I Don't Want to be an Idol (Chapter 20)

I Don't Want to be an Idol
We decided that we should tell my uncle and the other members of our relationship after my exams. I purposely didn't go there because they were busy and I was also preparing for the exams. Jin would call me whenever he has time while I, on the other hand, watch them on TV when they perform on music shows.
 
But above everything else, I was worried about my uncle's reaction and the other members. I wasn't so sure how they would handle it, there was no point in hiding it either because we're all very close.
 
"Good luck on your exam tomorrow, Yane. You'll do well," he said over the phone the night before my exam.
 
"Thanks. You look good on TV today, I watched your performance." I laid on my bed as I talked to him.
 
He chuckles, "Of course, I always look good." His self-confidence is still really overflowing. "Are you worried?" He suddenly asks me.
 
"I don't know what to feel. I'm worried but at the same time, I'm scared. I don't want our relationship to affect the things we have with others." I reply.
 
"Yane, don't worry too much and concentrate on your exams. If you want we can tell them if you're ready, just know that we'll both be there together," he reassures me.
 
***
I told Jin that I will have a one-on-one talk with my uncle and tell him myself that we're dating. Jin wanted to be there but I told him that it would be better if I can tell him alone because he deserved to know it beforehand.
 
A week after my exams, I cooked dinner in the house and wait for him to come home. "I'm nervous about what you're going to say. You're not planning on leaving me, are you?"
 
"Of course not, uncle. Let's eat first while the food is hot." I'm really nervous because I have no idea how would he react if I tell him. I've been stressed about it and keep on thinking if I should tell him or not the past few days. But in the end, he's the only family I have and I didn't want to hide things from him.
 
I made tea after dinner as we sat in the living room. How should I start this? I ask myself. "How is work?" I ask, trying to open a conversation.
 
"Busy, as usual. Oh, I forgot, I'm really proud of you. You did well on your exams."
 
I smile and nod at him. "I studied hard for it. Thank you."
 
"So anyway, what did you want to tell me?"
 
My heart keeps beating faster and faster, the words are at the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to say it out loud. "Uhm," I lay the cup on the table and faced him. "Uncle, I've been giving it a lot of thought and I really wanted to be honest with you." I swallow hard and try to calm myself.
 
"What is it?"
 
"I- uh- I, Jin and I, we started dating not too long ago," I say as calmly as I can and waited for his reaction.
 
"Jin? Kim Seokjin?" I nod meekly. "From BTS?" I nod again trying to avoid his eyes.
 
I didn't know if he was angry or not but he didn't talk for a while. "I didn't expect that."
 
"Honestly, we've been keeping in touch before their tour and we've gotten pretty close. We've considered our feelings for each other when they were away and after they came back here, we decided to give it a chance." He knows that I never dated anyone before and now that I'm dating one of his 'sons', it felt different.
 
He sips his tea and looks at me. "I mean, this is a sudden news for me. I'm not against it or anything but I'm worried about you. I don't want to meddle with your feelings but are you sure you thought this through?"
 
I knew what he means by that. "Uncle, what happened to Tiffany had wounded me deeply. And after my parents died I've been feeling alone but you were there for me. And then when I started getting to know BTS, they've also helped me a lot in moving on. I tried pushing them away at the start but in the end, I think I needed people like them in my life."
 
"Yane, you've gotten close to all of them and that's really great. You've been through a lot of tragedies in your life and I don't want you to experience another." Of course, he would be worried. I understand about that, he has been working in the entertainment industry for such a long time and he knew that it would be hard for me.
 
"I know there will consequences, uncle. I've struggled with Tiffany before but I want to take the chance with him. We might not do things normally like other couples but he gives me strength, and that's what I needed now."
 
He nods and puts his arm around my shoulder. "Just be careful, Yane. I feel bad to say this personally but don't go out in public together, it's for the best for both of you. I don't want to see you having a hard time so please just be careful."