Chapter 26

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yerin's pov]

I woke up the next day as Eunhee dress me up. Eunhee and Jihu helped me get ready as I stand in front of the mirror while two other servants held two trays which had different dresses. I smile and picked a dress with plain colours decorated with butterflies. I decided to wear a three inch nail guard made from silver and decorated with some butterflies.

"Gongju."

Eunmi stands by the door and bends her knees as Jihu comes over with a tray filled with 5 dress tassels that I own on one side and some prayer beads on the other side which could be hung on the dress.

"What is it?"

"Gongju, Emperor Yoongi has entered the Qing Dynasty."

I stopped choosing my dress pendant and turned to Eunmi, "Are you sure?"

Eunmi nods, "Gongju, he has just entered the Forbidden City and is currently speaking with Emperor Junhui."

Jihu and Eunhee got worried, "Zhu'er..."

"What we tried to avoid could not be avoided at last. He will request to meet Yeon and Ilmin..."

I then pick up a flower dress tassel and held it up as Eunhee helps me secure it.

"All of you may go down."

"Yes, Gongju."

I held my hand out as Eunhee supports me while I walk over to my cushioned seats. I opened the drawers at the side and took out a box. I slide the cover off and took out a dress tassel. It was Yewon's butterfly dress tassel.

"Gongju."

"Well-"

"Yerin Er'niang!"

I turned as Yeon rushes in with Fulong.

"Junwang-"

"Eunmi, go down first."

Eunmi bends her knees before she leaves the chamber as Yeon kneels with Fulong.

"Greetings to Yerin Er'niang."

Yeon stood up in a rush as Fulong got up after him.

"Yerin Er'niang..."

I turn from the butterfly pendant and then back to Yeon, "Yeon, you came to look for me in a rush. Did you hear the news?"

He nods, "Yerin Er'niang.... this... I don't wish to see him."

"Yeon. Your Ah'ma would want to see you."

He frowns, "Yerin Er'niang. You know that he was the reason-"

I turn to Yeon, "Yeon. I guess Yerin Er'niang won't have to hide from you anymore. Yewon has a heart condition which she grew up with. She had a choice back then, to give up Yeji or to give up her life. She chose to give up her life in hopes you will protect Yeji."

"Yerin Er'niang..."

I nod, "Yeon, I know how you feel. I miss Yewon too but no matter how important you are to His Majesty. He will not overlook the political side of things over this and risk war with Joseon."

Yeon sighs, "Yerin Er'niang... I don't wish to see him."

"I have talked to Royal Uncle about this. The Emperor can only see you from afar. He will not come near you."

Yeon kneels with Fulong following him, "Thank you, Yerin Er'niang! I thank you-"

I got up quickly and helped him up, "Alright. Go for class. It's late now."

"Yes, Yerin Er'niang. I take my leave."

Yeon gets up and leaves my chamber with Fulong following him. I got up and watch his backview. I take the box with me as I walk to Yeji's chambers.

"Yeji."

[Yeji's pov]

Hello, my name is Min Yeji! I am currently 7 and already a big girl. Brother Yeon is currently 11 and brother Ilmin is 8. Many people look at me and those who know my Er'niang say I look like Er'niang. I am served by Yemin, she is a year younger than me and was chosen by Mammy Yeebin to serve me.

"Gege!"

I smile as Yemin follows me around the manor, "Yemin. Let's go to the garden!"

"Okay!"

I grab her hand as we run to the garden. I smile as I walk over to the flowers as butterflies come over towards me naturally.

"Yeji?"

Yemin lowers down on one knee while I bend my knees.

"Greetings to Yerin Er'niang."

"Yeji, come here. Yerin Er'niang has a gift for you."

I smile, "A gift?"

She nods as Mammy Eunhee comes forward with a box as Yerin Er'niang takes it. She slides it open and shows me a purple jade butterfly dress tassel.

"Butterfly!"

Yerin Er'niang smiles, "I once promised your Er'niang to give this to you when you can walk."

I pick up the tassel in my hand and touch the purple butterfly, "This belongs to Er'niang?"

"Yes it is. Your Er'niang gave this to me before she passed on, hoping to pass it to her daughter one day."

"Yerin Er'niang..."

Yerin Er'niang smiles and takes the pendnt as she helps me wear it onto my dress. I smile as the tassel flutters in the wind.

"Yeji likes it a lot.. it has the image of a butterfly yet the end where the tassel starts has some essence of green blossoms."

"Your Er'niang also said that when she got this from your Royal Grandfather."

I smile and nod as Yerin Er'niang gets up.

"Alright, go and play then."

Yerin Er'niang leaves and I lower myself on one knee with Yemin lowering too.

"I see you off, Er'niang."

I got up after Yerin Er'niang leaves and touch the tassel as I look down on the butterfly.

"Gege, you look so beautiful with it."

"Er'niang wore it... now it is my turn."

Yemin follows me as I stand before Er'niang's memorial pavilion that Yerin Er'niang build. I pushed the closed gates as I step beyond the gate with Yemin. The butterflies flutter as I spin. I smile as I hold out my hand as they fly around my hand. I step on the huge pebbles and walk to the seating pavilion in front of the main chamber. I look around and smile.

"Brother Yeon has never brought me here before..."

Yemin looks around, "Gege. It's about to rain soon."

I smile as we move inside and take shelter. I enter Er'niang's pavilion and see her potrait. I take off my shoes and smile as Yemin arranges our shoes. I remove my cape as Yemin hangs it on her elbow.

"Greetings to Er'niang."

I kneel down with Yemin before her potrait which was smiling at me. I look around the room, walking around the room and looking at Er'niang's books.

"Yemin. Help me change."

Yemin nods and helps take our my hanbok which Er'niang made for me before she left the world. Yerin Er'niang allowed us to come into the pavilion and wear our traditional clothes at any time within the pavilion or Kang Qinwang Manor. I smile as I look at my reflection in the mirror. I had butterfly images and my hair was done again. Yemin helped braid my hair as I wear Er'niang's butterfly pendant attached at the goreum of the hanbok. Yerin Er'niang taught me how to speak korean and also etiquette there. Brother Yeon and brother Ilmin often told me stories. I was excited to wear the outfit again.

"Gege, which pin do you want?"

I turn and took a butterfly hairpin and insert it near my ear. I smile as I stand up while Yemin also changes into the outfit of a Joseon servant. I smile and let her wear some simple accessories as we walk out the pavilion. I stopped in my tracks as I see a man as Yemin closes the door.

"This-"

I bow, "Greetings to you, Lord."

He seemed stunned.

[Yoongi's pov]

I was invited to the Kang Qinwang Manor and decided to look around. I walked over to an area were I could hear giggles. I decided to enter, pushing the door open as my eunuch Yu follows me. I was stunned.

"Your Majesty, this-"

"Lady Yerin must have rebuild Yewon's pavilion."

I looked around as memories flood back in my head.

Flashback (Adopted from Yewon's story, Legend of the Butterfly Pavilion. Chapter 13)

I watch as Yewon walk over and bowed with Yeon and the servants.

She smiled brightly, "My Lord."

I came forward and held Yewon's hand, the back of her hand with my thumb. We stared at each other deeply, smiling. I held her hand and lead me to her own carriage. Yewon helped Yeon in and we set off individually. We reached the palace and she stepped out of the carriage. I held Yewon's hand again and we walked hand in hand into the palace. 

"Yewon! I have refurnished your palace again."

When Yewon returned back to Joseon with Yeon. I decided to refurnish her pavilion during the time she was gone by using butterflies and green plum blossoms. The butterflies never left after I let them fly there... as if knowing something. I was standing in front of the entrance of the pavilion.

Yewon smiled brightly as butterflies flew around in the garden, "This.."

"I added butterflies into your garden and renamed your pavilion to 'Butterfly Pavilion', hopefully it will make you happy again.. Just like when we were young."

~End of Flashback~

I look around again and sighed. I recalled of the fire at Yeon's Pavilion. I was so worried that I would lose Yewon or Yeon again...

Flashback (Adopted from Chapter 15)

"My Lord.."

I smiled and held Yewon's hand, "I thought I'd lose you again."

She looks at me and smiled, "I promised you to protect Yeon."

"I'd chose you over anything.."

I kissed Yewon's hands and then our foreheads touched.

I smiled as I look around the area and nod, "At least Yeon and Ilmin have something...."

"Your Majesty?"

I then hear giggles, one similar to Yewon's. Yewon loved to laugh.... it has been so long since I heard her laugh. We did not see each other until the time she came and visited me while I was sickly.

Flashback

Yewon came by my bedside. I did not open my eyes but I could feel her presence. During that time, we had been seperated from each other for three years then.

"Your Majesty..."

She carrassed my head

"Your Majesty, it's been three years since we looked at each other. After Seungwan's death, we never saw each other again. I miss you, my childhood sweetheart. I look at Yeon and he is the exact copy of you, My Lord, how have you been?"

She connected her hand with mine. After a while, I felt my pulse getting stronger.

"Your Highness."

Yewon leaves my side and walks over, "It's been a while."

"Your Highness. I hope all has been well."

She did not answer, "Eunuch Yu... please take care of the Emperor. Don't let him get hurt."

"Yes, Your Highness."

I heard her shuffle out of my chamber and eunuch Yu came over to help me sit up on my bed as I coughed. From the gap of the door, I could see the back of her dress before it closed.

~End of Flashback~

I stood at the door as I imagined how Yewon used to run up to me when I visited. I smiled as I could feel her presence. Lady Yerin filled the garden with butterflies and green plum blossoms which Yewon loved. Just then the door opened and I was stunned. A girl came out skipping from the room in a hanbok. She looked exactly like Yewon.

"This-"

Her servant who was around her age, filled with confusion.

"Greetings to you, Lord."

"My Lord!"

"My Lord!"

"My Lord, how have you been?"

I looked at her, stunned. My eyes landed on her butterfly dress tassel.

"Yewon?"

The girl smiled and came down to bow and greet me. I could see Yewon's shadows as she rises up.

"My Lord, what brings you here?"

I looked at her image. It was exactly like Yewon when she was young. I needed answers.

"Who are you?"

She looks at me, "I am Min Yeji."

"Min?"

I lowered myself to look at her as her servant followed her down from the steps of the pavilion.

"Hello there."

She tilts her head, "Who are you, Lord? What brings you here to my Er'niang's pavilion?"

I struggled with manchurian and she seemed to notice me. She changes to korean.

"What brings you here to visit my Royal Mother? The Empress Ju."

"Mother? Wait-"

I looked at her, "Don't tell me... Yewon-"

[Yerin's pov]

I was waiting in my room for the presence of Emperor Yoongi. I frowned as he did not come as Eunmi said that someone saw Yeji enter Yewon's pavilion.

"Jung Ho. If Emperor Yoongi comes over, let him wait for me here. I will go over to Yewon's pavilion. Yeji must be there with Yemin now. I don't feel assured if she's there alone."

"Yes, Gongju."

I smiled as Eunhee supports my hand and elbow as Jihu follows us. I walk over to the pavilion and push the door open as I see Emperor Yoongi in civilian clothing.

"Oh no-"

Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter