YOU'RE NOT AS DISCREET AS YOU THOUGHT, SIR CHOI

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Who have you been texting?” Jisoo stuck his head on his best friend’s shoulder to get a glimpse of this mysterious being his friend had been messaging nonstop since he arrived at school. The boy thought it’s just because Jeonghan had gotten a new phone from his father, that he’s trying all the functions of the phone but when he noticed his friend’s very readable flushed facial expressions, he knew something was up. He had never seen his buddy so immense on his phone before, so he's naturally curious.

 

“J-Jisoo!” Jeonghan immediately clutched his phone to his chest and jumped when he learned that his friend was just behind him. “How long have you been standing there?”

 

Jisoo narrowed his eyes before flopping down to the seat next to his friend. The two were out the university's track field. “Long enough to know you’re hiding something from me. Spill it, who’s this mysterious person you’ve been going head over heels about?”

 

The angels face turned bright red at the suggestive look of his friend. Mysterious person he’s going head over heels about? Mysterious, yes but head over heels? Jeonghan would rather die than to have romantic feelings for the mafia. “W-what? You’re seeing things Jisoo--- I was--- I was just checking my phone!”

 

The fox-eyed boy leaned his head close to his friend, looking closely at his friend’s trembling eyes. “Really? Then you wouldn’t mind me checking your phone?” Jisoo immediately snatched his friend’s handphone and ran from the bench to the middle of the field.

 

“Ahh! You little----” Jeonghan bolted like he represents South Korea’s national track and field. He maybe lazy but he’s really good at several sports, that’s why it was no surprise that he got a hold of his friend’s collar before he could check the boy’s messages or even run further.

 

“Hey-- I just bought this! Let g----” the phone in Jisoo’s hand started ringing and he didn’t miss his friend’s panicked face. Heh, I got you now! And instead of handing it to the owner like a good friend should, the sly fox hit the answer button and put the phone next to his ears. “Hello?”

 

Jeonghan couldn’t’ hide the horror on his face when his friend took the call for him. Now he’s really busted. It’s--- it’s all the mafia’s fault! If he didn’t message Jeonghan “don’t miss your lunch again” during school hours, the boy wouldn’t have replied, then his best friend wouldn’t have been suspicious!

 

“Y---yes sir, I apologize.” The angel saw the change in his best friend's mischievous expression the moment he took the call. He started apologizing frantically, his face all red. Jeonghan has no idea who called him but seeing his friend sweating profusely, the caller must be one of the blonde’s bosses from his part-time job that he hasn't attended in two week.

 

“Sorry for the trouble, sir. Goodbye.” Jisoo did a 45 degree bow as if the person on the phone could see him and moments after, he threw the brand new phone to its owner. “Jeez-- your boss at the restaurant gave me an earful! He fired me thinking I was you!”

 

The angel sighed in relief. Turns out, ignoring his boss’ call since he got his phone back would be helpful for him. His nosy friend took the scolding for him. Ha! That’s what you get for snooping around!”

 

The boy clicked his tongue and blew his bangs. “If you just tell me what you’ve been keeping, it wouldn’t have gone that far!”

 

“I told you I wasn’t keeping anything! You received karma because you didn’t believe in me.” The angel shoved his phone back in his pocket and started walking out of the campus.


Jisoo followed his best friend, a little upset because the blonde is still not telling him anything. He was gonna start an interrogation when he was pulled to a tree by the criminal. “Yoon Jeonghan what are----”

 

“Shh! Look!” Jeonghan covered his best friend’s loud mouth and pointed at the person in gray sweater, walking alone to their direction, a starbucks coffee in his left hand. “Isn’t that the dongsaeng that owes you 18,000 won?”

 

“Ah! That’s him! I’ve been looking for him since our break!” Jisoo raised his fist, a nerve popping on the side of his head. "This kid--- how dare he buy expensive coffees when he still hasn’t paid for the money he borrowed?!" Jisoo jumped from behind the tree and in front of the boy.

 

"YA, KIM DOYOUNG!"

 

“H-hyung!” The boy’s eyes widened, not expecting to run into his senior today. He immediately hid the cup of iced coffee behind him. “H-how have you been?”

 

“How have I been? I’ve been dying to punch you in the---” Before Jisoo could even grab his collar, the boy bolted. “Ya! Come back here you little !”

 

Jeonghan watched his best friend run farther as he chased the boy and when they are no longer in his sight, the blonde heaved a sigh of relief. He got lucky today. If he didn’t spot that kid, Jisoo must have had him confess already. The angel doesn’t know how long he’ll be able to keep his mouth shut. He knows he'll have to tell the truth to his friend someday, sometimes he gets tempted to come clean but when he reminds himself that he's saving his friend from any danger his relation with the mafia might bring him, he stops and lets go of the thought. He'll just have to keep everything a secret for now.

 

Jeonghan was deep in his thoughts when his phone suddenly rang. The angel checked his notification, there’s one message from an unknown number. The blonde stared at his phone for a brief moment. He still hasn’t saved the mafia’s number on his phone, he thought it was unnecessary since there’s no reason for him to message the man that often and yet three days later, here he is, texting his husband for the fifth time since this morning.

 

From: unknown number

Work in Beijing is finished but I have to fly to Sichuan in a few. There are some problems I have to resolve with the contractors and engineers that being the case, I have to delay my flight until tomorrow. I’m sorry I can’t come home tonight.

 

Judging by the man's cold appearance, it is unusual for the mafia to apologize for something that is not his fault. It’s a bit OOC and Jeonghan would dwell on that for a day but right now, the angel is more focused on the former part of the message. The mafia must be exhausted, he thought. He’s been messaging Jeonghan at 6 A.M. since he arrived in China, which means he starts his day around that time; and now there’s another issue he has to work out? The man might fall ill if he keeps this up. Jeonghan clicked his tongue. He tapped the screen of his phone as he thought of what to reply.

 

To: unknown number

That’s too bad. :( I hope everything will be resolved before your flight tomorrow. Don’t over work!

 

Jeonghan didn’t even think twice when he sent the message to his husband. Normally, he’d immediately cringe after sending texts like “don’t overwork!” or “don’t forget to eat your lunch too!” but right now, there are much more important things to think about. For example: why isn’t he happy? Jeonghan will have the room to himself for one more night, his freedom will be extended for another day, he should be ecstatic, but why isn’t he?

 

From: unknown number

I won’t. I’ve bought local food

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter