The Calm Before...

Romantic Cliché

CHAPTER 36

THE CALM BEFORE...

 

 

A few days later, Taeyong was back on his feet again like he was never sick. How? He just woke up feeling better, glowing and in his best self. Unlike his husband who was still in bed, recovering from lost sleep and exhaustion for taking care of him.

It was a nice seeing Taeyong healthy once again. He was back on the kitchen cooking for Jaehyun and doing household chores like he used to before he took the drug. He hadn’t met Winwin again since he last visited him and surprisingly, Taeyong wasn’t that affected anymore. He let the new couple do their thing and for once, the older brother chose not to care. Winwin has his own life, and he has a husband to take care of him. Taeyong wasn’t really needed anymore. He has his own husband to take care of, too.

It was a new day. One kiss and Jaehyun left their home to come back to work. He went out on a very happy, and light mood only to get frustrated and angry at the things that welcomed him at the company.

Every employee was careful with their words because their monster boss was back and they had to prepare for their business trip to Japan in a few weeks. That meant a lot of reports must be prepared.

Yuta was efficient with his job. Getting all the jobs done just in time to hand the report to his furious boss. Taeil was chilling like the office was not in chaos, and getting his work done without exerting too much effort. Johnny was the worst. He was too stressed and too quiet for Jaehyun’s liking. It was the first time Johnny acted that way, and for a moment his boss felt bad for leaving all the works to him.
 
In spite of all the chaos, there was only one person that made Jaehyun lose his cool. He knew that his employees and his best friends did their best to fill the position he temporarily left to take care of his husband. That was something to be thankful for. Not Murayama, though. The old man was as stubborn as a mule. No matter how many times his proposal got rejected he kept on coming back to NCT. 

That proposal was the first thing Jaehyun saw when he stepped into his office, and all hell broke loose. How the old man managed to enter despite the ban, was a mystery to the employees and it took them three security guards to finally get him out. Jaehyun decided they needed more guards and perhaps a restraining order.

It was uneventful nonetheless. Taeyong was back into his old self, and Jaehyun was busy preparing for their business trip to Japan. It was one trip that he didn’t really want to attend because he decided not to bring his husband with him. He could, but he was worried that his time was going to be consumed strictly on the business and he wouldn’t have time for Taeyong. It was a hard decision, but he managed. Doyoung and Kun were going to stay with him since Taeil was also going. 


Few more days past and the guys had their bone marrow tested. Taeil, Jaehyun, Mark and even Johnny and Yuta had theirs tested. It was something that Kun’s parents were thankful for. Now, all they got to do was to wait for the results to come out. It was going to be released on the day they arrive from Japan. Taeil had something huge to look forward to.


On the other hand, Ten’s mood went down drastically. He hadn’t talked to Doyoung and Taeyong because he didn’t like to bother them with his problem with Johnny and also because the two were busy with their own lives. He believed that it was his fault, so he was going to suffer alone for it.

His focus was solely on his café and Johnny. He was still staying at his former lover's house, share his bed and eat together like a real couple, but the reality was that they were broken and Ten feared that it was beyond repair. That was the reason why he was exerting so much effort to save what was left of his relationship with Johnny.

 

 

***

 

 

Mark and Haechan were in their usual spot at the rooftop, talking about possible ways on how Mark can leave the building without getting spotted by anyone. The Jungs basically owned the building so everyone knew the brothers, especially the securities.  Leaving the building without his brothers getting informed was nearly impossible for Mark, especially in his state. He was still stuck in his wheelchair.

Winwin was another problem for Haechan. They were attending the same school, and since the older was a senior, they were the one in charge of the festival. They may succeed in bringing Mark to the festival without anyone noticing them from the building, but Haechan was sure Winwin was going to see them.
 
They were running out of ideas and Mark was ready to give up.
 
“I think you should attend the festival without me. Everyone knows me here, and I’m sure my brothers won’t allow me to attend it since you’ll be there,” Mark said with much regret.
Haechan shook his head, not wanting to accept the suggestion.

“We still have three days to think about a way. I won’t attend the festival without you.”

“But how about Jungwoo and Lucas? You’ve been planning for their date for so long now. Don’t tell me you’re just going to leave everything to Yeri.”

“So you want me to leave you here stuck in your wheelchair while we enjoy the festival and pissing off those two monkeys?” 

“Be careful with the monkey thing, it’s still a sensitive topic,” Mark mocked hurt, and Haechan laughed while shaking his head. There was no way he was going to leave the guy.

“We’ll think of a way, and you better help me since you know this building more than I do. We will just take a taxi since you can't ride the subway and Lucas won't be able to get us.”

Mark just nodded. He was looking forward to that festival, and he was sure to be disappointed if something wrong was going to happen.

 

 

***

 

 

“How’s your back?” Taeyong asked Jaehyun, who just had his bone marrow tested after he swallowed his pasta. 

His husband insisted on going out for dinner. He said he wanted to enjoy his time with Taeyong since he wasn’t going to see him for a few days because of their business trip to Japan. It was going to be their first time to be separated since they got married.

Taeyong’s heart fluttered at the gesture. He was no longer suffering from the effects of the P2 drug still his husband was treating him like he was the most fragile thing in the world.

Jaehyun looked up from eating, and their eyes met. That moment, it was Taeyong who felt like melting.

“It’s okay now. It’s not hurting anymore.”

Taeyong nodded. The bone marrow test was a procedure he had done before, including Ten, Winwin and Haechan so he can say that he was an expert when it comes to that department.

“It took Haechan a week before he could straighten his back properly,” He informed his husband because truthfully, he had nothing to say to him. His topics were very limited because he really didn't have anything to say. It was always Jaehyun who dominated their conversations all the time so the test was something he can really talk about and for once he was the one who opened a topic, and Taeyong was glad.

Jaehyun, on the other hand, was also surprised that Taeyong initiated their conversation. Usually, it was only a question and answer one, and his husband really looked awkward about it. Jaehyun had to work very hard to make his husband open up to him more. It seemed like it was working little by little. 

“Really? The procedure was expensive. How did Doyoung manage all that?”

“Charities. Doyoung is still paying for it until now.” Suddenly the thought of the debt Doyoung had to pay made Taeyong lose his appetite. Jaehyun noticed it so he gave his husband an assurance like he always did.

“I’ll tell Taeil hyung about it so Doyoung won’t have to worry about it anymore. I also asked for Hyung’s permission to let you stay with his family while we’re away.”

Taeyong nodded once again. He had no problem staying with Doyoung and Kun.

 Unknown to him, his husband was having second or even third thoughts about it.

“Or you can just come with me if you want, but you’ll have to stay at the hotel all the time since we’re going to be busy.”

Then Taeyong smiled and out of reflex held Jaehyun’s hand that was on top of the table. The movement stunned the unsuspecting husband. It was something new to him. Aside from initiating the conversation, Taeyong stepped up by also initiating a skinship.  It was something new, and it sent butterflies not only to Jaehyun’s stomach but also straight to his heart. The small gesture made him happy even if Taeyong pulled his hand after a few seconds. It was a moment that instantly etched on Jaehyun’s heart.

“It’s okay. I don’t want you to worry about me while at work.”
Taeyong was right. If Taeyong was going with him, he would have a very hard time concentrating. After all, his husband remained his number one priority.

“I’ll do my best to finish the deal as soon as possible. I don’t want to stay in Japan for too long without you.”

Once again, butterflies decided to play on Taeyong’s stomach. 

“I’ll wait for you.”

Jaehyun smiled and took a bite of his food like it was cooked by the greatest chef in the world. His expression showed pure happiness.

Both were feeling the same but also unaware of the effects they had on each other. Silence followed and it was a comfortable one. In spite of all the things Jaehyun had done to have Taeyong in his life, he was thankful that he was given a chance and he believed that Taeyong staying by his side was the sign that he was finally pardoned.

 

 

***

 

 

“What’s that document?” Winwin scrunched his nose at the suspiciously looking manila envelop Yuta was handling him. The younger was still in bed for it was still early in the morning. Yuta had already taken a bath and was preparing for work.

“It’s the Certificate of Mutual Agreement. Uncle Yunho gave it to me yesterday, and I already signed it. You can read it if you have time,” Yuta answered, and upon hearing that it was the document that least wanted to see, Winwin rose from his seat and walked past his husband and went straight to the living room. He looked at the older one like he had done the most ridiculous thing ever.

“I don’t want to sign it,” he said with conviction.

Yuta was stunned. It wasn't the answer or the reaction he was expecting, so he just assumed that his husband was still adjusting to their married life, and probably still not prepared to sign it. Winwin was still in high school in the first place. He just turned into an adult, so Yuta knew that pressuring him was not the wise choice.

He sighed and put the manila envelope on the side table and said, “No one is telling you to sign it. I just want you to read it so you’ll have an idea what it’s all about," in a very calm tone.

Winwin was adamant though. He just looked at the envelope and didn’t even want to hold it like it was some kind of a plague.

“I know perfectly what it’s all about. Hyung signed one, and I know what’s going to happen next.”

Winwin hated his brother’s decision.

Yuta sighed for the second time that hour. He had been doing that a lot lately since he got married. 

“Then I’ll just leave it here. We don’t need to fight over this matter. I’ll have to leave now,” Yuta dismissed the topic and went to his husband to give him a peck in the forehead. 

Winwin avoided the affection, so Yuta had no choice but to leave. He didn’t even eat breakfast because Winwin didn’t cook for him. It was nothing new anyway. Yuta was living off food deliveries since he was single, so it wasn’t that big of an adjustment. Although he wished to wake up with his husband’s cooking. But with Winwin’s mood, it was far from happening.

For the umpteenth time since they got married, Yuta accepted and understood.

 

 


***

 

 

Festival Day. The day before the NCT Corp. bosses had to go to Japan.


It was the day of the festival, and the school management chose the most cliché theme that year. 

Carnival. 

There were game booths at the schoolyard. The school rented rides so that the students can enjoy more. Clowns were roaming around the campus giving out sweets or sometimes slimes to unsuspecting victims. It was just morning and yet, the school was so alive and loud. 

It was a perfect day.

Indeed, it was, especially for Haechan since he managed to sneak Mark from the fire exit near the car park. There was a security, but Mark was able to bribe him by promising that he will tell his brother about his hard work. A single word from Mark can lead to a promotion. The guy was so happy about that, so he let the two go with a promise that no one was going to find out about it. He even promised that he was going to help the two when they get back.

Perfect indeed. 

Another perfect thing that happened was Winwin was assigned to the sound booth. That meant that he had to stay at the school radio station booth the whole day so he can play the music all around the campus. 

The two had nothing to worry about.

It was really perfect.

The two arrived at their school, and overly excited Yeri greeted them. Lucas who arrived early was fidgety, obviously nervous. He stood beside a stoic-looking Jungwoo. 

Haechan laughed at the two. They were both looking good in their casual outfit. He bet Mark too if he wasn’t stuck in his wheelchair.

“How are you, man? Long time, no see,” Lucas scooted down to give his best friend their personalized handshake. 

Mark hit Lucas in the head, and the taller one pouted at the sudden action. 

“Now I know why you stopped visiting me. You were busy dating Jungwoo,” Mark teased the two, and both of them reddened at the statement.

“He did not date me,” Jungwoo interrupted with the right amount of sass, “This will be the first time we’re going on a date.”

Yeri and Haechan whistled, and the former said, “So you’re finally admitting that you are dating and since you said that it's the first time, that means there will be a second time.”
 
Yeri laughed, and Mark and Haechan joined her. Lucas and Jungwoo turned redder. 

“I’m going,” Jungwoo suddenly said and walked away. Lucas immediately followed like a lost puppy. Surprisingly, Jungwoo didn’t protest at all.

“So there’s just three of us now to enjoy this day,” Mark then said. Yeri then faked a laugh.

“Ahm, actually, I have a date, too. So that leaves you with Haechan. Bye, see you later,” Yeri sped out even before the Haechan could protest. But she didn’t leave without sending a knowing wink to her best friend. Haechan was totally clueless about it. Luckily, Mark wasn’t able to catch it.

“So, Haechannie, where do we start our date?”

Haechan turned red.

Perfect.
 

 

 

aejae22

*************************************************

Hello.

I took my sweet time. 

I'm sorry.

To be honest, this chapter is very hard to write. As the title suggest, it's the calm before...

So please stay with me.

We're going back to regular updating schedule.

Thank you. Please vote if you find this deserving.

Thank you. ^.^