THE BEGINNING, THE END, AND THE LEES

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

💓 Thank you for upvoting! 💓
isthatmyname, trbl1993

 

“Morning.” Jeonghan greeted his well-dressed husband who had just stepped in the living room. They’ve been living together for a while but this is the first time the mafia woke up later than him. The older male is the early bird between them, so the day started quite unusually for the blonde.

 

Seungcheol walked straight to his wife and his hands immediately landed on the younger man’s waist, making the blonde’s cheek turn rosy red. “Good morning, wife.”

 

“It’s the weekend, are you going som---- ommo! Your eyes are puffy! Were you able to sleep last night?” Jeonghan asked worriedly after looking at his husband’s face. 

 

Seungcheol coughed to avoid the wife’s gaze. “It--it’s nothing. I need to meet some people today. I’ll return before dinner. Will you be okay at home?”
 

Jeonghan didn’t know if he wanted to roll his eyes because he was being treated like a child or felt moved because his husband was worried about him. The angel grabbed the husband’s tie and aligned it. “Oh that’s alright! I also have plans with Jisoo this afternoon.” 

 

Seungcheol narrowed his eyes at the blonde and it was quickly followed by a teasing smile. “I’m hoping it has nothing to do with alcohol.”

 

Jeonghan blushed profusely after being reminded of what they did for hours yesterday. His eyes diverted to the dark marks on the tycoon’s neck. “I--- that was---- W-we’re just planning to go to a cafe!” 

 

Nothing satisfies Seungcheol like his wife’s flustered expression. The tycoon leaned his head down to give his wife a peck on the cheek. “I know you won’t do it again.”

 

There are times Jeonghan wants to curse at his husband for his teasing remarks. 

 

“Mingyu.” Seungcheol’s playful expression quickly faded when he faced the thorn. He only called his name (and in the calmest manner at that) but the young assistant already knows the underlying message. Let him act recklessly again and you won’t see the sunlight again. 

 

Mingyu tried to hide his shivers. “Ahem--- y-yes president Choi.” 

 

Seungcheol nodded at his wife to signal him that he was going but a hand stopped him. When he looked behind, he saw his wife biting his lips, his cheeks all red. What is the blonde being shy about? “Babe?”
 

The angel looked around nervously before signaling the husband to move his head lower. “Uh--- y-you’re neck…” 
 

Seungcheol blinked and raised his brows. He looked down at his guilty wife and then took out his phone to use it as a mirror. The red and purple marks on the side of his neck peeking with just a slight tilt of the head. A satisfied grin graced the tycoon’s lips. “Thank you for this. I’ve been wanting to brag about my life.”


The blood in Jeonghan’s body rapidly ran up to his head and then his head figuratively exploded. “S-stay there! I’m gonna get you a scarf!” After the announcement, the wife sped up the staircase.


Seungcheol didn’t forget to chuckle before lowkey hurrying to the door. “Wonwoo it’s getting late, let’s go.”

 

“Yes, president Choi.” Wonwoo hid his smile after witnessing another tooth-aching interaction of his bosses.

 

*****

“Jeez, what’s taking Jisoo so long?” Jeonghan tapped on his straw. The young wife was sitting at the far right of the cafe near the brink walls and ornaments. He looked out the window where his assistant was standing obediently. Jeonghan sighed and looked at his watch. His best friend hasn’t texted him and it’s already past their meeting time. It looks like he’ll be waiting much longer. When the angel took a sip of his coffee, he realized that it was already empty. Jeonghan stood up to get himself another order. 

Jeonghan stood in line and while waiting for his turn, a voice called his name.

 

“Jeonghan.”

 

The angel turned his head but he didn’t find anybody familiar. That’s weird… he was sure he heard someone call his---

 

“Jeonghan.” 

 

The blonde jumped when he felt a warm hand on his back. When he turned he sighed and smiled. “Oh---- Jihoon! So it was you calling me.”


The small man with black hair was wearing round black-framed glasses, making his face look softer. The large white shirt and baggy gray pants he was wearing made him look even more like a child. Jeonghan fought the urge to tease Lee Chan’s older brother. “How are you doing these days?”
 

Jeonghan narrowed his eyes. “Hey, why aren’t you calling me hyung? We haven’t seen each other in a while but that doesn’t make you older than me!” He pinched the boy’s cheek.

 

“....”

 

“....” When the black-haired man didn’t swat his hand or complain like he normally did, Jeonghan quickly let go. Oh how awkward… How long has it been since they last saw each other? How has he matured so fast? Is he really talking to Lee Jihoon? “I--- uh… I’ve been well. How have you been?”

 

To Jeonghan’s surprise, the boy gave him a small smile. “I’ve also been well. I’ve been reading lately.”

 

“A-ahh…” That explains the glasses. Jeonghan thought. “What have you been reading?”

 

“Anything there is to know what’s going on in people’s minds.”

 

“Are you working on a new song again?”

 

Jihoon only smiled at the question. “I’ve been very interested in what people think about fate… about things that are beyond our power.”

 

The angel tilted his head. Jihoon surely has matured. “I never thought you’d be curious about religion and such.”

 

“Have you heard of the book Deux?”

 

“Deux?”
 

“They say that it’s the book belonging to the angel named Seo. Deux is the book of guidance, it’s a documentation of the powers of divine creatures. Somewhat like a handbook to students. Everything written in there were the direct words of God himself. Everything is written in it… will become true.”

 

Jeonghan felt his heart skip when he heard the name of the angel. Deux? How come he has never heard of it before?
 

“The ink used in the book was the blood of Seo and only his plume is able to stay permanent in it. Use any other ink, blood, it will just vanish so it won't become absolute.”

 

“W-why are you telling me this Jihoon?” Why does he feel a bit uneasy? 

 

The black-haired boy just blinked and raised his shoulder. “Oh… I got carried away, my apologies. I just wanted to share what I found out.”

 

“Oh.. okay…” Jeonghan started sweating… Why is the room temperature getting hot?

 

Jihoon looked at his watch and put one hand in his pockets. “Well, I need to get going now, it was nice to finally meet you.”

 

“I---uhh” Is he okay? Is Jeonghan hallucinating? If not, is Jihoon okay? He has been acting very strange. Do people who mature talk like him? The angel couldn’t even utter a word when the boy turned and casually walked to exit the cafe.

 

“Oh!” Jihoon turned his whole body using the heel of his right foot to have a look at the perplexed blonde. “Go with what your gut is telling you.” And with that, the boy continued to walk his way to the large glass window.

 

Jeonghan watched the younger male leave, his jaw dropped. He was left speechless. What just happened? 

 

“Sir Choi!” 

 

Jeonghan whipped his head quickly when he heard the panicked voice of his assistant. When he turned, he saw the tall man sighing a breath of relief. What happened? “Mingyu! Is something wrong?”

 

“Where have you been, sir? I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Mingyu’s hair was disheveled, when he wasn’t able to see the mafia’s wife through the cafe’s window, the tall man pulled on his own hair out of stress. Being the rozu’s assistant is surely making him age fast. Why is his boss so carefree?!

 

“But I was just standing here?” Is his assistant turning blind? He is standing just near the cashier, anyone could see from the outside so why is his assistant panicking? Is someone playing a prank on him? Why is everyone acting differently today?  

 

“Please--- sir Choi, don’t be out of my sight again! I don’t wanna die young!” 

 

“But I was really just---- okay.” Although confused, Jeonghan let it go after seeing how frustrated his assistant was. Poor guy. He thought. He must have been traumatized the day he went home drunk. 

 

And while the thorn was nagging him, Jeonghan felt his phone buzz. Since the assistant didn’t seem like he’ll finish scolding him anytime soon, the blond decided to answer his phone and save himself from an earful. “Ya! Hong Jisoo where are---” 

 

“I’m sooo sooo sooo sooo sorry! Please forgive me Jeonghan but I can’t make it today! My dad wants me to go golfing with him and his business partner. It was too sudden! I’m really sorry I couldn’t tell you earlier!”

 

Jeonghan held his tongue when he heard his friend’s panicked voice. “Okay, okay. Calm down. It’s okay. I have Mingyu-ssi accompanying me anyway. You go and impress your future boss.” 

 

“Thank you! I’ll treat you next time! Bye Han!” And with that, the call ended.

 

“Mingyu-ssi, Jisoo can’t come today.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry sir Choi. Something urgent must have come up.”

 

“Yeah, he’ll be taking his internship in his father’s company. He has to play golf with them to gain favor from his dad’s business partner.” Jeonghan chuckled a little. “That idiot sounded so nervous.”

 

“I see. I wish Mr. Hong good luck. What about you, sir Choi? Are you nervous about working for the president?” 

 

Jeonghan, who was then sipping his cold drink, almost squirted the coffee from his nose. “W-what?! What made you think I’m gonna work for him?!”

 

Mingyu raised his brows in confusion. “Why not, sir Choi? Isn’t it only natural for you to work for the president?”

 

“.....”

 

“Do you have a problem working with the president, sir Choi?”

 

“Mingyu-ssi, he’s your boss and you’re terrified of him! That tells a lot!”

 

“Then sir Choi, is there any company you are planning to work for?”

 

“Uh…”


“Haven’t thought about it?”

 

“Well…”

 

“This is just my two cents, sir Choi. Working for the president comes with great benefits. Not only will you be able to help run the family business, but you will also be able to gain a lot of experience. Interns, especially in big companies are often treated like slaves. Instead of a real job, your superiors will order you to buy coffee and pick up their laundry. I’m sure you have heard of such incidents before and sadly, it is very common.” 

 

Jeonghan sighed. What his assistant is telling is the sad truth.

 

“And…” Mingyu paused for a bit before continuing. “The president is not just the boss of Coups Corporation. He has rivals that are looking for opportunities to put him at a disadvantage. I think you already have an idea of what I’m pertaining to, sire.”

 

The angel’s eyes widened after being reminded of the dangers of marrying his husband.

 

Mingyu lifted his cup of tea, and before taking a sip, he softly said. “Having you by his side would lessen president Choi’s worries.” And also he might become less temperamental at work. 

 

“Hmmm….”

 

“Although I’m sure the president would love to have you working for him, your future is your choice to make sir Choi. I’m sure that if you have a different company in mind… if you tell the president he will understand… so go with what your gut is telling you.”

 

Jeonghan stopped sipping his coffee when he heard the last line. That’s the second time he heard that this afternoon. “My gut feeling huh…”

 

That day, Jeonghan began to seriously weigh his options.
 

*****

 

A week after having a talk with his insightful assistant, Jeonghan was finally able to make a decision. The angel skipped his way downstairs and sat down in the large white sofa in the living room. He crossed his legs and used them as a table for his laptop. He’s home once again. Since he is in his last year, he has fewer subjects to attend to which gives him so much free time to go to job interviews. Alright, now it’s time for him to start getting serious! The angel opened his very expensive laptop, courtesy of his husband, and started working on his work application.

 

While Jeonghan searched for a decent resume template, Mingyu walked by.

 

“Good morning sir Choi. Would you like to have your breakfast served here instead?”

 

Jeonghan glanced up for a bit and saw his assistant in his usual formal attire. “Morning and uhh yes please, thank you. Seungcheol-ssi already left, right?”

 

“Yes sir, a while ago. Is there anything you need from him? Would you like me to call him?”

 

“A--ah no, I was just making sure!” Jeonghan doesn’t want his husband to find him working on his resume. Living with the mafia for a while, he knows that once the chi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter