Decision

Romantic Cliché

CHAPTER 16

DECISION

 

 

"Marry me."

Taeyong didn't know whether to laugh or to continue to shed tears because he thought the man in front of him just went nuts. He wiped his tears and looked at Jaehyun with renewed determination with what just he heard. For a long while, he just stood there, staring at his former boss while contemplating the right words to say.

"I may be poor, but I'm not desperate," he finally said.

His statement stunned Jaehyun for a second, but the CEO stood his ground and responded with a look that no one had ever seen. Not even his best friends or even business partners had seen that kind of look. The look of pure determination to get what he wanted and the willingness to risk everything to get what he wanted, not thinking about the consequence of his actions.

Jaehyun had never wanted something this bad or, in this case, someone. If Taeyong was determined, he, too, was equally determined. Jaehyun was ready to move heaven and Earth and even sell his soul to the devil to get Taeyong. That kind of desperation was eating his life that very moment. Taeyong was determined, but Jaehyun was desperate, and a desperate person will use the most desperate measures just to slain its prey. Jaehyun was waiting for an opportunity to knock on his door, and Mark and Haechan just happened to serve it to him on a silver platter.

"And the offer will only last until tomorrow, and I tell you, my patience is not that long."

"No, I will not marry you. I will find the needed amount, and we will face each other in court." Taeyong banged his palms on Jaehyun's table.

If the action was to frighten Jaehyun, Taeyong got it wrong. Jaehyun just found him amusing, and he couldn't wait until tomorrow.

"Then I'll give you until tomorrow. I want the exact amount I told you on this table tomorrow, same time, and bring a lawyer with you so we can talk about the charges against Haechan."

The mention of Haechan's name caught Taeyong off-guard, and Jaehyun saw the quick change of emotion in his eyes. He hated the troubled look of the man, especially if he was the one who caused it. But it was his only way for Taeyong to be his.

"And I hope you'll bring with you all of your evidence because I'm ready with mine. I will not stop until Haechan pays for what he did to Mark.

Taeyong finally lost it.

"I told you it was not Haechan's fault!" he screamed, which only fueled the cunning man's determination to weaken Taeyong's stand.

"Then find evidence to prove his innocence, and if you win this case, no one from NCT will bother any of your brothers and you anymore."

With nothing to say, Taeyong stormed out of that office without looking back, pissed and angry at Jaehyun. 

"And you only have until tomorrow," Jaehyun said while he exited, but Taeyong didn't bother to turn back anymore.
Jaehyun smiled in satisfaction as he dialed a very familiar number on his phone.

"Tell Uncle Yunho that I will visit him this week with my fiancé."

***

"Fifty million won?" Ten widened his eyes in disbelief. "Where are you going to use that amount?"

"Please don't ask questions. I need that amount tomorrow," Taeyong pleaded. Both Ten and Doyoung stopped what they were doing at the counter and looked at Taeyong with worry.

"Tae, what happened?" Doyoung asked with concern. "You've been acting strange lately. Is there a problem? Can we help?"

Taeyong nodded in excitement, a glimmer of hope sparkled through his eyes.

"Yes!" He replied. "You can help. Fifty million, Doyoung and a good lawyer."

"A lawyer?" Ten shrieked. "Taeyong, don't tell me you killed someone, and the law is after you."

The man wiped his face in desperation and looked at Ten straight in the eyes. "You told me your new boyfriend has connections, right? M-maybe he can help me find a good lawyer or even lend me 50 million. I-I promise to give it back as soon as possible. I can even work for him if he wants to. I need that amount and a lawyer. Please help me." He looked at Ten and Doyoung with bloodshed eyes and a shaky voice. Ten held both of his shoulders. He sat him on a stool in front of the counter to calm him down. Doyoung went to get him some water in which Taeyong refused to drink. 

"I am alright. I need that amount as soon as possible."

"But why? What for? If you tell us why you need that money, maybe we can reduce the amount or even work for it. Fifty million won is no joke, Taeyong. I can sell this café, but my parents will kill me for sure. I'm sure Doyoung can't help you either because of Kun. We can raise that amount but not until tomorrow."
"Then just tell your boyfriend to find me a good lawyer."

"I can't, Tae."

"Why?"

As if on cue, the bell chimed, signaling that someone entered the shop. Doyoung automatically went into work mode while Ten looked like he saw a ghost.
"Ten, babe. I finally found your café. I wanted to surprise you and take you out for dinner since my boss suddenly sent us home early."

"B-babe?" Taeyong looked at Ten, eyes full of questions.

The man looked at the one who talked since his attention was on Ten since he entered the café and was surprised to see Taeyong.

"Oh, Taeyong-sshi." Ten told Johnny that Taeyong's shift was in the morning, and it was 3:00 pm already.

"Johnny Seo."

"I-It's nice to see you here. Ten did not mention that you would be here," Johnny said, slowly getting nervous at Taeyong's reactions. He could also tell that Ten wished for the ground to swallow him alive. It was the wrong timing.

"You're Ten's new boyfriend?"

"Y-yes."

"Johnny," Ten warned, but it was too late to back out. Sooner or later, Taeyong was going to find out about it. But Ten wished it would be under normal circumstances, not when Taeyong was in a bad mood.

"Since when?" The still flabbergasted Taeyong continued.

"Taeyong, it's not what you think." Trying to fix the situation, Ten went beside Taeyong. However, the latter moved away, hurting his friend in the process, but he continued. "We first met when you signed the contract at NCT."

Taeyong nodded, but the acceptance Ten was looking for wasn't there. "I thought so. It took you this long to tell us, or maybe I'm the only one who's clueless about it?"

"No, Tae. We are planning to-"

"Stop. You don't have to explain. It's your life. Do what you want."

Taeyong decided that it was his time to leave and realized that he wouldn't get any help from any of his friends. He did not have time to feel hurt and sulk for Ten not telling them about his relationships like he used to. Time was ticking, so he decided to hurry.

***


The sun was about to set when Jungwoo and Yeri met with Taeyong at a nearby park. The latter was sure the two would never think twice about helping him and Haechan.

"Hyung," Jungwoo started. "All the CCTV recordings were erased. This morning, the principal called for an emergency meeting and told us that all the recordings were suddenly gone. Someone hacked the system, and they're investigating it now."

Yeri nodded in agreement. "Nobody knows the reason why something like that happened since they protected the system."

Taeyong's chance of having a piece of evidence just flew out the window. But he still won't give up. Jungwoo and Yeri will surely testify for Haechan.

"Oppa," Yuri looked down and almost in tears when Taeyong told them about Haechan's situation. "Please don't tell Haechan about this. You know we are willing to help. Jungwoo and I will do anything for Haechan," She said, earning a nod from Jungwoo and a hopeful smile from the oldest. "But the principal called us this morning after the emergency meeting. He told us that we would lose our scholarship if we testify against the Jung Monkey. He also told us that Appa might lose his job since he sold his company to NCT Corp."

On the verge of tears, Jungwoo also told Taeyong his sentiments. "The principal also told us that my parents' business might get closed. NCT was planning to buy all the lands in our area, including ours. My parents worked hard for that business, and they would be devastated if we're going to lose it to NCT."

Taeyong's hope instantly shattered. He would not, in any way, for the two to do something that will cost them their scholarship or even their livelihood. 

He fell into deep thought. He had no properties to sell to pay for the needed amount. No lawyer will work for free, and all the evidence and witnesses he was sure to have were gone. Jaehyun was ruthless. 

"Oppa, what is happening? Are they going to sue Haechan for what happened to Mark? We wanted to help."

Taeyong forced a smile to ease Yeri's mind. "No one is going to sue or take Haechan away from us. Don't worry. I won't allow them." He didn't know if that statement was to convince Yeri or himself. But one thing was sure. 
Luck was not on his side.

***

The night, Taeyong didn't fell asleep at all, not even a single wink. He stood up early and cooked breakfast for his brothers. He was still not talking to Winwin, but he hugged him so tight before leaving for school. Winwin smiled for the first time since that incident. He didn't even know what to think of and went to school happy and in high spirit.

Haechan, on crutches, hugged him back tightly when it was Taeyong's time to go to work. He told him to take care, but his brother didn't plan to go to work. He went straight to the NCT Tower.

***


Winwin just got off the bus when he spotted a familiar black car in front of their school gate. He got nervous and walked faster than usual, keeping his head down, but the man, who was standing beside his car, spotted him already. He blocked Winwin's way when the younger tried to change his direction. He was fast enough to grab his arm gently and made him look at him.

"Good morning, honey. Going to school?" Yuta greeted, flashing his signature smile that all the girls and even boys who were passing by giggled.

Winwin ignored them and tried to continue walking, but Yuta stopped him once again.

"I was just asking if you're going to school." Yuta faked a pout, and this time, Winwin didn't hold himself back. He kicked Yuta's shin, which made him shrieked in pain. 

"No, I'm not going to school. I'm going to sell drugs." 

Yuta frowned. "Excuse me? That's bad."

Winwin scoffed at the stupidity of the guy in front of him.

"For a financial head, you're stupid."

"Aww, you remember what my job is."

"That's because you kept rubbing it on my face when we... when we..." Winwin didn't continue and looked away. Yuta decided not to about it.

"Do you want me to rub something else?" Yuta wiggled his brows suggestingly, and Winwin saw red, and his knees went flying straight to Yuta's crotch. The older didn't see it coming, so his eyes almost came out of their sockets as he tried to hold on to his precious jewels.

"Goodness, how are we going to make babies if these are damaged." Winwin was amazed that Yuta was still able to talk straight despite the pain he just gave him.

"Next time, I'll cut your and feed them to dogs."

"." Yuta teased, still in pain.

Winwin just ignored him and walked his way to the gate. He was getting late, and because of pain, Yuta wasn't able to follow him. Still, he yelled that he would wait for the younger to go home so they could have dinner together, to which Winwin responded with a middle finger without looking back.

"No, honey. That's my job." Yuta smiled before hoping his way back to his car to go to work. He also had to prepare himself for their dinner date and hoped Winwin would be in the mood to come with him.

***


Jaehyun smiled in victory the moment he saw Taeyong entered the building. He prepared himself to face the guy, and after a few minutes, Taeyong stood in front of him.

"You're late. I was about o call my lawyer." Jaehyun started and got no reaction from the man in front of him, so he continued. "I supposed you have the money and the evidence you were telling me about yesterday." Jaehyun could see that the man wasn't holding anything, but he still asked the obvious.

"I don't."

"Then shall I call my lawyer then so we could report what happened to Mark?"

"You won't," Taeyong answered straightly. He was about to cry, for he was about to sell his soul to the devil to save Haechan.

Jaehyun loved every bit of it. He could almost smell his victory, and he was ready for it. He waited his whole life to be with the man he dreamed about finally, and Taeyong was just a few inches away from him, about to tell him the words he wanted to hear.

"And why is that?"

"I'm going to marry you."

aejae22

***********************************************************

Hi, sorry for the late update. 

I was overwhelmed and inspired with your comments.

Please keep them coming.

There's going to be another update tomorrow and you know what's going to happen next, right?