Mystic Man

Romantic Cliché

CHAPTER 05

Mystic Man

 

 

 

 

Everything happened in a blur, and Taeyong found himself seated in the same place, but Haechan was now in front of him, looking like he was the most important person in that room. Well, technically, he was. Jaehyun made him cover his face with his black hoodie and dimmed the lights. 
 

Now, from Haechan's point of view, his hoodie covered his eyes and the rest of his face by shadow, and he was awestruck. The youngest gave Jaehyun a nod and a thumbs up. The CEO knew what he meant.

"Stay there and wait for the others to come," Jaehyun said with authority that made Taeyong nod. It felt like the former was ready to shoot him with a single wrong move. He looked down.

Moments later, they could hear voices coming from outside, then came the three remaining NCT bosses. They were joking and laughing when they entered and greeted Jaehyun, not noticing Taeyong. It was Johnny who first acknowledged Haechan. Then his eyes met the figure of a man in a black hoodie. He looked away and looked back once again, so fast that his neck almost broke. He gaped at the person sitting and went speechless. Yuta and Taeil noticed Johnny's silence and followed where he was looking. Seconds later, they got the same reaction. Yuta was the first one to say a word.

"M-Mystic Man."

Taeyong slowly lifted his head when he heard the name, and his hoodie dropped off his head. His eyes met the eyes of the three newcomers, and Yuta felt his legs lost their power. He almost fell to the ground if he didn't hold Taeil's arm, who was also looking at Taeyong like he was some apparition on time. Johnny was on the verge of tears, and the presence of the person in the black hoodie was making him paralyzed. He swore he couldn't move a muscle. 

"Jae, Mystic Man is using his powers on me. I can't keep my eyes off him. I'm going to die soon." Yuta stammered. The other two seemed to agree with him, even Taeil, which surprised his brother.

Jaehyun smirked and said, "You're overreacting. Sit down."

"I can't move." it was Johnny.

They were hopeless, or maybe they just played Against the Gods too much. Jaehyun sighed and told Taeyong to pull up his hoodie and cover his eyes once again. He then switched on the standard lights. Like in the game, the three guys started to move like someone lifted the curse. 
Haechan hurriedly went beside his brother and hooked his arm to his, giving his seat to the three guys. Johnny, Taeil, and Yuta sat in front of the brothers like their energy was out from their bodies.

"I want you to meet Lee Taeyong. The face of Mystic Man."

Taeyong looked at Jaehyun questioningly. He had not said yes yet, but he couldn't correct Jaehyun.
Taeil, now in the normal state, asked, "He's the same guy this morning, right?"

Jaehyun nodded.

"How come we didn't recognize him? Are you sure he's the same person?" Johnny seconded.

"He was sweaty this morning," Yuta answered Johnny's question, and Taeyong frowned at him. Not pleased with his words. Of course, he was sweaty. He ran nonstop from his work to the school.

"Jaehyun, the media will go crazy with him." Taeil, who was back to his normal state, once again said, and Jaehyun agreed. 

"But I would not let the media meet him," he then said.
Taeyong felt relieved. If he accepted the job, at least his face won't be all over the news.

"How about the reveal?"

"We will show them the face of Mystic Man as they wanted." Jaehyun will not let the media feast on Taeyong. He wouldn't allow it.

"They will ask for more."

"Then we will give them more pictures, and Mystic Man will now be seen whenever he uses his power at the game." 

The three gave up. Jaehyun already made up his mind, and they saw something in his eyes for the first time. Johnny, Taeil, and Yuta knew that they would be seeing Taeyong for a very long time.
"E-excuse me?" Taeyong suddenly said, and all eyes were him. "Can I think about this first?"

 


***


 

"You turn down their offer?" Ten almost had a heart attack when he heard what Taeyong just told him and their other friend, Doyoung. 

It was the next morning, and the three of them were in the café that Ten owned. Taeyong's first job of the day, and he worked as a barista like his other best friend, Doyoung.
The three of them met when they were in high school. Ten was a transferred student back then. Taeyong and Doyoung were the first friends he made, and the three were inseparable ever since. Ten's parents were businessmen, and they own that coffee shop that Ten managed. Doyoung was just an ordinary guy struggling in university.

Taeyong handed Ten his daily dose of caffeine, just like how he wanted it. "I didn't technically turn it down. I said I'd think about it."

Ten looked at him like he just told him a stupid joke. "That's the same."

"It's not."

"Doyoung, please tell this friend of yours that he just turn down the offer."

Doyoung, who was at the counter, joined the conversation for the first time. Peak hour was over, and they were just a few customers at the café to freely talk, and besides, their best friend was the owner. "He said what he meant. Taeyong will think about it. You heard him."

Ten gave his two friends an exasperated look. "Guys, those kinds of jobs are once in a lifetime. You have to get it the moment it was offered, or else someone else will snatch it from you. You are lucky because it was served to you on a silver platter by the CEO himself, and you dare to tell him that you'll think about it?"

Doyoung rolled his eyes. "Your friend is a diva. I wonder if his current boyfriend broke up with him again," he whispered to Taeyong, who was beside him but loud enough to reach the ears of the diva among the three of them.

The said diva almost choked on his coffee. "Excuse me, Youngie, he didn't break up with me. I broke up with him!" he pouted afterward, remembering what he just encountered from last night with his now ex-boyfriend.

Taeyong took it as a chance to divert the topic. "You broke up with him?" he asked in fake concern, but Ten didn't buy it.
"I don't have time for my nonexistent love life, but I have all the time in the world to talk about the opportunity you just wasted, young man." 

At least Taeyong tried.

"Winwin will not be happy about it. We haven't told him about the offer to Haechan yet, and I don't want him to hate me because I sign a contract I know nothing about."

Doyoung and Ten looked at each other. It was because of Winwin, after all. The two guys had something to say, but they chose to stay silent because Taeyong has many burdens already, and they didn't want to add to it. The guy was devoted to his brothers and will sacrifice everything to see them happy, even his happiness.

Doyoung looked at Taeyong and held both of his shoulders. Now the two were facing each other. "Tell me the truth, Tae. You want the job," It was more of a statement than a question, actually, and Doyoung could almost hear his answer. 

Taeyong just looked down, purposely avoiding his friend's gaze. Doyoung can make him tell the truth, and it was working. "Chan said I could quit my other jobs if I accepted the offer."

"That's not my question, Tae."

That was when Taeyong looked up and looked Doyoung straight in the eyes and said, "Yes."

 

***
 

The moment Ten heard Taeyong's answer, he was dragged out of the café, literally. He was still in uniform, and they left Doyoung chuckling. Of course, the latter didn't mind handling the café alone if his friend's future was at stake. 
How can Ten be this strong? He thought. His pleads were left unheard, and he panicked when he recognized the building they just entered. 

 

Unlike Haechan, Ten used his inner diva to intimidate the lady at the reception. He looked at her like he was the most important person that needed to be attended to. Much to Taeyong dismay, it worked, and they didn't even give the lady the chance to lift the phone. All Ten needed was the floor number, and the lady gave it to him, no questions asked. Taeyong tried his best to bow to her to apologize for the behavior Ten just displayed, but he dragged him to the elevator again. Once they entered, there was no turning back, and Taeyong suddenly feared for what was coming.

Ten opened the enormous wooden door without even sparing a glance at the digital intercom. Taeyong wondered why they didn't lock it, and the two rooms made of glass greeted the two once again. It was the only time his friend let his hand go. Taeyong massaged his aching wrist and was led the way to the CEO's office.  Like the first one, it was an unlocked door.
 

The CEO, who was seated in his chair, looked at them like he was expecting them. One of the three guys from yesterday was with him. Taeyong remembered his name, Johnny.

"Hi, I'm Ten Chittaphon, and I am Lee Taeyong's manager. We're here to sign the contract about the job you offered him yesterday. I apologize for his bravery. I hope that you haven't changed your mind yet." Ten started while Taeyong shook his head and bit his lower lips, which amused the CEO.

Of course, Jaehyun took Ten's words and got the contract from his drawer prepared and handed it to the said manager.

"I see no one perfect for the job except for Mr. Lee." He meant it in more ways than one. "By the way, Mr. Chittaphon, I would like you to meet my colleague, Johnny Seo."

Ten's attention from the CEO diverted to the fine gentleman who was now in front of him.

"Oh, hi there," Ten said with an extra twinkle in his eyes. Taeyong fought the urge to smack his friend at that moment. 

Johnny showed his smile that makes every woman and man swoon, including Ten, of course. He offered a handshake in which Ten was more than happy to accept. "I'm Johnny Seo, the Vice president of NCT Corporation. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." Ten said, just like Jaehyun, he meant it in more ways than one. "I'm Ten Chittaphon, the president of Dream Bean Café."

The handshake and the smile were getting more prolonged than expected, so Jaehyun faked a cough to get their attention. He succeeded, but the Ten had another plan. He took something from his pocket, his cute colorful calling card, and handed it to Johnny with a wink. 

"I believe we will see each other more often from now on since Taeyong will be working here."
Johnny nodded in agreement. "I'm looking forward to that."

"And I'll be waiting for your call." Ten flirted shamelessly.
 

Taeyong wanted the ground to swallow him alive.
 

The moment Johnny left the office was the moment Ten finally went to his professional mode. He dared flirt with the vice president in front of the CEO.

He carefully read the contract and patiently explained it to Taeyong, who just nodded all the time, without really listening. He knew That contract sealed his fate, and there was no use to object. 

All that time, Jaehyun was watching them, or more like watching Taeyong. The guy's presence was making the big boss's heart flipped.

He was just good at hiding it. It would take him a lot to practice to get used to Lee Taeyong's captivating presence. What made it worse was that the latter was unaware of it.

Moments later, the new manager and Taeyong signed the contract.

He was officially the face of Against the Gods' Mystic Man. There was the usual handshake between the manager and the CEO. But when Jaehyun shook Taeyong's hand, there was a force the former could not explain. Electricity, spark, he wasn't sure what it was, but of course, he tried to look unfazed, cold, and professional. 

Jaehyun then ushered them to the door. The manager was already outside, and Taeyong was about to step out when Jaehyun suddenly blocked his way and whispered in his ears.

"You look good in your uniform."


 
aejae22