Chapter 4

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

The doctor moved from her spot, pushed her chair towards Rosé and sat beside her. She started to speak,

'' Three months ago, we lost a little boy in the ER that was hit by a car, i was the doctor on-call that day, i tried everything to save him but it was too late, his injuries were too severe.'' Rosé said nothing for a moment, but could hear Suzy's shaky exhalation '' The boy's father blamed me for his death and threatened to make me pay for it.''

Suzy closed her eyes, teeth gritted '' I thought his threats were just words uttered in a moment of hurt and pain but a week after the incident, he followed me to my house and aimed a gun at me. ''

'' What ! '' Rosé's eyes widened, not quite believing what she heard.

A long uncomfortable silence ensued '' I was shot '' She paused '' I remember the sickening sound of the the shot. A searing pain blew from my left shoulder and I collapsed in front of the door. It felt like my body was slowly shutting down.The kid's father had an expression of a pained regret after pulling the trigger. the last thing i remember was him calling 911 before my world became a swirling vortex of darkness.'' Suzy swiveled her chair to fully face Rosé, their knees practically touching each other '' I assure you what happened to you today is a not an everyday occurrence.''

Rosé reached to hold her hand and squeezed it with a gentle pressure. Suzy could feel the warmth of Rosé's hand coursing through hers '' Is your shoulder okay now ? Your injury is still recent ! How are you even working ? '' Her eyes filled with genuine concern.

'' I'm fine.'' She smiled '' i returned to work last month after being discharged from the physio.'' Suzy patted Rosé's shoulder '' Seriously, i'm glad you're still in one piece, that man in the ER was no joke.''

'' Do you think i should hire my own bodyguard ? '' Rosé looked at her '' You know just in case.''

Suzy chuckled. A curtain of silence descended over the office. Rosé looked out of the window and noticed the sun was setting, casting the room in a warm, orange hue. She watched the spectacular view with an unwavering gaze, as the sphere of orange slowly dipped beneath the horizon.

They were still sat face to face one to another, neither of them breaking eye contact.

'' Thank you again.'' Rosé said, forcing herself to look away.

'' Oh, that reminds me '' Suzy replied wagging her index at Rosé '' You owe me two favors now, one for the drive and one for practically saving you life.''

Rosé chuckled '' You don't forget, do you ? '' 

Rosé glanced at the clock : 9:30 AM.

She sprang into action and sprinted towards the bathroom, but not before crashing headfirst into Jisoo, her best friend, who has just emerged from her room.

'' Who's chasing you ! ''

'' I'm late for work.''

A puzzled expression flashed across Jisoo's face.

'' You do know it's Sunday, right ? ''

'' Oh '' Rosé paused '' You are right ! '' She stumbled back into the living room, and crashed onto the sofa.

'' You must have had one hell of a shift yesterday.'' Jisoo said as she poured her a cup of coffee.

'' It was a long day. A patient attacked me and -- ''

'' Please don't tell me the patient's name was Suzy ? I heard you calling her name while you were asleep. You must have been shocked.''

At Suzy's name, Rosé's ears perked up. She sat up and faced her friend.

'' Suzy is my attending at the hospital .'' She couldn't deal with this now. She struggled to feign a disinterested demeanour.

'' Come on, Rosé, who is she ? '' Jisoo asked. Her eyebrows suddenly shot up '' Are you dating her ? ''

Rosé sat up in horror.

'' No! It's nothing like that. She saved my life yesterday. That's all.''

'' Then why are you acting all weird ? ''

Rosé looked down, avoiding her friend's gaze '' So i might like her a little bit.'''

'' Rosé, she's your superior. Hello ! '' Jisoo waved her hands in front of Rosé '' I'm pretty sure there is a legal issue in there somewhere.''

'' I know ! '' Rosé was beginning to regret ever saying anything '' But i just find myself wanting to know more about her. I tried avoiding her but we work at the same place and we have rounds together. There's not much to do.''

'' I advise you to be careful. You don't want to put your residency at risk because of this.'' Jisoo said softly as she patted her friend's shoulder.

Rosé nodded in agreement '' I have exams coming up. I can't afford to mess up.''

'' Right '' Jisoo sighed, her face turned thoughtful '' Why not change supervisors ? You're allowed to do that right ? ''.

Rosé's eyes widened '' You're a genius Jisoo '' She was grinning  from ear to ear.

How had she not thought of this before ? The easiest of solutions had been staring her right in the face, this whole time.

Rosé opened the door that leads to the hospital roof. She had been here enough of times to know her way around. Nobody ever came here. She was already sighing a wave of relief when the cold breeze hit her face. But there was a new out of place sound that pricked her hearing.

She spotted the very person she was trying to avoid for the past few days sitting against a vent, a lit cigarette in hand. Rosé silently dropped down next to her. Suzy didn't notice

Please log in to read the full chapter