thankfully swerved at the last minute.

'' Where have you been ? '' Jennie asked.

An horrible fatigue clouded her thinking '' So what happened ? ''

Rosé was met with two officers and a disheveled middle-aged man who was clutching his chest.

'' Male, mid fifties, disorientated and confused, complaining of chest pain and difficulty breathing, found slumped in the street.'' One of the officer said.

A quick glance at his vitals dashing across the monitor above him told her he had an irregular pulse. 

Rosé nodded

'' Those are the symptoms of drug overdose, right Dr Park ? '' An intern asked.

'' Yes '' she sighed and wrote a few things in her clipboard '' I need these- ''

The patient who's been quiet the whole time suddenly, without warning, roared off the bed, catching everyone off guard. The intern beside Rosé quickly dodged out of the way. Unfortunately, Rosé's reflexes were pretty much non-existent after sixt

Please log in to read the full chapter