THE RETURN OF THE KING

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“According to one of the thorns in Sichuan, the president went to some traditional local market to look for souvenirs when the earthquake occurred.” Mingyu updated his young boss who was sitting at the back of the car.

 

Jeonghan nodded absent-mindedly. It’s been days yet up until now, the updates he gets from Mingyu are useless. None of them tell him if the mafia is still alive or not. It was bothering the angel so much that this morning, he felt reluctant to go to school. He couldn't focus in class; he couldn’t pretend he doesn't know that the mafia could be badly hurt. At some point on the car ride, Jeonghan wanted to tell Mingyu to turn the car back but stopped when he realized how affected he was. Shouldn't he be celebrating the fact that he might actually be free from this marriage trap?

 

"We're here sir."

 

Jeonghan blinked a few times and waited for the assistant to repeat himself. Only then did he look around and noticed that the car has already reached his new home. The angel got out of the car and lazily walked in the house. Jeonghan wanted to go to bed early, he had no appetite but his journey to his and the mafia’s shared room was hindered by the presence of a tall man in their living room. “Maste--- appa?”

 

The older man with gray eyes turned his head and automatically smiled when he saw his son-in-law. “Ah, you’re home Jeonghan-ah!” Seung-hyun eagerly closed the small distance between him and the boy and gave him a hug. “How are you? You don’t look so good!”

 

“I-I’m okay appa, I’m just exhausted from school.” Jeonghan lied. “How are you appa? What made you drop by?”

 

Seung-hyun looked at his son-in-law with sad eyes and held his hands. “I am doing fine son but I am worried about you! My dear child if school is stressing you out, just drop out! You are already rich; you don’t have to work anymore!”


This kind of reaction reminded Jeonghan of the mafia. They really are father and son. He thought to himself as he absent mindlessly watch his father-in-law explain (with much body language and self-made sound effects) how wealthy his family is.

 

“---just like our precious Cheollie, I will respect your decision. Speaking of him, I came here to assure you that he is okay. My son, just like his father, is someone who would not be easily swayed by a calamity, so don’t you worry much about him!” The tall man said with so much pride and confidence as if his son wasn’t in China when a high-intensity earthquake struck.

 

“H-have you talked to him appa?”

 

“Oh, not yet, but I can feel it in my bones that he’s fine so don’t you worry!”

 

This kind of lack of interest in knowing if his child is really okay made Jeonghan even more anxious. He felt sorry for the mafia. What kind of father stays calm when he hasn’t heard of his son for days?! This family he married IS mad!

 

“--- I would like to have dinner with you tonight Jeonghan-ah so you won’t feel so lonely in this big house, but appa has some urgent meeting to attend. After what happened in Sichuan, work has been hectic! I’m supposed to be retired! My son really, he must go home right away!”

 

Jeonghan had gotten lost in his thought that he didn’t really pay attention to his in-law until the old man had decided to carry on with his business and bid goodbye to him. The angel sighed after waving at his father-in-law as his expensive car drove away. Jeonghan closed the door. He was walking towards the stairs when the doorbell rang. His eyes widened. Suddenly, his heart was pounding loudly. Could it be? Jeonghan ran back to the door and held the knob with his now sweaty hands; he opened the door with much anticipation but got disappointed when he saw that it was just the mafia’s man, Vernon.

 

“Good evening, sir. The gift from one of the family’s close friend had been delivered.” Vernon stepped inside the house with four men magically appearing behind him, holding a wide rectangular item covered in cardboard.

 

“Ah so it has arrived” Mingyu appeared all tall and mighty in his apron. “President Choi had told me to have it put in the living room above the fireplace, so gentlemen, please.”

Jeonghan watched as the men nod and proceed to walk towards the living room and because he’s naturally curious, he followed them and watched as they open the box. He knew it’s a painting, it was obvious but he wonders what kind of painting the mafia’s friend would give him. When the men had fully removed the rest of the cover, the angel felt his heart skip a beat when a familiar handsome side profile appeared on the artwork.

 

It was a painting of the mafia… and him. Jeonghan’s breath was taken when he realized that the subject was their wedding day, it captured the moment he was caged in the mafia’s strong arms just when he was about to fall down the stairs. The angel vaguely remembered the touch of the man but his heart could not forget how he felt in that moment.

 

“What’s wrong sire?”

 

Jeonghan blinked a few times before realizing that Mingyu was asking him a question. That’s the time he realized Vernon and his crew had already gone and finished hanging the painting on the wall.

 

“You’ve been staring at the painting for quite some time now. Are you perhaps dissatisfied with it?"

 

“A—ah no, it—it’s lovely. I just--- don’t you think I look fat in it?” Jeonghan tried his best not to get caught, he definitely don’t want the mafia’s underling to realize that he was staring at the other man on the painting.

 

“Quite the opposite, sire. I think you’ve only recently gained weight.”

 

“O—oh is that so? Hahaha… anyway, I feel tired, I’m going to head to bed.” Jeonghan faked a yawn and headed to the stairs to escape.

 

“But sire, you haven’t eat--” the assistant couldn’t finish his sentence when his phone started ringing. He quickly pulled it out of his pocket and his eyes visibly widened when he saw the caller ID, the thorn immediately pressed the answer button. “Wonwoo---”

 

Jeonghan, who was eavesdropping as he climbed up the stairs, stopped on his way and turned his head to his assistant. He's tired of getting false hope. He didn't wanna believe Mingyu, he thought it was just one of the many inappropriate attempt of the assistant to joke around but when they locked eyes, the angel could confirm that the man isn’t fooling around, that he really is on a call now with the other assistant. The boy didn’t even think twice when he ran back down, almost stumbling as he tried to look not that much eager to hear any update.

 

“---Where are you and the president? Are you both okay?”

 

*****

 

It’s already past midnight, but the angel still couldn’t sleep. Although Mingyu had already informed him that the mafia is safe (thanks to their very own search team, A.K.A Chinese thorns) and will be flying back home the day after tomorrow, he can’t help but worry. Especially when the mafia couldn't even take the call, especially when his assistant told him that the mafia got hurt while looking for a present to get him. Jeonghan didn’t ask anything from the man yet still, the boy felt guilty. His housemate might have been hurt pretty badly to stay in the hospital.

Jeonghan rolled on the wide bed. He looked at his phone’s call log. He tried calling the mafia twice after hearing about the incident but the line was out. Should he text the boss now knowing that their phone service is back? He never started a conversation with him before, it’s always the mafia who’s sending him a message, replying to him is his poor excuse to keep in touch with the man; but now that he didn’t receive any, isn’t it only natural for him to check on the man through text? Jeonghan kept reminding himself that he’s only doing it as a decent housemate as he composed a message.

 

To: Choi Seungcheol

Hey! I heard from Wonwoo-ssi that you are in the hospital. We are glad to hear that you both are safe. We do hope for your fast recovery.

 

To: Choi Seungcheol

Oh, and appa came here early this evening! He was worried about you. It would be good if you call him once you are able to.

 

To: Choi Seungcheol

What time is your flight? Have a safe trip back home! I’m going to sleep now. Good night!

 

After hitting the send button, Jeonghan put his phone on the drawer and closed his eyes. He tried to relax, repeated in his head multiple times that he should sleep but he failed. The bed is starting to feel a little too big, a little colder. The angel opened his eyes. He's getting impatient. He took his phone once more and sent another message.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter