Chapter 17 - Port Royal II

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

*Trigger warning violence*

While chasing after the merchant, my left shoe falls off in the process.

Running on the ground that is full of pebbles and sand, my foot hurts but I don’t have time to care as my fate is in that merchant's hands.

“Stop!!” I scream at him, knowing wholeheartedly that he won’t stop.

Then he turns into a corner. I take a sharp turn and see him stand frozen looking at the wall before him.

To my luck, the alley is a dead end.

“Give me the map.” I say while panting heavily.

His panic expression turns into relief once he notices me alone.

“Which map? I have many of them if you’re interested.” He tries to act casually, thick lips stretch into a smile.

“You know what I meant, the Wonderland map.” I don’t feel it’s a good idea to follow him alone. This man seems to have many tricks up his sleeve.

“The Wonderland map...” He pauses, “Too bad, I already sold it to my client.”

No, he’s lying. I saw Aurora’s pendant glowed. That means the map is still with him; in that leather bag he’s clutching while running earlier until now. The map is so valuable that he carries it himself, not the guards.

“Don’t lie. I know it’s in that bag.”

The merchant laugh it off

“Miss, I only do trade with worthy clients. As for the Wonderland map, I doubt you can pay higher than my current client.” He smirks while padding on his leather bag.

I don’t think Ateez will agree to sit down and do business in civil way. They probably obtain it with brute force.

“I don’t do trade. I’m here to steal.” I shamelessly say, feeling badass for the first time of my life.

“Haha, what nonsensical thing are you saying.” He laughs but his eyes gleam dangerously.

I pick up a glass bottle lying nearby and point at him, “Hand the map to me when I’m still nice.” I borrow Ateez’s word.

“What a weak girl like you can do to harm me. Let me leave or else you’ll know the consequence.” He slowly put his hand in the pocket to grab a hilt of his dagger and point at me.

Oh .

I swallow my terror and stay firm on my ground like the weapon doesn't have an effect on me.

“Now I’m still being nice. Get outta my way.” The merchant voice fills with animosity. He waves his dagger in front of my face.

Not sure if this is bravery or stupidity, I throw the bottle to his head and it hit him square in the face.

Wow, I’m actually good at aiming.

The bottle shatters. He immediately grabs his now wounded face and he accidently lets go of his dagger as it falls to the ground.

I sprint to pick up the dagger in both of my shaky hands.

Blood ticking down from his wound, he growls in anger.

“Don’t come any closer and give me the map!” Adrenaline pumping through my body. I’ve never done something this reckless in my life.

But he’s striding closer and unexpectedly throws the bag at me. I lose focus trying to grab the bag as he uses that opportunity to twist my wrist. Dagger falls onto the ground while I scream in pain.

He catches the bag and tosses it another way. Before I run after it, he grabs my hair and slaps me across the face. The impact makes me stumble onto the ground.

White hot pain blooms on the half of my face. I could see black and white spots in my vision and my mouth tastes like an iron from blood seeping out.

Then he crouches down and yanks me up by my hair.

“You wench!” He slaps me again. Now my whole face is throbbing and numb. Tears begin to form in my eyes.

His eyes leer at me, “You are actually a pretty one, and those unique eyes color of yours. I can make money selling you in the slave market.”

Panic shot through me.

Is he intending to sell me?

If I suddenly disappear, I doubt Ateez would come to find me.

No matter what, I must win this fight.

“ off.” I curse and then spit in his face.

He wipes my saliva away from his face and is about to slap me again but I toss a sand that I sneakily gather in my hand to his eyes.

He cries out and lets go of me to grab his own eyes.

I kick him in the chest which causes him to fall on his . My legs shakily get up and run toward where the bag is lying. But my bare foot suddenly steps on a sharp object resulting in me falling down. I cry out of agony.

Then the man hovers above me. His hands grab hold of my throat, choking me.

I try to pry his strong grips but he adds more strength when he sees my resistance.

I open my mouth to in air but it’s no use.

I see the merchant angrily cursing at me but my auditory sense no longer receives any sound.

All I could hear is my own heart beating rapidly while my lungs gradually lack of air.

My vision starts to go black and my body feels weak.

Am I going to die pathetically here? So this might really be the end of this side character.

Suddenly, the man above me groans in pain and the heaviness of his body disappears as well as the tight grip on my neck.

I immediately gulp for air and uncontrollably coughing.

The corner of my eyes sees the shadow of my life savior kicking the merchant who’s crying in pain. And then I hear a horrifying sound of bone cracking and the man finally quiet down.

The shadow then picks up the leather bag that contains the map.

As he walks pass me, we make eye contact. Those dark cold eyes are void of emotion, sweeping over me and looking away.

Lying there helplessly, I watch as the man’s silhouette walks further away.

My whole body is numb, both from pain and shock.

I can’t move. This is the first time that I feel despair.

“S..San,” My voice comes out inaudible.

He doesn’t stop walking.

Is he going to abandon me here?

“San, help,” I use all my power to shout but it came out as soft as a faint breeze.

He continues a few steps then stops and turns back.

He bends down and roughly pulls me up to my feet which makes me squawk painfully.

“Thanks.” I thank him but he has no reaction as his dark eyes are staring on my wounded face.

I can’t help but peer at the merchant lying face down not far away. I shudder uncontrollably.

Although he beat me, I didn’t want this man to die or anything.

 

Out of blue, San lifts his hand to touch on the wound on my face.

“Ouch.” I cry out and hit his hand. But to my surprise his mouth tugs into a smirk.

“Jerk.” I say and quickly shut my mouth. But his smirk is getting wider.

Without uttering any word, San starts walking away, not waiting for me. I want to cry at his coldness and weirdness.

I limp after him.

 

Several footsteps approach our way, revealing bruised Mingi and Jongho.

“!” Both of them curse when they see my condition.

I must look real bad.

“Did you get the map?” Jongho asks, looking between me and San.

I nod, eyeing the bag that San carries.

Flash of relief crosses their faces.“We’ll notify the crew, you guys go back to the ship first.” Then they quickly scatter away.

 

Not far away, I see Yunho carry the unconscious Aurora on his back.

“Jongho knocked her out.” Yunho explains as I nod in acknowledgement. Remember that she tried to escape earlier.

“That was brave of you.” He uses his free hand to brush my tears.

His kindness made me break into ugly sob.

“I was so scared.” I say incoherently. Yunho softly pad my head.

“You’re safe now. ” His soft blue eyes show concern, “Can you walk back? Um, I can’t carry you though.”

Of course, he can’t carry me because Aurora is on his back. That left with another option.

We both look at San but he has already walked away.

I look at my bloody left foot and sigh. “I think I can manage.”

It would be nice if someone could carry me though, but that is wishful thinking.

 

The last ray of sunlight is gingerly engulfed by darkness.

That’s how I picture my life in this fiction going to be like from now on.

Full of darkness and suspense.

Then I wonder why I didn't transmigrate into romcom fiction instead.