Getting Closer

Take A Chance

Suyeon patiently waited as her professor handed back their previous assignment.|
“Miss Kim.” he mused.
She pressed her lips together, “Good job.”, he smiled and handed her the paper.
Suyeon breathed again as she saw her paper with hardly any notes on it.
“That’s it for today class, please read chapter fifteen and be ready to have a discussion over it next class.”

She walked out of the room giddy from the good feedback she received. Pulling out her phone she called Yongguk to tell him about it.“Hey baby girl~” He sang.
‘Hi oppa! Guess what!?” Suyeon plopped down on one of the benches and excitedly waited for him to answer.
“Hm, your next class got cancelled and I can go see you now?!”

Her cheeks turned pink. Of course, out of all the things in the world he would guess something like that.
“Unfortunately no.” she pouted, “I still have to go to class.”

Yongguk frowned on his end, “That was my only guess.”, he chuckled, “Tell me~”
“It sounds more exciting inside my head.”, she giggled, “I don’t want to sound lame.”
“Come on tell me!”, he urged, “You’re not lame baby.”

“I got really good marks on my paper.”, she spoke shyly.
“Wow…” Yongguk coughed, “That is lame.”, he joked.
Suyeon gasped, “What?!”, she squeaked.
“I’m just kidding Su.” He let out a laugh, “Just kidding.”
“Hmph.” She crossed her arms across her chest, as if he could really see her having the fit she was about to throw.

“I was just playing with you baby, that’s great that you did good.”, he said sincerely.
Slowly her lips curved upwards, “Hello~?”, he said in his deep voice, “Are you smiling?”, he teased.
“Yes!” Suyeon admitted, “Yes I am.”

“Well, let’s see what else will make you smile…You’re amazing! You’re beautiful! You’re the smartest most prettiest most-’
“Oppa.”, Suyeon giggled.
“I’m not done!” Yongguk continued, “Most gorgeous girl on the face of the earth!”

He was right, she was grinning like an idiot.
“Now I can’t say anything!”. she whined and covered her face.

“Can you at least tell me when you’ll be out of class?”
“At five.” Her fingers ran along the hem of her shorts.
“My phone’s about to die but, I’ll be there okay?”

She nodded, “Okay then, thank you for making me smile Yongguk.”
He found himself smiling this time, “I’m happy when you’re happy baby.”
Jooyeon is so right,Suyeon thought, I might just be in love with this boy.
“I lo… I’ll see you at five then okay?” ,Yongguk cleared his throat.
“Alright, bye oppa!”

Suyeon hung up and sat back in the bench, the smile still lingering on her lips.
“Suyeon?” Her daze was broken and she looked up.
“Baro!” She stood up to greet him.

“Ah, I see Mr. Hwang’s writing.” He pointed at the paper in her hands.
“Oh yeah.”, she chuckled, “Finally got a decent grade on one of his assignments.”

“Are you ready to endure another one of Professor Lee’s lectures?”, he asked.
“Not even.” She shook her head, “I didn’t even understand his last one.”
“I have a load of notes but nothing makes sense to me…”
Baro frowned, “I could help you…if you want me to.”
“Really?” She blinked, “You sure you want to put yourself through that?”
He smiled, “Come on, you can’t be that bad.”

As she contemplated it he took a look at the time.
“We have some time before class starts, come on we can grab some coffee or something and I’ll help you out.”
It’s not like I’m doing anything wrong, she told herself, Just getting help, one friend to another.
“Sure,” she shrugged, “Why not?”

Baro hid his excitement, keeping on a cool exterior.
“Let’s go!” He said loudly, completely ruining his attempt at being calm.
Suyeon jumped at the volume of his voice, “Okay.” she chuckled.
“Sorry.”, he apologized, “It’s a rarity that I get to hang out with someone other than my roommates.” Let alone the girl I like.

Suyeon giggled, “It’s okay.”
He continued smiling and nodded, “Well come on!”

Baro led the way, almost putting his arm around her shoulders. She glanced at him as they walked and his shyness got the best of him, he quickly put his arm back down and pointed up ahead.
“It’s right down here.”

Their study session went on for about half an hour, Baro being confident that he could help her out. And clear up her confusion he did. How he was able to keep as calm as he did, he’ll never know. It was a wonder to him how Suyeon didn’t notice that he was practically drooling and hanging onto her every word.

“How long have you been working there?” He asked.
Suyeon looked down at the sidewalk as they walked back to the building.
“Almost three years.”, she answered.

“You guys all seem close.”
She smiled, “We’re all family. I’m the most normal though. Everyone else is clinically insane.”

As they entered the lecture hall they felt awkward as he usually sat as far as he could and she sat smack in front. Sacrifices, he told himself, must make sacrifices.
He followed her as she took her usual seat, making the girl who usually sat next to her raise a brow.
“Don’t you sit back there?” Suyeon tilted her head.
He blinked, “Well, it’s always good to get a different perspective.”

She chuckled, “You’re so weird.”


Baro tapped his foot nervously and stole glances from the corner of his eye.
He saw one of his roommates enter the room and give him a weird look. The dark-haired boy looked at their seats further back and then back at him, “Huh?” He tilted his head. Baro cautiously shook his head and shifted his eyes between the boy and Suyeon, trying to explain.

The message was received and he gave him a thumbs up. Baro sighed in relief as he watched him go up the steps, passing up the pair.
“Excuse me…sorry…pardon me.” He turned his head to the right and face palmed.

The boy squeezed through the row, bumping into the already settled students.
As he neared the seat next to Baro he stumbled and barely caught himself.

“Hi.”, he smiled brightly.
A sheepish smile appeared on Suyeon’s face, and she tried not to laugh.
Baro, completely embarrassed, narrowed his eyes at him.
“Jinyoung…”, he mumbled.
“Hi, are you Suyeon? I’m Jinyoung!” The boy ignored his friend and leaned forward to get a better look at her.

She gave him a small wave, “Hi.”
“Alright class.” Their professor entered, “Good afternoon, let’s get this over with…”

“Thanks for helping me out today.” Suyeon gave Baro a smile as they packed up their things.
“Oh, it was no problem.” he responded.
Jinyoung raised a brow and leaned in, wanting to hear better.

“So, I’ll see you around?” He bit his lip, not making eye contact with her.
“Sure, bye Baro. Bye Jinyoung.” She smiled and walked out of the room.

Baro let out a breath and took off his cap, fan himself with his hand.
Jinyoung chucked, “Way to go bro! You finally got your dream girl!”
“Not exactly.”, he frowned, “Getting there though, hopefully.”
Jinyoung put his hand on Baro’s shoulder, “Well at least she knows you exist.”

Outside, Suyeon hopped off the steps and frowned as she looked up. The sky had turned a light grey, threatening to rain. The light rumble of thunder told her it was near too.
“Boo!” Two arms wrapped around her waist tightly.

She jumped and looked up to see Yongguk smiling brightly.
“Yongguk!”, she turned around and stood on her tip toes to kiss him.

As they pulled apart they felt light drops of water on their faces.
“Aw man.” She looked up at the sky.
The clouds were quickly replaced with a black covering above her.
Suyeon looked at Yongguk and saw him holding an umbrella above them.
“Don’t worry, I came prepared.”, he smiled.
“And also~” He stuck his hand inside his jacket, pulling out a white daisy.

Suyeon smiled brightly at him, “How’d you do that?”, she asked, taking it in her hand.
“I’m a magician!” He joked. “Now come on, I want food.”
She giggled and took his hand as he led the way, the rain turning into a light shower.