I Don't Want to be an Idol (Chapter 25)

I Don't Want to be an Idol
"I haven't opened the letter yet," Minhyun said. I know he was nervous because his eyes keep darting away from me. "I know I don't have the right to call you but, I... I don't know why Tiffany sent me that letter this late. I..I called you here for that favor."
 
"You want me to read this letter for you?"
 
He nodded meekly.
 
I didn't get why the letter came this late. It's been years since Tiffany's death. "Yane, I'm sorry if I asked you to do this but you're the only person I thought of."
 
I tore the envelope and pulled the letter out.
 
Minhyun,
 
I will be gone once you receive this letter. I know you might be wondering why it took years to send this to you, but you will understand once you read this until the end.
 
I was hurt, you know? But I understood why you did what you did because you were still on the peek of your career. But you took the risk with me even though we both know it will end up sad, and I'm thankful that once in my life someone took the chance to love me despite the consequences.
 
You made me happy, Minhyun. You did.
 
But do you know your weakness? Because I do. You're easy to read, Minhyun. The way that your eyes sparkled with love, and the way you smiled. It was not for me, wasn't it?
 
But how can I blame you? She's just a lovable person, isn't she? I wanted to be angry and blame her because somehow, she captured your heart. But I can't, it was not her fault after all.
 
My heart was full of pain when I saw you fell in love with her, but I know you tried to push your feelings for her for me. And that felt even painful for me. At that moment, I know I lost you.
 
I love you, Minhyun and I know that somewhere in your heart you also loved me the same. And I'm sorry that I left like this, but I know you'll take care of her. 
                                                                                                                                          -Tiffany
I clenched my teeth and glared at him. "You cheated on her?" I tried my best not to scream at him because we were in a public place.
 
"What?" He was surprised by my question. He grabs the letter and starts to read it.
 
After leading the letter, his face became pale, and he couldn't look at me. "This is a misunderstanding, Yane."
 
"I didn't know I could feel this much hate towards a person, Minhyun. And that is you! So please let's never see each other again." I stormed out the door.
 
I walked away from the coffee shop and sat on a bench in the park and calmed myself. "Yane." Minhyun was standing in front of me.
 
"I said leave me alone! Just leave me alone!" I yelled. "You destroyed my best friend's life, and I can't stand seeing your face.
 
"I was wrong, okay! I tried to reach out for you and her family when I heard about her death. But my company stopped me. I had to lie in front of people to protect my image, and I regret that. I do! But I want you to know that I tried hard! I mourned alone, do you know how hard that is?"
 
"I don't care anymore, Minhyun. You can't undo the past. And you cheated on her. How can I not know that?"
 
"I didn't cheat on her, Yane."
 
"So let's say she's lying for argument's sake."
 
"Do you know who she was referring to in her letter?"
 
I look at him. "I don't-
 
"It was you."
 
It took me a moment to process what he said, and when I looked at him he was staring at me and tears was in his eyes. "I didn't know Tiffany knew. I tried so hard to hide my feelings, but she was right. She can read me easily." He sits beside me. "I'm sorry Yane. I know this is all messed up and I take the blame for all of it-
 
"Stop it, please," I told him weakly. How did he expect me to process all these things? "I'm tired, Minhyun."
 
"I'll take you home."
 
"I can go home alone. I need some time alone. Please go." I didn't have the strength to argue with him anymore. All I was thinking is about the letter.
 
After Minhyun left, I realized my feet took me to the cemetery. I was standing in front of Tiffany's smiling picture. I didn't know what to say after finding out a truth I didn't want to know.
 
"Yane," I recognized his voice. "Are you okay?"
 
I close my eyes and quietly sobbed. He approached me and enveloped his arms around me. I cried in his chest. Why? Just why did I have to find out the truth? "It's my fault," I mumbled. "It's all my fault."
 
Yongguk tightens his hug. "Please don't say that."
 
"I'm sorry, Tiffany," I whisper.