Chapter 18: The Prince of Laidback and His Four Knights

YG Auditions

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The entire YG Building was busier than ever. Idols coming in and out of the building, trainees busy preparing and helping the idols while they’re trained, and actors milling around the building memorizing lines for their next drama if not conducting an interview in one of the rooms inside the building. I was sort of aware with what’s happening within my surroundings but I was more intent on completing this recording with Dae. “One more time, try relaxing before you hit that high note.” I told him over the intercom.

 

Daesung and I have been busy recording and preparing for his album for months now, with me acting as his main producer. Numerous sleepless nights faced me with this new assignment but that’s nothing new and unusual for me. We were nearly done with the recording, all I needed was this last verse and I’ll have it sent to Teddy to arrange into the other recordings of the last song in Dae’s album. I gave him a thumbs up and he started singing it once more. Finally! “Good one Daesung – ah. You got it right.”  I told him with a tired grin on my face. I slouched on my chair and faced the camera that’s been recording what we were doing for YG On Air. Or was it 2ne1 TV? Either way it’s still documenting us as we worked. Why do I always have the worst timing? It’s either I look like the town fool or I look like a mess whenever those damn cameras are around. The cameraman smiled sympathetically at my groan and asked me what was happening. I straightened up and faced him properly to explain what we did and to throw in a cute fit for the fans at my lack of sleep. Oh the things I would do for VIPs.

 

Thankfully the camera was taken out from its focus on me when Daesung stepped out of the recording booth to be interviewed by the camera man for the needed footage. I resumed my work and continued editing Dae’s recording to send to Hyung. Our peace was disturbed though when we heard some commotion coming from outside. Dae and I looked at each other with curiosity mirrored on each other’s faces. Female voices in hushed tones could be heard from the other side of the door and Dae peeked outside to find out what was happening. “Did Won Bin finally switch companies?” I asked him with a grin while I took a spin on my swivel chair. “Sure, if Won Bin was a 6 foot man with blue eyes and black hair.” He replied his face still peeking outside. My brows furrowed at his reply and I stood up from my chair to take a peek as well.

 

Right outside in the hallway, Minzy and CL were leading a tall man with the same characteristics as Daesung described towards one of the recording studios. He was tall and lean, his facial features resembling that of a model. No wonder the noonas are going berserk. HMPH. Aren’t we enough for them? “Hyung,” Dae whispered to me as we continued on watching the three make their way to Teddy Hyung’s studio. “Did we accept another trainee? I haven’t seen him from around here.” I shrugged my shoulders in reply, clueless to his inquiry as well. “Is he a singer?” He asked me once more. “He’s going inside Teddy Hyung’s studio with Minzy – ah and Chaerin – ah.

 

Only one way to find out.” I replied when I opened the door to my own studio to step out and follow after the three. I heard Daesung’s footsteps follow me. I peered inside through the glass door and knocked before opening it. “Ji! What’s up? Yo Daesung! Come in!”  Teddy called out from his seat next to his trusty Mac desktop. The two of us stared at the small gathering inside Hyung’s studio. The entire 2ne1 girls were there as well as the rest of Big Bang. Tablo was sitting next to Teddy and next to him was the unknown guest that CL and Minzy were with awhile ago. As I came closer to them I finally caught sight of what was grabbing their attention.

 

Norah was inside the recording booth holding a music sheet in front of her. She was mouthing the words to herself and when she looked up her eyes landed on the male sitting next to Tablo. It lit up and a huge smile broke across her serious expression and I wondered if the man was her boyfriend. I mean, I don’t really know much about her life before she became a trainee so it’s always a good opportunity to find more about the lives of my trainees. It’s just unnerving that’s all, that I haven’t heard about this man and his relation to her since I thought she was open to me already not just as her manager but as one of her friends. Definitely that’s just what it is. It’s perfectly reasonable to wonder how long they’ve been together and why he’s here.

 

Norah quickly dropped what she was doing and went out of the booth, only to call out, “OPPPAAAAA!” with a huge grin on her face. Seven voices – including my own – responded to her call instinctively and we looked at each other weirdly at what happened. “Not you guys! My real Oppa!” She admonished the seven out of 8 males present.

 

O__________________________O *cough* They’re siblings. Didn’t see that one coming.

 

 “I have a name idiot.” Said the nameless man as he faced his little sister. Norah rolled her eyes at him and started pinching him on the places she could reach since the man was trying to block her with his arm.

 

“ELYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! LET GO!” She shrieked when he retaliated back at her by pinching her cheeks. Ely gave her a smirk and tugged on both her cheeks one last time before letting her go. She growled, literally growled at him and punched the older man’s arm real hard in annoyance. “Stop being an .” And then for nearly a half hour Tablo, Teddy, 2ne1 with Big Bang and I were witnesses to the Spencer Siblings Bickering Match. Norah would throw Ely an insult and the other would retaliate back with a wittier response. Ely would do the same and Norah would either be a smart mouth or would throw cuss words and profanities at Ely in retaliation. My whole body winced whenever I hear Norah bodily threaten her older brother with a glint in her eyes that promised him that she would put into action the torture she’s describing to him and the same could be said to the remaining males inside the room. I even noticed Seungri grabbing his knapsack to cover his s in fear. And this was just half an hour, I can’t imagine what bloody torture that girl can come up with if she were given more time if it weren’t for Teddy Hyung (THANK YOU!) reminding her that she needs to record once more for her training.

 

Shivers went up our spine when she gave us a sweet smile as if she hasn’t said a word that gave 7 males images to fuel their nightmares, before skipping back inside the booth. Silence reigned inside the studio and I noticed the girls giving Norah a proud smile. What the ? “I’m so proud.” Bom actually said out loud, wiping non – existent tears from the corners of her eyes. “Are you kidding me noona!?” Seungri cried, his hunched body at the far end of the couch straightening up once Norah was nowhere him. “I actually felt my shrivel up and hide! Did you hear any of the things she told Ely? Why are you even proud?”

 

Why do you even have to ask? She’s an alien.” Muttered Seunghyun Hyung from his side. Bom slapped his arm harshly when her abnormal sharp hearing picked up Hyung’s mumbling. Tsk, tsk, Bom noona is sitting RIGHT NEXT TO YOU Hyung. What were you thinking? Are you suicidal at the moment?

 

Ely who has been watching our interaction together after his bickering match with his sister chuckled. “Don’t worry. Norah’s bark is louder than her bite. She’s harmless.” He waved off the threats she gave him as if the idea of it isn’t pure torture enough. Must be from experience, since they do know each other better than we do. “I’m sorry I haven’t introduced myself properly. I’m Ely Spencer, Norah’s older brother.” He gave a nod to all of us but I noticed his eyes falling to the ground when the girls greeted him to which he muttered an indistinct reply to. After the girls introduced themselves, the rest of the males inside the studio introduced themselves to Norah’s older brother.

 

“Hello! I’m Daesung of Big Bang.” Dae said as he shook Ely’s hand enthusiastically.

 

“I’m Sol from Big Bang as well.” Youngbae said with a welcoming smile on his face as he turned away from his iPhone where he was busy doing something. Hmmmm, recently Youngbae’s been preoccupied with his phone, texting and calling. Must remember to interrogate him later.

 

“TOP.” Seunghyun Hyung said after Youngbae with a nod to Ely.

 

My eyes narrowed when I saw Seungri clear his throat and I could already feel embarrassment creeping in my face when he clapped his hand to the dance for Strong Baby. “V.I.” He replied trying to play it cool like Seunghyun Hyung but failed miserably since he didn’t know what to do after making that awkward clapping sound. Ely raised one of his eyebrows in amusement and simply gave in to the maknae without commenting on how ridiculous Seungri looked which I would have done in a heart beat. Ely my man, you are a saint for letting such a fantastic opportunity to torture maknae so easily. A lesser man like myself won’t be able to pass up such a chance.

 

“I’m Dan and that’s Teddy. Sorry he’s still preoccupied with Norah’s recording.” Tablo said with a short glance to Ely and the rest of us since he started helping Teddy Hyung and Bom noona train Norah ever since her first recording with him. Ely once more nodded and now it was my turn to introduce myself. Do I say my stage name or my real name? Jiyong isn’t that hard to pronounce but GD might be a better choice. “What’s up GD?” Ely told me with a smirk and all I could do was stare at him stupidly. “Nothing much.” I replied automatically, still surprised that he knew my name. “So Norah’s recording?” Ely asked Tablo, his attention now drawn to his sister singing inside the recording booth instead of looking amused at my gaping face. Smooth Jiyong, real smooth. “Yeah but it’s for her training. Since she’s tone deaf, she has a harder time picking up after a melody and singing it in the right pitch. So we’re recording her voice so we could let her listen to it and point out where she committed a mistake. She has improved a lot since her last recording with me.” Tablo Hyung explained watching the software recording Norah’s voice carefully. “Of course she has, I trained her.” Bom noona mumbled with her nose up in the air. I rolled my eyes and spoke up on behalf of my trainee. “She’s been recording herself like you’ve asked, in her phone. She’d do it again and again until she has corrected her first mistake. She’s been trying to sing using instrumentals as well just to challenge herself and not get distracted by the other singer.” I explained to Ely who nodded, eyes still riveted at his little sister. “Why can’t I hear a thing?” He asked curiously. “Oh, Teddy’s the only one who can hear her. The audio is directed to his headphones. Norah doesn’t like other people listening to her while she records. She might..”

 

“Screech like a cat.” Ely finished with a fond smile playing at his lips, blue eyes alight with mirth. “Yeah.” Tablo said chuckling at Ely’s metaphor. “She said the same thing when she requested that.”

 

“She hasn’t changed at all.” Ely replied before adding, “Could you take the audio out for a bit. I want to listen to her since I know she’ll blatantly refuse if I ask her and begging isn’t really my style.” Tablo nodded and tapped Teddy’s shoulder and in just a few minutes, the entire studio was filled with Norah’s voice singing Tablo Hyung’s song to his wife, From The Bottom.

 

*insert lyrics here*

 

I listened intently to her voice and noticed her faltering when she started rapping at Tablo Hyung’s part. However instead of stopping she continued on recording her brows furrowing as she focused on the music sheet in front of her. “Oppa how was that?” She asked Teddy Hyung when she finished singing and looked expectantly at him. Hyung was about to talk over the intercom when I stopped his hand. “Can I?” I asked him. “It’s on your head when she finds out all of you heard her.” Teddy Hyung smirked at me and offered the mic to the intercom. “You’re breathing at the wrong time that’s why you’re unable to catch up with the beat. That’s why you’re grasping for words while you rap, you’re trying to catch up to the track. Don’t run after it, sing with it. Take your time and fall into a good rhythm while singing.” I told her over the intercom. Surprise flashed in her face when she heard my voice. “Did you all hear me record?” Norah said her voice sounding shaky. “Yes but don’t mind us. We want to hear your improvement. We’re what around 12 people here? Get used to singing with people around you because isn’t that what you signed yourself up for? To perform in front of people?” I told her sternly. And I knew that she won’t argue back judging by how she nodded her head obediently at my words. “One more time.”

 

Tablo played the instrumental version of his song as soon as Norah hesitantly gave him the go signal. My brows furrowed when she stumbled once again on the second verse. “Feel the rhythm Norah, you can hear the beat don’t you?” I told her when I pressed the intercom once more. “Again.”

 

The others were crowding around the four of us and watched Norah closely as well. I sniffed the air from my bent position and looked back to see Top Hyung waving his lit lighter in the air as if he were in a concert. “Hyung what are you doing?” I hissed at him, alarmed at his actions that could lead to getting the room on fire. “Relax, I won’t drop the lighter. She’s clearly nervous. She’s not used to singing in front of many people, remember her callbacks? I’m just trying to help her loosen up. My dongsaeng needs my help.” From my peripheral vision I also noticed Teddy Hyung doing the same thing. I felt someone groping my pockets from behind and when I whipped my head to glare at that person, Seungri simply shrugged and asked for my own lighter. “Don’t beg for help when sajangnim kills you for burning an entire floor. And damn it maknae! Stop man handling me!” I warned Seungri as I surrendered to him my own lighter. A hint of gas burning filled the airconditioned room as the three of them did this and Tablo spoke up from the intercom, interrupting Norah. “Norah, stop for a bit. I’ll come inside.”

 

We all looked at him curiously and I sat on his previous seat anticipating his next action. “Jiyong – ah.” Tablo said through the mic inside the recording booth. “When I I give you the signal, play the song once more, I’ll sing the hook and let her rap, arraso?” I nodded obediently, wondering how it’ll turn out. After giving Norah some few words, we noticed him directing her to look through the window separating us from her, most likely indicating the three idiots with their lighters lit up in the air. A huge and grateful grin spread across her face and we heard her laugh. “Go.” I heard Tablo instruct me and I hit the enter button to let the song start playing. My head started bobbing along to the beat of the song and listened intently to Norah’s voice after Tablo Hyung sang the hook to the song. “, she totally got it.” CL said to all of us as Norah continued rapping. “She just needed to loosen up.” Ely told her from behind me and I couldn’t help but agree to that. Maybe Seunghyun Hyung had a point.

 

Bouncing on her feet after she finished her recording, Norah was still celebrating her success at completely singing Tablo’s song right after he helped her. She dragged Minzy to her feet and urged the younger girl to jump up and down with her. “I did it Minzy!” Two large hands stopped her from jumping and I saw Ely give his younger sister a warning glare. “I didn’t think you’re someone who’ll easily let this improvement get into their heads.” I slowly made a step back, just in case they start another bickering match and Norah decides to put her words into action despite Ely’s assurance to us awhile ago. I even saw Seungri’s bag make a comeback in his lap while at Seunghyun Hyung’s lap, my MCM knapsack made a debut at his crotch. WAIT! THAT’S MY BAG!!! YOU HYUNG. NOW I HAVE TO BURN MY PRECIOUS BAG. (-________________________-)

 

“Of course I won’t. I’m just really happy. I really didn’t think that I’d be able to do it.” She told her brother simply and squeezed Minzy’s hands in her grasp while she gave the other girl a smile. “OH! Since you’re here Oppa..”

 

“I told you stop calling me that. I have a name.” Grumbled Ely.

 

“- let me treat you to lunch. I’m sure you’re hungry already.” Norah continued as if her older brother didn’t talk at all. “Aren’t you still training?” Ely countered as he crossed his arms and gave his younger sister an exasperated look. Now that I think about it, she was packed with training for today and I recall Ji Eun noona asking help from her about something this morning. “Don’t worry, she’s done for today.” I heard Bom noona speak up. “Go ahead, just come into the dance studio tomorrow morning and Hwang Ssabu Hyung told me that you can reduce your visits to thrice a week in his gym anyway. He has another person in mind that he needs to reel back inside the gym because that PERSONhas a comeback soon and is growing too fond of corn recently.” Youngbae added to all of us and like a gunshot Bom noona sped out of the studio as she heard Youngbae’s words with Dara noona being dragged in the process. “BYE NORAH BABY! I’LL SEE YOU TOMORROW!” She called out behind her and Dara could only bid us goodbye hurriedly while she tried to regain her footing. “Is that true?” I asked Youngbae. “Yeah, I talked to him awhile ago after I worked out. He’s hunting her down as we speak.” He told us while chuckling. After this Norah clapped her hands together and ordered her brother to follow her out the door. She bid all of us goodbye and went ahead of her brother without waiting for him. Ely hesitated for awhile and turned to us. ‘Thank you for looking out for her. She doesn’t have any relatives here and my family truly appreciates your companies’ efforts in helping her and keeping her safe. Thank you for welcoming her in your own family.” He told us sincerely and bowed deeply. “Don’t worry Ely! As her self – appointed older brother here in Korea, I will make sure that she’s safe and well taken care of!” Seungri told him happily. “What are you talking about? I’m her brother from another mother here.” Seunghyung Hyung muttered darkly at maknae. I stared at Hyung once more, seriously is he high? Brother from another mother? Where on earth does he get these things??????

 

Ely was debating with himself whether it was a good idea to rely on those two morons when I heard Tablo speak up beside me. “We got you covered man, Teddy Hyung and I will watch out for her for you. Well if you think about it, all of us do. We’re family like you said. We watch out for each other. But in case you need to contact someone from us about her well being, just call me or Hyung.” Ely nodded and thanked them once again with a promise to see us around while he’s visiting Norah. I felt someone clap me behind my back and I looked up to see Ely himself looking down on me. I felt goosebumps rise in my arms at this fleeting moment. Fortunately, Norah came back calling out for her brother and Ely finally gave us a two salute as he left the recording studio to follow his sister.


So in a previous chapter, I mentioned Norah's older brother coming to visit. He'll be around only for two or three chapters I think. You'll get to know his relationship more with Norah and his reason behind his visit in the coming chapters. I'll leave more info about their family in the coming chapters as well. :D Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! :) feel free to comment or subscribe <3

- Rexiefauliks