Chapter 18

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thank you all for reading! All of your comments have been greatly appreciated!

 

As soon as she stepped into her office, Suzy smelled coffee. Not just any coffee, but her favorite coffee from her favorite coffee shop. She spied the familiar paper cup on her desk and she wandered over curiously. There was a scribbled note waiting for her.

 I passed by the coffee shop today and thought you might appreciate your favorite coffee. Rosé x  Suzy picked up the cup. It was still hot and she realized that Rosé must have been in her office only moments ago. Thick steam escaped as she took off the lid and the aroma immediately took her back to those soft kisses goodbye, drops of coffee still on Rosé's lips as she pressed them to hers. It made her heart hurt all over again and she couldn't bring herself to take even a sip as she was overwhelmed with memories.

She re-read the note, her fingertips running over the words Rosé wrote. She thought their conversation five days ago would be the last time she would hear from her, yet here she was, refusing to let her go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosé was in the attending lounge, busy checking the chart and diagrams for the surgery, mentally going through the procedure in her mind. She'd hope to see Suzy before she started but an emergency had pulled her into another surgery and she was still busy.

Hyeri strolled in and grinned at Rosé.

'' When they told me you were back i couldn't believe it. ''

'' Oh my god, Hyeri ! '' Rosé said cheerfully as she hugged her tightly.

'' I have missed you so much '' Hyeri whispered in her ear before she pulled away and cupped her face '' When we met two years ago, you were only a resident but now you're a fellow, i'm so proud of you Chaeyoung.'' She cleared '' Unfortunately, we are going to have to delay our reunion for later. That's not the reason i'm here.''

Rosé nodded '' Is it about work ? ''

Hyeri offered her hand and Rosé shook it. They held the handshake for a faction of a second longer than was necessary '' So Dr Park, I'll be your anesthetist on today's surgery ''

Rosé smiled brightly '' Oh, we are going to work together ! ''

Hyeri nodded excitedly '' Well i tried my best to be professional but this is as far as it goes '' She laughed lightly '' I'm really excited to see you work. You have quite the reputation ''

'' Reputation ? '' Rosé asked 

Hyeri pointed at the almost fading bruise of the left side of her face '' I heard about the ER's incident.''

Rosé closed her eyes as she sighed '' When are they going to stop talking about it ? This is embarrassing.''

Hyeri gave her a long stare, her eyes sparkling with amusement '' I also heard that Suzy took care of your bruise.''

She blinked. She really should have seen that coming '' Yeah. Dr Bae was kind enough to take a look at it.''

'' Just a curious question, is she the one you told me about ? ''

Rosé opened , this time to make it clear that it was a part of the past now but a couple of attending surgeons came in and interrupted them.

'' I'll see you in the OR, Dr Park '' Hyeri smiled lightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suzy's jaw ached. It ached a lot. Primarily because she had been grinding her teeth for the better part of the day. And if she didn't already know, she also learned that grinding one's teeth usually gave rise to a thunderous headache. Not to mention unbearable tension in the neck and shoulders. She felt terrible.

She was scrubbing out after a surgery but her mind was fixed on what she had seen earlier that morning in the attending lounge.

The hug, the handshake, the smiles, the lingering stares. She was trying to find a name for that feeling that pricked her in the heart, that did not allow her to think clearly.  

She had only been at the door for half a minute but seeing Rosé and her best friend, Hyeri being flirty, the chemistry between them was obvious. Did they meet when Hyeri left for America two years ago ? Was Rosé the lovely person Hyeri was talking about last week ?

It finally clicked for Suzy. Jealous. She was jealous. Not because Rosé could have a thriving love life if she stepped out of the way. Not because she was afraid that she wouldn't mean as much to her and they would drift apart if she started a relationship. She was jealous of the prospect of Rosé being with someone who was not her.

'' Hey, that was good work in there, Dr Bae, we should do it again sometime.''

'' What ? '' She turned her head at the voice, her voice a harsh snarl.

Please log in to read the full chapter