Chapter 10

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Suzy walked out into the hidden part of the hospital and outside. Looking up into the sky, it seemed as though it was going to rain tonight.

She sighed heavily and looked around. This was the interns' spot to relax and gossip. She made sure no one was around before reaching into her pocket and pulling the infamous box of cigarettes that had her brushing her teeth almost too often.

It was raining now, but the overhead of the building allowed her damp hair to breathe easy from the rain.

Closing her eyes, she tried to breath through the pain. She needed to have the surgery sooner than later. She dreaded the process, the medication, the physical therapy. She was familiar with this level of pain and there would be no short-cutting the process.

She sighed as she took a cigarette from the pack and drew it to and lit it. She took a long drag as she continued to watch the sky.

'' Suzy.'' She heard

Startled, she turned to look at the very person she was trying to hide from '' R-Rosé, why are you - ? ''

'' You know, that should be my question, '' Rosé told her, sighing as she did.

She took the cigarette from her supervisor's fingers and flicked it into a puddle.

'' Sorry. I know i promised you -... ''

'' I knew you were smoking this whole time, '' Rosé said.

'' You do ? ''

'' I do. I saw the pack in your pocket, Suzy. It's not hard to miss. I figured I'd let you tell me when you wanted to, '' She explained.

'' I'm going to have the surgery. ''

'' Oh Suzy.''

Rosé found herself embracing Suzy tightly. She smiled softly at her and then closed in for a gentle kiss.

'' Rosé, It seems like you're breaking your own rules right now.'' Suzy , pulling away. The quick movement sent a stabbing pain through her shoulder. it radiated outward, down her arm, across her back, and up her neck. She couldn't bite back her gasp of pain.

'' Are you okay ?  I'm sorry, i should had been more careful.'' Rosé's voice was full of concern.

Suzy's lips were lifted into a smile, trying to appear like she wasn't in any pain and trying to strike a face that portrayed reassurance and wordless said ' Everything's fine'

'' Nothing a couple of paracetamol can't kill '' Suzy spoke out loud.

'' Were you always in pain after the surgery ? ''

'' Yes. It hurts all the time. It was ridiculous at first. The meds and therapy seemed useless '' She paused in thought '' Then i had my shoulder checked again and the raison i was in so much pain was because of a possible damage to the nerve. If something goes wrong, I'll never hold a scalpel again.''

Rosé reached for the doctor with her hand '' That won't happen. I know it's going to be a long process but i'm going to be with you during every step of it.''

A long deafening silence ensued.

Rosé could feel Suzy staring at her. Her expression was one of vulnerability and relief. And Rosé was sure that her own face was reflecting back those same emotions.

She suddenly recalled a phrase that she had once read somewhere ' Love was just a word, until someone came along and gave it a meaning.'

She looked up and saw Suzy's mouth soundlessly form three words.

'' I love you.''

With the weight of countless untold iloveyous, Rosé whispered her own earnest utterance.

'' I love you .. too."

She had all the time in the world to utter those words and repeat them again and again and .. again.

Monday's mornings were never Rosé's best times. She often found the after effects of the weekends would haunt her into the following week, and she'd miss the warm comfort of her bed.

This morning had been no different. Rosé had been nearly sleepwalking into the main entrance of the hospital. It was, of course, much more lively and packed than Rosé's mind. The contrast was painfully loud to her ears.

She followed her usual route to the elevator, but stopped promptly before getting inside. Out of the far corner of her eye, she saw a familiar face, Nam Joo Hyuk, he was an orthopedic surgeon. He was conversing with Suzy.

Rosé took about ten seconds to remove her eyes from Suzy's figure, clad in a black work suit. She made everything appealing.

Suzy's face turned to one of a stern boss, and Nam Joo Hyuk's eyes fell to the floor. Rosé swore she heard the words 'Date' and 'Confession'. The orthopedic doctor looked embarrassed. Did he just ask Suzy on a date ?  Rosé's heart began hammering in her chest, and she tried to ignore the feelings she felt in the pit of her stomach. Why was she so desperate to know her answer ? Was this jealousy ?

That was when Rosé locked eyes with Suzy from across the lobby. Her first reaction was terrible. She couldn't be caught trying to eavesdrop on her supervisor.

Rosé ran to the nearest vacant elevator, slamming at least five or six floor buttons in her haste to escape an explanation.

That, of course, was in vain when Suzy stepped on right as the door began to close.

Rosé felt her cheeks turn red.

'' Rosé.'' Suzy turned to her.

'' Good morning, Suzy '' Rosé breathed, feeling very small in her corner of the elevator.

'' Tell me, is it routine for you to press every button available on the elevator panel ? or is that only when you're avoiding me ? '' Suzy asked with a smirk.

Rosé glanced at the brightly lit ceiling '' Um ... '' She began '' I saw you with Dr Nam, and i ... didn't want you to think i was listening or anything .. ''

Please log in to read the full chapter