Chapter 3

Online Now
“Max is still asleep?” U-Know asked Jaejoong.

“Yeah . . . . He was busy typing away at the computer last night. I couldn't sleep,” Jaejoong said but he was smiling. He could still remember the smile on Max's lips while he was on the computer last night.

“So did you happen to catch a glimpse of the girl? Did she have a picture posted or did they chat online using the webcam?” Micky asked.

“Micky . . . .You're being nosy again . . . .”U-Know said with a smile.

“Hey! We can all be nosy if we want . . . .so did you see anything?” Xiah asked Jaejoong too.

Jaejoong just shook his head. Xiah and Micky both sighed.

“Well . . . .we should just let him sleep for a little while longer. Since we only have a rehearsal in the afternoon,” U-Know said to the other DBSK members.

“Yes . . . He'll surely survive missing one breakfast at least once a year,” Micky said with a big laugh.

The other DBSK members laughed. Unknown to them, Max was already awake. He just didn't want to go out yet. He was still thinking about Hana. He can't get her out of his mind. He was very confused. He knew that Hana would be on her way to school by that time. So there was no chance that she will be online. Max kept on asking himself, if he was already addicted to using the computer or just addicted to talking to her. Then he started to think that he only met almost two days ago.

Max stared at the ceiling. What is she doing right now? He started to ask himself.
What did she eat today? Why am I feeling like this? Max wanted to ask someone but he knew that if he opened such a topic to either one of the other DBSK members, he would
never hear the end of it. They would all over and over again.

Max was wondering o n what to do when Jaejoong suddenly came in.

“You're awake? Why didn't you have breakfast with us? We still left some food for you at the table, if you're hungry,” Jaejoong said.

“I'm not hungry yet, I guess,” Max replied.

Jaejoong smiled. Then he gently touched Max's forehead. “Are you sick or something?” he asked with a smile.

“I'm fine,”

“Then why are you refusing food? That is very strange. What's wrong?” Jaejoong asked with concern.

Max suddenly looked at Jaejoong. He got up and sat on his bed. He really needed someone to talk to. Someone who could give him advice.

“Hyung . . . . It's just . . . .it's . . . .I'm confused. You know about the girl that I met online? I'm confused. I can't seem to get her out of my head. I keep on thinking about her,” Max said.

“And?” Jaejoong asked.

“Well . . . . That it! That's the problem. I keep on thinking about her,” Max said.

“There's nothing wrong with thinking about a girl. Maybe you just admire her that much or you're just curious about her so you constantly think about her. If I were you, I would try to know the girl better. You just met her a few days ago . . . .so don't tell me that you actually think that you're already in love with her? Don't mistake admiration or curiosity with love, Max. You're still new in the field of love . . . .so you should always try to keep your mind straight first, before your heart. Or else you'll end up getting hurt pretty bad,” Jaejoong said as advice to Max. He was very concerned with him and he didn't want Max to get hurt.

Max looked at Jaejoong. He was right. He was just worrying about nothing. Hana was just a new friend . . . .and nothing more. He didn't have to worry and think so much about her.

Max smiled at Jaejoong. “Thank you . . . hyung.”

Jaejoong smiled back. “Come on . . . .get out of bed already. Someone may suddenly get hungry and eat your breakfast,: he said as he pulled Max out of bed.

Max laughed, and he happily followed his hyung to the kitchen. He wasn't confused anymore. He had already made up his mind. From now on, he was going to try to know Hana better. And he had always told himself that Hana was just a friend . . . . just a friend . . . . nothing more . . . . nothing less.

That night . . . .

“Hello! How was your day?” hana typed as she saw that Max was already online.

“Fine . . . . and how about you?” Max asked.

“I guess . . . .fine also. So what did you do today?” Hana asked.

“The usual stuffs. How about you? Did the girls you told me about yesterday bother you again?” he asked.

“No . . . .they just ignored me the whole day. Frankly, I was relieved. Now I don't have to worry about them anymore. I think they are already over their anger with me,” Hana answered.

Max was somehow relieved as well. He didn't have to worry about Hana being hurt by those girls anymore.

Suddenly Max thought about asking Hana about herself.

“So Hana . . . .you said that your mother already passed away right? So who are you living with right now?”

“I live alone . . . .I've been living alone since I was fifteen years old. We don't have any relatives here in Korea. So I'm all alone. You see, my mother is a Japanese and as for my father . . . .I never knew him. My mother said that my father went to the States before I was born. And after he went there, he never contacted my mother again,” Hana answered.

Max felt sorry for Hana. He suddenly thought that Hana's life was full of hardships. And that she was very pitiful.

“So you live alone? Where do you live? . . . I mean the place where you live. . . .If you don't want to answer, you don't have to,” Max typed.

“I live in Seoul right now. I've been living here for five years now. After my mother dies, I moved to Seoul to get a better job and to study at a better school,” hana said.

“So you're the one paying for everything? Your school expenses, rent for the house, food and other bills?” Max asked. He couldn't believe a nineteen year old girl could handle such a hard life alone.

“Hahahahha . . . .of course. I pay for everything. That's why, I work. I work so I can provide for myself,” Hana answered.

Max just stared at the computer monitor. He suddenly thought that if it was him in Hana's situation, he would surely be very lost and confused on how to deal with things.

Again he admired Hana's determination and perseverance. She was a very strong girl.

Max smiled. Unconsciously, he started to type something. It was already too late when he realized what he had typed and sent.

“I really admire you . You're a very remarkable girl.”

Within seconds, Hana sent a reply.

“Thank you. It's really nice having a friend like you.”

“Friend?” Max suddenly asked himself. He suddenly smiled. Yes . . . . he was a friend . . . .only a friend, he thought.

Days passed into weeks. Max and Hana continued talking with one another through the computer. Hana was very honest with everything about her past and present life. While Max still tried to hide the truth about his real identity. Whenever Hana asked him some personal questions, he would always try to avoid answering them. And there were times that he didn't have any choice so he answered Hana's questions with lies. Max knew what he was doing was wrong. But there was nothing he could do.

As the days passed and they grew closer, Max felt more guilty for telling Hana lies about himself. How he wished he could take back everything he had said, and just told her the truth. He was afraid that there would come a time that Hana would find out who he really was and she would eventually be angry with him for telling her lies. He didn't want that day to come . . . he was very afraid . . .he was afraid of losing Hana. He wished that day would never come and that they could just stay as close friends forever.