Chance

Romantic Cliché

CHAPTER 30

CHANCE

 

Doyoung stayed rooted to where he was standing. His feet refused to move, and his hand began to shake. How can a single face that he hadn’t seen for so long can make his heart beat like a thousand times per second? Their eyes met, and no one wanted to look away first. It’s been over three years since he last saw that face and the effect was still the same. It was the same feeling every time he looked at his son’s eyes, the feeling of excitement, sadness, and longing, all at the same time. It was the look of love, and Doyoung thought that after those years, his son was enough to satisfy and fulfill his longing heart. 

Kun became his world the moment he gave birth to him, but deep inside his heart he was still yearning and wishing that someday he was going to see the one the taught him how to love unselfishly again. There was never a day that he never thought of him and now, there he was standing in front of him. Doyoung was left speechless and didn’t know what to do.
 

A huge part of him wanted to get mad and leave that place immediately and take Kun away from his father, away from the man that left him hanging. Then his heart was also pleading for him to stay, stay and allow him to explain his reasons why he never returned or even look for him. For a moment he was in the dilemma, but in the end he chose to follow his heart. His eyes softened the moment he made the decision.
 

“Where have you been?” His voice was shaky and it was given why.
 

Taeil’s mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. He was expecting for the worst, a confrontation or even a huge fight. It was all he can’t think of after everything that happened between him and Doyoung. He left him alone so he had every right to be upset with him, but what was in front of him was a guy waiting for an explanation so he never wasted any time.
 

“Everywhere,” he said, his voice equally shaky. He had to choose his words carefully or one wrong move, Doyoung might flee the place.
 

“Everywhere?”
 

“Everywhere, looking for you.”
 

Again, Doyoung was left speechless and this time, Jaehyun who was just watching since the beginning joined him. He looked at Taeil and then at Doyoung and to his brother once again, realization flooding his brain.
 

“He’s that guy?” He questioned his brother, and the older one nodded.  Jaehyun couldn’t believe that the guy that was the cause of his brother’s almost insanity was Doyoung, best friend of his husband. Small world. The guy that they’ve been looking for so long was so near to them all along.
 

“You need to talk. Doyoung-sshi, please hear my hyung. He has a lot to say to you,” Jaehyun said to Doyoung, and then he took Kun into his arms and said, “Come on Kun, I’ll make you some smoothie, this two adult needs to talk.”
 

Kun just nodded, and he immediately forgot about the kind uncle and his papa when he heard the word smoothie.
Taeil took Doyoung’s hand when his brother and Kun were out of their sight. Doyoung had no choice but to allow Taeil to take him wherever.

 

They rode the elevator, and it seemed like Doyoung has no mind of his own. He let Taeil lead the way, and he never let go of his hands, not even for a second. They only separated when Taeil opened the car for him, and he drove out of the building.
 

Doyoung found himself in a fine dining restaurant and there was food in front of him already. Taeil was longingly looking at him, but he was in such deep thoughts that he didn’t notice him. Only when Taeil took his hand that was resting on top of the table once again that he regained his senses.
 

“You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this moment. Jaehyun told me to stop, but I never gave up. I looked everywhere, but one can tell me where you are. Even your parents didn’t know where I can find you,” Taeil said, almost a whisper. His voice was so shaky that he had a hard time speaking and words barely came out. He had a lot of this he wanted to say, but that moment nothing clear came out. He doubted if Doyoung understood what he just said. Good thing, the younger did.
 

Doyoung’s face scrunched when he heard about his parents. “I’ve been changing addressed because I was afraid your father will find us. My parents kicked me out when I went home after your father took you.” 
 

A heavy sigh was heard, and Taeil gave the man in front of him an apologetic look. Back then he was so weak and a full blast coward. Things were different now, though. He was now ready to fight and get Doyoung back.
 

“I’m sorry,” he said with full sincerity, eyes focused on Doyoung’s. “There were a lot of things that happened and I don’t want to remember them. I regret that it took me a long while to see you again. I missed you so much, and this time I won’t let anyone take you away from me, not even my father.” Tears were already threatening to fall, and his hand was caressing Doyoung’s, not wanting to let go. The longing was real, and if the younger decided to reject him that moment, Taeil decided to take his life. Doyoung’s rejection meant the end of his life and the fading of his will to live. He was the only reason he held on in spite of everything that happened to him. He almost lost his sanity when he was taken away from Doyoung. One more separation this time he was prepared to take his own life. His life was basically depending on Doyoung’s words. It was all or nothing. 
 

“Will you give me a chance and come back into my life?”
 

It took Doyoung a lot of time to say anything. With each passing second, little by little, Taeil’s hope was vanishing. His heart was pounding, and his head was starting to ache with all the pressure and negative thoughts he started to think. Just one word from Doyoung and it was going to be over. Just one word.
 

“Us, not only me, Taeil. There’s two of us now. When you were gone, I gave birth.”
 

Taeil closed his eyes and looked down not wanting Doyoung to see his tears fall. Was he too late? Did Doyoung found someone to replace him already and had a child with that guy? He refused to accept it. He could hear his heart breaking for the umpteenth time already.
 

Sensing and seeing what was playing inside Taeil’s mind, Doyoung continued.
 

“Kun is your son.”
 

Taeil suddenly looked up. Tears fell like rain from his eyes and he no longer cared if Doyoung saw them. The young also had tears in his eyes. Taeil’s heart suddenly had a new found strength to beat again.
 

“I was already pregnant when your father took you, and I also tried to look for you, but they said you father took you abroad. I went home to my parents. They kicked me out as soon as they found out that I was carrying Kun.”
 

“You took care of him alone?” Taeil quietly sobbed, guilt slowly taking over his heart. “I didn’t know. Believe me, I didn’t know.”
 

Doyoung nodded. “I know. I intentionally hid Kun to protect him from your father. That’s why I changed our address often.”
 

Taeil wiped his own tears and stood up. He then kneeled in front of Doyoung, and took both of his hands and kissed them like his life was depending on them.
 

“I’m sorry because I wasn’t there when you needed me. I’m sorry because I didn’t have the courage to fight for us back then. I’m better now, Youngie. I’m better now and allow me to continue where we left off. Allow me to your life again and to Kun’s life. Please, I beg you. Give me another chance,” he pleaded.
 

Doyoung smiled at the nickname. It’s been a long time since he heard it and it was literally music to his ears. It made his heart flutter. He stopped wasting time on tears and wallowing in self-pity a long time ago, but that doesn’t mean that the love he felt for Taeil was gone it was still there. By the looked of it, he wasn’t the only one who suffered and even if his mind was telling him to stop his heart said go. He was tired of following his mind, that moment he chose to follow his mind and nodded to Taeil. This was answered by a tight hug and a deep and yearning kiss on the lips afterward.
 

He didn’t know that that simple nod just revived their relationship and literally saved Taeil’s life.
 

 

***
 

 

 

For the umpteenth time Ten dialed Johnny’s number, and for the umpteenth time, he was sent to voicemail. He already lost count after 15, and he was feeling desperate. He felt desperate and guilty for all the thing he had done without thinking. It had been hours since Johnny left his house and Ten missed him already. He realized that he could no longer live on his own, he couldn’t function properly without Johnny, and he refused to sleep alone in his bed.
 

It was his fault. He fully acknowledged that it was all his fault. It took Johnny leaving before he realized the effects of his actions, and it took their relationship because he feared something that wasn't even there. Realization hit him that it was okay to give his heart without holding back. 
 

He realized that he loves Johnny, damn it, he's in love with Johnny.
 

Ten immediately wiped his tearful face and stood up. He went to his almost empty closet and looked for something good to wear. He then decided to leave after he fixed himself. He passed by the kitchen and saw the bottle of birth control pills that he thought that could protect his heart from pain. The pills did the other way around. They caused the most painful heartbreak he just experienced with the person he truly loved, so he took the pills from the counter and tossed them without regret to his trash can.
 

He was going to talk to Johnny and Ten was going to get him back where he liked it or not.

 

 

***
 

 

Haechan was panting hard when he finally reached the rooftop of their building and as usual, like the days that passed by, Mark was already there waiting for him in his wheelchair. He was welcomed with a warm smile.
 

“Look who’s late again?” Mark teased and Haechan responded with a scowl as he put his bag down on the concrete floor like he used to do since they started their secret meetings.
 

“Mr. Park gave a lot of assignments. Here,” He handed Mark a notebook. “You can copy my notes since Lucas is busy pestering Jungwoo that he forgot to copy any notes.” Yes, Haechan decided to go back to their original class in spite of the protest of his friends. What for? Mark wasn’t able to attend classes and Lucas was not a problem since he was alone and they can handle him pretty well, or Jungwoo can handle him pretty well.
 

Mark shook his head in amusement. Typical Lucas, he was going to pester someone he likes, and Mark was sure it was Jungwoo this time. He took the notebook from Haechan and placed on his side. He was going to copy it later.
 

“Thanks, how’s Taeyong hyung?”
 

Haechan sighed when he heard the question. It was the fourth day already, and he planned on ditching Mark that day so he could take care of his hyung, but he saw Ten and Johnny entered so he decided to see Mark again. He was just going to visit his Taeyong hyung in the evening.
 

“It’s normal for Taeyong hyung to experience whatever he’s experiencing now. I’m worried about Jaehyun hyung more.”
 

Mark frowned at the statement. “Jaehyun? As in my brother? Why?”
 

Haechan looked at Mark in disbelief. “Seriously? He's skipping meals and sleep to take care of my hyung. When was the last time you saw him?”
 

“Since his wedding with your hyung.”
 

 “Eh?” The younger one couldn’t believe it. It was really hard to believe that Jaehyun didn’t even pay his brother, injured in wheelchair and all, a visit.
 

Mark smiled bitterly and looked at Haechan. “I guess we’re the same, huh? Jaehyun hyung has been busy with his new family and Taeil hyung had no time at home since he has to take Jaehyun hyung’s place at the office.
 

“But we’re different. You’re injured and I’m not, at least not anymore. You’re still recovering.”
“It’s my fault anyway so I can't oblige them to take care of me. I can take care of myself anyway. I can always call for Lucas for help if I need one.”

 

Haechan wanted to volunteer himself to help him, but it was too early for that. Taeil might also see them together and it won’t be good for the both of them.
 

Mark couldn’t believe his eyes that he saw a flicker of sadness and empathy from Haechan. They were in the same shoes no matter how hard the other denied it. Both of them were ignored by their brothers because they have their own lives to mind.
 

“Hey,” he laughed at Haechan’s almost pouting lips. “I’m the one who's supposed to make you happy. Why are you so sad? I’m okay. Believe me. I’m okay.” That sentence was also to convince himself that he was indeed okay.
 

“Jaehyun hyung has been good to me. He feeds me breakfast every day since Taeyong hyung got sick.
Mark nodded, “That’s nice. Hyung is a good cook. Maybe not as good as your hyung like what you’ve told me but he’s petty descent.”

 

Sensing that his hyungs became a sensitive topic for Mark, Haechan decided to shift. 
 

“When are you going to come back to school. The place has been so peaceful since you’ve been gone.”
 

Mark rolled his eyes at the roast. “2-3 more weeks, I guess? I’m still having a hard time moving my legs, and if they don’t get better within that period, they might look at them once again to see what’s wrong.”
 

With that said, Haechan’s brilliant brain started to work and he immediately came with an idea. 
 

“Let me help you walk.”
 

Mark chuckled and refusing to believe his words. “Are you kidding me? How are you gonna help me walk? You’re not even a therapist.”
 

“I know. I think you just need practice. You’re stuck on that stupid chair all day that's why you’re getting rusty.”
Mark looked at him intently. Haechan looked at him dead in the eyes. He was indeed serious with his offer, very serious.

 

“Why are you doing this?”
 

“Because friends help each other.”
 

Mark wanted to tear up with that statement but of course, he was not going to give Haechan the satisfaction to see him cry. His mission was doing well.
 

Haechan then took his bag from the ground and stood. Their meeting was cut short because Mark knew that the other needed to see his hyung. He understood his actions without Haechan saying anything.
 

“Don’t worry, Jung. Monkeys are not hard to teach.” With that, he left and instead of getting annoyed, Mark for the first time in a very long while felt happy.

 

aejae22

*****************************************************

Hi.

No more hard to get for Doyoung since Kun will be their beiggest drama.

Yuwin next.

Please vote and comment.