Chapter 36

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yerin's pov]

I was set to enter the Forbidden City today with Yeeun and Yeji. Meryem recently has planned a time where she requested some of the highly ranked consorts to help tie scented pouches to her bedside as a way to wish a smooth delivery. I smiled as I looked at my outfit.

"Yerin Er'niang!"

I held out my hand as Yeeun skipped and jumped into my arms, the exact copy of Yerim.... she and Yeji often reminded me of Yerim and Yewon. I chuckle as Yeji runs behind her. Yeji has really grown up to be a fine lady.

"Yerin Er'niang!"

I smile as Yura and Yemin follow behind them before bendig their knees.

"Alright, we have to enter the palace today. Are you ready?"

"Er'niang... Yeeun has never been to the Forbidden City...."

I chuckle, "Don't be afraid. That's where you will see so many people who love you. Your Royal Great-grandmother, Royal Grandfather and also Great-aunt."

Yeeun smiles as I carry her. We then boarded the carriage before arriving at the Forbidden City. I carried Yeeun as Yeji walked by my side on her flower bowl shoes. Eunhee was leading Yemin and Yura as a train of servants joined them. I smiled as we arrived at the Bao Yue Pavilion.

"Greetings to Ci Gongju."

I smiled and nod as the servants kneeled and I walked over with Yeji and Yemin, in front of Royal Uncle.

"Greetings to Royal Uncle."

He waves his hand as I got up. The numerous concubines and children of the inner harem then lowered down on one knee except aunt Quan.

"Greetings to Ci Gongju."

I nod, "Rise."

The concubines got up as Royal Uncle looks at a familiar face.

"Is this Yeeun?"

I smiled and nod as Yeeun takes Yeji's hand.

"Royal Grandfather."

Yeji runs over with Yeeun as they greet him. Royal Uncle pats Yeeun's head.

"Royal Uncle, are we having a banquet later?"

He nods, "Yes, indeed. We will have a small banquet in the yard of the Bao Yue Pavilion after the tying of pouches are done."

I smile and nod as I went over to have a chat with aunt and Consort Yu. Daehyun and his Fujin, Aera were there too. Everyone was admiring the jade emerald stone that Royal Uncle gifted Consort Rong. Consort Rong then came out and I had a chat with her.

"Yerin..."

"Your Highness."

She smiles and I nod. Our plan is going commence. Soon it was nightfall and Consort Rong's servant, Arzu held onto some scented pouches as they come out. Royal Uncle smiles as he carrasses the stoimach of Consort Rong.

"This is your Royal Uncle's seventh child in a while... after Naeun, there was no more children."

I smile and nod, "Royal Uncle must be really excited."

Aunt Quan held my hand and smiled, "He is indeed really excited."

Consort Yu chuckles and then looks at me, "Right... Ci Gongju, I heard that you are looking for suitable daughter-in-laws for Taemin and Yeon?"

"Indeed I am."

"Have you managed to find any suitable ones?"

"I have yet to find any... besides, I want Taemin and Yeon to choose their own wives. They shouldn't be marrying because of what I ask of them. The both of them also mentioned they don't want any concubines so I shan't force them to marry any concubines then."

Consort Yu nods and chuckles.

Yeeun held my hand as I carried her.

"Yerin Er'niang, what are we waiting for?"

I smiled, "We have to wait for the Empress first before we can proceed."

Yeeun leans against my shoulder and smiles.

"Where's the Empress?" A new concubine, Concubine Ye questioned, 

"She might be avoiding coming to Bao Yue Pavilion." Another concubine chimed in.

I didn't say anything but smirked as I heard their conversations.

"At such an important event, the Empress is not present. Could she be trying to hide something?"

Royal Uncle just glanced at them, "Do not speak ill about the Empress."

Concubine Ye rolled her eyes secretly as Royal Uncle turns to Wumin.

"You go personally and ask the Empress to come."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Wumin then turns to a young eunuch who follows him. Royal Uncle sat down on a chair near the main entrance.

"Noble Consort Quan, take a seat."

A servant got a chair for aunt and placed it next to Royal Uncle as another servant got a tray of tea. Aunt took a seat as she sipped on her tea and then placed it on the tray. I placed Yeeun down as she stands next to aunt.

"Gongju," Eunhee whispered, "Her Highness looks exactly like the main wife of the Emperor."

"Hush." I smirked and then look at her, "But you're not wrong. Who else other than aunt can stand next to Royal Uncle... wait, just Chunyi Fujin is worthy. No one else."

"Zhu'er, you're not wrong."

I chuckled as Eunhee takes my hand.

"Her Highness, the Empress has arrived!"

Aunt held out her hand as Ruhua helped her up. The Empress then enters the Palace with her attendants behind as she walked forward with her entourage and bend her knees as her attendants kneeled. 

"Greetings to Your Majesty."

The concubines and imperial children then lowered down on one knee with the numerous servants as aunt and I bend our knees slightly.

"Greetings to the Empress."

The Empress nods, "Get up then."

I smiled as I held out my hand and helped aunt take a seat.

"I thought you wouldn't come."

The Empress smiles at Royal Uncle, "I came late because on the way here I was trying to pick up a gift for Consort Rong." She holds out her hand as her servant walks forward with the tray of gifts. A servant takes it as Consort Rong bends her knees.

"Thank you, Your Highness."

"No problem."

Aunt smiles and turns to Royal Uncle, "Your Majesty. Since the Empress is here, we should start..."

Royal Uncle nods as he clears his throat, "Alright."

Aunt stands up as Ruhua helps her up with Consort Yu, next to her. Arzu takes the tray as she approaches aunt.

"Your Highness, these talisman are precious and we as lowly servants are unable to touch them... we shan't follow you into the chamber in case we offend God."

Aunt nods, "Alright, then hand those to me."

Arzu nods and hands the tray with talisman to aunt as Consort Yu and aunt enter the chamber with the the Empress. Meryem then drinks a medicine before entering too.

[Inside the Chamber]

Consort Yu and Noble Consort Quan silently tie the talisman on the bed frame. These talisman act as a way to pray for Meryem's child. The Empress then comes in behind and also takes a pouch while Meryem does the same. Consort Yu and Noble Consort Quan then leave the chamber to wait near the entrance.

"Your Highness, I'd never expected that you would agree to help me do this."

The Empress smiles, "I am the head of the six palaces, if I do not do this. Who would?"

Consort Rong smiles, "I'm just not sure if the Heavens will accept your blessing to my child after all the evil deeds you have done."

"What are you talking about?"

"Your Highnesss should be aware. How did Ehmet die? How did Heshuo Huixin Gongju die? How did Gulun Heshuo Lijia Gongju agree to marry over to Joseon. Your Highness is aware of how you were able to reach this position."

"How dare you frame me?"

"Frame? Do you dare to swear on your life that you have never hurt anyone? You have never hurt Ehmet. Never conspired against Heshuo Huixin Gongju. Never convinced Gulun Heshuo Lijia Gongju to marry to Joseon. Never hurt Chunyi Fujin."

The Empress held her breath as she shakes in fear, "I should go."

Consort Rong grabs her hand and prevents her from leaving.

"No! You don't! Swear in front of the shrine! Swear that you have never ever hurt all these people! That your position as Empress was given over properly!"

The Empress then tries to release her grip as she struggles. With one tug, Consort Rong falls back and made a move to the shrine as she hits her stomach on the shrine.

"Ah-"

"My stomach-"

[Yerin's pov]

I smiled as I helped Royal Uncle refill tea.

"Royal Uncle, Her Highness seems to know how to do her role now. She even came out when she was sick to help Consort Rong pray."

"Indeed."

Just then everyone heard a sound of things dropping and a cry of pain.

"That sounds like Consort Rong..."

"What's wrong?"

Arzu then runs into the room as Royal Uncle and I, along with the other concubines follow. Aunt and Consort Yu prop Consort Rong up as Royal Uncle shakes Meryem who was unconsious.

"Meryem! Meryem!"

I turned to Jung Ho, "Quick! Quick! Call the physician!"

Royal Uncle also turns, "Call the Physician!"

Soon the entire Palace was in a frenzy as I looked at Eunhee. Royal Uncle and the Empress take a seat inside as I fanned Royal Uncle. Aunt was standing next to Consort Rong anxiously.

"Royal Uncle, relax... Consort Rong will be fine."

Physician Akarta Jila inserts a needle as Consort Rong wakes up.

"My child... My child."

Arzu walks over and kneels, "Your Majesty. Her Highness is awake."

Royal Uncle nods and walks over to Consort Rong as the other concubines also follow behind. Meryem's eyes were filled with tears.

"Your Majesty... my child.. is it-"

The Empress look at her, "Consort Rong, you will still have kids..."

Meryem then bursts into tears, "My child- my child."

The other concubines looked at the consort and forced some tears while aunt wipes her tears. Royal Uncle grips her hand and pats it.

"Meryem..."

"My child... Her Highness the Empress... why- my child.. why did you have to hurt him... my child... Your Majesty, the Empress had an argument with me and said I was disrspectful to her... then... then... she pushed me..."

Physician Akarta kneeled, "Your Majesty, there is indeed a sign of impact on Consort Rong's stomach which caused her to lose the child. Your Majesty has interacted with the child and seen it move before. If not for a huge impact, the child would not have been lost."

Meryem cries as she touches her flat tummy.

"My child... my child..."

Royal Uncle looks at the Empress, "At that point, only you and Consort Rong were in the chamber."

All the concubines in the room kneeled with their servants while I stood next to Consort Rong and wiped her tears. The Empress also kneels.

"Your Majesty..."

Royal Uncle looks at aunt and Consort Yu.

"Both of you were at the entrance, say... what happened?"

Consort Yu looks at Royal Uncle, "Both sister Quan and I were just standing at the entrance. We did hear them argue but about the process... we're not sure either."

Aunt nods, "Your Majesty knows how Meryem has been polite and courteous to the Empress all these while. Even when the Empress tried to forcefully remove her clothes she never once was rude other than when she struggled."

Royal Uncle looks at the Empress, "During that time, there was only the Empress and also Consort Rong. Who pushed who."

The Empress shakes her head, "Your Majesty. I did not!"

Meryem sobs, "Her Highness... pushed me out of anger and hatred that I stole all of Your Majesty's love. I dare not argue but... my child... my child is innocent."

"Your Majesty! I did not, this is a setup. I did not hurt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter