THIRTYNINE.

Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

=Daegu Nambu Police Station; 2:24 AM=

They have been in the station for hours no one could comprehend anymore and with each passing seconds, Chanwoo can feel his mind fleeting out of sanity. He is driven with excessive worries, panicky and fears over what fate is befalling Hanbin whom the police are still searching with no positive results. Not to mention the tracing they did to the video that’s sent to Chanwoo’s phone an hour before hasn’t reached any conclusion just yet.

 

They are waiting by the conference room; the officers decided that it might be best not to have them lingering around outside the department or else any rumors might stir upon the group once again. iKON is grateful for their consideration and so here they are waiting very patiently for anything that could lead them to the missing leader. Yunhyeong is sitting beside the manager Yunhyuk, at the left of the vocalist is June with Donghyuk. Opposite from them is Bobby, Jinhwan and Chanwoo that just can’t keep his hands from trembling with the slow ticking of the wall clock. He is so lost in his own field of negative mind until a touch on his shoulder by Jinhwan brings him out from it.

 

“You need to calm down, Chanu. I’m sure they will find him soon.” That’s all Jinhwan has been saying to him since the moment they have arrived at the station. He can’t possibly upset the older more by spatting his real thoughts—that in those agonizing seconds they are losing, Hanbin is one step closer to his impending death. Chanwoo bites down the comment though because he doesn’t want to agitate Jinhwan or the rest of his hyungs anymore.

 

“This is taking longer than necessary.” June grumbles from his seat, fatigue clearly drawn on his handsome features. Donghyuk beside him isn’t any less in good condition. “Tracing phone isn’t that easy you know. I’m sure they are doing their best right now.”

 

“But this is taking too long.” June answers Donghyuk’s claim seconds ago, as the former glances to the dancer in a much apprehensive look. “We still don’t know where Hanbin hyung is. Doesn’t that bother you guys?”

 

“Everything is bothering us, June. All of us.” Bobby said taking all attention to him. He sighs aloud, running fingers over his raven hair he has just dyed few days ago. “But panicking would do us no good. So let’s just wait.”

 

So they obey, knowing there is truth in Jiwon’s words. Although as much as Chanwoo despises waiting here, he has no other choices. He can’t run away from here taking Deok Hwan away while being watched by their manager, the man has known by now that Chanwoo is indeed running away from Mokpo where he is supposed to continue on his isolation therapy. Anything Chanwoo does now that is deemed unsafe would only aggravate the tense situation, not to mention they are all still waiting for news of arrival from the psychic.

 

Chanwoo’s thoughts keep fleeting back and forth in between consciousness. He is beyond tired but he needs to stay awake or else he might missed any news about Hanbin. He blames himself entirely for all of this. If only he won’t be such a burden; a weakling, the demon might not choose him as her target and caused all this mishaps to befall onto his beloved one. Now, it’s not just Hanbin but the rest of s have their own fair share of traumatic memories thanks to his ing blessed eyes. Yunhyeong and Donghyuk hurting and hospitalized, undergo so many surgeries and therapies; June, Jinhwan and Bobby been disturbed and other things he wishes for his brain to stop reminding him yet here he is, opening the Pandora Box one by one and laying it all bare upon the table.

 

“This is all my fault.” He mutters lowly yet inside the deafening silence of the room, everybody can hear him. June and Bobby are quick to sit up straighter listening to the shake of his voice. Chanwoo’s whole body is trembling as Jinhwan takes him within an arm for comfort. He sniffles, “If only I was careful enough….if only I was strong enough. Hanbin hyung won’t go missing. S—She won’t take him away.” He fights for the tears to stay hidden behind his lids but the pressure is too much. Chanwoo closes his eyes, one hand over his eyes as an attempt to hide his tears from the rest. Jinhwan’s hand is quick to draw comforting circles over his back, hushing him to stay calm and telling him it is not his fault. That everything happening is out of Chanwoo’s control.

 

And that’s what Chanwoo despises the most in this situation; not being in control. Yet he is controlled instead. This is all the demon’s game, she knows best how to break him apart. She always knows.

 

 

 

 

He doesn’t even realized when did he have fallen asleep but Chanwoo is awakened by the loud knock on the door and few shuffles of clothes on the leather seats around him. He pries his eyes open to witness one of the officers who is with them back in the train station hours ago is standing inside the room. He’s in charge of their case and by the appearance of the policeman, they must have some leads to Hanbin’s whereabouts.

 

“We have done tracing the location and time the video is taken.” The man wearing the black jacket huddling his bulky body is holding a paper in his hands, face stoic of any expression except one Chanwoo could read in between his drowsy state; puzzlement. “The last location of the phone and possibly the owner; Kim Hanbin-shii is at Daegu Station, as we have all known. But the weird thing is….” The officer trails off, his eyes fleeting around to each one of them inside the room. He seems hesitate and unsure, those simple action is enough to make everybody’s hearts beating in fear.

 

“What is it officer?” Yunhyuk inquires out not wanting to drag the time any longer. He knows the importance of finding Hanbin fast and no matter how grave the news is, they need to accept it. Hanbin’s safety comes first and anything that could lead them to the leader is considered a miracle enough looking at what they’re encountering.

 

The officer sighs again, this time finally locking his gaze with Yunhyuk, “We have found out that the time the video is sent to one of yours phone is 3 hours before the footage video is taken. The location is off from radar at that same period.” He pauses, analyzing one by one the confused faces of the members in the room before his eyes landed on the pale Chanwoo standing not far away from him.

 

“But that’s impossible….” Chanwoo utters with shaking voice. “I’ve received the video less than an hour after the CCTV footage is sent to me. A—And the time in the CCTV footage is—”

 

“10:49PM.” Donghyuk cuts him off garnering everybody’s attention to him. “Chanwoo arrived at Seoul at 11:30PM. The first video which is the CCTV where Hanbin hyung is pushed down into the train rails is at 10:49PM. I remember the time in both videos because I’ve checked it.”

 

“Wait a second—” Bobby intercepts with deep frown on his face, the rests mirrored the same expression like his. “Please correct me; the CCTV video shows the time at 10:49PM, which is when Hanbin falls down. Chanwoo receives the same video about an hour after that.” Donghyuk nods his head to clarify Bobby’s claim. Then the rapper becomes pale when another realization dawned on him. “But the officer said the second video that’s recorded by Hanbin’s phone is taken 3 hours before the CCTV caught him falling down on camera……” He stops, and finally everybody sees the point the officer has been giving them. Disbelief and uttermost confusion painted their faces, mouth agape and eyes blinking trying to reel in and connect the dots to the mystery.

 

“H—How is that…..” Yunhyeong stutters with both his hands his hair. It doesn’t make sense. How would it be the video where Hanbin is unconscious under the rails can be recorded even before he is pushed down the same rails?

 

“Could it be an edit? Somebody is playing pranks on us.” June pipes in with eyes bulging out from its socket. He looks around to everybody whose are literally bathed with puzzlement; including the officer himself.

 

“But the person in both videos is Hanbin hyung. There’s no denying it. I know it is him.” Chanwoo spites back almost losing his mind. Something is very wrong here…. what is happening?!

 

“It’s quite possible the perpetrator had set a timer or anything remotely handled through another device to send the video in time before it’s crashed by the train and cut the video off.” The policeman’s deep voice takes everyone to look back at him. “At first, we have concluded the same deduction. Until we’ve discovered the exact time the video is taken.”

 

“And the time is?” Jinhwan asks him, his voice timid and shaken. Much adding up to fuel his anxiety when the officer’s grim face greets them.

 

“Like I said, 3 hours before the CCTV has caught your friend unconscious inside the tracks.” Everyone gapes out not believing his words. He sighs, finding the case much difficult than he has ever expected. Or maybe it’s not?

 

“I need all of you to be honest with me; could there be anyone that hold grudges on you? Because as much as I don’t want to admit it, this almost looks like a scam. Somebody might be pretending to be Kim Hanbin-shii, take the video with the imposter dressing up like him, shoot the video and uses it as a blackmail materials against you.” The words ring out something inside their minds and they know where this is going, because it’s happening again.

 

 

They don’t believe us.

 

 

“Sir, it’s not like that.” Yunhyuk starts to explain. He sounds so sincere and truthful yet the look the officer is giving them screams the otherwise. As if he’s looking at the manager accusing him to be a liar. “Maybe it would sound ridiculous but there’s really something happening to these boys. It involves things that no one would be able to predict or believe but it’s really happening. They are disturbed by ghosts.”

 

“Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I don’t believe in these kids. But how would I report to the higher ups about this? Should I tell them that this is all done by some sort of supernatural things? Demons? Ghosts? Genies?” The officer explains in frustration, the paper is long forgotten on the table as he looks at iKON one by one including the manager with an incredulous look.

 

“But it is the truth. That demon you saw in the CCTV is the one doing all this. She is the one taking Hanbin hyung away!” June remarks passionately pressing on the matter into the officer’s head.

 

“You have to believe in us, sir. Even we know this isn’t done merely by saesangs or haters. This is really her. She is the one behind all this.” Yunhyeong resumes taking in how the situation isn’t favoring them any longer. That the possibility for them to be labeled as fraud could happen—which isn’t something none of them aren’t used to anymore. They’ve been called with so many names by public in regards to the same case in the past. Having same scowls and hurtful words thrown to the face for the umpteenth time isn’t new to them. It doesn’t bother them anymore.

 

What’s bothering them truthfully at this moment is that Hanbin is still nowhere to be found.

 

Long silent filled the conference room until a heavy sigh comes out from the same officer. Both his hands stayed on each side of his waist as he looks at them in defeat. There’s fatigue painting in his orbs and they feel pity for the man to be in charge of such a difficult case. “We need to find Hanbin-shii’s phone, that’s the only way to prove my superiors if this is a scam or not. But we haven’t found it by now, nor Kim Hanbin-shii himself.” He turns away, taking the paper beforehand and stands by the door. “I will try my best to find it and also your friend. In the meantime, please be careful and don’t do anything reckless.” He left soon afterwards, leaving behind 6 young men including the manager holding their own frustration on the lack of evidence to find Hanbin.

 

 

 

 

“Is she capable of doing this?” Chanwoo at one point—whom is struggling against his own tears and anger has asked Deok Hwan standing by his side this entire time. The ghost boy looks appalled to answer him but Chanwoo won’t let it pass by. “Tell me Deok Hwan. Please, I’m begging you.”

 

Looking at Chanwoo’s bloodshot eyes is much harder for the ghost than to stand inside a room with half of the members sobbing their eyes out or restraining themselves to break any chairs or windows. As much as being a ghost gives him so many advantages, he couldn’t just walk on to them relaying comfort to ease their worries. He could do it with Chanwoo; or maybe Donghyuk too since the latter is able to hear him—in which is indeed still a mystery. However, with Chanwoo in such a pitiful condition, the maknae won’t even let anybody touches him, dead or alive.

 

“She’s a demon, Chanu. You know by yourself that they are beings that possess ability no humans have.” He answers carefully, choosing words attentively not to accelerate any negativity inside his friend. Chanwoo has been in too much hell for the past few hours. The last thing Deok Hwan ever wanted is to elevate his friend’s stress level. “But you need to know that they are not and never will be the strongest being in the world. There is a much higher power that even demons can’t fight against. I think you should start believing in that power.”

 

“If I do, will he come back to me?” He looks up to meet Deok Hwan in the eye, those glistening tears barely contained inside the heavy and dark eye bags are painful enough for the ghost boy until he could feel a sharp pain inside his dead heart. It kills him to witness Chanwoo; his most trustful, funny and always level-headed friend falling into this pit of depression. Deok Hwan kneels down by one leg, a hand resting over his friend’s thigh though he knows no warm he could give to the other. Yet he is certain the other could see the sincerity in his small act.

 

Inhaling another gush of air and courage Deok Hwan said, “It is a tough time but you shouldn’t feel discouraged. There is always solution to every problems. You can only see one when you start putting your belief in something that’s far powerful than you.” He doesn’t know if the other could understand his words or not, but damn he won’t stop now. “Have courage Chanwoo, I used to chicken out too when I'm still alive but after I come back as a ghost; though it still because I can’t enjoy my old life, there’s still joy in them. For example, I found you. You’re my friend now and I won’t change that for anything. You can always find something good inside hardships. So have faith on good things, everything will be fine with Hanbin.”

 

“That’s not enough. He’s still out there, somewhere I don’t know about his state. How can I be at peace knowing he’s hurting?!” Sobs escape Chanwoo while he fists one hand clenching it around his mouth. He doesn’t want the others to hear him crying. But everything is so hard he can’t possibly breathe properly anymore. It’s all so messed up. He doesn’t know where to start looking for Hanbin. A small squeeze over his thigh brings his attention back to Deok Hwan who is still kneeling. He looks at Chanwoo with sympathy yet affirmation in his orbs. It’s taking all Chanwoo’s swirled mind away into those dark lifeless orbs.

 

“We live this life without knowing what will happen tomorrow, nor in another few years. But we are still living it. What’s the different now? We work hard and harder but the result is not upon us. We can only accept what’s given to us at the end of the day. It might sound like I’m telling you to drop all this to Fate but that doesn’t mean you should give up. Even the smallest action gives out impressive result. Believing in yourself and other powers stronger than you can give much affect to the demon, trust me. I know because I am a ghost. It gives so many courage to you to continue on living and work harder than ever.” Deok Hwan squeezes his friend’s thigh once again, “So don’t give up and don’t let her win. Don’t ever think of how powerful she is. Think about how remarkable your effort and wills to find Hanbin. I am certain you will be able to reach him.” That helps putting a small smile on Chanwoo’s face. Deok Hwan is relieved to see his coaxing works on uplifting his friend's spirit. He could feel by the corner of the room Donghyuk is looking at him too. His teary eyes somehow glinted with newfound light. He walks over to both Chanwoo and Deok Hwan.

 

“You’re right, we shouldn’t give up just yet.” He said and his voice is loud enough to gather the other members’ attention. Donghyuk turns to look at them. “We can’t just sit here and do nothing. We have to find Hanbin hyung.” Jinhwan, Bobby, Yunhyeong, June and Yunhyuk could only look at him with dumbfound expression. The two eldest are quick to wipe the tears off their cheeks as they stand up from the chairs.

 

Yunhyeong speaks timidly. “But we don’t even know where to start….”

 

“Anywhere is a start.” Donghyuk said. “It’s better rather than huddling up here and crying our eyes out. We need to do something.”

 

“Maybe we can try and look around the train station first. We can ask few ghosts there!” Donghyuk turns back towards Chanwoo when he hears that voice belongs to Deok Hwan. The solemn Chanwoo is staring at the empty space on his side. Like he’s looking directly at someone.

 

“I don’t think they will help us, Deok Hwan-ah.” He whispers not to let the others hear him.

 

“I will ask them. Maybe they are much comfortable talking to me. You know, ghost to ghost.” Donghyuk swears the boy sounds cute but he can’t afford to laugh at this dire moment. He watches Chanwoo still debating with the idea.

 

“But Daegu is a big place. How is those ghosts going to help us find him?” Donghyuk asks to Deok Hwan whom he can’t see but hear him clearly to have his answers in the next few seconds. “Who knows maybe they’ve seen what has happened at the platform. And some ghosts are quite good at searching for people you know. It’s like a hidden talent to us.” Smugly he said, much to Donghyuk amusement. He nods his head agreeing with Deok Hwan’s idea.

 

“It’s a start I guess.” Donghyuk utters and an agreeing hum from Deok Hwan follows suit. Meanwhile, the rest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter