Piano Class

Paper Airplane

Flashback….

 

“Ilhoonie…ilhoonie”

 

I heard my cousin brother loud voice as I was excited to go out. Even he did everything which would break the rules, I don’t know why my parents really believe in him. I think it’s his strength. He knows how to talk with older people well.

 

“Son, your Changsub Hyung is here”

 

Mom told me as I walked out from my room after washing my face. When I walked out, I saw him talking something seriously with my mom. This is one of the things I like about him and the skill that I don’t have. He knows how to talk and influence people.

 

“What are you two talking about?”

 

I asked as I sat beside Changsub Hyung.

 

“I am introducing your mom to my friend to teach you Piano”

 

I frowned as soon as I heard. What? Piano class? For what? Again? My mom always wanted to learn piano since she was young, but she didn’t have a chance to learn probably so she wants me to fulfill the wish she couldn’t. As an only child of her, she always wants to lead and guide me all my life. I don’t really like that, but I love her so.

 

“Son, Changsub’s friend is a private piano instructor. He said he plays the piano really well. The piano class will be starting next week”

 

I had no decision on it. Actually, I’ve been learning piano for several months already with 3 different instructors. I didn’t like any of them and I made them leave themselves. So that my mom won’t scold me. But she knows well about his son. It’s like a cool war between the stubborn mom and stubborn son. Now Changsub Hyung included.

 

I frowned toward Changsub Hyung as he smirked back. But it’s okay I know this one won’t last long too. I will make you leave. I won’t fire you instead you will be leaving yourself.

 

I smiled myself thinking about how I did to other instructors.

 

“Ilhoonie, your piano teacher arrives!”

 

I heard Changsub Hyung’s voice. I think he came together with his friend so called piano instructor. My mom wasn’t at home. I went out from the room with just black t-shirt and black sweatpants I used to wear at home with uncombed hair and walked to the piano room I mean the room where I study and attend private class.

“Hey, this is your instructor. His name is Im Hyunsik”

 

My Hyung said as I was surprised by the coincidence. Hyunsik? I’ve heard that name before. As I checked the person, I saw a guy standing in front of me smiling with his eyes smile wearing the blue shirt with white pants.

 

“Hello, Ilhoonie. Nice to meet you”

 

He said with his smile as I greeted back awkwardly.

 

“Okay I will leave you two. I have to go. Bye Ilhoon. Don’t make him leave. I’ve told him about the stubborn head”

 

It’s just awkward between us after Changsub Hyung left. So, he smiled at me and I was just staring at him with my poker face.

 

“Let’s start the lesson. At first, you need to show me what you got so I can know where to start”

 

After that one smile, he changed to the real instructor. I felt like a really small kid in front of him. The matureness and the way he talks to me made me respect him a little bit. I mean silently. I didn’t show it.

 

“You are pretty good at memorizing. I can feel the potential in your hand. See you next day”

 

He said as he left. I didn’t talk much to him. Just listen and did what he teaches me and tell me to do. How can the stranger I met at the bar becomes my instructor? He has a vibe. I don’t know what is it but he made me listen to him with just sweet words I couldn’t deny.

 

“How was it going?”

 

My mom looked for me to ask as soon as he came back.

 

“Not bad”

 

I answered heartlessly.

 

“I heard from Changsub that he is really good at piano and he even got so many awards from competition”

 

I nodded while playing game.

 

“May be”

 

I kept focusing on game.

 

“Hey, stop the game right now. I have important things to say. You have to focus on the piano class. I just register you for the competition in next February”

 

This is something which made me really shock. What? The competition? Isn’t it too much?

 

“I am not entering any competition, mom”

 

I defended strongly. I should, right? This isn’t my career. I should be what I want to be. Not her.

 

“Mom, isn’t it too much? I never want to be pianist”

 

My mom completely ruined my good mood. Why? She always wants me to be a good student. Exactly the top student in class and I tried my best to do that and I was always 1st in class and now the piano. Piano is too much.

 

“I don’t want to”

 

I denied.

 

“You have to. Just prepare for the competition”

 

She said. No, she ordered as she left the room. I yelled from stress as I threw away my Ps4 controller to the wall.