Chapter 11

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Rosé was sitting into the attendings' break room, finally enjoying her first cup of coffee since her shift had started over six hours ago as she waited for her girlfriend. Barely had she drunk her second gulp though, the door opened and revealed her attending.

'' Hello Suzy,'' She smiled happily.

'' Hey,'' Suzy greeted her back tiredly but with a genuine smile nonetheless '' What are you doing here ? '' She asked as she let herself ungracefully fall onto the other end of the couch with an exhausted sigh, her eyes closing on their own accords as her body melted into the not-so-comfortable couch, her muscles finally relaxing for the first time in what felt like forever.

'' You look like you could use a cup of coffee, or twelve, '' The resident teased.

'' I only slept like, two hours last night and three the night before so i'm little out of it,'' Suzy replied '' Not leaving the hospital for three days and thinking about who filled the complaint is not a pleasant thing, trust me.'' Her eyes opening and she tilted her head to look at Rosé.

Rosé could sense the hint of sadness in her voice, the way her shoulder caved in ever so slightly, her eyes losing their usual glint for a few instant.

'' I have been thinking about the same thing as well. ''

'' Found any solution ? ''

Rosé didn't have any, really. She didn't want to change her supervisor but also wanted them to keep dating. She shrugged and, instead of replying, offered her warm cup to Suzy.

'' You need this more than i do.''

Suzy accepted, eager to get some much needed coffee into her system. She almost spit it out right back out though as the taste invaded .

'' God! How many sugar did you put in this ? '' She handed the other woman her coffee back with a grimace.

'' I don't know '' Rosé look guiltily.

Suzy raised an eyebrow at her and gave her a firm look.

'' Maybe five ? '' The resident eventually replied, wincing at her confession.

'' Wow, that's enough sugar to send a diabetic straight into the morgue.''

'' That was ... dark ''

'' You know what i like dark ? My coffee,'' Suzy sighed and let her head fell backwards onto the back of the couch, her eyes fluttering shut.

'' Then go get one and stop complaining,'' Rosé chuckled.

'' But i'm tired.''

After a few moment of silence, the attending talked '' Rosé, my surgery is scheduled for next week. The director will probably assign another supervisor for you since i won't be back for at least two or three months. You know that i can't keep delaying the surgery and - .. ''

'' Just promise me that you'll still mentor me ? '' 

'' I promise. ''

Rosé smiled, her head falling on the other woman's shoulder and her eyes fluttering shut as she breathed in the soothing smell emanating from her. Suzy's arm fell around her shoulders when her hand came to slowly caress her hair.

'' You're going to be a brilliant doctor.'' Suzy whispered and kissed her forehead.

While Suzy spent most of her time at the hospital in either the OR, or her own office, she was also paged to the emergency room fairly often.

'' Dr Bae ! This way. '' She heard as she entered the ER, it was swarming with activity, a pile up on the freeway the likely culprit. What was meant to be a 12 hour shift was quickly shaping up to be an all-nighter.

She strode into the room, putting gloves on as she went '' I was paged ? ''

'' 30 years old female, was driving the car that started the initial collision, we have a blunt force trauma to the head and chest, broken ribs, possibly a collapsed lung.'' Lisa told her.

She had moved around the gurney, nodding as her resident updated her. She looked at the patient who was gasping sharply for air and fought to stay awake. She took her stethoscope and began checking for breath sounds. She glanced at the heart monitor, the patient was hypotensive and had bruises on her chest.

'' We've got a pneumothorax to the right lung. '' Suzy paused '' Get me an Echo ''

Lisa furrowed her brows '' You mean chest tube, Dr Bae ? You said she has pneumothorax ''

'' She has a chest injury, she most likely has an hemopericardium with a cardiac tamponade, she's showing signs of Beck triad and other symptoms related to an acute tamponade which means she's most likely tamponading.''

A nurse brought a portable ultrasound and Suzy reached for the transducer. the heart's chambers were getting progressively smaller and diastolic compliance was reduced.

'' I'm going to do an emergency subxiphoid percutaneous drainage, i need someone to hold the transducer for me.''

Rosé was holding the transducer to monitor everything during the insertion. Suzy was coming with the needle, carefully, so that she wouldn't puncture the heart. she inserted the needle at an angle of 30 degrees to the skin, near the left xiphocostal angle to drain the excess fluid around the heart. Rosé was looking at the monitor, holding her breath as she saw the rhythm slowly stabilized.

'' I need a chest x-ray and a CT scan immediately to confirm the damage to her chest.'' Suzy glanced at the neurosurgeon '' Do you need a head CT ? '' Hoyeon nodded '' I'm worried about  intracranial hemorrage '' the neurosurgeon added.

'' Dr Park, please book us into OR 2 and scrub. You'll be assisting me during the surgery.''

As the patient was being taken away, Suzy removed her gloves and looked at Rosé '' Why are you not already scrubbing ? '' She had noticed the resident's hesitation.

'' It's a big surgery, i don't think if can handle it.'' She was anxious, Suzy was different to any other supervisor she'd ever had.

'' You'll be fine Rosé. I'll be

Please log in to read the full chapter