A CHOI NEVER BOWS WITH THEIR HEAD ON THE GROUND, NOT TO ANYONE

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

💓 Thank you for upvoting! 💓

Haponponpon

 

Last night: (Continuation of the conversation between Mrs. Jang and Mr.Kim)

 

“If I may say madam, another attempt to break them apart isn’t needed. I think the boy has proved his worth by choosing to stay with the president.” 

 

“Mr.Kim, it seems like you are rooting for the young lad. Why?” The old lady had laid down five white papers (with old characters written in each) to dry.  After doing so, she placed her hands on her knee and looked to her assistant of 30 years, waiting for him to speak his mind.   

 

The middle-aged man looked back to the day the blonde maintained the garden. 

 

Because of the heat, the boy decided to stop working in the afternoon. Mr. Kim followed the lad to the kitchen. He was surprised when the kid handed him a glass of orange juice. 

 

“You were sweating too much ahjussi. At your age it isn’t good to stay in the sun for too long--- you could get a heat !” 

 

The young boy sighed and sat at the counter. “Ahjussi, how long have you been working with granny? Has she always been this cranky?”

 

“.....”

 

“How will I get here to like me?”

 

“.....”

 

“Hmm… I guess I’ll just have to follow her around until she changes her mind, thanks ahjussi!” Jeonghan finished the glass of drink and went straight to the living room to rest. “Let’s get some rest ahjussi! Please sit down, you’re always standing! It’s not good for your knees! I’m only 24 yet I feel like my knees would give up after standing for a few hours, I always need to lie down! You shouldn’t push yourself ahjussi!”

 

The man didn't budge in his place. He wanted to be offended at how old and fragile the young boy was trying to make him sound, but he was moved with his offer. 

 

“Ah…. you’re so stubborn--- you remind me of my hus-- of Seungcheol.” 

 

Mr.Kim blinked after hearing the blonde’s cheerful voice stammer and turn serious. He waited for the boy to continue talking. 

 

“Why is that whenever things start to go well between us, something bad happens?” Jeonghan looked down to his knees. “I’m starting to think he’s a bad luck magnet…”

 

The man was surprised when the boy who was just looking sad suddenly jumped from his seat. 

 

“Ah! Ahjussi I think you should return me home! Seungcheol is scary when he’s angry! Last time, when a guy tried to assault me, he beat him and pulled a gun out of nowhere! If you’re thinking straight you mustn't tick him off! Don’t worry! Since you’ve been kind to me I will tell him not to lay a finger on you! I promise! He-- he might seem like a bad guy but he’s actually forgiving... I swear on my mom’s grave he will not harm you.” The boy got up and ran to where the old man was standing. He held out his right pinky. “Promise!” 

 

The old man smiled to himself before making eye contact with the old lady. “The young master has sharp eyes, madam. I’m certain he had found something special inside the boy. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be stopping operations and sending his private force to look for his wife.” 

 

“Tch. I’m afraid you’ve got a point there. You’ve always been a great observer, Mr. Kim.”   

 

The guard bowed politely to his boss after receiving a compliment. “Thank you madam.” 

 

“When Seungcheol was young, he asked about how I met his grandfather. He was so amused to find out that I married him right after I met him. I was young and reckless. I believe in love at first sight. He must have held onto what I said and decided to follow in my footsteps. I was only lucky. What I did was dangerous, I can’t even imagine how miserable my life would have been if my late husband wasn’t who he was. Seungcheol is naive to think the way I did when I was young. Do you understand? That boy could be the reason he’d fall apart.” 

 

“ I understand, madam. But I think the young master also got lucky.”

 

“How so?”

 

“It seems the lad had tamed the president. He can potentially be dangerous to the young master, I agree but if I may say so, that is something you have no control over, madam. Whoever the young master marries, be it someone he had known for a long time, or a complete stranger, everything lies at how he and that person conform. Even if he married someone from the same status, there is no guarantee that they will live happily.”

 

Having to work for the ex-leader of Hanahaki, the middle-aged man had seen the president grow. He had seen the man as someone with a cold personality. His ability to see others’ schemes has saved him from people who want to take advantage of him but it also have made the president unapproachable. Because of people's hunger for power and wealth the man built a tall, solid wall around that would block anyone who would want to get close. The young master would never let anyone use him to their advantage. That is why him purposely letting the blonde in says so much. 

 

The old woman’s eyes widened. She stared at the assistant for a minute before chuckling. “Very well. It seems the boy had earned another point.” The old woman looked at the clock and realized that it was already late. “You may rest now, Mr. Kim.”  

 

*****

Now:

“Young master, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to listen to their conversation.” Jeonghan jumped from where he was standing when he heard a very low voice. He wanted to punch whoever that was but he was too surprised (and lowkey scared he might get punched back) when he saw the tall middle-aged man. This is the first time Jeonghan heard the guard speak.

 

“It’s better if you wait for madam in the kitchen.” He may have spoken in a monotonous tone but the angel could sense his worry.  This action made Jeonghan’s heart even more tight in his chest. Why is the guard warning him? He’s too curious not to know. Who is this person his husband refuses to meet? 

 

“I just want to see how she looks.” Jeonghan didn’t let the concern stop him. His feet were heavy but he still insisted on peeking in the living room. He must see her. He wants to know what kind of woman this lady Lewis is. 

 

“Mrs. Jang, thank you so much for your efforts but I don’t think Seungcheol will ever want to meet me. I think it’s time I give up on seeing him.” The young woman smiled, but her eyes were obviously sad. 

 

Jeonghan felt like a cold bucket of water was poured on him when he saw her. Lady Lewis, the beautiful lady with jet black hair, smiling with her pearl white teeth and full red lips is currently bowing politely at Seungcheol’s grandmother. The woman was glowing. The dress she’s wearing, her boots and jewelries...they look like something he would only see in magazines. The angel’s confidence immediately went down. How could someone be so elegant looking? 

 

And the old lady… Jeonghan’s eyes felt like stinging when she saw how bright the grandmother is, talking to the young woman. The angel gripped on his shirt. His chest was hurting. Seungcheol’s grandmother was smiling. She must really like her. 

 

The old woman noticed the blonde that’s been eavesdropping. Just as she thought. Her plans are going perfect. She looked at the young woman in front of her and spoke. “You know Yurika, my grandson is one stubborn man but I know someone who can change his mind.” The old woman turned her head to where the angel was hiding and called. “You, come here.” 

 

Jeonghan stiffened in his place. When the old woman gestured to her to sit down with them. The angel could feel the cold sweat forming on his forehead. How did she know he was there?

 

“This young man knows my grandson very well. With his help, I’m sure that rascal will change his mind.” 

 

“Madam---” Mr.Kim realized what the old woman was planning to do.

  

“Mr.Kim, get this young lad something to drink.” The woman smiled at the bodyguard who also came out of his hiding, ultimately stopping him from meddling. 

 

Jeonghan made a mistake in listening to the conversation. He should have listened to the guard when he told him not to do it. Now he’s sitting across the woman who’s been blindly in love with his husband since she met him once upon a time at a business gathering. It isn’t a surprise. Jeonghan knew the tycoon had unintentionally swooned a lot of hearts. That’s how great the mafia is. But to meet someone who is in the same class as the mafia, his heart felt stuffed. It reminded Jeonghan of the time he met the mafia’s circle. There’s another big gap between him and the mafia.

 

“It would be perfect if Seungcheol could marry such a fine woman like her, don’t you think so? 

 

The angel watched the beautiful lady blushing and panicking when the old woman complimented her. Even when she’s embarrassed, she’s  so elegant. Jeonghan felt a cold, concrete wall separating him from her and Seungcheol’s grandmother. She comes from a wealthy family and she’s beautiful. No wonder the old lady kept pushing the mafia to see her.If Seungcheol meets her, he knows for sure that the man will fall head over heels over her. Any man would. 

 

“I’m sorry Jeonghan-ssi, I think I’m imposing too much!” Her korean needs some work but she spoke clearly.

 

Under the table, Jeonghan slowly removed his ring.  Jeonghan felt his heart shattering into tiny pieces. He feels like he’s betraying himself and the mafia but he knows it himself, it’s for the best. He felt the old woman’s eyes on him but he didn’t look up. He’s afraid tears will fall if he did. “I-I’ll see what I can do…”

 

“Really?! Oh thank you, thank you!” The woman held Jeonghan’s hand out of happiness.  Oblivious to the sad smile displayed at her. 

 

The angel fell on his knees when he entered his room. Now that he’s finally alone, he could stop masking his feelings. The smile that he was displaying just now immediately disappeared from his face. Jeonghan fell on the cold futon and hugged himself. He his phone’s screen and he chuckled.  How convenient… his phone is suddenly working.  It's like heaven is even on the beautiful woman’s side. The angel badly wanted to cry. Why does everything have to hurt? 

 

“Jeonghan--- Are you okay? I’m sorry, I will take you home soon, do you know where you are? Where did she take y-”  

 

That voice… The angel had been wanting to hear them. He wants to tell his husband just how much he had missed him these past few days. Jeonghan didn’t know where he got the courage to ring his husband, knowing that what he’s planning to do will hurt the man.

 

“Wait. Please… Seungcheol hear me out first. I have something to say. Just listen. Okay?” Jeonghan heard the man take a deep breath, telling Jeonghan that he doesn’t agree with the condition but will still listen. He misses hearing this displeased sound his hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter