Chapter 19

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thank you all for reading! All of your comments have been greatly appreciated!

Suzy walked out of the scrub having successfully repaired a damaged aorta.

'' Umm, Dr Bae.'' The director's voice came from behind her as Suzy left the scrub room. '' The chief of surgery from Cleveland clinic, Dr Anthony  is here and wants to talk to you. He's waiting for you in your office.''

A look of surprise crossed Suzy's face. What would a chief of surgery from Cleveland clinic, a hospital that is considered one of the best hospitals in United States, want to see her for.

She made it to her office, Dr Anthony was waiting.

'' Dr Bae, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. '' He reached out to shake her hand '' I heard a lot about you for the past few years. I read some articles online last week and i'm to understand that you successfully performed a world-first lymphoma removal on a twenty-eight year old patient ? '' He questioned.

'' Yes, sir '' Was her polite response.

'' I know that many hospitals are hoping to - ... '' She didn't hear the rest of whatever he had to say as she the screen of her phone light up and  Rosé's  name flashed across.

Dr Anthony's voice dragged her gaze from the screen before she had the chance to read the message '' So, Dr Bae ? '' He asked.

'' I'm sorry, i was not paying attention to what you were saying.'' She replied '' Working a 24-hour shift is no joke.''

'' I said, i understand that many hospitals very much wish to have you as their cardio-thoracic surgeon. I myself would like to offer you a position as the chief of Cardio-thoracic department at Cleveland Clinic. '' He repeated.

'' That's an honor Dr Anthony. I'm still thinking over my options right now. But I'll consider your offer '' She smiled back as naturally as she could. A look of shock came over the Cleveland clinic's chief of surgery's face. No one had refused an offer like this before. '' Thank you for your offer though.''

Setting her purse on the coffee table, Rosé collapsed, onto the couch, next to Suzy. Heavy sigh, she sank into the cushions and tossed her head back as she allowed herself to close her eyes, to finally rest for a few moments.

'' You'll never guess what happened,'' Rosé said.

'' What happened ? '' Suzy asked, a little confused by the urgency in Rosé's tone. Folding her arms over her chest as she sank further into the couch.

'' I made an amazing friend at Johns hopkins and i thought i would never see her again. A week ago, i found out she worked at our hospital. She has the same age as you.'' she paused '' Her name is Lee Hyeri, do you know her ? ''

Suzy nodded '' She's my best friend ''

'' What ? '' Rosé frowned.

It was Suzy's turn to frown deeply '' What's with your face ? You don't seem happy to know that we're friends.''

Rosé shook her head '' I may have told her about you, i mean our relationship, i didn't mention your name but Hyeri is smart.''

Suzy sighed in relief '' Good.''

'' You are not bothered by it ? '' Rosé asked, her eyebrows still furrowed.

All of a sudden, Suzy was sitting straighter as she shifted slightly, turning towards Rosé '' I saw you at the attending lounge the other day. I saw the way you looked at each other. I thought you were dating. '' She paused '' So, yes, Chaeyoung, i don't mind if she knows.''

Rosé couldn't help but laugh '' The way we looked at each other ? That might the funniest thing that you said to me all week and it's only Wednesday. I can't believe it. You thought we were dating ? ''

A small anxious grin appeared on Suzy's lips '' We broke up four years ago. What did you expect me to think ? And it didn't help that Hyeri kept talking about this amazing person she was meeting. I may have been a little jealous.''

'' The only person i keep looking at is you. I like looking at you. Like, a lot. In case you haven't noticed.''

Suzy felt her cheeks grow hot and her heartbeat speed up, a smile spread on her lips against her will.

'' You have no reason to be jealous.''  Her hand flew to rest on Suzy's cheek, her thumb caressing the skin back and forth as if it was the softest thing she had ever touched. She leaned in slowly, like she had all the time in the world, letting Suzy plenty of time to stop it she thought she was not taking it slow. Suzy's slowly followed the lead though, slowly leaning in. The kiss was short but gentle and caring. It wasn't about taking or giving  the other anything, it was about sharing their feelings.

A moment passed as Rosé stared at Suzy '' Since we agreed to be honest, is there anything you want to share with me ? ''

Suzy shook her head '' No, nothing of importance. '' She smiled at Rosé '' So what do you want for dinner ? ''

Rosé's whole demeanor changed and she looked away from Suzy, she looked anywhere but at her '' Nothing of importance really ? '' She asked '' Are you doing this on purpose ? ''

'' Chaeyoung, what are you talking about ? ''

Rosé's breathe was shaky as she failed to hide her frown '' The whole hospital are talking about the position the Chief of surgery from Cleveland clinic offered you. And you had no intention to tell me ? I haven't slept properly for the past three days because i kept thinking about it. Is that why you want to take things slow ? So you can leave me before we get too involved ? ''

'' Can you listen - '' Suzy reached her hand but Rosé immediately pulled away.

'' I even heard rumors that you accepted the offer and signed the contract.''

'' You could have asked me Chaeyoung, i didn't think it was worth mentioning since - ...''

'' You hid it from me ''

'' Chaeyoung- ''

'' You lied to me.''

'' Can you just let me explain please ? '' Rosé could hear the frustra

Please log in to read the full chapter