Chapter 47 - Confrontation

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

[Trigger warning: violent, gore]

 

Foul stench contaminates the air of a tiny dark cell. Thick dried blood stains on the damp wooden wall and floor. A man lies motionless against the wall, hollow-cheeked, disheveled hair and torn cloth. A small movement on his chest indicates that he’s still alive.

A door of the brig suddenly opens, two figures stroll inside a suffocate space. The sound startled the man, he scrambles to his knees, but the chains on his ankles restrict him from lunging forward.

“Ye scoundrel! Ye said to let me go!” The man hiss, hoarse voice fills with rage, directing at a tall figure standing in the front of him.

“Well well, our agreement had yet been reached. I can’t let you go, can I?” The tall man says in such an arrogant tone, his icy blue gaze pierce at the pathetic prisoner on the dirty floor.

“I told ye all about the pirate king. Ye better keep ye word!” The prisoner sneers hatefully.

“I always keep my word. Once I get my hands on the wonderland map and the pirate king’s head, you’re free to go.” A cruel smirk plaster on his lips. Then a complicated expression flashing across his face. “And the ladies. You swear you saw them?”

“Those ?” The prisoner recalls the two beautiful women he saw on the Revenge. They look like a young maiden from noble families. They must be someone important to his captor as he sounds so desperate to find them.

Upon hearing the vulgarity, the captor lifts his leg and kicks at the prisoner's chest, causing him to stumble on the floor and spurts blood.

“Filthy pirate, if you don’t wanna lose your tongue then shut your filthy mouth!” He spats.

However, the pirate only laughs like a madman. A wheezing laugh sound gets on the nerve of the captor. He’s about to stomp his foot on the pirate but another figure bolts inside the cell.

“Commander, the Revenge is in sight, estimated to collide in 2 hours.”

Sickening smile displays on the commander's lips as he listens to his officer’s report. He has been hunting the pirate king for years but failed miserably to capture him. Years of resentment that pile up in his chest will unleash today.

“Jongbin, prepare all stations for battle.” He orders the lieutenant standing behind him.

“Yessir.” Jongbin responds and leaves the brig.

“Captain Silver, seems like your day has finally come.” He glances at Captain Silver whose eyes now shone with hatred.

Captain Silver looks at his severe wrists, handless. Pain from that day crawl back to his mind. He lost his ship, his entire crew, and both hands. The mighty captain Silver to a feeble prisoner of Royal Navy. His fate is worse than death due to that man. At this moment, he doesn’t care whether it’s him or the arrogant commander to cut off the pirate king’s head.

Revenge.

He only wants revenge!

 

---

 

 

“Captain, two ships to windward, heading directly toward our bow.”

Standing on the quarterdeck, Hongjoong listens to his crew report while looking through spyglass. The first ship is a ship-of-the-line third rate warship. Its size is way larger than the Revenge which means she carries more guns and men. However, that also means we’re faster. The other ship is a fifth rate frigate, slightly smaller than his ship. She sails ahead of the large battleship.

It seems like the Royal Navy came up with a new tactic to capture him. He chuckles at their futile attempt. No matter how hard they try, they’ll never be able to outsmart the master tactician like him.

Nevertheless, if it was in the past he’d be thrilled to battle the Royal navy, but the current situation is quite dire. They have one month left to lift the curse at Wonderland. He doesn't want to delay the quest any longer. Besides, the Revenge isn’t in the best condition for battle due to the Kraken’s attack; gun supplies shortage, low morale and fatigue crew.

Hongjoong peers at Seonghwa. The stoic man has his brow knit together. He probably has the same notion as him.

“Captain, I suggest we avoid the fight.” Seonghwa looks at Hongjoong. “We shouldn't delay our plan to Wonderland. Besides, we’re slightly at disadvantage. The ship-of-the-line may carry over 70 guns while the frigate possesses around 30 guns. And their men would be over 300.”

Hongjoong hums but doesn’t completely agree with Seonghwa. Instead, he peers at San on another side. The combatant certainly disagrees with the quartermaster. Dark aura emits from his body, somehow bloodlust in his eyes directs at Hongjoong. He quirks his brow at San but the latter guy just smirks and tears his gaze away.

Paying San no mind, Hongjoong turns to the navigator. “Yunho, how long will it take to Nassau if we change the course?”

“The fastest would be around 2 days, sir. But I’m afraid that the Royal Navy will catch up as they have a frigate. So I suggest we hide here,” Yunho points at an island on a map. “Once the coast is clear, we can continue our journey.”

“That’s too troublesome.” Hongjoong exhales, exasperated. Hiding is for a coward. He rather fight them and get to Nassau as fast as possible. Hiding will only buy time for the opponent to request more backup. Plus, the food supply is running out. The worst case is that they run out of food before reaching Nassau.

Oh wait, they can just plunder the Royal Navy. That colossal must carry enough supply for his crew to feast for three months.

“Prepare for the battle.” Hongjoong concludes. Seonghwa looks like he wants to want to protest but decide against it when seeing Hongjoong’s signature sly grin.

“Let’s give them quick and painful death!” And go see his little treasure. Hongjoong yells for his crew and says the last sentence in his mind.

The ruthless crew roar after him, echoing throughout the ship.

 

---

 

Wooyoung escorted me back to the room. He didn’t utter a word about the Royal Navy but I could see his bloodthirstiness through his expression.

“Ladies, please lock the door and restrain yourself from going outside the cabin. I’ll retrieve you once we finish the business with our old friends.” Wooyoung calmly states, leaning against the doorframe.

“What’s wrong?” Aurora straightens up, placing her book on a nightstand and turning to me.

“Er...” I’m at a loss of words. If I say the Royal Navy is coming after us, will she plan to escape again?

“Nothing to be worried about, my dear Aurora. As long as I’m here, I’ll protect you from bad guys.” Wooyoung smiles sweetly at her.

Aurora scrunches her face, turning away from Wooyoung. If she needs to be protected against someone, the first mate is certainly one of them.

He shrugs at Aurora’s reaction and turns to me. Out of blue, he reaches out, his thumb brushes my lips and he peers down at my red wrist, a teasing smirk appears. “Sorry, little Star. My mate kinda likes it rough. But he’s good, isn’t he?”

I process what he meant. Heat flares to my face once I understand his message.

Does he think San kissed me?!

“No. It wasn’t like that!” I shriek, swatting his hand away from my face.

Wooyoung giggles. “Sure sure. I can just go ask my mate.”

“No! Don’t!” I panic, grabbing his arm. San’s gonna murder me with San dagger. 

Wooyoung smirks wider, peering down at my hands that tightly grip his arm. I quickly retract my hands as if touching a hot stuff.

"If you say anything weird to him, I'll personally deliver you another bruise on your left eye." I whisper as I feel Aurora's curious gaze on us.

Wooyoung chuckles."Ohh, feisty little Star. Your threat is cute. I'll tell him to go rougher next time."

"Yahhhh!!!" I scream at him.

Ignoring my protest, he winks and shuts the door to my face.

Groaning in frustration, I turn to look at my long mirror. My face’s still flush, my lips are redder than usual and a little swollen. Wooyoung’s gonna spread a rumor and create another ruckus. In the end, I’ll be the person that gets in trouble.

I wanna fling myself into the sea.

“What happened? Why did he order us to stay inside the room?” Aurora asks, concerned.

“They spot a ship.” Turning away from the mirror, I sit down on my bed.

“A ship,” Aurora pauses, thinking. “Royal Navy?”

I reluctantly nod at her correct guess.

“Oh.” Her reaction is strangely calm.

“Are you trying to escape?” I hope she doesn’t plan that because we’ll get in endless trouble.

“Even if I want to, I can’t.” She mumbles quietly.

Her answer confused me. But I don’t dig further because she may change her mind and drag me to hell with her.

 

---

 

“Fire!!!” After the command, a row of cannons boom across the ship. Cannonballs penetrate into enemy ships.

The warship returns the cannon fire. They rip through the hull and bow. Wood Splinters fly in the air and screams fill the ship.

The powder monkeys run around, passing gunpowder to the gunner mates. Mingi posts at the gun deck, shouting a series of commands.

Three vessels exchange cannonballs for a short moment then the smaller frigate closes in and collides with the Revenge. Gangways are placed between two ships. The naval officers march into the Revenge.

Soon both sides crash into a bloody fight. Metal clank, some cut through victim bodies, blood spills, limps scatter, dead bodies pile up. The snipers get rid of the enemy from rigging while some throw grenades into another ship.

It's such a chaotic battle but a fighting style that the pirates hold the advantage. It won’t take a long time to decide the victor.

Hongjoong command on the quarter deck. He scans the ongoing fight with satisfaction. Then he focuses on the colossal yet to board his ship. She remains still at his Starboard side, 500 yards away. They’re on the losing side but why don't they take action? What’s that person planning?

Seonghwa fights on the main deck, repeating command after Hongjoong. He swiftly shoots the enemies while inspecting the overall situation.

Meanwhile wherever the devil passes, it turns into a bloodbath. Men fell like dead leaves. San disappears into the enemy’s ship. A moment later he comes back with a barely unconscious man across his shoulder. He dumps the man next to Seonghwa on the main deck. Seonghwa nods at San in acknowledgement. Then he yanks the captive up and shoots at the sky for 3 times.

The sound caught some officers’ attention around the area. It doesn’t take long for them to recognize their lieutenant commander in the pirates’ hand.

“Lower your weapon!” Seonghwa shouts, pointing his pistol at the captive's head.

The officers exchange panic glances among themselves. However, the small hesitation reveal an open for the pirates to knock them down.

The surviving Royal Navy are forced to get on their knees in a group.

Seeing that everything went smoothly, Seonghwa hit the back of the lieutenant commander’s head, causing him to lie unconsciously on the ground. San passes a book to Wooyoung. He takes it and waves to Hongjoong.

Hongjoong grins at the scene. It went well as always. Then he shifts his gaze toward the warship that draws nearer and pull up beside the Revenge.

He spots a tall figure who steps on a gangway to board his ship. The person glares at Hongjoong with the same animosity. He strides confidently, passing his hostile crew without fear. The horde of entourage tailing behind him. They stop at the main deck. His crew automatically encircle them. Both parties point their weapons at each other.

Hongjoong chuckles, humorless. Is this the plan that aims to capture him? What a child’s play. He descends down the stairs to the main deck, confronting his old friend. Seonghwa, San, Wooyoung and several of his crew stand behind him.

The ship has fallen dead silent but the intensity suffocates the air.

“It’s been a while, pirate king.” Breaking the silent, the commander says with a hint of mockery fills his tone.

“It’s been a while, lieutenant. Oh! my bad, you’ve become a commander.” Hongjoong mocks the man. “Nice ship you have there. How many innocence did you kill to obtain it?”

The commander’s face turns red in anger and embarrassment. He calms himself down and signals his lieutenant besides him.

“His majesty grants you lot a full pardon!” The brown haired lieutenant shouts, loud and clear.

Shock written on the crew’s face.

“But within these conditions. You’ll have to bring us the Wonderland map.”

Hongjoong’s brow quirk up at the news of them possessing the Wonderland map traveled to the Royal Navy’s ears. The flock of pirates are coming after them, now they have the Royal Navy after their tail.

Not good, we have to act faster.

“And leave the pirate king’s head for me.” The commander turns to speak, smirking at Hongjoong. The threat causes commotion among the crew. However, Hongjoong just stares coldly at the commander.

“And free the ladies that your immoral captain holds captive.”

Hongjoong harden his glare. How do they learn about Star and Aurora?

So that was why they fired less cannon although they possessed over 70 guns. And they aimed the cannon at the bow as they were afraid to hurt the girls.

“Surprise isn’t it?” The commander laughs after seeing Hongjoong’s expression. “Dead men tell no tale but you left one of your enemies alive, Captain Silver.”

Hongjoong hears Seonghwa snorts. That old sea dog isn’t dead. It’s a grave mistake to allow your enemy alive and they find a way to bite you back.

“Bring me the Wonderland map and the ladies and leave your pirate ship. Now!”

The crew glance among themselves. The offer is too good to be true. A full pardon can completely change their lives. All their past sins will vanish just like that. Nonetheless, no one moves.

Hongjoong roars in laughter. “Here, in the seven seas they are kings. Why would they want to become mere peasants?” He scans the crew. Those who waver duck their heads low, avoiding eye contact. “A pardon to poverty, enslave, starvation, and abuse? My men aren’t stupid enough to court death.”

Hongjoong may appear to have confidence in his crew but in reality the men's loyalty is rarely found in the pirate ship. He subtly threatens them with whoever decides to betray him.

And the commander knows this truth, that’s why he came up with the offer to let Hongjoong taste the betrayal.

“What are you hesitating for?! Bring me the ladies and the map! Or you all will end up in gallows!” The commander loses his cool, he furiously shouts at the crew.

“Aye, commander, you’re wasting our time. We’re heading to Wonderland, to get the things we desire.”

However, the commander doesn’t know the fact that the crew needs to lift the curse, leaving the ship means turning into sea monsters.

“Are you still following this man!? I’ll provide you incentive and a spot on my ship if you turn him in!”

Nevertheless, no one moves a muscle.

Hongjoong smirks when his crew stand frozen in their spots.

Little did he know, several crew members have a different thought.

 

---

 

The door of our cabin suddenly slam open. The lock comes off and falls on the ground.

Aurora and I scream in sheer fright. Three men rush inside our room. “Come with us!”

Without waiting for our response, they grab us, forcing us to go outside.

“To where?” I ask panicking. Why are they suddenly getting us? The fight seems to cease a while ago, but we were afraid to go outside and wait for Wooyoung to retrieve us.

“We’re helping you escape from the ship.” One of them speaks.

Aurora and I exchange confused glances.

“Why?” I ask them, but the silent is the answer.

 

We emerge to the main deck. I spot two parties facing each other. One side is Ateez. Hongjoong stands in the front of his crew. His posture and aura radiates like a real king.

On the opposite side, standing a group of white and blue uniforms which belong to the Royal Navy.

My eyes immediately draw to the man with the blue frock coat who’s standing in the front. He's tall, lean built. He has black hair and icy blue eyes. A handsome young man that can be a visual of idol groups. An air of arrogance surrounds him. Something nags me at the back of my head at how familiar he looks.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Gunshots startle me from my trance. The men that hold us drop dead on the floor.

Aurora and I scream in terror. Smoke comes out of Mingi’s pistol, he meets my eyes for a second then turns to point it at the blue eyed man. Then Wooyoung and San instantly get to us before the naval officers get to our side.

San firmly grips on my arm and yanks me to walk after him. “What’s going on?” I whisper, trying to control my shaky breath. He doesn’t answer me as usual. So I turn to Wooyoung who’s holding Aurora. But he doesn’t answer me either.

They usher us to stand behind Hongjoong. He spares a glance my way for a millisecond but that’s enough to make my heart skip a beat.

The merciless pirate Ateez are coming back. And they’re more terrifying than the last time.

My gaze meets with the blue eyed man again. His gaze shifts between Aurora and me. Shock, relief, glee, raw emotions flash across his face. Then he glares at the pirates.

“Get your filthy hands off my fiancée and sister!!!” He roars in pure rage, veins on his neck visible.

Fiancée and sister?

The crew’s head immediately snap at us. Bewilderment display on their expression.

San’s grip on my arms gets tighter, making me wince slightly. Wooyoung stares at Aurora, mouth ajar. Mingi drops his pistol but Jongho is able to catch it. Seonghwa scowls at me. And Hongjoong’s back turns rigid but he refuses to turn around to see me.

I avert my gaze to the blue eyed man. My jaw drops to the ground when I finally recognize him.

The person who I pray not to encounter. The archenemy of Ateez. The man who caused their death.

Don’t tell me he is....

“Chris...” Aurora whispers in shock. Her face has turned a shade paler.

Most importantly, he’s Aurora's fiancé.

 

Then that means his sister is….ME!?

 

 

☆.。.:*☆.。.:*☆.。.:*☆.。.:*☆.。.:*☆

 

Sorry for slow update. I was taking too much time to think how to unfold the scene. 

BTW...

Happy Birthday to our Jongho!! \(≧▽≦)/
His vocal is Atiny's pride. I'm like a proud mom every time I watch his performance.

 

See you guys next chapter (❤ω❤)