Challenge Accepted

Take A Chance

“Come on Taehyun!” I said, “I’m going to be late!” I pulled my younger brother along. We ran through the alley to the employees entrance. A classic Kim Suyeon, barely on time for work. My excuse this time? I forgot I had a double shift today. Luckily Junhong called me before I started walking home, otherwise I would have never made it.
“I’m here, I’m on time!” I ran through the back door with Taehyun, still yanking him along. My co-workers clapped sarcastically as they usually do.
“Thank you, thank you.” I bowed.
“Get to work Miss Kim.” my manager, Donghae walked by tossing me my apron.
“Yes Manager~” I faked smiled, taking Taehyun with me to the locker room.

 




I quickly changed into my uniform and put my hair into a high pony tail.
“Okay baby.” I looked at my brother, “You know the drill.”
“Sit calmly at the table and don’t bother customers.” he recited.
“Good job.” I fist bumped him. “This is my first double shift so if you want I can call Ms. Hwang to come get you later.”
He shook his head, “I want to stay with you noona. I don’t like hanging out with Ms. Hwang.” he scrunched up his nose.

I chuckled, “Okay then, suit yourself.”
“Suyeon noona!” Junhong walked in.
“Hyung!” Taehyun beamed.
“Hey kid!” he smiled and ruffled his hair, “You staying today?”
He nodded, “Sweet, I’ll teach you more tricks on the skateboard during my break, that sound good?”
Taehyun smiled excitedly, “Okay then. Well noona, Donghae hyung wants you waiting tables, a lot of people showed up.”

 

I sighed, “Great. Come on.” Junhong led the way out. Junhong was the youngest kid working here, he was in his second year in high school. He grew close to Taehyun and I since he got the job. The little restaurant was always filled with people, and even when it was lunch or dinner hour it still had a laid back atmosphere. Taehyun went to go sit at the small table near the drink station, pulling out a book from his backpack.
I filled a glass with fruit punch and headed to his table.

“Here you go sweetie.” I kissed his head.
“Thanks noona.” he smiled.
“Su! Table five!” called out Donghae.
“I’ll check on you later.” I ruffled his hair and pulled out my order notepad and a pen.
I quickly put on a smile and headed to the customers waiting to order.

 




“Junhong~” He walked up to his assigned table.
“Hey hyungs.” he smiled, “You ready to order?”
They nodded, “Uh, can I get a fourteen.”
“Five.”
“Three, but no onions.” Maslo made a face as he handed him the menu.
Junhong chuckled, “Okay, I’ll get those out to you in a little bit.”

They looked around, Junhong’s job had become a lunch hangout for them since he mentioned working there. “Kuan said he’ll be here in five.” CSP checked his phone.
“I should probably say we ordered without him.” he shrugged. The three rappers made conversation until the youngest of the three became distracted. Suyeon walked by their table with a pitcher of tea. He watched her with curiosity, he had never seen her before. She must be new, he thought, he would have remembered seeing a beautiful girl like her around here.

“Here you are.” he heard her voice. A smile appeared on his face, making the older males look at him with furrowed brows. “You okay Jepp?” asked Maslo.
He quickly turned his attention back to them, “Huh? Oh yeah…” he coughed.
“Would you like a refill?” his head shot up, seeing her smile.
He stuttered, “Uh, yeah…yes please.” he corrected himself.
She leaned over, grabbing the glass and filling it back up. “Thank you.” he said, giving her a smile.
She nodded, “Anything else?”
They shook their heads and she continued on her way.

He mentally sighed, wishing that he did need something in order to keep her around more. “Here you go.” Junhong came with their food.
“Junhongie.” he said.
“Yes hyung?”
“The new waitress, what’s her name?” he looked at her, she was taking new orders.
Junhong followed his gaze, “Suyeon noona? Oh she’s not new, she’s been here longer than me actually. This is just her first time working in the day, she usually works the night shifts.” he explained.
No wonder, he thought. They only came here for lunch, of course he would have never seen her.

“Oh.”, he replied.
“Why hyung?” asked the younger boy, tilting his head.
“No reason.” he coughed, making Maslo and CSP smirk.
“He likes her.” said Maslo.
“Oh our lovesick dongsaeng.” CSP chuckled, sipping his drink.
Junhong chuckled, “Good luck hyung. Suyeon noona is-” he thought of the word, “A challenge.”
A smile lingered on his lips, “Challenge accepted.”