Chapter 8

Online Now
All day long, Max tried to call Hana almost every half hour. The other DBSK members just watched as Max continuously called Hana over and over again.

Max sighed. It was already 5:15 pm. She was already out of school, but her phone was still busy. How he wished he could go home already and see if she was already online. But then he remembered she just goes online at around 7 pm.

Max sighed again. He wasn't very good at waiting especially when it concerns Hana.

“Don't worry, Max. You'll be able to talk with her tonight,” Jaejoong said as he gently patted Max's shoulder.

Max tried to smile. “I hope so hyung.”

At Hana's house . . . . .

“Hana! Why don't you just break up with that guy?” Ji-Young asked angrily.

“Ji-Young . . . .” Hana uttered.

“You're not a punching bag, Hana. Have pity on yourself. Why do you let that guy treat you like this? Whenever he's angry, he becomes violent. Do yo know that's the reason why his ex-girlfriend dumped him?” Ji-Young asked.

“He's just . . . .” Hana was about to say something but Ji-Young interrupted her.

“He's what? He's a total jerk, loser and a devil to be exact,” Ji-Young said angrily.

“Don't be like that . . . .” Hana said.

“Oh! Hana . . . .what should I do with you?” Ji-Young said with a sigh.

Hana tried to laugh but her lower lip was already swollen and it hurts when she talks and especially when she laughs.

“See! Now you're hurting because of him. Ever since you answered that guy . . . .just how many times have he hit you already? The two of you have only been together for more than two weeks and he has been constantly hitting you every time he's angry with you,” Ji-Young suddenly grabbed Hana's hands and held it. “Come on, Hana. Just break up with him. I hate to see you like this. You're such a nice girl and you don't deserve this.”

“Ji-Young . . . .he's my first boyfriend. And I really want this relationship to work. And as for . . . .well . . . .I make him mad maybe I do deserve it.”

“Oh! For God's sake! No one ever deserves to be hit. Especially not you! You're too nice, Hana. You deserve someone better than Jong Soo,” Ji-Young said with tears already forming in her eyes. She pitied her friend. She knew Hana ever since she moved to Seoul. She had been friends with her for more than five years now. And she has seen how hard Hana's life was for the last five years. But Hana just kept on working and studying even her frail body was already giving up. She admired her friend's determination and perseverance.

Ji-Young started to cry.

“Ji-Young . . . .don't cry please . . . .” Hana said as tears also started to form in her eyes.

“Hana . . . .I don't like seeing you like this. I love you like my own sister and it really hurts me to see you like this,” Ji-Young said as he gently touched Hana's face and the wound on her lips.

“Ji-Young . . . .”

“Please promise you'll think about it. Please . . .” Ji-Young pleaded.

“Jong Soo is a nice guy. He just has a bad temper, that's all. And besides . . . .I'm already lucky that he actually liked me . . . .me . . . . a nobody. While he's . . . . he's rich and popular with the girls,” Hana said with a smile.

“There are other guys . . . . Hana, he doesn't deserve you. You're way too good for him. I know how much you want to have your first relationship also be the last. But just let go of your illusion. You can have other relationships after Jong Soo. And then you can try working on those other relationships. But please stop hanging on with your relationship with Jong Soo. He's too violent. I'm afraid that the next time that he gets mad at you, you'll end up in the hospital. Please just let him go,” Ji-Young said as she tried to wipe away her tears.

Hana sighed. She knew that Ji-Young was right. But she always pictured her first relationship to also be her very last. She was very determined to try and work things out with Jong Soo.

But Hana suddenly remembered Max. Her heart skipped a beat. She sighed. Maybe things would have been different if she just ended up with Max, the thought suddenly entered her mind. Her heart started pounding.

Hana froze. “Why did I think of that?” she asked herself. All of a sudden, Hana became very confused. “Am I already falling in love with Max?” she asked herself again.

“Hana . . . .” Ji-Young uttered.

“Ji-Young . . . . I need to ask you something. I'm very confused about something,” Hana said.

“What?” Ji-Young asked.

“You know the guy that I've been telling you about . . . Max . . . . well . . . “ Hana started to say.

“Max? The guy you met online?” Ji-Young asked.

Hana nodded.

“So what about him?” Ji-Young asked.

Hana didn't know how to start what she wanted to say. She was afraid that Ji-Young was going to lecture her again.

“So?” Ji-Young asked again.

“I think I'm starting to like Max . . . .” Hana quickly answered.

“What? Are you serious?” Ji-Young asked.

“Yes . . .” Hana replied.

Ji-Young looked at he friend. Judging by Hana's expression, she knew that her friend was serious. Ji-Young didn't know whether she should encourage her to continue and explore her true feelings for Max or just stop her also just like what she's doing with Jong Soo. She really cared for her friend. And the last thing she wanted was Hana to be hurt.

Ji-Young looked at Hana's face again. Then she suddenly decided that she would rather have her friend take a chance on a guy she hasn't met before than to continue having a relationship with a very brutal man.

“If you think you're really starting to like Max . . . .then you should try to end your relationship with Jong Soo first. It's the only fair thing to do,” Ji-Young answered.

Hana looked at her friend. She was right. She needed to settle things with Jong Soo first.

“Hana . . . . I just want you to know that frankly I don't agree with you having a relationship with someone you haven't met before. But I really want you to be happy. And I think you will never be happy with Jong Soo so I am encouraging you now to see what fate you have with this Max guy . . . .” Ji-Young said with a smile.

“Ji-Young . . . . thank you,” Hana replied as she gently embraced her friend.

Ji-Young wished that her friend would find her happiness. She wished that Max would finally be able to make her friend experience happiness and true love.

“Break up with Jong Soo first okay?” Ji-Young pleaded again.

Hana nodded. She didn't know if Max also felt the same way about her. Then she finally decided . . . .She was going to give it a try. She was going to break up with Jong Soo . . . . and tell Max about her feelings for him. She didn't care about what Max's reaction might be. But what she cared about the most was that she was finally going to be true to herself.