Chapter 2

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

The hospital cafeteria was busy. Doctors and patients alike filled the tables. Rosé had been waiting for fifteen minutes. She scanned the room again in case she missed the tall doctor walking into the cafeteria.

She had brought her packed lunch with her. The sandwich she made hastily this morning did not look exactly appetising. She took a sip of her orange juice as she decided to wait for Suzy.

'' Hello there.''

Although she heard that voice only a handful of times, it was already a formed memory seared into her brain. Rosé looked behind her, facing her attending. 

'' I'm sorry for being late, i had a mountain of paperwork to get through '' She sat down opposite Rosé and smiled.

Rosé looked at the older doctor properly for the first time. She looked even more gorgeous now that her face wasn't hidden by the surgical garb. 

'' Is that what you're eating ? '' Suzy asked, pointing at her sandwich '' I'll buy you lunch.''

'' No. You really don't have to '' Rosé protested. Her stomach gave a loud rumble.

Suzy laughed '' It's on me '' She insisted.

Rosé had come under the impression that the woman never took a no for an answer. In the end she gave in and nodded '' I owe you a favour.''

Suzy stood up and turned back '' Any preferences ? '' Her hand was resting on Rosé's shoulders with a gentle pressure. Rosé felt a slight tingle caused by the touch.

'' Anything's fine '' She replied softly.

After a short period, Suzy returned with a tray of sandwiches, drinks and desserts, she set the tray down and sat down.

'' Thank you '' Rosé said with a smile '' You really didn't have to do that.''

'' Should i have let you starve yourself instead ? '' She said, gesturing at Rosé's sandwich '' So, tell me about yourself '' She leant forward, elbows resting on table.

Rosé proceeded to tell her what she had told the director earlier.

'' How are you an attending doctor ? '' Rosé asked curiously '' You don't look that much older than me, yet you're a senior doctor already.''

Suzy sat back and crossed her arms '' I kind of bribed my seniors to make my way to the top.'' She nodded her head with perfect sincerity '' It was worth all the money.''

Rosé looked at the woman '' You're joking right ? ''

Suzy's serious face turned into a smile '' You're so easy to fool '' She paused '' I skipped a few years during high school. I guess that's why.''

'' Wow '' Rosé exclaimed in genuine amazement '' You must have been super intelligent.''

All of a sudden, Rosé had the urge to know everything about this woman. But before she finished entertaining the thought, Suzy spoke.

'' I have to get going. Meet me on ward C15 at 2 pm. I shall be doing my round then. ''

And again, the woman stood up, gathered her stuff and walked away.

'' Thank you again for the lunch.''

Suzy turned around and smiled as she stopped '' And please throw that sandwich away. ''

The automatic doors flung open as Rosé walked in, ward C15  was a cardiology ward, naturally patients who inhabited it had various problems related to the heart. She saw a woman about her age sat on one of the table in the doctor's room, wearing a white coat.

'' Hello ? ''

The woman looked up '' Oh, hello. Are you the newbie ? ''

'' Yes '' Rosé nodded '' I'm Rosé.''

The woman stood up and approached her '' I'm Lisa.'' She pointed over her shoulder at a woman reading a chart, who had not uttered a word since Rosé came in  '' And this is Jennie.''

Please log in to read the full chapter