TSR: Chapter 4

Through Strawberries and Raspberries
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flashback.

"Mommy, it's Jongin's 18th birthday next week. What should I give him?" I asked my mom while we we're grocery shopping.

She picked up some carrots, "Oh yeah, I didn't notice how fast time flies." Mom chuckled. "It's your gift, why are you asking me?"

I bit my lips as I helped mom in choosing the veggies. "I don't know. I'm running out of ideas." That's a reason but I also don't know what would be appropriate as a gift for a guy turning 18. Since the 18th birthday is one of the most awaited ones, I want to make it extra special for him. Ugh, but honestly ever since I realized that I liked him, it's been really hard to think of a gift that doesn't look like a confession and also I wouldn't want it to look like I'm not putting any effort to it.

 

As we got home, I helped mom in arranging the groceries we bought then I rushed to my dad who was busy in his study table.

I sat on their bed that was beside the study table, waiting for the right time to speak. I let my presence known by clearing my throat but he didn't seem to notice so I called him.

"Dad,"

I heard him hum in reply. "may I talk to you?"

He raised his head to shift his attention from the papers he had then to me. "Darling you sound serious haha. Is it urgent?"

"Uhm not really, but it won't buy that much time. Is it okay?"

"Let me hear about my little girl's concern." Dad's voice sounded tender and his posture indicated attentiveness.

I asked him the same question I asked my mom back in the store but dad's reaction kind of threw me off.

"Oh why the question, darling? You always got him a gift every year. How come you're suddenly pondering so hard about it?" I was about to give out the same reason but dad cut me off.

"Or is it because, you like Jongin?" Dad wriggled his brows at me.

I did a face palm trying to show him that his statement was absurd and also to hid my flustered reaction. Was I obvious to him? I tried my best to mask the fact that my dad exactly knew what I was afraid of hearing and said. "Come on dad, we're best friends." I slid my hand down my face.

Dad laughed and ruffled my hair, "Aw Miseo my girl. You're so cute, you should know that not only 'moms knows best' but dads do too."

I whined telling my dad not to tease me and that I only see him as a friend. Making the best lies I could to mask my feelings. I crossed my arms at him, but I guess my dad wasn't really buying them as he replied with an "Okay, you know I'm a busy man." in an unbothered tone and turned his chair leaving me with his back.

I sighed, "Alright alright dad. You got me."

Dad turned around with a soft smile plastered on his face. "Aw, my girl is all grown up now." He brushed my hair with his fingers and tucked it behind my ear.

All guilty, I looked up. "Can you keep it a secret? Just between you and me? I really do want to believe that we're just friends but I couldn't control my emotions dad."

He chuckled, "I got your back. It's just a crush, soulmate or not doesn't really matter to me. Your secret is safe with me." He assured me with a wink. "And about your gift... as long as it comes from your heart. For sure he'll like it."

 

 

Jongin's 18th birthday.

I came at dinner time with my parents at the Kim's residence. Everyone was gathered in the dining area singing happy birthday to Jongin. After the song, he of course made a wish before blowing the candle and clapped. "Our boy is already 18, all grown up." His dad ruffled his hair.

"You're finally gonna meet your soulmate, the one you've always been waiting for." Jongin's mom added.

"Oh come on mom. Don't make me sound so desperate, people are around." He hid his face in embarrassment.

"As if you don't make it look obvious." Samantha, the eldest daughter of the Kim's, who stood beside her soulmate. And what I mean by soulmate is her fiance now.

Jongin just rolled his eyes. "Why don't we just have dinner now, please?" He asked to stop them from further embarrassing himself in front of everyone.

It wasn't a big party, it's two of his close friends from school, Wonsik and Taemin were invited along with me and my family. The Kims like keeping their circle small, that's why they always celebrate with my family and not more than a few friends over. We all had dinner together, then Jongin, me and his school friends went in the room, while leaving my parents with the Kim's to have some chit chats.

"Miseo, this is Kim Wonsik. He's from the other class, we're together in the dance club with Taemin." Jongin explained.

"Miseo, this is Wonsik. Wonsik, this is Bong Miseo." He helped us introduce ourselves with each other.

"Pleased to meet you, I do see you around in school though." I shook Wonsik's hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter