TSR: Chapter 6

Through Strawberries and Raspberries
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The flare of light from my desktop screen was uncomfortably bright, it's starting to make me feel dizzy. I've been staring for way too long, why? I could not move on from the last scene I wrote. I know I cannot force ideas to come in so I write more, but for now that was my only option. I need to finish the first episodes upon Mrs. Lim's request.

After fighting with myself to continue writing, I realized that I'm not good in this state. I'm tired and drained, trying to deal with my creativity block. I feel like I'm just wasting time creating a bigger headache than doing actual work. I closed my notepad which had most of my draft plot in ugly scribbles, I'm so drained.

I stood up from my work station, in attempt to wake up my brain a bit and also to have a tiny little break. "I'm getting coffee and some fresh air for a while. Mrs. Lim, want anything downstairs?" I asked the lady who sat cross legged, reading a pile of papers and would occasionally shift back to her screen. "Nothing really, but could you get me ice from the fridge instead?" She pointed at our small fridge in the corner of the room.

"Sure."

I scanned the inside of the fridge and looks pathetically empty. We usually have emergency sandwiches, fresh smoothies and fruits in the fridge but right now it looked sad. What kind of fridge has only ice in it? Ah, I can just buy some stuff to stock in from downstairs.

I grabbed the ice bag and placed the contents from the ice tray into the bag. Sealing it closed, I placed the ice pack over my team manager's head who looked awfully stressed. "Are you good, Mrs. Lim?"

"Thanks." She thanked before letting out a long sigh. "Writer Bong, the ratings for one of our series has dropped drastically this week. It's giving me a headache." With eyes shut, she took the ice pack and positioned it better over her head.

My dilemma is just a speck of a dust compared to Mrs. Lim's. I shouldn't make a big deal of what I was stressing over. 

"I'll be back in five minutes. I won't be long." I informed her.

"Yes please. Don't forget you have episodes to finish up and I'm gonna contact the production company next week to inquire what props to prepare for the shooting. Not pressuring you but I also am."

Uhm, Mrs. Lim are you hearing yourself? 

I feel like I sounded so rude with my mental reaction. The stress is changing my mood, really. Mrs. Lim could have just said that she's pressuring me already, I wouldn't mind you being straight forward.

"There would still be a lot of meetings and brainstorming to be done before we execute the plans though. That will take us about..." She paused calculating the duration with her fingers in the air. "3-4 months? Roughly. Until everything is prepared. But might as well present them a few episodes done so they know what to expect and to provide us with the proper budget." She cheered me up, "You get what I mean right?"

Yes, there's still a lot to prepare on. Before the casting of the actors, there's still the studio to fix, costumes to prepare, find a company to partner up that will do the computer graphics, since it's a sci-fictional series, and a lot more. When I say a lot, there is a lot more. Phew, this is my first project and I certainly feel the burden already. It's nice to be the official scriptwriter but without a partner or a co-writer, I'm basically doing the job all alone and this is draining. I knew that it wasn't going to be a walk in a park but this so much harder that I expected. I wanna be able to share the credit with someone or should I say pressure. Credits for hard work comes with pressure, you get what I mean. And right now, I need that certain someone in my life. I can't work alone like this. This will be the end of me. Deadline? Yes, it's my life on the line. Bye.

I have worked on other projects too, but you see I have never been the main scriptwriter.

I glanced at my watch so I'd budget my time right in getting my coffee, it was late in the afternoon now. "A few more hours left before we leave work. Just hang in there for a bit more Miseo." I cheered myself on.

As I entered the coffee shop, I ordered an iced coffee to cool myself down. I told the barista that I'll be back for my order. To not waste time, I went out of the cafe then entered the diner beside it - the same one that me and Jongin last visited, to buy emergency sandwiches to fill our poor hungry fridge. We usually don't run out of the sandwiches that quickly, but I guess the tension in the office is eating our energy up.

Would Mrs. Lim allow me to hire someone in the company? Since Minji left, there should be an available slot for a new employee, right? Honestly, I'm in desperate need of a partner for this project. Not for selfish desires but as we look on the generous side, it's beneficial for the company too. In that way, it would be easier to meet the deadlines on time as we share pressure equally as co-workers, there would be more man power, wouldn't that be nice?

Lucky for me, the diner had no queue. So, I went straight to the person at the counter and greeted her before placing my order. She then asked me to wait in the corner for my take out. How polite of her. I thought. The person in the counter looked new. Just to kick the dead air out, I started a light conversion while waiting for the sandwiches.

"Are you new here?"

The girl looked at me. "Oh yes, I'm guessing you're a regular. You noticed right away."

"I work at a company across the street, I come here from time to time. You can consider me as a regular customer." I read her name on the tag pinned on the left side of her uniform: 'Lily S.'

"You have a cute name there. Nice to meet you Lily." I smiled.

"Thank you ma'am. Just a random fact, I love roses tho not lilies." Lily jested.

"Oh," I chuckled with her statement. "don't call me ma'am. Miseo will do." She looks so sweet and harmless, such a warm girl. Lily's soft features are so welcoming, it feels like the stress I had from work just now lessened with her innocent demeanor. I observed her as she packed the sandwiches to go in the paper bag.

"Here's your order Miseo." Passing the bag of food to me, she added. "Hope to see you again."

"You too."

After getting both my coffee and the sandwiches, I walked my way back to the company with both hands full. Upon reaching the office, I stacked the sandwiches in the fridge first. Now that looks more like a functional fridge. I went to Mrs. Lim's table to suggest hiring a new employee.

"But we are already seven in the department, including you. Don't you think that's enough man power?" Mrs. Lim repli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter