Chapter 3

Baby Maybe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene gave a tired sigh as she unloaded her luggage from the trunk of her car. It's been three weeks since she went to New York to attend some business conference as well as to conduct some business presentations to some prospective clients while supervising the planned expansion of their chain of hotels. She has been so busy that she turned off her personal phone and did not check her personal emails. She just landed an hour ago and she is sporting a mild headache at this point. It’s night time so she wanted to get home immediately and collapse in her warm and fluffy bed. She also decided to take the day off tomorrow just so she can rest before being bombarded and flooded with work again. 

 

She arrived at the front of the house and she told the men carrying her luggage to just bring it up near the door of their room. She went to the door and have her biometrics scanned. It gives her a soft click before the door opened. She pushed the door softly expecting the house to be enveloped in stark silence but as soon as she did, she is welcomed by their maids busily tidying up a bunch of toys and mopping up the floors.

 

"What the heck happened in here? And where is that wife of mine." She said in shock. She did not mean it to be rude-sounding but her fatigue and exhaustion got the better of her. The sound of her voice made everyone froze in shock and before anyone can even made a sound, a pair of excited feet made some thumping sound getting nearer to where everyone is. Then her wife, Seulgi came to view wearing a bear pajamas with a huge smile on her face approached Irene giving her a 90° bow.

 

"Hello Aunty Bae. what are you doing in our house?" she asked politely which made Irene eyed her in complete awe, like she just sprout another head.

 

"What are you saying Kang Seulgi? “Irene gave a loud outburst that startled the poor girl.

 

 

“I’m sorry Aunty Bae, I did not mean to make you mad.” Seulgi jutted down her lip while her eyes gave a downcast look while tears are now threatening to fall from them.

 

“Why are you calling me Aunty Bae, I am definitely not my Mom. I am Irene remember? “Irene is trying to keep her temper in check but Seulgi is really being difficult at the moment.

 

“You are joking right Aunty. Unnie is just a few inches taller than me and definitely younger than you so it’s impossible that you are her. Maybe 20 years in the future since you two have similar facial features but definitely not at the moment.” Seulgi answered in a childish but matter of sure tone.

“What kind of childish game are you playing now?” By now, the vein on Irene’s neck is popping out due to extreme frustration at her wife. She is so exhausted and here is Seulgi getting on her nerves as soon as she set foot at their house.

 

"Oh you want to play a game? Why didn’t you say so? Is it hide and seek? Okay I'll hide now." Her wife said in glee but before she can run and hide, Irene beat her into it. The older woman shouted at the top of her lungs as her patience already snapped like a twig stepped on by a deer.

 

"How old are you again to do these kinds of things?" She said exasperatedly.

 

But she did not expect Seulgi's answer.

 

"I'm 8." And Seulgi smiled making her eyes formed into crescents while Irene can just stare at her with wide eyes.

 

She would’ve exploded and threw a fit at the sickly game that her wife is playing if not the untimely arrival of Seulgi’s secretary as well as her own. Wendy immediately crouched down in front of Seulgi which made her wife smile even wider. It gave that unpleasant thug in her chest but she chose to ignore it like what she always does.

 

“Wendy Unnie.” Seulgi said, her sickening smile still plastered on her face.

 

“Seulgi why don’t know go to the kitchen first and ask that Maid Auntie to give you some snacks. Me and the other adults need to talk about something.” Seulgi just nodded her head eagerly and walked towards the direction of the kitchen waving eagerly at the girl.

 

Now, Wendy turned her attention to Irene, her face void of the previous enthusiasm and is now filled with an air of seriousness.

 

“I know you are confused Mrs. Kang. I am sure your secretary have an idea by now since she must’ve already read the messages I sent her from three weeks ago. Can we go to your office or anywhere private so I can fully explain to you what happened?” Irene just nodded and soon anxiousness started creeping into her. The problem or whatever it is seems to be more serious than what she initially thought.

 

Joy lead them to her home office since she often asked her to pick some documents in here whenever she can’t. The three of them are now sitting in her couch with Wendy and Joy situated in front of her.

 

“Can the two of you tell me what is going on?”

 

 

She saw how Wendy Son, took a deep breath first before looking in her eyes and speak.

 

“Ms. Seulgi was in an accident three weeks ago. She was driving in the estate the night you two flew abroad for your business trip Ms. Irene. According to the CCTV footage we got, she evaded a stray cat in the road causing her to lose control of her bike and collided in the huge tree not far from the side of the road. It happened around midnight and she was found by the guard in charge that night after about fifteen minutes. She was taken by ambulance into the nearest hospital which is thankfully owned by her friend Ms. Jisoo Kim. She went into an emergency surgery and was comatose for about two weeks. When she woke up, the doctors found out that she developed a type of retrograde amnesia. From what they concluded, she only has memories from when she was 8 years-old and any recollections after that are completely wiped out. It’s as if she reverts back to being her 8-year-old self. That explains her behavior earlier. The doctors cannot really tell if her condition will be temporary or permanent. They said that they cannot really tell as of this moment.   

 

We stayed in the hospital for a few more days after she woke up and we just got home earlier this morning. During those times I bribed and made sure that her accident will be off the records and papz wouldn’t get a whiff of this like hungry dogs that they are. It was also fortunate that the owner is her friend so she assured me that no one will know about the incident and her nurses and doctors will shut their mouth off. Also, she is still not aware of her parents’ passing and the fact that she is married to you. I feel that I am not in the position to fully explain to her all of those details. Right now in her mind, you are her best friend and she is here for a sleepover.” Wendy said which made Irene gasp and teary. She and Seulgi have been at odds but she never would’ wanted this to happen to anyone especially Seulgi. She composed herself first and decided to mask what she is feeling.

 

“First of all. Thank you for looking out for her and handling the situation very well. If the public knows about her condition, then it might also create a massive uproar and can affect the company. It can also pose a huge security threat for her. Because of this, you will be directly under me for the meantime. In place of her I will be your immediate boss. I want you to cancel all of Seulgi’s appointments and postpone her scheduled exhibit. Monitor and make sure that this invident will stay hidden from the media and paparazzi. Contact our existing security agency and employ additional guards for Seulgi whenever she is out. Joy, arrange my schedule and arrange my appointments by importance. I will go through it with you tomorrow and arrange those that need my attention and presence while we wi cancel those that are less important. That’s all for now. You should rest for now and I will just get back at you tomorrow. Ask my driver to take the both of you home. I will take it from here now. “She said with finality and the two bowed at her before leaving her office.

 

As soon as the two are out of sight, Irene closed her eyes and her hand automatically went to her chest, trying to ease that ache she is feeling since learning what happened. She did not understand what she is feeling actually. She just heaves a deep sigh and composed herself- wiped the fresh tears that escaped her eyes. She then puts on her mask of indifference and went o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter