Chapter 22

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yerin's pov]

I sat on my cushioned seats and stare out the night sky. My hand reached out for my side drawer and took out a box. I smiled and looked at the item inside. In it was Yewon's purple jade butterfly pendant which she wore all her life. It was a token of love given by Emperor Yoongi while they were young. I smiled.

"Gongju?"

I placed the pendant back in the box and looked at it.

"Gongju, you haven't opened the box ever since you stopped wearing that pendant after Lijia Gongju's mourning was over. Why take it out now?"

"I promised Yewon I will pass the pendant to her daughter. Yeji is three now. In a few months, she will be four. It is time for her to wear this pendant and remember Yewon. Even more since Emperor Yoongi will be entering Qing Dynasty. Royal Uncle will certainly not make things difficult for him for both countries business to go on smoothly. However, I have to let him remember Yewon somehow. The truth of Yeji will also be revealed."

Eunhee fans me and nods, "Gongju.... but-"

"Yeji is a gift from Yewon. She reminds me of Yewon when she was young. Yewon loved food and dance. Yeji also loves the plum blossoms grown in the garden and also butterflies. She would chase after those butterflies and have fun."

I closed my eyes and sighed as a tear drops.

"Gongju..."

Eunhee takes out a handkerchief and wipes my tear.

"Eunhee..."

"Yes, Gongju. Eunhee is here."

I sighed, "Do you think I have been doing a good job?"

"Gongju, Eunhee sees it all. I can see that you worked harder than anyone to make sure all the children in the manor are well taken care of. That the Minatozaki Clan and the Park Clan are well taken care of. You even run the Flower Cloud Pavilion to watch over the politics in Qing to protect our secrets. You never made them suffer or neglected any one of them."

"Eunhee, help grab my embroidery table."

"Yes, Gongju."

She bends her knees and moves out an embroidery stand with a huge cloth on it. I was making a picture of cranes in the sky with clouds and mountains. I changed into a long sleeved top and bottom with flat shoes. I took off my accessories except the purple jade bracelet Taehyung gave me. I took a seat before the embroidery cloth and pick up a thread from the small table beside. I picked up a thread and passed it through the needle. I tied a knot on the long thread as I passed the needle from the bottom. The needle passed through the structure forming the clouds that surround the mountains.

"Sister Yerin?"

I looked up to see Eunha and Eunji before me as Eunhee bend her knees while Eunji bends her knees lower than Eunhee.

"Eunha? Is something wrong?"

She smiles and enters the room, "I can't sleep..."

I chuckle and stand up from the stool as I grab my handkerchief to wipe the sweat off my hands.

"Sister, were you making something?"

I smile, "Just a little gift."

Eunha nods, "Sister, are you alright?"

"I am. Just these days, when I look at Yeji. It reminds me of Yewon."

She sees the box and turns to me before smiling, "Was that why you took out the purple jade butterfly?"

I smile as Jihu serves tea in for both of us.

"You are observant."

"Sister..."

"Eunha, I am planning to pass the pendant back to Yeji now. After all, it is Yewon's wishes for me to pass on the pendant to Yeji."

She nods, "How would you do that?"

I smile, "For Yeji's next birthday... I will hand this to her."

"I'm sure if Yeji can wear something that belongs to Lady Yewon, it will remind her of Lady Yewon. Surely, Lady Yewon's legacy will pass on to her."

"Eunha. How is your preparation?"

She throws her handkerchief out and hides her cheeks behind it slightly as I chuckle.

"Are you that excited?"

"Sister Yerin, don't tease me."

I smile and took a sip of tea, "Eunha, help me watch after Yerim and make sure she rests well. I will be entering the palace tomorrow."

She stands up and lowers on one knee with Eunji following her.

"I take my leave."

"Rest well."

Eunha nods and leaves my chamber. I hold out my hand which Eunhee took as I walk over to my bed chamber. I took a seat as Eunhee helps me massage my legs while I use a jade roller on my face.

"Eunhee, do you think that Yeon, Ilmin and Yeji will grow up fine?"

"Zhu'er. You keep asking this question but you have never force any of the children in the manor to do things against their wishes even if you could."

"Yewon's wish was for her children to be happy. She did not want them to do things against their will. Tomorrow's trip to the palace will be a tough one."

"What is it Gongju?"

"Royal Uncle might want to arrange a marriage for Yeon, Taemin, Ilmin and Taebi."

"Gongju worked hard."

I sighed, "I will have to convince Royal Uncle...."

"Zhu'er, just sleep well today."

I nod and then laid down as Eunhee brings the bed veil down. I closed my eyes and slept as Eunhee sits by my bed to watch over me.

The Next Day

"Gongju? Are you awake?"

I sat up my bed and stretched. Eunhee tied up the bed veil.

"Gongju is awake! Help her get ready."

Two servants entered the room and helped me wash up. I dipped my hands in the basin of water, wetting it before using a cloth to wipe my face. The other servant held her tray before me as I took the cup and gargled before I spit out the water into a vase. The two servants went down as I walk over to my vanity as Eunhee came over.

Jihu enters the room, "Gongju, Junjun is here."

I smiled, "Send her in then."

Eunha entered the room as Eunji followed her and bends her knees.

"Sister Yerin!"

"Eunha, you're here early."

She smiles, "I wanted to come and help sister get ready."

I twirled my locks as Eunhee handed my comb over to Eunha which she took. Eunha combed my hair as I looked at our reflection in the mirror.

"Eunha, you are getting married soon. You shouldn't have to do this anymore."

"Sister Yerin, Eunha has served you ever since young. I can't bear to leave you."

I smiled, "Eunha, I wanted you to be happy nothing else. You always took care of me, if you met someone you like I will grant you marriage same goes to Eunhee and Eunji."

Eunhee and Eunji bend their knees, "Fu'ren..."

"There is something that Yewon said right. This life is short, we should be with someone we love. She did it with Emperor Yoongi. Till her death, she surrounded herself with the people she loved."

Eunha helps me bun up my hair and insert a hairstick in to hold my bun. I smiled and hooked on earrings and turned my bracelet. I picked up a flower pin and inserted it into my bun. I stood up and changed into my flower bowl shoes.  Eunhee helps me into my dress and kneels down to adjust my dress. I wore a coat as Jihu brings a tray with my prayer bead. I smiled as I felt the cool material against my fingers.

"Eunha, let's eat together."

"Sure sister."

I smiled as we walked to the table set up at the entrance of my manor.

"Sister Yerin!"

Yerim skips into the my chamber with Yura.

"Sister Yerin!"

I smiled as she sat down while Eunhee hands her a bowl and chopsticks too. I look at the food placed before us. Some side dishes mainly made of vegetables, century egg with tofu, porridge along with vegtables. There was also a pot of pork hotpot in the middle.

"Yerim, you came for the food?"

"Sister Yerin, Yerim misses you which is why I came here."

I smiled and tap her head, "Alright. Let's eat."

Eunhee helps me scoop porridge while Eunji serves Eunha and Yura helps Yerim grab some side dishes with their serving chopsticks before she scoops porridge. Eunhee scoops some tofu and century egg for me. I smiled and ate as Yerim helps grab some pork slices from the hotpot for me.

"Sister, are you entering the palace today?"

"Yes I am."

"But... I heard a Mongolian Tribe wants to send their Crown Prince over to study."

I nod, "The tribe might want to choose a Crown Princess in the mean time to establish a relationship to prevent war between the Tribe and also the Great Qing."

Eunha looks at me, "Who would go then?"

"I doubt that Royal Uncle would want Naeun to marry over. Within the palace, there are no other princess other than Taeun, Yeji and Taebi in our manor. There is also Harim from brother and Eunbi... There are only these two families. Daehyun and his Fujin have yet to gain any children...."

"Sister, then it might mean either Harim or Taebi will be the next choice."

I nod as the three of us finish our food.

Jung Ho enters the room, "Gongju. The carriage is ready."

"Alright, let the kids wait for me at the entrance."

"Yes, Fu'ren."

Yerim smiles, "Sister, have fun."

Eunhee hands me a napkin and I wiped my mouth with it before throwing it on the table. The three of us walked out with the servants following us. Jihu and two other servants cleaned up as I walked out. Yerim linked arms with me as we walked to the entrance.

"Greetings to Fu'ren."

I smiled as all the children were waiting outside.

"Rise."

They straightened up as the servants got up from kneeling. The boys had to travel to the palace every two days for lessons and the girls would greet the Empress Dowager and Empress or the Emperor if Royal Uncle had time.

"See you then sister Yerin!"

Yerim links arms with Eunha as they walk out the manor towards the market with Eunji and Yura following.

"Fu'ren. We're ready."

We got on the carriage and arrived at the Forbidden City. I came down the carriage with Eunhee supporting me down. I watched and made sure all of the children came down properly.

"Greetings to Ci Gongju."

I smiled and nod as a guard let us pass. I led the children as we walk towards the Inner Harem with the servants following behind. Jung Ho and Eunhee stood beside me while Eunmi, Kayo, Fulong, Jung An, Yoru and Yeebin stood behind in rows of two.

"Er'niang."

"Alright, go for your class."

Taemin, Ilmin and Yeon bowed with their eunuchs.

"I take my leave."

I nod as I watch them walk off towards the Southern Three Halls for their lessons with the other young princes. Within the few years there were other additions like Daemin Beile, Daehwi Beile. Royal Uncle hasn't had any other princesses other than Naeun. Taebi then walks off to find Naeun who is her study mate. I smiled as Yeji and Taerun wave to greet them off.

"Alright, let us go then. We'll greet the Empress Dowager and Emperor first."

I smiled as Yeji and Taeun hold each other's hands while they skip together. I held my hand out which Eunhee took. With my other free hand, I held onto my prayer beads and fondled it through my fingers as I walked towards the Palace of Eternal Longevity where Royal Grandmother stayed. We stepped over the gates and entered the entrance as Zuo bends her knees to greet us. I lower myself back as Zuo bends her knees.

"Greetings to Ci Gongju. The Empress Dowager is waiting for you inside with His Majesty."

I smiled and nod as we followed Zuo in. We went to the inner seating area where Royal Grandmother and Royal Uncle were. They sat next to each other as they talked. Both of them turned to me as I entered with Taeun and Yeji. The servants kneeled behind us, touching their foreheads on the ground. I lowered myself on one knee as Taeun and Yeji kneeled.

"Greetings to Your Majesty."

Royal Uncle smiles, "Yerin, Yeji and Taeun. Quickly rise!"

I smiled and got up with the girls as the servants got up behind me and helped the girls up.

"Yerin, take a seat."

"Thank you, Royal Grandmother."

A servant grabbed a stool for me and I took a seat.

Royal Grandmother reached out her hand as the three girls walked over.

"Sweet girls. How have you been?"

Taeun smiles, "Royal Great-grandmother, I was studying with sister Taebi and sister Harim."

Royal Grandmother nods, "Great sweetie. What about Yeji?"

Yeji smiles, "Royal Great-grandmother, Yeji recently learned some martial art skills. Brother Yeon taught me the sword and I practiced well."

Royal Grandmother stunned a little and sniffles, "Right sweetie. Now then, go and have fun then."

I turned to Eunmi, "Bring the girls to the Imperial Garden."

Eunmi bends her knees with Kayo and Yeebin, "Yes Fu'ren."

We sat in silence as the three girls left the room. I held onto my prayer beads as Royal Grandmother sighs.

"Yeji... that child is so much like Yewon.. Yewon used to love using her sword."

"Royal Grandmother, Yeji is exactly like Yewon. She loved everything Yewon loved. When she first stood up, she chased after the butterflies and butterflies seemed to like her as well. She seems to treasure green plum blossoms as Yewon did."

Royal Uncle and Royal Grandmother kept mum before Royal Uncle spoke.

"Yerin, you must have heard that recently a Mongolian Tribe is sending their Crown Prince over for education in exchange for a marriage. They wish to source for a Crown Princess."

"Royal Uncle, I do not mind anyone being picked. However, I wish that they would choose themselves instead of getting a decreed written for them. Just like Gulun Heshuo Lijia Gongju wished for, for us to marry or wed to someone we love."

"Yerin, you know that was what caused Yewon to leave this world."

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter