The Party

Romantic Cliché

CHAPTER 42

THE PARTY

 

“Why is he suddenly throwing a party? What is this party for?” Winwin asked, not really amused with that they would have to go out that night instead of him staying in bed or finishing his papers for the coming exams. He got no answer from his husband, though. 

“You’re smiling like a complete idiot,” Winwin scowled as he fixed Yuta’s bow tie. The latter was indeed smiling like an idiot.

“I’m just happy.”

Winwin hissed at the answer. There was nothing to be happy about. It was just an ordinary day for him until his so-called brother-in-law informed them about the party that night. He had no choice but to attend since it was for NCT Corp's employees and family members. Unfortunately for him, his husband’s an employee and his family.

Yuta seemed to enjoy what he was doing, and it irked him to no end, so to erase the annoying smile off of his husband’s face, he intentionally tightened the bow tie causing the Japanese to almost choked.  Winwin internally laughed at his own antics.

“Hey, honey, are you trying to kill me?” Yuta complained as he gasped for air. Winwin went back on fixing the tie as nothing happened. Again, a smile appeared on Yuta’s face. He seemed to be very happy.

“Can you please stop smiling? It’s annoying.”

A frown finally appeared on Yuta’s face. His mood dampened when he saw the younger was irritated at him just because he was smiling.

“What’s wrong with smiling?”

Winwin looked away, avoiding Yuta’s gaze and the question. The action didn’t stop the latter to ask another one.

“Why are you so annoyed whenever I smile or whenever I am happy with something? It’s like my happiness is your annoyance. What is wrong with you?”

Again, just like the times when Yuta tried to confront him about his attitude, Winwin chose not to answer and just walk away. 

The action effectively made Yuta feel guilty. Being the loving husband that he was, the guy just heaved a sigh of surrender and pulled Winwin’s arm to envelop him into a tight hug. Fortunately, Winwin didn’t resist, but he didn’t hug back.

“Let’s stop this okay? I’m sorry,” Yuta hushed, and he felt Winwin nod his head. “This is going to be a great night so let’s not ruin it.”

Winwin nodded again. Yuta then pulled his husband away from him and held his shoulders while looking at the younger with so much love and admiration.

“I love you and nothing’s gonna change that,” he said and gave Winwin on the forehead.

They continued preparing for the party after that like nothing happened.

 


***

 

 

“Are you ready to go?” Johnny asked the man sitting at the sofa as he made his way out of their room. He just put on his shoes and looking for his keys.

Ten just nodded, but the big guy didn’t see him respond so he had to ask again to see his reaction.

“Let’s go then.”

The former stood without a word as the two made their way out of the apartment to the parking area.

There was something wrong. Johnny could feel it in the air.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked then and just like before, Ten only nodded.

Both of them sat inside the car with Johnny on the driver seat. He wasn’t going to start until he gets some answers from the man on the passenger seat.

Johnny sighed and just sat there, hoping to get Ten’s attention by not moving or starting the car. The attempt was futile. The latter didn’t even look at him or at least bothered that the car wasn’t starting yet. He just stared straight like something interesting was happening in front of him.

For the first time since Johnny arrived from Japan or when their relationship became cold, he felt bothered, and he felt some boggling sensation at the pit of his stomach.

“Tell me what’s wrong.” He heard no reply. That was indeed bothering because Ten never loses to any argument. And with Johnny’s unending strike of the same question over and over, he would be so annoyed that he would just smack the living daylight out of the big guy. That day was different, though. Ten’s silence was strange for the man who loved him, and it worried Johnny to the core.

“Ten, we are not going anywhere until you answer my question. I’ve been asking the same question since we went down and all I got was a nod.”

Ten looked at him for the first time.

“Maybe because there’s nothing wrong and I feel okay,” Ten answered. He may be annoyed, but his eyes lacked emotion. “Start the car. Your friends are waiting for you, and I want to see Taeyong.”

That was the answer Johnny was waiting for, but it didn’t help at all. The uncomfortable sensation was still there which made him sure that there was really something wrong. He made a mental note to talk to Ten once again after the party. He thought it was just about time to sort things out, once and for all. The coldness and the events that happened between them were eating their relationship alive. Despite still feeling hurt and betrayed, Johnny wanted everything to come back the way they used to be. He wanted their relationship back.

He wanted Ten back.


***

 


That morning, Mark woke up more energized than the usual. It was later than his usual waking hours, but he was thankful with the extra sleep he got. It was unbothered and steady.

The first thing he did was to get to his wheelchair. He was successful despite that fact that trying to sit into that wheelchair felt like a total workout. His forehead was drench in sweat the moment his landed on the seat. Crutches were not an option anymore since his legs grew weaker. His therapy sessions were discontinued because all of his time was on Haechan. He didn’t want to bother any of his brothers for the fees anymore, though he doubted if they would even care that he wasn’t attending any of his sessions.

His legs hurt a lot especially during nights where it was freezing cold. He decided to live with Haechan at their old house on top of a building with an old heater. The condition wasn’t helping his legs at all.

But was he complaining about it? Mark won’t even think twice and will answer no. Everything was worth it. There was that unexplained feeling of happiness whenever he sees a smile, a tiny movement or any tiny movement coming from Haechan.  Such small responses can bring so much joy to him that Lucas called him cheesy and a er for all things Haechan. 

Of course, he denied it, but since the day their brothers forgot all about their existence, Haechan became his source of strength and not the other way around.

Haechan would have survived without his help since Yeri and Jungwoo would be a great help, too. Mark was a whole different story. It wasn’t because of guilt anymore why he was putting a lot of effort into helping Haechan and why he was so desperate to make him happy. It was because Haechan was his friend and he would do anything just to make the latter happy like he used to be, or so Mark thought.

Mark was pulled out from his deep thinking by Lucas who had a playful smirk on his face. Lucas’ face and the cold wind send a shiver down the former’s spine so he immediately reached for the jacket that was hanging at the back of their door.

“Dude, do you want me to wipe the drool coming out of your mouth?” Lucas jokingly said. Mark knew that it was just a joke, but he still wiped his face just to make sure. He wasn’t drooling. Why would he drool over Haechan?

Mark hit Lucas’ shoulder a bit harder than the usual. It made the latter grimace at the slight pain and wined at his friend.

“Is this how you treat your friend, who helped Haechan make you breakfast?”

Mark didn’t have the slightest interest in breakfast. He wasn’t used having one anyway, but Lucas’s statement caught his full attention that all the sleepiness from his body disappeared. It’s as if someone electrocuted him.

“Who?” He asked with a frown.

Another smile was seen on Lucas’ face. This time, it was a pure victory. He knew. He just knew how whipped his friends were for Haechan that the slightest mention of his name could stop whatever he was doing.

“Haechan made you breakfast. Jungwoo and I helped him.”

“He made me breakfast? How?”

“He cooked? We have a working stove and Yeri did grocery shopping yesterday.”

“ it. I know how what cooking is. You know what I mean.” Another frown was thrown at Lucas, this time, it was a warning of one wrong answer would mean death to his friend.

“Whoa!” Lucas raised his arms in disbelief. “Calm down, you smurf. You heard me. Haechan cooked for you. He stood up, man. I know what I said was hard to imagine, but Haechan really stood up this morning and told us that he would cook for you. He said it like nothing happened. Like we didn’t spend days trying to make him talk or even look at us.” The tall guy continued, “Imagine our face when he suddenly told us that. Dude, he was like a lost soul yesterday, and it’s like he suddenly went back to life.”

Mark’s eyes were like saucers after Lucas finished talking. He was right. It was unbelievable.

“But… but he wouldn’t even talk to… to us.”

Lucas nodded. “Dude, I think Haechan finally woke up and decided to continue living.”

Continue living.

Mark fell into deep thought when he heard the words.  Haechan did try to end his life several times, and if Mark wasn’t there all the time, he would have been successful. The thought was quickly erased, and he looked at Lucas like he saw an apparition.

“Dude, where is he?” Mark looked around and found no Haechan.

“You wouldn’t believe this. He asked Jungwoo to go out to buy something for you. They’ve been out for 2 hours now,” Lucas said. “Poor Uwu. He was so shocked when he heard Haechan speaks for the first time in a long time.”

“Uwu?” Mark frowned. Lucas’ reaction looked like he was really feeling bad for Jungwoo.

Taken aback with the sudden blurting out an unfamiliar name, Lucas awkwardly coughed and arranged his jacket to compose himself.

“Jungwoo. That guy is full of uwus all the time,” he answered, not looking at his friend.

“Uwu?” Mark was still confused. 

“Dude, just stop and eat your breakfast okay?” Lucas acted irritated. Thank heavens it was successful because Mark immediately wheeled himself to the kitchen inside the house.

 

 

 

 

“NCT Corp. is having a party.”

Mark looked up from slurping the kimchi jigae that Haechan cooked for him.

“A Party? For what?”

Lucas shrugged his shoulders, unable to give a proper answer.

“I have no idea. It wasn’t written on the virtual invitation my dad got. He asked me to attend for him since he got a business meeting in Hong Kong.”

Mark stopped eating and once again feel into thinking. Why would his brother throw a party? The last time he saw his brother, Taeyong was divorcing him. They don’t just throw a party even if they acquire a huge deal. 

They didn’t even throw one when they beat the biggest company in Japan. That was so unusual.

“Do you want me to go?” Lucas’ asked. He was sure that Mark wasn’t going. Seeing his brother was the last on his list. Lucas doubted if it was even on his list.
 
“Yes, and I’m coming with you.”


***

 

 

 

To say that Jaehyun was on cloud nine was an understatement. The CEO was ecstatic, and nothing could wipe the smile off of his face that he had been sporting since he arrived in Japan and that was 2 days ago already.

Nothing could break and spoil that day for him, or maybe he spoke too soon.

“You look so beautiful, my love,” Jaehyun whispered on Taeyong’s nape. The latter was currently fixing his own shirt in a hurry because they were getting late. 

Jaehyun, on the other hand, showed no sign of haste. 
Taeyong just smiled, and his husband hugged him tightly from behind.

“I love you,” he once again whispered.

Taeyong turned without getting out of that warm hug to face Jaehyun, who was still in a dazed state.

“I love you, too, Mr. Jung but everyone at NCT is waiting for us so we better hurry,” he said, followed by a kiss that was intended to be quick, but Jaehyun had other plans. It turned into a long, deep and hot one that if Taeyong didn’t stop himself, they would have ended up and late.

Jaehyun didn’t bulge and continued peppering his husband with small kisses. “We could use some more time. They will wait for us. They don’t have a choice.”

“Taeil hyung knocked twice already. They could only stay until ten since Kun is with them.”

The statement finally made Jaehyun surrender, and he heaved a deep sigh, admitting his defeat. His friends must be wondering why he suddenly threw a party with unknown reason. They just got back from a business trip and as far as they know, the CEO was on the verge of divorce.

No one among his friends knew. Yuta was busy pleasing Winwin while Johnny was doing whatever he was doing. Jaehyun wasn’t even sure if Taeil knew. The last time he saw his brother was when he forced him to go home and Jaehyun was more than glad he let himself be forced. It was a happy ending after all. 

Again, it was too early to conclude anything.

They arrived at the NCT Corp. hand in hand. The couple didn’t go straight to the function hall where the party was happening. They instead went straight to Jaehyun’s office to wait for the right time to appear. The organizer was going to call them when it was time.

“You didn’t tell me what this party is for,” Taeyong asked, hands still linked and eyes full of curiosity. 

Jaehyun was glad his husband still had that innocent look on his eyes whenever he asked questions. It was one of the reasons while he fell in love. He stared at him lovingly at first and then tucked some loose strands behind his ears. He also hated to be in that place when he could’ve spent it with Taeyong. Just the two of them, alone, under a sheet, , yet there he was, having to face a sea of people, a majority of which were unfamiliar, media included. He hated it, but he had to.

“I’m going to officially announce our marriage.”

There were no words that came out from the man in front of him, he just stared at the CEO like he grew three heads. He almost forgot, no one in that company, except for Yuta, Johnny and Taeil knew that the CEO got married to him. There were rumors that Jaehyun got married secretly, but no one knew it was The Mystic Man. Jaehyun fought tooth and nail to hide his identity and protect his privacy. Taeyong bet that his husband hired people just to have their privacy during their honeymoon. If he did, they did a great job of hiding because Taeyong didn’t even notice.

“You-you don't have to,” was the only answer that came out of his mouth. He suddenly got nervous. He wasn’t informed, so he had a little time to prepare himself. He knew the media was going to be there. His husband was not just an ordinary CEO, he was the youngest CEO of a very young company that beat the largest gaming company in Japan. It was more than enough for him and his friends, who started the company, to gain recognition and massive following.

Worry soon showed on Taeyong’s face. What if the media asked questions? What if he wouldn’t be able to answer? Will they accept him? Will they judge him? Will they see him good enough for Jaehyun?

Jaehyun was quick to dismiss the negative thoughts that started to build inside Taeyong’s head. He was his husband after all. He could almost hear his thoughts that were very evident on his face.

He immediately enveloped him into a tight hug and said, “You don’t have to say a word, love. Just like when we first introduced Mystic Man, you just have to be there. I will handle everything. They will not touch you in any way or I will drag them out of this building.”

Taeyong didn’t doubt what his husband said. Jaehyun have the capacity and the strength to do what he just said.

“You just have to be beside me,” Jaehyun continued. 

“You will never leave me?”

Jaehyun shook his head. “Never again.”

As if on cue, Taeyong nodded and calmed down instantly. Jaehyun’s words calmed him down instantly. 
Taeyong became more open since they got back together. All the feelings and emotions he had been hiding went out. His heart opened up like floodgates, ready to give every bit of his love to his husband. There was no more holding back.

They were still in that position when one of the employees arrived, shocked at the scene in from of his eyes. Good thing he kept his professionalism and told the couple that it was time to go down.

“Sir, it’s time to go down. Everyone’s waiting for you.”


***

 

 

Yuta, Taeil, and Johnny arrived almost at the same time together with their partners. All of them sporting a clueless look of why they were there. Taeil may know that Jaehyun and Taeyong are together again, he still assumed that it was about the huge deal they got in Japan. He chose not to talk when they saw each other. It seemed like after spending time in Japan together, the last thing they wanted to see were each other’s faces.

Winwin chose to go straight to the buffet, hoping to find Taeyong, same with Ten, but the latter chose a different path, leaving both their partners to talk to other invited businessmen.

The three friends just finished explaining their upcoming projects when a very familiar face appeared in front of them. Someone who they haven’t seen in a long time, and it made Yuta gaped in surprised, but he was good at keeping a straight face.

“It’s nice to see NCT Corp doing so well,” the newcomer praised while looking around the hall that was decorated in such classy way and gave off a futuristic Atmosphere. The band was also playing music with a subtle volume, giving off a relaxing vibe.

“Hansol,” Taeil shook his hand and acted like he wasn’t surprised at all. “When did you return to Korea?”

The guy, Hansol shook his hand back answered, “Just last night. I have some unfinished business here to attend to.” He said it while looking straight into Yuta’s eyes.

“Aren’t you going to greet an old friend, Yuta?”
Yuta showed no emotion, but his stare was piercing as if he was ready to claw the neck of the man in front of him with one wrong move.

“I don’t see any friends around except for these two,” he answered with a voice full of venom, referring to Taeil and Johnny.

Hansol chuckled at the reply. The tension between the two men built up, and Johnny had to fake a laugh to kill the undesirable atmosphere.

“Oh hey, Hansol. Long time, no see. It’s nice to see you getting involved in business again.” Johnny's fakeness was borderline vomiting.

Fortunately, Johnny succeeded in lightening the atmosphere, but Yuta’s face stayed the same. Taeil handed the latter a glass of champagne so he could relax a bit. It was no used. the older could feel Yuta's hand slightly shaking.

“Yes, and I would love to propose a deal with you soon. I am really impressed with what this company has reached.” Hansol’s voice was very warm, and anyone who was listening would really swoon to his deep and smooth voice. His charming smile and height was also a factor, not to mention his handsome face.

“We’ll be looking forward to that,” Johnny replied which earned a scowled from Yuta. 

The three looked at him, Taeil and Johnny with a worried face while Hansol with an amused one.

“Can I talk to Yuta for a second?”

Taeil and Johnny stiffened.

It didn’t go unnoticed by the newcomer.

“Is there anything wrong?”

Taeil decided to whisper on Yuta’s ears. “Winwin’s is just around the corner,” he told him, knowing fully why Hansol returned and what he was on Yuta’s life even the former wasn’t saying anything. His stares said it all.

“Winwin?” Unfortunately, the whisper was loud enough for Hansol to hear. “Who’s Winwin?”

“My husband,” Yuta answered, surprising the two. Even Hansol couldn’t hide his surprised and disappointed look with those words. 

Taeil’s confirmed his assumption. Hansol was really back for Yuta.


***

 

Winwin looked everywhere, but he could find his brother. He hated that there were a lot of people. It made him regret leaving Yuta’s side. He was now stuck in the middle of the sea of unfamiliar people.

He sighed in surrender. Accepting that his brother was nowhere to be found so he decided to go back and look for his husband. He was about to turn his heels when he noticed someone standing in front of the bar with a drink on his hand. There was no one there yet since everyone was still waiting for the arrival of Jaehyun and his brother. It was just a bummer that Winwin wasn’t able to talk to him beforehand.

It was Ten. He was sitting quietly with a glass of scotch in his hand. For a very odd reason, the scotch appealed to Winwin so he joined the former at the bar. His presence was acknowledged.  The bartender asked for his order and soon enough, he was holding the same alcohol, almost choking when the liquid reached his throat for the first time.

Ten chuckled, amused that Winwin was brave enough to try alcohol when he wasn’t even legal to drink. If Yuta found out, the bartender would be fired.

“What’s so funny?” The chuckle was annoying, and since Winwin didn’t like Ten, the action made it worse.

“You’re not even legal to drink. Yuta would fire the bartender if he sees you,” Ten said to Winwin. The bartender also heard him which made him stiffened. 

Ten was sure that it was Winwin’s last drink of the night.

“I’m married already. I don’t need Yuta’s consent for a glass of drink.”

“Right, you didn’t need Taeyong’s consent to marry Yuta, but you need one with that glass of scotch” Ten smiled. He wasn’t being sarcastic, but Winwin took it the wrong way.

“What are you trying to imply?” Winwin was starting to get furious. Ten successfully got into his nerves.

“Chill. I’m just telling you that you’re too young to drink. I didn’t mean anything.”

“None of your business,” Winwin spat so Ten just shrugged his shoulder as a response.

“Yeah, none of my business.”

There was a moment of silence, and Ten wanted to say something that he had been holding on since Winwin got married. He decided to let it out now or he was afraid he wouldn’t have the time again.

“Winwin,” The started and he was welcomed by Winwin’s dark stare. It didn’t faze him anymore. Winwin had been like that since the beginning of time so there was nothing new.

“I know why you married Yuta.”

Winwin stopped drinking. He got frozen with what he heard, and the need to deny was huge, but surprisingly, he didn’t. Was he surprised that ten said that to him? Yes. Was he surprised that Ten knew? No. Ten is his brother’s best friend so he knew what was going on with their life. It didn’t surprise Winwin that Ten knew, it was just surprising that he was bold enough to say it straight to his face out of nowhere.

“Don’t get me wrong. I just want to say that he loves you very much. I am sure that he loves you truly, and it doesn’t matter how the two of you started, his love for you is true.”

“Why are you saying this?”

“Don’t waste your time on your plan. It wasn’t his fault why everything happened. Taeyong is happy so you should be happy for him.”

“The last time I heard, they're divorcing.”

“I know you know that that does not that case anymore. Taeyong loves Jaehyun whether you like it or not and there’s nothing you can do to change that.”

Under normal circumstances, Winwin would’ve loved to argue with Ten, but everything the latter said was true so he was lost for words. He was at the losing end so he didn’t bother to argue anymore.

Ten continued, “Don’t waste your time on things that you have no control. Focus your time on your husband and don’t take him for granted.”

Winwin frowned, struck with Ten’s words.

“Why are you saying this?”

“Because I did and it ing hurts.”

“What?”

“It’s too late for me, but not for you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Yuta loves you. Give him what he deserves before someone take him away from you.”

Chills suddenly went through Winwin’s spine with what Ten just said. There was a sudden feeling of fear, and there was an invisible force that was dropped at the pit of his stomach. His heart suddenly beat faster, and it seemed like air failed to enter his lungs. It felt like someone poured a bucket of ice cold water on him. Ten’s words had that great impact and Winwin didn’t know why. 

For some reason, Winwin felt like that the last statement was a warning.

A warning of what was going to happen.

 

 

***

 

A few more minutes and it was announced that Jaehyun and Taeyong were going to join everyone and was going to make an announcement.

The couple entered the hall, holding hands and went straight to the mini stage built at the center of the place. There were whispers from every one of why the CEO was holding hands with the Mystic Man and a lot more. Their curiosity was short lived when Jaehyun formally introduced Taeyong as his husband.

Yuta and Johnny, who’s with their partners once again, were shocked. The last time they saw Jaehyun, he was on the verge of losing his mind because of his impending divorce. Now, the couple was all smiles. 

Yuta felt Winwin tightened his grip around his.

Taeil and Doyoung were the only ones who were not surprised by what the CEO just announced. 

Cameras immediately flashed on Taeyong’s face. The media raced to asked questions like hungry lions ready to devour their prey. Luckily, Jaehyun was prepared. The security was fast enough to stop them. A lot of questions were asked, but not one was answered. 

Aside from the media, everyone seemed to be happy for them.

Just like Mystic Man, Jaehyun’s husband finally has a face. 

Everyone was dressed to impressed. All the people inside the ballroom were all smiling. Mark knew better, though, none of those people were genuinely happy for what his brother just announced. They were just there because attending the party would be beneficial for them and their businesses.

All his brothers together with their partners were there, even Winwin was escorted by his husband that has a huge smile on his face. His Johnny hyung was all smile with Ten besides him, hands linked like they were glued.

The NCT Corp. has all the reason to celebrate. Aside from the announcement Jaehyun made, they just closed the biggest deal the company had ever had. It was indeed a huge celebration.

With a help of Lucas, his wheelchair was pushed to the middle of the ballroom. His presence or maybe they’re out of place attire got the attention of everyone, including his brothers and their partners.

Mark clapped, and everyone went silent. He almost felt Lucas’s heart beating fast behind him. The latter still thinks that he was out of his mind, but they talked about it even before they reached the venue. It was now or never.

“Congratulations,” He started. They were in the middle of the hall and staring straight at his brother who was still in the stage with Taeyong. Beside them were his friends and partners, getting ready for a toast.

“Thank you,” Jaehyun answered, surprised to see his brother in that state. He hasn’t seen him since that fateful night.

Mark didn't look at him after he said his congratulations. His eyes jumped from Taeyong and Winwin, and Jaehyun swore he saw anger flickered in his brother's eyes.

“Sorry to make a scene. I came here to congratulate my brothers and to ask my brother-in-law one question.”

Taeyong and Winwin looked at each other, their eyes questioning as they waited.

The band stopped playing so the silence was deafening. Mark took that chance and asked, 
“Where is Haechan?”

Taeyong and Winwin paled.

 

 

 

aejae22

 

************************************************************************************

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Please enjoy this update and tell me what you think.

The next update is underway so you don't have to wait longer.

Please send me your love.

if you have questions, please feel free to leave a comment or on twitter. Its exoriancassie.