Chapter 26

Baby Maybe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

The day went by rather busily for Irene, but she cannot help but be bombarded by thoughts of the party and the pros and cons of taking Seulgi with her. She is leaning more towards going alone because she does not want others to know about Seulgi’s condition. Seulgi might be a little mature than what she initially was months ago, but she is still not that prepared to encounter business people from Irene’s league. It’s not that she is ashamed of Seulgi or anything. She just doesn’t want any of them to talk especially if the receiving end of those talks and gossip would be her innocent wife. But the Charlton’s are known to be art enthusiasts and the matriarch happens to be a huge fan of her wife’s works. Bringing Seulgi would raise the possibility of getting that deal for her. Irene found herself torn between thinking about Seulgi’s welfare and ensuring a greater future for their company. She finished her work earlier than intended and went home but the issue is still bugging her mind. But as soon as Seulgi’s face came into view, her worries vanish in a flash

 

 

Throughout dinner, Seulgi noticed how her wife is a little quieter than usual. Irene tries to appear her usual cheery self but she noticed her wife, staring off a distance more frequently than usual and would heave a sigh every now and then. The younger just let her wife be for now but made a mental note of knowing what is bugging her wife’s mind and doing whatever she can to help.

 

 

So as soon as Irene lied down on the bed after her nightly routine, Seulgi immediately s her arms on the older’s waist. She saw how Irene smiled and did the same. The younger then stared at her wife’s clear orbs before asking her questions away.

 

 

“How was work today?” She initially started.

 

 

“It was the same as usual, a lot of meetings here and there and still mountains of papers to sign and review.”  Irene tried to answer nonchalantly trying to hide what was bugging her mind.

 

 

“Did anything bad happened?” The older’s eyebrows furrowed upon the sudden question.

 

 

“Nope, nothing bad happened. What made you ask that?” her voice went up a little but her heart calmed down once she heard Seulgi’s answer.

 

 

“I just noticed that you space out a bit during dinner and I heard about a hundred sigh from then on until now. So I’m sure there must be something there. I know you Hyun Bun and don’t you try to lie to me on this. I will ask Solar Unnie if I have to.” She just smiles and pecks Seulgi’s lips to stop her from rambling even more.

 

 

“Okay, but before I told you what is bugging me, I want to hear your opinion about something first.  Say what can you say about those corporate parties that wealthy business owners go to.” Irene decided not to tell Seulgi about her precadiment directly because she is sure that Seulgi would agree to go with her in a heartbeat if she knows that it will help Irene in a way. So she tried a more discreet way to know if her wife would be comfortable going into the party.

 

 

“Oh, the one that I see on tv. Well for starters, I might not know who will be there so I might just be in a corner and would not mingle with any of them. Then I don’t have any clue about business or a lot of things happening in the country in general so I can’t really engage in conversations with them. So I think I’d rather not go to any of those boring parties because I feel that I will just be left out.” Seulgi said honestly which made Irene nod in understanding.

 

 

“So, now that I answered your question, I want to know what is bugging you and no more intermissions now okay.” Irene smiled at her wife’s forced display of dominance.

 

 

“I just need to go to a boring corporate party two weeks from now and I am just stressing because I will be meeting a lot of important people there. It’s been so long since I’ve been to any parties so I’m just worried that I might, you know, screw up, I guess. And I don’t want to leave you here alone. I mean I don’t want you to sleep without me beside you but I also don’t want you to wait for me because I might come home very late.” Irene almost smacked her face at her lousy excuse and hoped that Seulgi would buy it.

 

 

“Are you sure that it was just it?” A nod answered her before she felt Seulgi relaxes in her embrace.

 

 

“You are Irene Kang. Those people can just hope that they are in your shoes. Successful companies, socialite and one of the elites. You are living the life that those people can just hope to live. But the best thing about you is being married to a hot, talented and such handsome wife like me. I mean they can be rich and powerful but I am one-of-a-kind so you are lucky.” Irene just chuckles at her wife's obvious attempt to make her feel better.

 

 

“Hot, talented, and handsome… so true but I guess you forgot conceited.” She earned a playful slap on her shoulders but soon the two are laughing their hearts out. 

 

 

“And don’t worry about me. I am a grown-up woman who can take care of herself. Besides its just one night right? I’ve slept a lot of nights alone when we were in that stupid cool-off stage back in the resort so I’ll be fine. Even though it will heartbreaking to know that I will not have my wife in my arms when I sleep, I will endure for the both of us.” Seulgi then dramatically placed her hand on her chest which earned another slap on the shoulder from Irene.

 

 

“Don’t be such a drama queen. It will be just one night. And I will make sure to get the deal for the hottest, most talented, most handsome, most understanding, caring, and loving wife in the world.”  Irene rolled her eyes causing Seulgi to laugh out loud for a minute before becoming serious again.

 

 

“But seriously Hyun Bun, don’t fret about such things. I am sure you can nail this. But if ever the deal is not approved, then it’s their loss for missing out on the opportunity to work with such an amazing woman. And my arms are always open to comfort you and make you feel better so it’s a win-win situation for you. It’s either you get that deal or you can get the once in a lifetime chance to avail my million-dollar hug and comfort.” This successfully made Irene smile as she finally reached a decision.

 

I will not take Seulgi to that party. I will not use her and risk embarrassing her for the sake of the company. This is not yet the right time to make her appear in public.

 

 

 

She then captured her wife’s lips in a fervent kiss and turned into something more as two shared a passionate night before they went to bed in the wee hours of the morning.

 

 

A few days later

 

 

A loud booming voice disrupted the rather peaceful world of Kang Seulgi one afternoon.

 

 

“Welcome back to meeee…” Seulgi who was busy watching a movie almost fell from her seat when she heard a very familiar voice shouting excitedly at the top of her lungs. The door of her game room opened with a loud bang and the small built of Kim Yeri came into view.

 

 

“I miss you my bestfriend, Ddeulgi” Even before she can at least acknowledge the younger’s presence, the small body was thrown into hers causing them to fall on the floor with a thud.

 

 

“Ohhh God my back…” Seulgi swore that she cannot make love with her wife later at night because of the impact of the fall.

 

 

“Oops sorry not sorry… That’s what you get for going on a vacation for two weeks and coming back during my exams. Did you know that I was so bored during that time? How could you do this to your best friend? After everything that we’ve been through? How could you betray me like this?” Seulgi almost wants to laugh out loud because of the girl’s overdramatic statement but she just played the game that her so-called “bestfriend” is playing.

 

 

“Is that so, then I guess I don’t have to buy any gifts for you because I already made up for my mistake of not bringing you with us during our vacation. Too bad I was feeling quite generous because I am in the final stages of selling a few of Sluggie’s paintings so I can easily earn a lot. I was even in the mood to buy her an expensive console or gadget as a token of my appreciation for everything she did for me. But I guess I saved money which I can use to buy other things for someone else.” The previous pouting kid suddenly sported a bright smile but as realization dawned on her, it transformed into a frown instead.

 

 

“Nooo. Ddeulgi you know I was just kidding, right? I never meant to hurt you. I was just excited to see you again.” The little girl even went down on her knees to prove her sincerity. Seulgi just chuckles before giving in.

 

 

“Alright alright. After a few meetups finally, me and Ms. Soojung will meet the day after tomorrow to finalize the sale. I guess we can drop by the mall at that time so we can buy your gift. You can choose whatever console or gadget you like then.” And Seulgi’s heart swells once she saw her friend beaming with happiness. For her, it’s the least she can do in return to all of the things that Yeri and her aunt did for her and her wife. A simple token of her appreciation and gratitude.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter