Chapter 1

Baby Maybe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was a solemn night in some but at the heart of Seoul, in the function room of one of the top hotels in the city to be exact, the most successful businessmen are gathered together for one of the most talked about and anticipated events in the corporate world is happening. Clad in expensive dresses and top of the line suits, most of them carrying a glass half-full of the finest champagne on the land, each one of them are waiting for the arrival of the most gossiped abut couple. The couple who not are not only on top of their game in the business world but also envied by many others for their superb relationship both as corporate leaders and as relationship icons- given their very successful and seemingly perfect married life.   

 

As if on cue, the coupe in question, walked in the banquet hall. The shorter of the two, Irene Bae or rather Irene Kang (since three years ago) is sporting a black and gold sequin dress paired up with a pair of black wedged heels with matching log socks. She also flaunted her beauty by tying her hair into a high ponytail and chose to wear a one piece of silver hoop earring and tied a black and silver lace on her neck as a choker to complete her look. One of her hands is holding a black clutch bag while her other arm is s into her wife's right arm.

 

Walking beside her with an arm on her waist for support, Seulgi Kang looks cool and dashing with her black turtleneck covered up with a back blazer and a back ants and shoes to complete her badass vibe. The two are led to their own seats at the front of the stage and the people swoon when Seulgi, pulled out a chair for her wife and waited for her to settle in before sitting on her own assigned seat beside the older. The two are exchanging pleasantries with the other guests who are approaching them one by one, when the other ladies' eyes almost turned into hearts when Seulgi took off her coat and draped it over her wife's shoulder and just gave a small smile after and Irene giving her one of her own signature million-dollar smile in return. It is expected that the couple will be in the headlines of all of the magazines and newspapers the next day.

 

The event lasted for about three hours, and most of the businessmen are satisfied with either landing some business ventures of their own, creating partnerships and mostly just grazing at the legendary business couple who rarely appeared at these kinds of event but would truly not disappoint once they did.

 

On the other hand, in one of the cars, the couple who was just the talk of the town a few minutes ago are sitting in stark silence. Irene is at the right side busy looking at countless of emails from her phone while Seulgi is on the opposite side and quietly leaning at the window, staring at the millions of lights passed by their car. Once all the people are gone, this is the normal scene of the two. Behind the public's scrutinizing eyes, the two barely talked or even acknowledge each other's presence. Because unlike what the public has known, Irene and Seulgi never married out of love. They were forcefully united in matrimony.

 

Arranged marriage.

 

It happened three years ago. Seulgi was in France finishing up her Master's Degree in Arts when a devastating news forced her to go back to Korea. the private plane of Mr. and Mrs. Yunho Bae crashed. Six people were dead including the owners, her own parents and the two pilots. Reports say that a flock of birds passed through the side of the plane and one of these feathered creature got stuck at the side engine causing to explode. The pilots lost control and the plane eventually plummet down the mountain nearby. None of the passengers survived including the Baes and the Kangs. A joint funeral was held headed by Seulgi and the Bae's successor Irene. The two barely even acknowledge each other and most people believed that it was due to the two grieving at the loss of their parents. The remains are buried and when the time that the last will and testament of both the departed are due to be read, Irene and Seulgi both found out that their parents merged their own companies and almost nearing its completion. They stated that in order for the pending projects to push through, Seulgi and Irene must tie the knot so Kang Corp. and Bae Industries can be consolidated into one conglomerate. That is one of the conditions stated before a multi-million project can be pushed through. Despite their previous hostilities to each other, Irene Bae and Kang Seulgi agreed to the merger as well as the matrimonial union. They acted like a happy couple in front of others but in reality they are just two people forced to live together for the sake of their parent's wishes and the flourishing of their companies.

 

"We're here." Seulgi's musing were interrupted by Irene's flat tone. The older one, got out of the car and tiredly opened the door of their mansion. Seulgi followed. Then the two went to the room on the left hallway of the house. Irene, being the one in front opened the door and come inside with Seulgi in pursuit. To the world outside, Irene and Seulgi are sharing this one room. But unknown to majority of them, there is two separate doors inside that very room. One door will lead to Irene's bedroom while the other will lead to Seulgi's.

 

Yes, the two of them sleep in separate rooms.

 

Irene went inside her room without any words and Seulgi did the same. No words said, not even a single glance from either of the for the other. In short, it’s as if no one cared towards either of them.

 

***

Seulgi woke up feeling heavy. It’s not the first time that she did, in fact she was like this each and everyday. She glanced into her tiny alarm clock at her bedside table and just sigh when she found out that it’s already 9 o’clock. She overslept which means that she is cannot do her morning jog anymore. She just stretched her limbs, creating a popping sound once she moved her joints which can make anyone who hear it cringe. Then she went to her walk-in closet, choosing some comfortable clothes as she planned to just be in her studio since she will just finish a panting that she will include in her exhibit next month. She took a quick shower and went out of her room once done.

Stark silence welcomed her as soon as she stepped foot the living room. It is not that new since Seulgi knows that her wife Irene already left to go to the office a few hours earlier. It is not that shocking and to be honest Seulgi is already used to it.

 

“Good morning Mistress Kang.” One of their maids greeted her and she just gave a small nod in acceptance. The other maids then started preparing her breakfast which she silently ate at their dining table. It took he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter