Chapter 6

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

The library was far too quiet. Rosé sat on the floor between the rows of bookshelves, hands on her head, looking down. She glanced at the clock, wondering just how long she has been sat here. It has been such an exhausting week. Every round with Dr Lee was suffocating.

'' It's closing time.'' A voice interrupted her thoughts.

She looked up, a security  guard was looking down at her.

'' Oh, okay ''

She slowly stood up, stretching her cramped muscles out before picking up her books. Pushing open the doors, she strode through the dimly lit corridors of the hospital. She looked at her watch. She was going to miss her rounds. She sped up her pace and rounded a corner.

'' Woah ! ''

Rosé collided into Suzy who had been walking towards her in the opposite direction. She lost her her balance and fell down on the hard floor, her books and papers raining down beside her. Suzy stumbled but managed to catch herself in time as her phone shot out of her phone before clattering onto the floor.

'' That was totally unexpected.''

Rosé pushed herself up and started gathering her papers and books. Suzy knelt down and helped the young resident in picking up her books.

'' Are you okay ? That was kind of a bad fall.''

'' I'm fine. Don't worry about it '' Rosé shrugged.

'' Can you even carry all that ? Do you need a hand ? ''

Touched by Suzy's kindness, Rosé felt a wave of guilt threatening to consume her. She had been foolish.

'' I had made a decision. I was coming to tell you after my rounds.''

'' I already gave the director the signed form. '' Suzy leant against the wall, surveying her phone for any damage.

'' What ? But you told you were going to give me a week to make a decision ! '' Rosé bursted out.

Suzy looked at her watch '' And i did ! The time i gave you ended thirty minutes ago. '' She paused '' I thought you already made your decision when you didn't come to my office.''

Rosé's eyes widened '' Please tell me you didn't do that ! '' 

Suzy just shrugged as she resumed looking at her phone again. Exasperated at the woman's lack of response, lack of anger at her, Rosé grabbed her by the shoulders attempting to shake some action into her '' But that was not my decision ! i don't even like general surgery.''

'' Steady there. '' Suzy protested as she put her phone away and turned her full attention at Rosé '' Can you calm down first ? My shoulder is still a little sore, you know ? ''

Rosé immediately regretted her outburst as she remembered the doctor's injured shoulder. She immediately removed her hands and looked at her apologetically '' I'm sorry. '' She looked down as she closed her eyes and sighed heavily '' Will the director listen to me if i tell him that i want to go back to cardiology ? ''

'' Sure, go ahead and give it a try if you want him to think you're an immature resident ''

'' Suzy, please i'm being serious '' Rosé pleaded '' I commited a big mistake and i regret it.'' She paused '' It's you that i want as my supervisor ! ''

Suzy ran a hand through her hair '' But it's too late now ! ''

'' Is there really no way out of this ? '' Rosé's voice was full of sadness and regret.

Catching sight of Rosé's perplexed expression, Suzy shrugged as she grinned '' Maybe if it's a joke.''

Rosé's eyes wided '' You didn't give the form to the director ? '' When Suzy shook her head, Rosé's lips curled up upwards into a charming smile '' I really believed you ! I deserved this in the first place. I'm really sorry. I hope you can forgive me for what i did.''

Suzy smiled '' All is forgiven.''

Rosé moved closer to Suzy, one step and then another, and wrapped her arms around the doctor, giving her a warm hug '' Thank you '' She whispered.

Rosé could hear Suzy's breathing falter for a second, and when she pulled back, Suzy's eyes took a moment to reopen.

Before she could process what was happening, Suzy felt Rosé grabbing her hand and pulling her with her inside an on-call room before quickly closing the door behind her.

'' Dr Lee is doing her rounds right now and she is heading in our direction '' 

Inside the room, door closed and the only light peering in through the gaps in the window.

'' And why are we hiding  ? ''

'' Because she hates me and i'm trying to avoid her wrath.''

Suzy's lighthearted tone changed to mildly accusing '' So you came running to me after Dr Lee acted rudely towards you '' She paused '' So, i'm basically the lesser of two evils. Well that sure makes me feel better.'' She glanced at Rosé '' How very nice.''

'' Come on, Suzy, it's not like that.'' 

'' We're awfully close.''

It was then when Rosé realised Suzy's face was merely inches away from her own. She swallowed and could see the doctor was having a hard time with their close proximity. Neverthless, neither made an attempt to leave.

Rosé heaved a doubtful sigh '' Suzy, i have to tell you someth- ''

Suzy hold up a hand and Rosé found herself falling silent '' Whatever your reasons were for avoiding me, i believe you were doing what you thought was right.''

Please log in to read the full chapter