Chapter 71 - Change

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

(✯◡✯) PS. this is the double update, if you didn't check out chapter 70. (✯◡✯)

 

 

“Arghhhh!” Hongjoong snaps his eyes open and gets up, cold sweat rolling down from his temples. He finds himself in the familiar surroundings of his cabin. The room is dim, but he can see clearly. Hongjoong touches his eyes. He doesn’t have to look into the mirror to know that they had turned into monstrous eyes.

The door opens abruptly. The quartermaster stomps inside with a pistol in his hand. “What happened?” He asks and scans around the room.

Hongjoong shakes his head. He had a dream. No, it was his past memory from where he lost his grandma and his journey to become pirate king, and when he met Aurora, except the last part where Star tackled him to the ground and started pulling his hair.

Hongjoong touches his mullet and chuckles. Star would never do that except when she was drunk. But his smile disappears when he remembers her tearful face. He didn’t know what kind of face she really made when he hugged Aurora. He groans and rubs his face with both hands.

Seonghwa walks closer to his bed, “Tell me if you’ve gone crazy like those monsters. I’m going to shoot you before you attack me.”

Hongjoong snorts and observes his mate. “Have you heard of Blackbeard? I think you’d do well with the name Black Fin.”

The fins on Seonghwa's ears twist, he points the pistol at his head. “Alright, time to select a new captain.”

Hongjoong rolls his eyes, but his mouth curves upward. Seonghwa always has dark humor from then until now.

“I see you wanna be Captain Black Fin.” And he also loves to tease Seonghwa because it's fun to annoy the expressionless guy.

Seonghwa snorts and retracts the pistol into the gun holder. They both peer at each other and chuckle at the same time.

“How did I end up here?” He recalls hugging Aurora and can’t remember anything else.

“You passed out.” Seonghwa answers.

Hongjoong raises his brow. It’s highly unlikely that he passed out.

“How’s the other?” He asks as he gets up, taking a red coat from the clothes rack and wear it. Seeing Seonghwa take a long time to answer, his heart goes cold. “Nevermind, I’ll see it for myself.” He heads toward the door but the quartermaster grabs his shoulder.

“There’s one thing you need to know.”

Hongjoong looks over his shoulder. Seonghwa’s serious expression made him hold his breath.

“We’re inside the devil’s triangle.”

There’s a short pause and Hongjoong exhales, “Good, we don’t have to waste time travelling.”

Seonghwa smirks bitterly, “Yeah, but we’re lost just like the last time.”

“We’ll find a way as long as we’re alive.” Hongjoong says, and opens the door. He comes face to face with a rose golden haired girl.

“Joong.” Her sweet voice shakes his heart. His body froze in the spot while scanning her face. Her every detail is still the same from his memory.

“I’ll wait outside.” Seonghwa says and brushes past him. He gives Aurora a curt nod and heads toward the door.

Once Seonghwa exits the room, Aurora starts speaking. “How are you feeling? I was so scared when you fainted.” She frowns, her eyes brim with glassy tears and curves downward. She always did that whenever she was worried.

Hongjoong hardly swallows saliva and answers, “I-I’m fine.”

Aurora nods, faintly smiling.

They stand in silence, staring into each other's eyes. Yet, they can’t utter anything else.

Actually, there’re many things Hongjoong wanted to say to her when he was dying in the cave. But at this moment, it’s all gone.

“Joong.” She says his nickname. He used to love it when she called him Joong. “At that moment, when I was losing you, I knew I made a grave mistake. I should’ve poured my heart to you. Even if it’s too late to say it now, I want to give you the answer that I tried to avoid.”

Breath caught in his throat. He’s not sure anymore that he wants to hear it.

“Joong, I want you to know that I lov-”

“Damn! We’re late.”

Aurora’s voice was cut off by a feminine shout.

Startled, Hongjoong unconsciously touches his mullet as he’s reminded by his dream.

 

---

 

“This is crazy.”

Yeojin walks back and forth in our small cabin. She bites her nail and mutters something under her breath. She stops and turns to me where I rest on my bed. “This is absolutely insane!”

“Yea...” I lost count how many times she told me since we got into our room.

After the sea witch attack, the pirates were baffled by the return memory. It was chaotic, especially when Hongjoong passed out. Seonghwa stepped up and calmed down the crew his way so they were able to function again. He told us to get back into our cabin as the others had to clean up the damage.

Since then Yeojin hadn’t shut . After she treated my wound on my face and wrist, I collapsed on my bed. Yet, I was unable to sleep because she kept shouting.

“You’re saying Wooyoung likes that aura girl! Even Yeosang!” She ruffles her hair, starting to walk back and forth again.

Because she didn’t understand why Ateez’s attitude suddenly changed toward Aurora, I explained to her about their past relationship. And apparently Yeojin freaks out.

“They regained their lost memories. So does that mean he’s gonna remember he likes her? Oh lord, even your captain Mullet!”

I ignore a jab at my heart and nod.

“What are you gonna do?!” Yeojin walks over to my bed. “No time for resting, you gotta go to captain mullet and take him back!” She forcefully pulls me up from the bed.

“Hey, I’m a sick girl. Let me sleep, I’m freaking tired. And plus Hongjoong might still be sleeping. I don’t think we should bother him. ” I look down to the cloth wrapping around my wrist to avoid a piercing gaze from Yeojin. “It’s not that I’m not worried about him, I’m scared to face him. What will he think of me after regaining his past memories?” I say in a small voice.

“That’s why I need you to be the first person to see him after he wakes up!” She yells and successfully pulls me up from my bed.

 

---

 

Yeojin gave me a piggy ride all the way to the quarter room. We spot the quartermaster leaning against the wall in front of the room.

“What’re you doing here?” Yeojing asks him while lowering me down to the floor.

“I should be the one asking you that.” Seonghwa scoffs at Yeojin, then his gaze falls on me. It could be my hallucination but his gaze is somewhat less hostile than usual.

“Captain is still sane. If you’re wondering.” He says to me, his voice is slightly less harsh.

“Um...” I nod, feeling weird because of his change in attitude. Seonghwa may feel strange as well as he quickly draws his glance away from me.

“Is he up?” Yeojin reaches for the doorknob but stops by Seonghwa. His face turns back into a scowl.

“Captain’s quarter isn’t a place you can go in without permission.”

“But the rule doesn’t apply to Princess, right?” She jerks her chin at me and pushes past Seonghwa to open the door.

Seonghwa rolls his eyes and mumbles something under his breath sounding like a curse. I follow Yeojin, but he grabs my elbow, appearing serious and awkward at the same time. “Captain, he-”

“Damn! We’re late.” Yeojin yells from inside the room.

Seonghwa curses once again, letting go of my arm and entering the room. I trail after him, feeling confused by his action.

Coming into the room, the first thing I see is Yeojin, hands on her hip, glares at Hongjoong and Aurora standing so close to each other in front of Hongjoong’s cabin door. They look like they’re in a serious conversation. Hongjoong’s eyes turn round as soon as he sees me, but I’m the one who looks away. Aurora peers at Hongjoong, then her sight travels to me. She frowns, pressing her lips together.

Did they make up already? I feel another jab in my heart.

“Err...I didn’t know you were with Aurora, I’ll come back later.” I say, signalling Yeojin to come with me.

“No!/Star!” Both Yeojin and Hongjoong shout at the same time.

I jolt and turn to Hongjoong, waiting for him to continue, yet he only stares at me. His hardened expression is difficult to decipher, or perhaps I refuse to read his emotion.

All eyes in the room focus on me. I look at Yeojin for help but she glares at me and mouths something like ‘talk to him’ at me.

But I’m too exhausted to deal with my failed love life at this moment. I want to go to sleep. So someone, please rescue me from this suffocation.

The door burst open with a high pitched yell reaching us before we’re able to see the voice's owner.

“Quartermaster!! Oh, Captain! you’re awake!” The purple haired first mate dashes into the room, excited. But when he sees Yeojin, Aurora and I, his smile instantly fades. He clears his throat and talks in a serious manner. “We found Jongho’s brother locked in his own cabin. He seems out of his mind, but we’ll try to get information out of his mouth.”

Hongjoong nods. Yet his eyes still fix on me.

“And Chris is still alive. Yeosang treated his wound. Err...” Wooyoung trailed off as Hongjoong’s face suddenly darkened.

“I’m the one ordering Yeosang to treat him. Chris might be useful for us to get information about the sea woman. I also want him dead as much as you. He’ll pay for what he did to us, but after we force information out of him.” Seonghwa replied to Hongjoong.

Hongjoong lets out a frustrated curse and advances toward a side table, grabbing a wine bottle. Aurora touches his arm and shakes her head. Hongjoong halts his action and gradually puts the bottle down.

I try to remain indifferent by looking elsewhere and meet with Wooyoung’s gaze. Wooyoung clicks his tongue and sighs. “And here,” He raises his voice to grab everyone's attention and lays three objects onto the table.

There’re torn yellow papers, a dagger and a necklace with sapphire blue water drop shape pendant.

“My necklace!” Aurora yelps and darts to grab it. She clutches it over her heart. “Thank you Wooyoung.” She smiles at him.

Wooyoung slightly stuns then he nods stiffly, but his gaze becomes softer looking at her. They hold each other's gaze until Yeojin walks between two of them.

“What are those things?” She asks, crossing her arms.

Wooyoung rolls his eyes and answers blandly. “The Wonderland map and crescent dagger.”

“The map is torn to pieces.” Seonghwa tries to rearrange the map, but some pieces are missing.

“We can still try.” Hongjoong says and grabs the crescent dagger. He doesn’t hesitate to cut his hand. Red blood drops onto the torn map. We wait for a while but nothing happen.

“It’s not working.” Hongjoong’s yellow slit eyes turn grim.

“Let me try.” Aurora holds her necklace up. She slowly turns around in a circle. We all stare at the pendant, hoping to see it light up when it points toward Wonderland direction. Until she turns a full circle, nothing happens.

“Why is it not working?” Aurora ponders dejectedly. “Then how’re we going to Wonderland?”

No one’s able to answer her. They’re lost on what to do.

Then one by one they start to look at me.

“Star.” Hongjoong calls my name and makes my skin jump. I understand right away what he’s trying to say.

“I understand. I’ll try to contact Seakeeper. But didn’t the squid woman say she can’t help us anymore?”

“If you can’t contact her then we are all dead for a second time. And it’ll be your first death.” Seonghwa gave me a mean remark.

I scrunch my nose at him and he smirks at me.

Okay, this is weird. WEIRD. Especially when he has two black fins by his ears.

“But the squid woman said she won’t let you guys die, but to live in monstrous form forever. So you guys won’t die, but Star and I will die instead!” Yeojin shouts and earns deadly glares from the pirates.

“Star, I don’t want to pressure you, but you’re our last hope.” Hongjoong says.

“Um, I’ll try to sleep a lot.” My chest weighs heavily as the responsibility is huge. Seakeeper came to my dream twice, so how am I going to contact her?

“Thank you.” He says, a corner of his mouth lifts up. I can’t help but let out a small smile. However, his smile doesn’t last long as he wears a hardened expression again.

“Well well, little Star you look pretty tired, let me take you back to your cabin and sleep.” Wooyoung drapes an arm over my shoulder and stares at my face. “Aish! How dare that hideous woman hit you. Now your beautiful face is ruined.”

He pats my head while I raise my brow at him, asking what he's trying to do through telepathy. He smiles at me innocently. I can feel the burning stare from Yeojin, the confusion stare from Aurora, and dead glare from Hongjoong. If he’s trying to make his past lovers jealous, I’m going to step on his foot. I look down and see his huge feet covered with grey scales and clawed nails. My heart clenches by the sight.

“Wooyoung, you come with me. We have a lot of things to do.” Hongjoong gives him a command with a sharp tone.

“Aye, captain.” Wooyoung responses, unenthusiastically. He lets go of my shoulder and winks at me.

“Joong.” Aurora calls Hongjoong when he’s preparing to leave.

“I’ll talk to you later.” He speaks to her a little too cold which Aurora turns pale. And it seems like he realizes his mistake, he softens his voice. “Go back to your cabin and rest. We’ll talk later.”

Aurora nods, clearly disappointed by his answer.

Then Hongjoong turns to me, “You’re still sick, take a rest. Don’t walk around by yourself. We’re inside the devil triangle, it’s not safe. That sea woman can come back anytime. And where’s San dagger? Always keep it by your side.”

“Umm.” I nod. My heart somewhat expands because he sounds concerned.

“I-” He opens his mouth but stops midway. Then he abruptly turned to his first mate. “Let’s go.” Hongjoong and Wooyoung then leave the room.

Yeojin walks over to me, and we prepare to leave as well.

“You were right all along,” Seonghwa says out of the blue. We all turn to him to see who he is talking to. And it turns out his sharp gaze fixates on me. “I need to apologize.”

His speech makes my mind go blank. I blink at him for a moment until he begins to show irritation.

“Er..um..okay.” I mutter incoherent words because my mind is blown away. Was he being possessed by a sea monster? Why does he change like a new person?

Yeojin, too, can’t hide her shock, dropping to the ground.

Seeing our reaction, his expression returns back to a scowl. “Don’t get a wrong idea, you’re still a nuisance.”

I grimace. He’s never changed. He crushed my hope in a millisecond. Yet, it felt jittery thinking that he apologized to me without being forced like last time. I can’t help but smile to and it makes him contort his face further.

Then my gaze falls onto another girl. She gloomily watches the closed door where Hongjoong just left. I didn’t know what happened between them before Yeojin barged inside the room. Hongjoong looked strangely cold toward her, even the other members looked rather heartbroken instead of being happy.

Could it be that they are in shame of hurting her? Both sides might haven’t talked it out with one another since the pirates have to get right into work. So the atmosphere is a bit tense between them.

“The one that you should apologize to is Aurora.” I told Seonghwa. I guess my role as mediator between Ateez and the female lead hasn’t finished.

“I forgive him.” Aurora blurts, looking at Seonghwa, “I forgive everyone of you.”

Seonghwa's eyes go wide. He looks utterly shocked and unable to respond to her.

“You don’t have to apologize to me. I’ve never been angry at you and could never be. I’m actually glad that you’re safe and you also remember me. That’s the greatest present I could ask for.” Tears well up in her eyes as she continues.

Seonghwa looks so conflicted. He lifts up his hand toward her face, but is afraid to brush her tears. Instead he rests it on her shoulder and taps softly to comfort her. Aurora begins to cry harder and hugs his waist.

Seonghwa visibly turns rigid, he slowly hugs her shoulder and pats her back. Although I know from the fiction that his character only shows a soft side in front of Aurora, I never imagined seeing the scene with my own eyes.

“No, I’m sorry for hurting you.” He finally apologized to her, making her sobbing harder.

I used to think I’d have the last laugh when he’s being guilty for hurting the female lead but now I can’t. I feel sorry toward all of them. It must be hard learning that they hurt the precious person who they protected with their lives in the past.

“Ugh, I can’t watch anymore. Let’s go.” Yeojin nudges my arm. I nod, thinking it’s better to leave them some privacy. We turn around to leave.

“Star, wait!” Aurora stops me. She sniffs her nose and pulls back from Seonghwa whose whole face and neck turn red.

“Can I talk to you?” She asks me.

 

---

 

Aurora sits on my bed together with me. Her eyes are swollen and her cheek that was hit by the sea witch turns purple, yet she looks radiate more than before as if her protagonist halo return to her. She glimpses at Yeojin who sits on her previous bed warily. Because the latter girl refused to leave me alone with Aurora and insisted on staying inside the cabin.

“About Joong.” Aurora finally starts speaking after fidgeting with her fingers for a while.

I inhale sharply. I know this is coming but I’m not ready to face it. If she says she wants her male lead back, what should I do?

“What you saw earlier, don’t misunderstand. We didn’t do anything. I was worried about him so I went to see him. But we haven't talked about anything. He didn’t mention anything about…” She hesitates. “About us, about our past. He must be so confused right now. So please give him time.”

I nod, staring at my laps. A part of me feels relieved.

“And whatever his decision is, I’ll respect it.” She continues

Hongjoong’s decision between the beautiful female lead and me? The thought jab at my heart. Although he used to promise me on this bed that he wouldn’t change his mind, will he be able to keep it since I kept on telling him that I’m leaving.

Right, since I’m leaving, I shouldn’t ruin the couple's relationship. Hongjoong and Aurora deserve a happy ending. I'm about to speak but interrupt by Yeojin.

The girl from the opposite bed snorts. “What are you going to do if he doesn’t choose you?”

Aurora presses her lip together and answers in a small voice. “I’ll accept that.”

“Whatever, don’t go after Wooyoung and Yeosang. Well, you can go to that rude quartermaster if you want.”

“Miss Yeojin, why would you say that? Seonghwa and I are friends.” Aurora knits her eyebrows.

Yeojin laughs sarcastically, “You know he likes you. You also know other guys like you. Don’t try to act inno-”

“Yeojin!” I cut off her sentences. “I have a headache, can you please get me some tea? And Aurora, sorry, I’m not feeling well right now. Maybe we can talk later?”

Aurora nods solemnly with her brow tied in a knot. “Take care, Star.” Then she turns to Yeojin. “Miss Yeojin, please know that the others and I are good friends. Please don’t get the wrong idea.” She gets up from my bed and exits the room.

Yeojin scrunches her nose at Aurora’s back and gets up from the bed to glare at me. “I really don’t understand you. Their relationship was from the past, yours is the present. You don’t have to feel guilty for loving Captain Mullet. Oh! And if Captain Mullet didn’t choose you, I’ma side with the squid woman and curse his entire bloodline.”

I laugh at her silliness. Why do I feel like Yeojin and I are the antagonist characters who’re gonna steal boys from the female lead’s harem.

 

---

 

Yeojin left the room not long after giving me a relationship advice session. I feel grateful toward her. Although we just knew each other, she always helped and supported me, even if she nagged me all the time. I'm starting to get fond of her.

The rest of the day, I passed out in my room. I was dead tired physically and mentally. Plus, I have a great responsibility to contact the Seakeeper.

Unfortunately, I didn’t dream.

When the light outside fades, I wake up as my stomach growls so loud I think there’s a monster in my room. I look at another bed, seeing it empty. Yeojin hasn’t returned back to the room.

Knowing that the pirates are busy, so instead of waiting for food to be served, I plan to go to the kitchen myself. I grab the lamp and make sure that San dagger is strapped to my belt. Then I leave the room.

The passageway is dark and quiet. I walk past several half human half monster crews. They greet me emotionlessly. It makes me scared thinking that these people will turn fully into monsters if I fail to contact Seakeeper. So I make a mental note to sleep harder.

When I reach the kitchen, the sound of laughter emerges from the room. I recognize the guys’ and Aurora’s voices. They sound like they’re having a happy reunion.

It’s good to hear that they finally made up. Yet, my legs refuse to step inside the room. I’m not sure that there’s a place left for me anymore. The female lead is back so the side character like me should step back to my original place.

Hence I turn around to go back to my cabin, but I walk into a hard surface.

“Why are you not going in?” The figure asks me. I raise my head to see the first mate’s scrutinizing gaze looking down at me.

“The seats are full and I’m not that hungry.” I made up an excuse.

Wooyoung clicks his tongue, observing me as if I’m a prisoner. “Because we regain memory, you think we’ll act like a stranger around you?” His question is like an arrow piercing my heart. He sure knows how to read people.

I shake my head, though I’m being caught.

Wooyoung exhales, “If the guys know how they will feel, what do you take our friendship for?”

Another blow to my heart. I pout at him.

“This is not so like you. Normally, you’re brave, blunt, shameless-”

“Stop stop, I’m not shameless. I’m a reserved person.” I protest.

“Silly Star.” Wooyoung chuckles, ruffling my hair. “We’re still the same. It’s like remembering what we dreamt last night. For some of us the reality is a bit hard to accept. But it has nothing to do with you. You’re still our friend, our rescuer. You did a lot for us more than you think.”

I bite my lower lip, trying not to smile. “Thanks, Wooyoung.”

“Do I get a kiss?” He leans his face closer and gives me a suggestive smirk.

I raise my fist and ask him. “Sure, where do you want to be kissed?”

He playfully clutches his heart. “Ouch, little Star. You hurt my poor heart again.”

I giggle and hit his chest, intentionally.

Suddenly, Wooyoung embraces me and pulls away in less than a second without saying anything. Then he takes the lamp from my hand and pulls me inside the kitchen.

“Shooting Star!!” Mingi yells and waves cheerfully at me “Sit with me!” He pushes Jongho away, the poor guy almost falls from the bench.

“Yah!! Stop pushing me with your eel arm!” Jongho yells, his voice piercing our ears. “Star, don’t sit next to him if you don’t wanna get zap.”

“What! You want Star’s ears to bleed because of your high pitched voice? Shooting Star has to sit with me!” Mingi retorts.

In the end I squeeze between Mingi and Jongho to end the war. On the opposite side, Wooyoung sits next to Aurora. He gives her a tense smile, and she smiles back at him. Her complexion looks better than this morning.

“Polaris, try this salted meat. We found it from the Royal Navy ship, there’s not much left so I save it for you.” Yunho walks to the table and sits next to Aurora, handing a plate and giving me a puppy smile.

“Thank you.” Two voices answered him.

Startle, Aurora and I look at each other. Yunho peers between us, his mouth forming into an O.

“Ah, I’m sorry..I...” He stutters guiltily. The table fell into awkward silence. The others glare at Yunho, making him sulks like a kicked puppy. Though Aurora maintains her smile, I can see a flash of pain across her eyes.

“Well, you gave Polaris to Aurora first, so you can call me Starfish if you want haha...” I joke to clear awkwardness but no one laughs with me. The guys have fallen expressions on their faces.

Fortunately, Yeosang and Yeojin come in to save the day. The blonde haired girl eyes Aurora who sits beside Wooyoung and gradually smirks.

“Star, I was panicked when I didn’t see you in the room, but Yeosang told me you were probably in the kitchen and he’s right. My brother really knows you well, he cares about you a lot. I’m so jealous.”

I subtly squint my eyes at her, sensing that she’s planning something. Yeosang shyly scratches his cheek, ignoring his sister and smiling at me.

Smiling back, I can’t help but stare at his cute blue nose.

“Starry, are you feeling better? I’m sorry I was quite occupied the whole day so I didn’t have a chance to see you.”

Before I’m able to answer him, the whole table erupts with shouts. “Starry!?”

“Woahh, hold on, when did you give her a pet name? Like why do all you have to imitate me-” Mingi’s sentence cuts off when Wooyoung ram a piece of meat into his mouth.

“Tsk tsk, Little Star, how many times you're gonna break my heart.” Wooyoung says while stealing salted meat that Yunho gave me into his mouth.

Yeojin frowns. Seeing my new friend's reaction, I kick Wooyoung's leg and regret it immediately because his leg is as hard as steel.

“Ouchh.” I cry while Wooyoung laughs loudly.

“I’m sorry. I’m full. I’ll return to my room.” Aurora suddenly gets up and leaves the table. The guys are confused by her actions but no one stops her. Once she exits the kitchen, they release their breath.

“Ahh, I messed up. She must be so sad.” Yunho groans, burying his face into his hands.

“It’s not your fault.” Jongho sighs. “I’m glad that we have our memories back but everything can’t return to the same. We changed and she’s also changed.”

“Yeah, this is so strange! Yesterday I hated her gut, then today I remember she was my best friend. I tried to act the same but it didn’t feel the same anymore.” Mingi whines.

“Right, your laugh sounded so forced.” Jongho adds.

“Aurora isn’t that type who holds grudges. We overcame difficulties together in the past. She’s still our friend. And I think she doesn’t want us to treat her any differently than before. It’ll get better soon...I guess.” Yeosang says, not sounding so confident.

The other nods in agreement. But a voice in my head tells me that I’m the reason why Aurora to leave.

While I lose in my thoughts, Yeojin sits in Aurora's previous seat which is next to Wooyoung. “I don’t think you guys should worry over a girl right now when you’re supposed to figure out how to get out of here alive as a human being.”

Her speech made the guy turn solemn. Yeosang snatches his sister’s arm and pulls her to another table while she’s protesting.

“C’mon eat, we have a lot of work to do.” Wooyoung says to his mates. We start eating in silence. The atmosphere is gloomy. The guys eat less than usual, even I also lost my appetite. After a short while, the pirates finish their dinner quickly as they have to return to work.

“Little Star, Sannie is probably starve inside our room, can you bring the food for him?” Wooyoung whispers to me when the others are leaving the kitchen.

“There’re cabin boys, why do you have to order princess? She’s also a patient.” Yeojin breaks into our conversation.

Wooyoung ignores her and places a tray into my hands. “No one dared to step inside the room, including me. So please do me a favor.” He pouts cutely.

“Okay,fine. I actually plan to visit him after eating.” The truth is I intended to visit San in the afternoon, but I slept in. What a bad friend I am.

Hearing my answer, his mouth stretches from ear to ear. “And you.” He talks to Yeojin. “Don’t go with her, if you still love your life.”

Yeojin shudders,  she's clearly scared of San. She looks at me worriedly and I smile to reassure her.

Then Wooyoung skips outside the kitchen and screams at Mingi. “Yah! Mingi, remember our bet. I think we gotta kiss captain and quartermaster.”

 

---

 

I knock on the door of San and Wooyoung's shared cabin on the opposite side of Seonghwa’s cabin. Hearing no movement inside the room, I decide to open it without permission. The room is dimly lit up by moonlight traveling through the window at the end of the room. There're two beds, one side is a mess and another side is clean.

A silhouette stands in the middle of the room. Light from an object reflects into my eyes, at the same time I see San raises a cutlass and lashes toward his monstrous arm.

“Nooooo!!!” I scream and pounce onto him.