Chapter 34

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yeon's pov]

Brother Taemin and I went to pay our respects for aunt Yerim. We kneeled as Fulong and Jung An lighted incense for us. I said a silent prayer. The last conversation between us floated in my mind. I got up.

"Yeon."

"Brother Taemin."

"Is something wrong?"

"I was just thinking of the last conversation I had with aunt Yerim."

Both of us walked out of the chamber as Fulong and Jung An followed us.

"Now, our priority is to uphold the promise we made with aunt Yerim... take care of Yunseok and Yeeun well."

"Right, let's go find them."

The both of us walked to the southern quarters where all our sleeping quarters, shared studies and archery practicing yard is. Nearby, is the area where the horse stables are for us to practice.

"Brother Taemin! Brother Yeon!"

We both turned as Yeji comes over, running with Taeun.

"Yeji, Taeun. Be careful."

"Brother Taemin, where are you guys going?"

Brother Taemin smiles, "We're going to find Taejoon, Yunseok and Yeeun. Wanna go?"

"Yes! Let's go together."

I smile and chuckle as Yeji and Taeun hold our hands as we walk into Yunseok and Yeeun's room. Yura and Yubi, aunt Yerim's maidservants were attending to them.

"Greetings to Shizi, Fu Junwang, He Gege, Hui Gege."

Yunseok was crying and Yubi had a hard time calming him down.

"I'll take care of him."

I walked over and took Yunseok from her as Yunseok relaxes in my arms while Yeji and Taeun go over to entertain Yeeun.

"Let's go for a walk in the garden."

I smiled as we walked to the garden's pavilion and sit down as Yeji fans Yunseok while Taeun wipes Yeeun's sweat. It was a humid day but it wasn't hot so the kids could come out.

"Sister Taebi!"

We turned as Taeun waves in a direction while Taebi and Ilmin run over.

"Brother Taemin, brother Yeon!"

I smiled as the two of them run over.

"Greetings to Hui Xianzhu and Gui Junwang."

The eunuchs bowed while the female servants bend their knees.

Taebi smiles as she took a seat next to me, "Get up, get up."

The servants got up as Kayo and Yoru stand with them while all of us chat.

"Brother Yeon... has aunt Yerim went to greet Er'niang? Is that why..."

I smiled and nod as Yeji asks.

"Brother Yeon..."

I pat her head, "Aunt Yerim told us to take care of Yunseok and Yeeun right? So we should uphold the promise right?"

"Yes, we should!"

I smile as Yunseok falls asleep in my arms.

"Fu Junwang, let Yubi bring A-ge down to rest."

"Sure, brother Taemin Yeeun must want to sleep too."

Brother Taemin nods as Yura and Yubi carries the two of them down as Yerin Er'niang's guards carry an umbrella over for them.

"Brother Yeon."

I smiled, "Alright, Yeji and Taeun should go and find aunt Yerim now. Brother Taemin and I have to guard aunt Yerim's memorial tablet tonight. You guys should go first."

Taebi nods, "I'll bring them back to change first."

"Alright."

Taebi leads the three of them down as brother Taemin stays with me.

"Yeon?"

I sighed, "Brother Yeon... I'll go and find Er'niang first. I'll see you at night."

He nods as we exchanged greetings before I left with Fulong.

"Junwang..."

I smiled, "Alright, let's go greet Er'niang."

"Yes."

I walked over to Er'niang's memorial pavilion and opened its gates. I looked around as I see plum blossom petals as I stepped in.

"Fulong."

"Yes, Junwang."

"Who is taking care of the memorial pavilion?"

Fulong smiles, "Kang Qinwang Fujin has appointed people who used to serve Her Majesty to clean the pavilion. They were Empress Ju's servants who followed her to Joseon. Head maids Hera and Hana."

"They used to serve Er'niang?"

"Yes."

I nod and smiled before entering the memorial pavilion while Fulong stands outside. I took off my shoes before walking in. As usual, Er'naing's potrait was in front with a memorial tablet. I often brought her favourite cakes, some jujube and yam cake for her to eat with some tea.

"Greetings to Er'niang."

I bend my right knee and touched my right fist on the floor before getting up and sitting on the cushion before her with some tea. I changed the tea in her cup first before I poured myself one.

"Er'niang... aunt Yerim just left the world, have you seen her? Did she tell you how I've grown up...? I also saw Ah'ma a few months ago. After this few months of mourning, we have to go to Joseon for a trip with Yerin Er'niang, brother Taemin, Taebi, Taeun and Taejoon. Ilmin and Yeji, Yeeun and Yunseok will also follow. Er'niang... I haven't had a chance to call you that in a while... How is Heaven like? Did you meet aunt Yerim there? Please help me tell her all of us will protect Yeeun and Yunseok. She has nothing to worry about."

Er'niang's potrait smiled at me and I smiled back at her.

"Er'niang, have you seen Yeji? She is well-loved by everyone... Er'niang, tell Lady Seungwan that Ilmin is growing up just fine and we are all well taken care of in Qing. Lady Yerin seems to neglect her children for us, she should be taking care of brother Taemin, Taebi, Taeun, Taejoon... but she is more focused on us and also now... aunt Yerim's children. I feel bad towards brother Taemin and Taeun sometimes... Taebi and Taejoon have their own Er'niang but brother Taemin and Taeun's Er'niang were took away from them because of us."

I took a sip of tea before I continued, "Er'niang... that is why I have to treat them better. I cannot forget how Yerin Er'niang took us in like her own and cared for us. She allowed us to do anything we wanted because of your final wish... to make us happy. She said she will take care of us until her last breath... now Yeeun and Yunseok will be another group to think of. So I ask Er'niang watch over her... your sister Yerin. She upholded your promise and took care of us so well. Er'niang, can you help her? I promise I will teach Ilmin and Yeji well so we will not burden her as much..."

I recalled the moments when I first came to Joseon and fell sick with Ilmin. Yerin Er'niang told brother Taemin who was 8 at that time that she has to share her love for him with us. Even when Taeun was just born, she was worried about Yeji who wasn't feeling well and left Taeun with a trusted nanny instead... all these years, I am guilty because if not for wanting to take care of us in order for Er'niang to leave properly, she would not have to go through so much problems.

"Er'niang. now I am the second oldest in the Kang Qinwang Manor, I should start to help brother Taemin out and take care of the siblings. Brother Taemin is really close with me, Khun and Kyet too. It's really fun to be around them... Everyone is kind, Hoya and Junho are also great companions. Er'niang, Yeji, Harim and Eunki get along well together. She's really close with Taeun in the manor. As for Ilmin, he is extremely close to brother Taemin and Kyet. Anyway, it's really fun here."

I took a sip of tea before enjoying a moment of silence with Er'niang. I know she understands what I wish to convey. I sigh as I look out and can see it getting dark. I got up and did a final bow before I got up and wore my shoes before opening the door. Outside, I could see two female maidservants who were waiting with Fulong. Fulong bends his right knee and touches his right fist on the floor quickly.

"Fu Junwang."

I nod as I came out as the two female servants looked at each other before kneeling.

"Greetings to Shizi!"

"This... you are...?"

"We are servants of Gulun Heshuo Lijia Gongju since young. It's an honour to meet you."

"Servant Hana."

"And Servant Hera."

"Greetings to Shizi!"

I smile, "You have been serving Er'niang since young... I should address you as Madam."
(A/N: Maidservants who have a higher experiences are called '姑姑‘ but that translate to aunt in Chinese and it's really not what I want to convey. So I just say Madam instead.)

"No... Shizi, that's not the rules."

"Er'niang said we should treat everyone the same and since you are Er'niang's servants. You are naturally an elder figure to me."

"Shizi, you are too polite. How are you..?"

I smile, "I'm good, Thank you for taking care of Er'niang here. I will bring Ilmin and Yeji here to greet you guys some day."

"Could they be... A-ge and Gege?"

"Yes, they are Er'niang's children. Yerin Er'niang is taking care of us well..."

One of them nod, "Ci Gongju has always been a close confidant of Jia Gongju, when she needed help Ci Gongju would always help her and they were close like sisters. Jia Gongju would leave her children to Ci Gongju because she knows they will take care of them well."

I smile and nod, "Indeed... these years, Yerin Er'niang has spilt her love for her own children for us instead. If not for Ah'ma, Er'niang would not leave.. Yerin Er'niang would not be so tired too."

"We are also relieved... Ci Gongju will take care of you guys well."

"Indeed."

Madam Hera smiles, "Alright, it's getting late."

Fulong bows, "Yes, Madam."

I smile and nod before walking out of Er'niang's memorial pavilion. I walk back to my room which was next to brother Taemin and sister Taebi's room. Yunseok and Yeeun stay below us with Yeji, Taeun and Taejoon. Ilmin slept next to sister Taebi's room.

"Brother Yeon..."

Yeji rubbed her eyes as she yawned. I carried her in my arms and pat her to sleep. I tugged Yeji into bed as Yeebin comes and bends her knees. She brought in a cup of milk.

"Shizi."

I nod, "Take care of Yeji well."

"Yes."

I leave the room as brother Taemin and Taebi were outside, sitting at the loft with some food.

"Yeon, you haven't ate yet. Come, join us."

Fulong helps grab a paiur of chopsticks and a bowl as Taebi opens the hotpot.

"We should eat quickly. We have to go and guard aunt Yerim's memorial Tablet later."

Brother Taemin smiles and eats first before Taebi and I picked up our chopsticks after him.

[Taemin's pov]

"After this month of mourning, I will be leaving for the borders to join Ah'ma."

Taebi looks up, "That soon?"

I nod, "Taebi, it may be difficult on you... but you will have to take care of all the younger ones."

Yeon sighs, "I put Yeji and Ilmin in your care too..."

Taebi smiles, "Brother Yeon, what are you saying? It is normal that I will look out for all of them."

"I know and that's why I'm not worried."

I sigh, "It's only been a while since aunt Yerim left the world... now Er'niang is alone because Ah'ma will leave for the borders in a month.. taking care of children isn't easy but I know that Ilmin will be able to help out. Also we have to look out for Harim, Hoya, Junho and Eunki too. Since uncle Hoseok and uncle Jungkook will also leave them."

Taebi sighs, "Going to the borders... I remember Ah'ma was there for months at a time, and prehaps even years."

I nod, "Indeed... which is why it is important for us to be mature like how Er'niang was with Lady Yewon and Lady Yerim."

Yeon looked at me, "Did you often hear stories of Er'niang...?"

"Oh... right-" I smiled awkwardly, "Well... aunt Yewon was here when I grew up so I remembered her from my childhood."

Yeon was born in Qing Dynasty after aunt Yewon left Joseon secretly. Aunt Yewon only stayed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter