Chapter 5

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Suzy woke up with a feeling. A bad one. She knew something was going to go wrong today and she totally did not want to get out of bed. Her head hurt. Hurt from the confusion and trying to second-guess what exactly happened yesterday. Rosé was confusing her.

She could understand the motives behind Rosé's actions and her reservations with regards to their relationship. But why keep coming at her and trying to make a move ? The young resident was the one who put her hand around around her waist and her cheek. She didn't ask for it.

Maybe she was supposed to be the responsible party ?

Just when she thought her the morning could not get any worse, she was stuck in traffic on her way to the hospital.

'' Great, just great.'' She mumbled to herself. 

She pulled over on the road when she heard screaming. She grabbed her purse and her ID's as she got out of the car to see what was going on. As she started to approach the scene, she realised this was no small accident. The place was crawling with ambulances. There was a semi-track involved. The track was flipped over on the side of the road, one car smashed into the nearby guardrail, and another stuck under the semi.

Suzy turned to the nearest EMT '' What happened ? ''

'' Miss, this is very dangerous '' The man replied '' You need to back away.''

'' I'm a doctor '' She said as she flashed her ID '' I am a cardiovascular surgeon. I can help. Who's in critical condition ?''

The EMT led her to a young woman who's trapped underneath the truck. A metal was poking through her abdomen.

Suzy walked up to the woman. She observed the wound through her abdomen. She took the woman's heartbeat and flashed some light into her eyes. This woman could be internally bleeding and there was also a risk of some sort of head trauma. She needed a CT immediately and most likely surgery.

'' The wound on her abdomen seems stable for now. The metal goes straight through and she's not in danger of bleeding out. '' She took a deep breath '' But she could be bleeding internally. I would recommend stabilizing her head. After that have her sent to AMC hospital.''

The EMT nodded '' Thank you, doctor.''

~~~~

Suzy took a deep breath and went to scrub in. As she got to the scrub room, she saw that Ji Eun and some of the residents including Rosé were also scrubbed in and waiting for her.

'' Alright, let's start on removing this piece of metal from her stomach, shall we ? Scalpel, please.'' And with that she began to remove the object from the young women.

She could feel the stares of the residents, she knew they were impressed.

Just as she was about to finish her repairs on the organs and close up, the machines began to beep, indicating erratic heartbeat and that the blood pressure was dropping.

Suzy knew the best thing to do was put the last stitches in place and back away from the young woman, as the vital usually stabilize on their own. One of the resident on the other hand, didn't seem to understand what Suzy was doing.

'' What are you doing Dr Bae ? '' The resident exclaimed while stepping forward '' Her vitals are dropping ! ''.

Suzy sighed '' The vital signs will stabilize on their own. You have clearly never encountered this before but there's nothing to worry about.''

As soon as she finished saying that, the vitals signs did indeed level out on their own.

'' See ? It's fine .'' She closed her eyes against a sharp throb that coursed through her shoulder. Not now !

She turned to face the third year resident '' Since you seem to want to help out in someway, you may close up the wound.''

The surgery was very successful with no complications. It was a textbook procedure, yet Suzy made it look beautiful, not standard or normal. It was amazing, the way she worked, her stitches and cut were flawless. Making it seem as if the surgery was an art instead of just an emergency surgery.

This is what Rosé and the rest of the residents noticed as they watched her during the surgery. Suzy made them want to watch her; she drew them in.

With that, strolled out of the OR and into the scrub room. As she was scrubbing out, someone approached her. It was Ji Eun. Suzy smiled.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, raised her eyebrow at Suzy '' What happened between you and the new resident Park Rosé ? ''

Suzy sighed '' Nothing. Why ? ''

'' She wants to change her current supervisor which is you ! '' She paused '' She wants me to be her new supervisor. She said she no longer wants to pursue the field of cardiology. ''

Suzy couldn't blame her. Her feelings were in absolute turmoil. She felt utterly crestfallen upon hearing the news but she understood the motives behind Rosé's actions. She knew she needed her approval to be able to change her supervisor. As much as it pained her she would respect the young resident's decision.

A knock sounded before the door was opened. Suzy's office was dark and quiet and the blinds were closed.

Rosé was about to turn around and walk out, when her eyes adjusted to the darkness and caught the slumped form occupying the desk.

Please log in to read the full chapter