A Break

Twice's Daughter

Everywhere she went she was noticed as Twice's Daughter. The Monday after the news broke out students at Hanlim Multi Arts School crowded her for pictures or Twice things related. Jihyun has honestly never seen the hallways so full of people,it was like the solidified people from Pompeii came back to life. She pushed her way to her class where Ms. Kwon had to push students away from her room. 

"Anyone who does not clear the hallways now and go to class will get detention!" Eunbi yelled from her classroom door. 

Students ran to their classroom, of course not without having snapped and blinded the daughter of the hour. Jihyun bowed at Ms. Kwon, entered the classroom and hid her head in her arms. She could hear the small chatter from her classmates and she hated it. Before, everyone who walked by could careless. Now, everyone treated her as if she was a god. 

Eunbi had to her everywhere she went at school. Gifts showed up near her locker, in her locker, at her lunch table and her desk. Nako, though the smallest was the scariest, she yelled and screamed for so called friends to go away. Jihyun was thankful for her group of genuine friends, they created a protection ring so she wouldn't get injured... or molested. 

Unfortunately that is not how it all played out, in public away from school at least. Jihyun found it harder to do simple things, like ride the subway, walk down the street, buy groceries, or even meet up with friends. She had it way worse than Twice ever did their first few days. After the small bruises that formed on her arms and legs and a lecture from God Jihyo, there was no room for privacy. Everywhere Jihyun went at least two guards would be present to keep an eye on her. Yeah, they kept their distance but the feeling of being watched always haunted her and now, now it was true. 

Jihyun placed her head on the table in the JYP 2.0 organic dining restaurant, reserved for JYP members. Her head hurt with all the gossips, finger-pointing and high pitched screams. 

"You don't like that great," Nichkhun placed a fedora on Jihyun's head.  

"Khun oppa," Jihyun mumbled. "I don't think I can take this anymore. I get tired after running a block, and it feels like elephants are stomping on my chest." 

"Yeah, not exactly a good time for everyone to find out you're Twice's daughter with that heart condition of yours."

"I don't want to get surgery."

"You know Jihyo umma got surgery. I'm sure she was scared too."  

"It's not even about surviving the surgery anymore. It's more about if I can even survive till the surgery."  

"If you are anything like Jihyo, you are strong."  

"I'm not talking about that I'm talking about the paparazzi, the mobs, and the sasaeng fans," Jihyun began to spin the fedora on her pointer finger.  

"Ji," Jihyo called with a tray of food.  

Nichkhun took his fedora, placed it on his head and tipped it fedora as if he was a cowboy. Jihyun's face lit up with the tray of food sitting in front of her. Jihyun grabbed her chopsticks and reached across the table only to get a slap on the wrist from Jihyo.  

"You said you didn't want any earlier," Jihyo scolded.  

"That was earlier, now I'm hungry." Jihyun pouted.  

Jihyo smiled before she pulled the lid off the rice bowl and piled countless meats, and vegetables on top of the rice.  

"I can't eat all this," Jihyun stared at the bowl with alarm.  

"You will be able to eat it all later."  

The two are in silence for a bit before Jihyo brought up the topic of their own apartment. Jihyun sat frozen with her cheeks swollen with food and stared at Jihyo. Jihyo quickly snapped a picture before she continued.  

"It'll be safer for you." 

"I think it'll be safer for me to be home schooled."  

"Home schooled?" Jihyo questioned.  

"Dr. Kim said I need to be isolated from stress right, school is giving me so much stress."  

"How about instead of being home schooled you go to school here. I can arrange for PD-nim to use one of the conference room as your class room."  

"PD-nim would do that?"  

"I mean, Twice is making all the money." Jihyun choked as she took a sip of water and threw her head back in laughter.  

After dinner, Jihyo and Jihyun made it into the a white mini SUV, or better known as Jihyo's new car. Jihyun sat in the back while Jihyo drove around the streets of Seoul. Jihyun was too busy on her phone to notice where they were going. Her eyebrows fused together when she finally took her attention off her phone and there were no longer tall buildings in the background or the foreground.  

"Umma, where are we going?"  

"Home," Jihyo made a right turn into the Park Resident.  

Normally Jihyun would be angry that Jihyo didn't tell her that they were visiting relatives. Today however, she was thankful cause in all honestly she needed to be away from the city. Of course Seoyeon and Jiyoung weren't there but nothing like a good old Mama Park cooking that can bring up spirits.  

Mama Park stood outside of her home with her arms wide open. Jihyun ran into her arms and so did Jihyo.  

"There's cheesecake inside."  

Jihyun's face lit up, she left her small backpack in Jihyo's arms and ran inside.  

“Such a kid,” Jihyo shook her head.  

“There’s yogurt smoothies too,”  

Like mother like daughter, Jihyo tossed the two bags into her mothers arms and ran I towards the house. Mama Park rolled her eyes and followed the two inside.  

“How long are we staying?” Jihyun asked.  

“How ever long you need to. Twice doesn’t have anything going on,” Jihyo slurped her smoothie. 

“A week?” 

“Yeah we can both use a break.”