Chapter 28: SURPRISE SURPRISE

YG Auditions

 

I was sitting, sodden with sweat from my dance rehearsals with Jae Wook – ssi when Ji Eun unnie walked inside the studio looking for me. I wouldn’t have minded actually under normal circumstances that she would see me sweating profusely because it was normal for me as a trainee. But when the situation I would find myself in, as she walks inside the studio, would be me nearly sprawled on the floor laughing my off as Evan performed a rather lewd version of Wonder Girl’s dance steps to their hit song, “Like This” then that’s another matter altogether.

 

I sat up straight and quickly scrambled to my feet, composing my features to greet Big Bang’s stylist respectfully as she approached me. Evan made an obviously fake coughing sound as he himself stood up straight and went as far away as possible from the two of us to give us privacy when Ji Eun asked to talk with me about something important. “Would you like to move to a more private place?” I asked her, standing up to my full height, wondering what she would tell me. She shook her head and replied, “It’s nothing really but I’ve been meaning to ask you this for some time. You see, a few weeks ago my assistant had resigned and I haven’t found a good replacement for her yet. I’ve been doing the styling for Big Bang and their solo promotions all by myself and it’s taking a toll on me.”

 

My eyes were as wide as saucers and Evan’s gaping mouth revealed his own surprise at the stylist’s words. I shook my head slightly, disbelieving what I was listening to. “I’m sorry but are you asking me to become your assistant?” She smiled at me hesitantly and shyly. “Yes, I’ve seen how you dress and I’m really impressed with how you carry your clothes and your personal style. And you’re also aware of how my work is done since you’ve assisted me before. It also didn’t hurt that you got a really great recommendation from someone who I know is a credible source.” At this I furrowed my eyebrows. Who on earth would tell Ji Eun that I was perfect for the job? My conversation with Jiyong Oppa popped into my head and I looked at Big Bang’s stylist in a different light. I mean who else could it be?

 

Giving Ji Eun unnie a smile of my own, I happily accepted her request and asked, “When do I start?”

 


 

I was gliding, literally on the rooftop of the YG Building. It seems, it has become my second favorite place to hang out in, right after Teddy Oppa’s studio. I’m here with Youngbae Oppa who was teaching me how to ride a skateboard. “You’re going to get yourself hurt.” He told me with a shake of his head, as he skidded to a stop in his own skateboard. “Sorry. I’m just so happy.” Grinning like a Cheshire cat, I also went down my own board and followed him to one of the benches situated at the side of the rooftop. “Is this about your new job?” Youngbae asked. He leant down behind us and grabbed his knapsack, opening it to look for his bottle of water. I nodded, my smile getting bigger in the process. “I just can’t believe it. I’m working as an assistant to one of the most popular stylists here in Korea. AND I’m training under one of the most prestigious agencies here as well.” I sighed. “I don’t know, I just feel so lucky and I can’t help but be grateful.” To your best friend most especially, I added in my head.

 

Ever since that conversation I’ve had with Ji Eun unnie, I haven’t stopped thinking about Jiyong and what he’s done. Well she didn’t really say that it was Jiyong Oppa who recommended me but she has implied it. And who else would know about my love for fashion and my dream to work for that industry who’s close to Big Bang’s stylist? Didn’t we have that conversation just a few nights ago for Seungri Oppa’s pre - comeback party?

 

“I couldn’t find a better person for the job actually.” Youngbae Oppa told me, his eyes disappearing as he gave me a genuine smile. I thanked him, adding as an afterthought, “Hopefully I don’t it up. It’s such an amazing opportunity, I don’t want to waste it.” I let out a sigh, although this time in distress instead of contentment. “I know you won’t. I’m sure Ji Eun noona will guide you as you start the job, when do you start anyway?”

 

We fell into an easy conversation about my new job as well as his solo comeback, soon after. I propped up one leg after the other as I settled in my seat with my sunbae taking his time drinking his water while checking his messages when our conversation dwindled down. I peered over his shoulder and sure enough, Youngbae Oppa is busy texting CL. It’s a well kept secret between them and a few of their friends. They haven’t been dating for long but you can really tell by how they treat each other that they’re willing to make it work. And plus seeing Youngbae Oppa so sweet to CL just makes you want to coo at them. So CUTE. However they haven’t told anyone from Big Bang yet about their relationship (Boss YG knows already because Youngbae wanted to date CL without breaching her contract with YG which would assure us that she won’t jeopardize her career. See? I told you he’s so sweet!), mainly for the reason that they’re not yet ready for the ribbing they’ll sure get from the boys especially Jiyong.

 

“Norah, Bom’s looking for you according to Chaerin – ah. They’re at the recording studio of Teddy’s right now.” Youngbae Oppa mentioned to me in passing as he continued texting. “Did she say what for?” I asked him. He shook his head and glanced at me. “Yah! What are you still doing here?” He nudged me which caused me to nearly fall on the concrete floor. “Do you really want Bom to blow up again? Don’t make her wait or else she’ll start causing a stampede downstairs.” Youngbae guffawed at the image and I rolled my eyes at him. He then cocked his head to the side when his laughter subsided and gave me a long look. “Why do you call noona your mom? Because I CANNOT picture her being a mother.” He paused for a bit, mulling over what he said and started once more, “Well maybe I can but I’d rather not because I pity her future children, seeing how she’s with you.” I slapped his upper arm in mock admonishment but failed miserably at containing the grin off my face. “Don’t be like that.” I told him, trying in vain to control my amusement. “She’s really nice to me and she takes good care of me. I’d think she’d be a lovely mother but….” My voice died down to mumbling at the last part and Big Bang’s main singer urged me to reiterate what I said with one of his eyebrows raised in a questioning manner. “ButI’mpositiveherkidswillbescarredforlifefromallthecorn.” I told him in a rush and I picked my things from the floor along with skateboard to escape any questions from him. “And you tell me I’m mean!” He called out to me with a laugh as I approached the opposite end of the court which would lead me to the exit of the rooftop. I threw him a sheepish grin over my shoulder before disappearing through the door.  

 

I took off down the stairs, two at a time and hurriedly pressed the Down button in the elevator. Balancing my skateboard on one arm, I fished out for my phone and searched for Momma Bom’s number so I could appease her and to inform her that I’ll be on my way. Jiyong Oppa’s voice repeating one word over the voices drifting through my phone caught my attention when Momma Bom picked up my call. I knew that word by heart because it was one of the first Korean words that Dara unnie had my Korean tutor teach me because according to her, “Your manager loves to say this word as much as his name and Gaho’s so you might as well learn it just in case he starts repeating it to your face.”

 

Hmm, they must be recording for their new album since from what I heard, Oppa will be the producer for two of the title tracks in 2ne1’s new full length album. No wonder they’re at Teddy Oppa’s studio. “Norah baby? Where are you? We need to have another vocal training today because we won’t be able to train you tomorrow since we’ll record day in and day out tomorrow. We’ll do it right now since Jiyong will still have to arrange the music for the track he’s producing for us and our next recording will still be later in the evening.” Bom explained to me over the noise in the background. I can hear Minzy and CL throwing lines at each other as they probably write a verse of their song with Dara unnie’s voice missing in the cluster of noise I could hear through my phone. She’s probably the one inside the booth mercilessly being told by Jiyong Oppa to repeat “AGAIN” whatever she’s singing. “I’ll be there in a few unnie.” I replied to her just in time since the elevator has finally reached my floor and has opened its doors for me. I bid her farewell and a see you in a bit once more as I descended down to my intended floor, where the studios are located. An idea struck me as the elevator doors slid open once more and before I changed my mind, I set down my skateboard. Strapping my knapsack to my back properly, I took off from the inside of the elevator until the far end of the hallway just like how Youngbae Oppa taught me awhile ago. My eyes widened when I nearly crashed to the opening door of Teddy Oppa’s studio, thankfully I remembered just in time how to halt the speeding board. Releasing a relieved exhale, I got down from my board to be met by the disapproving look being thrown at me by a staff who passed by. “I’m sorry.” I told him sincerely with a deep bow, my teeth gnawing at my lower lip. The older man nodded and continued on his way, muttering something under his breath in Korean and I winced at the possible meaning of his mutterings in English. “Tsk, tsk.” I heard someone from my right say. I faced the person who turned out to be CL with her arms crossed and her head shaking from side to side. I gave her a pout and said, “Blame your boymmph!” My sentence got cut off when her hands, freshly manicured from her trip to the salon, covered the entire lower half of my face. “SHH! Jiyong Oppa is here.” She hissed at me with a pointed look. I rolled my eyes and stepped away from her, “I know. Shutting up now your highness.” I made an action showing to her I was zipping my mouth as I made my way inside the studio with her following me. “Your secret is safe with me.”

 

“What secret?” Jiyong Oppa asked me distractedly as he took his eyes away from the computer screen momentarily to see who just walked in. I quickly stepped away from CL’s line of fire before I made a reply to his inquiry. “Oh nothing big. Just the fact that she has over a thousand photos of Teddy Oppa stored in her phone” The combination of a sigh and a grunt from CL’s direction made me smirk at her and the man in question. “That’s no secret. I think it tripled actually.” Jiyong said to me, his eyes dancing in mirth despite it being focused on the equipment laid out before him for his convenience as he does what he does best. CL’s voice increasing in volume as she talked to Minzy and Dara unnie about the lyrics they’re composing did not go unnoticed to the rest of us which made my smirk widen. I plopped down on a swivel chair near the long black couch where ¾ of 2ne1 are currently situated as I surveyed the studio.

 

Momma Bom was gazing at the screen in front of her inside the recording booth, her concentration unwavering. She would mouth a few words and read through the lyrics in front of her again to probably get a feel of how she’ll sing it in the recording.

 

Teddy Oppa was bobbing his head up and down while he composes at the corner of the booth, his hands dancing over the keyboards laden with numerous papers with his writing, covering them in black and blue ink.

 

Right next to him is Jiyong Oppa, busy in arranging a song with a *cough* cute *cough* furrow in his brows. His hands were tapping to an unknown beat on the smooth surface of the table in front of him.

 

“Norah!” Dara unnie’s voice disrupted my line of thought as well as diverted my attention from my pouting manager to her gleaming eyes giving me a knowing look. “I heard that you’re Ji Eun unnie’s new assistant. Congratulations!” The smirk and knowing glance to my manager was something I blatantly ignored as I graciously accepted her congratulations. “You’ll get to style the boys now with her from now on.” She added, her head cocking to the Jiyong Oppa’s direction. This time it was Minzy who prevented the older 2ne1 singer from saying anything more embarrassing than she already has said by nudging her at the side. The slump to Dara unnie’s shoulders and the puff of her cheeks were a sign that she has given up at her teasing. For now. The look she threw me was a sign that more was to come when a certain person has finally left the recording booth. “Unnie, congratulations! You’d be perfect for the job.” Minzy told me sweetly, here eyes becoming crescents as she smiled at me. “I couldn’t think of anyone else who’d be good at assisting Ji Eun unnie at styling Big Bang.”

 

At this Jiyong’s head shot up from its position, his alarmed eyes landing at me. “What styling… Big Bang… WHAT?” His shocked tone threw me off guard. “You mean, you weren’t the one who recommended me to Ji Eun unnie?” I asked him bewildered. He shook his head vehemently and properly faced our direction, his task forgotten at the moment. “What the is Dara noona and Minzy – ah talking about Norah?” The slight edge in his tone made me wary of him. “Ji Eun unnie offered me a job as her assistant in styling Big Bang and I accepted.” I said to him, my voice coming out small. “I thought you were the one who recommended me for the job…”

 

“I didn’t say anything to her.” His frown remaining a permanent fixture in his face as we continued our conversation. I noticed that even Bom unnie stepped out of the recording booth to listen in on to what was being talked about. “You’re the only one who I told about my dream job in- ” My eyes widened. It can’t be possible. I mean he was there when Jiyong Oppa and I were talking about my desire to enter in the fashion industry, but why should he care? Why would he go to lengths in helping me start my career to the point of recommending me to Ji Eun unnie?

 

“What? What is it?” Jiyong Oppa asked, staring at me, watching as my face slackened in surprise. Instead of answering him I looked at CL and asked for her phone. “What is it Norah?” Jiyong Oppa asked once more as he stood up from his chair to come near my distracted figure. Browsing through CL’s contacts (Why is my name in her contacts titled as Baby Corn Spencer?) I halted at a particular person in her list. I called the person and waited with bated breath as the phone continued on ringing. The 2ne1 girls were watching me curiously as well as Teddy Oppa, while Jiyong Oppa was the very definition of antsy with the way he was standing and watching me.

 

“Seungho – ssi?” I murmured when he finally picked up the call. The people inside the booth with me had their eyebrows shot up to their hairlines when the identity of who I called was revealed. “Yes? Who is this?” He replied calmly, unaware of the tense situation on the other end of the line. “I would just like to thank you for recommending me to Ji Eun unnie for the job as her assistant. It means so much to me.” I told him quietly, anticipating his reaction neglecting to mention my name just as he asked.

 

Jiyong’s eyebrows furrowed at my words and he made to grab the phone away from me but I moved out of the way just in time to catch the words that confirmed my theory.

 

“You don’t have to thank me. I know that you’ve always wanted to work in this industry since you were a kid and I can’t think of anyone else who deserves it as much as you do, Norah.” Seungho told me sincerely. “I’ll see you tomorrow then at the meeting for Daesung’s comeback.” I gave out a murmur of consent and put down the phone. I gave it back to CL and the dust Jiyong Oppa left behind as he flew out of the room to God knows where was what greeted me when I faced him to explain about what happened.

 

 

 


 

Another update for you guys :) and it's a fairly long one. I added a twist to the story *cough* about time *cough* like I've  said there is more to come in the coming chapters. The photo I posted for this particular chapter is of Ji Eun unnie and Jiyong at Seoul Fashion Week a couple years back. She. IS. Amazing. :D For the next update, it would be back to Jiyong's POV (OMGGDHASATWITTERACCOUNTFINALLY!!!!). I'd love to hear your comments/ reactions/ feedback :D I promise I don't bite :3 thank you again for reading ^^

- Rexiefauliks