Chapter 1: Lifeless

The Lively Guys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: Lifeless

[SungYeol POV]

They say that those who pass away are going to another life. A better life. That's what my mom told me after my father passed away from some crazy bastard who drunkenly crashed into our car. My dad and I were in the car that night. Unfortunately, my dad didn't make it.

It's been a month since my dad became lifeless. Or perhaps me. I felt lifeless instead. Maybe the little left of childhood died after seeing my dad die that night in my arms.

My heart ached everytime I passed by our parents' room. Only Mom would be in there.

Life's been... well... lifeless. Now Mom says we have to move to a new town, to get ourselves a smaller and cozier home. But I saw through her lie. She didn't want me to keep replaying the same scene in my head. I couldn't even walk to school without crying because I had to pass that intersection where my dad died when I walked to school everyday.

She wanted a fresh start. A suburb out of Seoul. Maybe it was for the best. My only concern was trying to fit in to a new school. I think everyone would have friends and cliques already. Was there even room for me?

---

It's only three days before Hoya and my first day of senior year of high school. I'm definitely dreading the day to come...

"Yeol-ah," Mom whispered, "Can we talk?"

I nodded as I closed HoWon's bedroom door. He fell asleep while making music again. I came over to Mom.

"Well... I just wanted to thank you, Yeol-ah. I'm glad you and Hoya are adjusting well to our new home despite such short notice... And Yeol, thank you so much for helping me... with everything."

"I know it's hard, with dad gone and all," I said, lowering my head, "I'm just trying to get things back to normal."

"Are you feeling better, sweetie? Your headaches are getting better, right?"

I've been getting migraines ever since the accident. But they have gotten better, I'll admit.

I nodded, "I'm fine, Mom. So what did you want to talk about?"

"Well..." She pointed to a cloth on top of a box in the corner of the living room, "I got you two a gift."

I walked over and pulled off the cloth. I gasped.

"Mom, a hamster?!"

"I... I thought it would be a nice addition to the family. Hoya will really enjoy it, and I think you will, too. I just thought it would make you guys happy."

I laughed, "Thanks, mom, but I think you're the one who makes me happiest."

"Aww, our little Yeollie is all grown up~"

She pulled me into a hug. I patted her back.

---

The next morning.

"Gyu gyu gyu!!" Hoya cooed as he adored the tiny hamster in the cage, "Ms. Lee, Gyu is nibbling on the food I put in!"

Mom smiled, "You really like Gyu, huh?"

Hoya nodded briskly and continued to watch the little hamster drink water.

Hoya always had an affinity for animals. He loves our family cat Seok, and now he's probably going to love the new hamster Gyu, too.

"Hey, are you two planning on going anywhere today?" Mom asked.

"Where would I go?" I laughed, "I have no friends here besides Hoya and no place I know around here!"

Mom frowned and then opened her wallet. She handed me 40,000₩.

"How about you go explor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter