Someone who’s with me but not

Paper Airplane

Sungjae’s POV

 

“Ilhoon Hyung”

 

I yelled from my room as his room is just in front of mine. He is a quiet person. I think he likes staying alone but then he is not. He likes to party and meet with different people. Sometimes he talks a lot. He talks a lot with the person he is comfortable with. He leads me a lot and makes most of the decision of mine even I didn’t tell him to. Like when we are buying clothes, he wants me to wear the color he likes. That’s too much but he is cute so.

 

“What?”
 

He yelled back from his room. Peniel Hyung is mostly busy with his work since he is not student anymore and me and Ilhoon Hyung are still studying so we got plenty of free times.

 

“I am hungry”

 

I shouted back as he came into my room. I was so lazy to move around so I used my voice as strength. Like usual, he walked into my room with phone in hand and the message sound kept ringing. That means he was chatting with someone. He smiled while texting back.

 

“You gonna cook?”

 

He asked as I shook my head.

 

“You?”

 

I asked back as he did the same.

 

“I am craving Korean food. Let’s go eat out”

 

I said as he agreed. So, we decided to go out. And I took off my clothes to change so did he.

 

“You drive?”

 

I asked as he nodded. He mostly drove me around. But he was still into his phone.

 

“We have to go grocery after that”

 

He nodded as he started the engine. As far as I knew he broke up with his girlfriend because of the long-distance reason. I know the long-distance is hard but then who is he kept chatting? That’s the question I am the most curious about.

 

He said it’s a friend. As I checked his phone, it’s a guy. So, it may really be friend. But why? Do friends talk a lot? Maybe his friends.

 

He replied to that person message even he was driving.

 

“Your friends are not sleeping?”

 

I asked with curious face. It’s 1pm here so in Korea it should be 4am in the morning.

 

“He just woke up. When I half awake at 6am, he told me to sleep back. I think he fell asleep after that. Now he woke up looking for food”

 

He chuckled.

 

“My friend asked what we gonna eat”

 

He said as he replied the message. Yes, he kept doing that till the other party stop replying. He was like that since I first knew him. It wasn’t been that long that we became roommate. At first, he lived alone. I was living with my girlfriend. After we broke up, I dragged him to live with me since I don’t like living alone. He was like that since then. As my experience of living one year with him, I can feel that he is always looking at the far, spacing out. He usually said he wants to go back home.

 

I don’t know the reason why, but he usually says he wanna go back. He sometimes checked the flight tickets and see if he can go back or not. But unfortunately, it was always the wrong timing.

 

“Sungjae”

 

He called my name. I paid attention to him while listening to the loud music in car.

 

“There is a person who you have crush since young. That person sometimes doesn’t care about you but then suddenly get a lot of attention. And another one is someone who you are currently in love with. Who would you choose between that two?”

 

I was confused by his question.

 

“So, your childhood friend doesn’t like you and suddenly want you back, but you already have girlfriend?”

 

I asked back.

 

“Kind of like that. But it’s not sure that person love you or not. You just get some attention. Who would you choose between that two? This isn’t about me”

 

“Umm…”

 

“I will rather go with my current relationship since that person isn’t really sure if she loves me or not. Why would I risk? And my childhood crush isn’t pretty anymore”

 

I chuckled as he did the same.

 

Me and Ilhoon Hyung really have a close relationship. He asked random questions and so do I. He knows all of my lifetime experience as I think I know his too. We would make fun of each other with that.

 

He is really my bestfriend except he sometimes spaces out and being on phone most of the time. Except that he is the best roommate I have ever met. He helps me a lot as his own problems. There was a time I was heartbroken as hell and he made me getting back to normal as now. He means a lot to me.